PDA

View Full Version : Cthulhu-ish?

Soft Serve
12-10-2008, 01:35 AM
I don't believe in internet piracy. I just take what I know and add my own systems to it. What I know about Call of Cthulhu (RPG) is practically nothing. BUT I do know that H.P. Lovecraft wrote amazing stories which I am still in the process of reading...rephrase that...enjoying.:biggrin:

What I did for this campaign was take recent inspirations and mash them into something beautiful. A 1920's setting, where (seemingly) random cult activities are growing ever more popular all around the world. I have almost completely done away with magic, and the d20 system altogether. On top of that your character will have no statistics such as Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom, etc. No skills, no feats, no nothing.

Now for my reasoning behind it. Because to me it seemed unrealistic that a man beat over the head with a lead pipe didn't instantly hit the ground just because the cheerleader who hit him doesn't have a high strength score. Tell your little sister to beat you in the head with a pipe and tell me it doesn't hurt because your bigger than her...And on that note, (remember it's 1923) why must I roll to hit a cultist who is standing in front of me, not wearing armor, when if I have a pistol I have most likely received training on how to use that pistol? And why does the bullet no matter where it hits him, not slow him down in any way, shape or form? Because it only did 1d6 damage? oh ok...

My goal was to create a realistic game, where character didn't "level up" and a bullet to the dome is still a bullet to the dome. Your able to take damage just as easily as any of the creatures or people your fighting, and all odds are against you. If this seems unfair, or un balanced, or your too scared to pick it up and try.

Then welcome to my redesigned horror genre.:laugh:

Webhead
12-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Very interesting. If you need some suggested resources for helping put together a basic rules formula to run under your game, let me know. I know a few (very) rules lite systems that might be of use to you and which are actually quite awesome in and of themselves.

Soft Serve
12-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I pretty much set a number you have to beat for everything based on the way everything is developing around it. The creature running straight for the players that's human shaped and sized isn't hard to hit and basically doesn't require a roll unless your aiming for specific parts of it. The kraken which is rocking your boat while swinging you around like a ragdoll in the grasp of one of it's tentacles, which is also partially underwater and hard to judge the distance...that's a harder target.

I pretty much have the system down, and there haven't been any flaws in the way I'm running it except the occasional two players trying to do the same thing at once, or them jumping the gun and poofing themselves to the destination instead of anouncing that they are walking to the destination. Little things like that are as easy to correct as a typo though.

reynorpadilla
12-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Sounds interesting. What times are you playing?

Soft Serve
12-15-2008, 07:58 AM
When we can on Saturday Sunday and Wednesday unless people make schedule changes.

Soft Serve
12-17-2008, 06:52 PM
bump!

Soft Serve
12-21-2008, 05:36 PM
haha another bump. I don't want to let this thread die!!