PDA

View Full Version : Dead Reign

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Has any one heard of Dead Reign? Its a zombie RPG. The date of printing was Nov. 2008.

Webhead
12-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I've heard of it a time or two but know virtually nothing about it. Here's a recent review of it on RPG.net:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14066.phtml

Enjoy.

TAROT
12-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Is this the one by Palladium? Saw it on the shelf, but didn't browse.

Webhead
12-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Is this the one by Palladium? Saw it on the shelf, but didn't browse.

By all indication, they are one and the same. I've not seen a physical copy of this book myself, only heard the name mentioned a time or two.

I wonder if that means it uses Palladium's system... *yuck*

Soft Serve
12-10-2008, 01:57 AM
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14066.phtml (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14066.phtml)

apparently the reviewer wasn't a big fan of it either...

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes it is the one by Palladium.

Web, i'm not sure what the Palladium system consists of exactly, due to my lack of RPGing XP. but i do believe it is that system. I bought the book before i posted.

I had always wanted to do a zombie game. Ever since i play Resident Evil on the PS1.

I do agree with the review on the part of the lack of combat rules. It took me awhile to grasp what they were saying, so i just took what i could and went with the flow for the rest.

We did play our first game about a few days ago. It went smoothly. I actually set it in the city where i live. Chi is player her real life self. Its been fun so far.

I really like the class options. Especially the ordinary people occupation options!

fmitchell
12-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Can anyone compare/contrast to All Flesh Must Be Eaten?

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes please. Give some info on AFMBE! I have been wondering about that game for a while!

fmitchell
12-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Unfortunetely, I've never played AFMBE. There's a bunch of reviews on RPG.net (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/search-review.phtml?productName=All%20Flesh%20Must%20Be%2 0Eaten), though.

Webhead
12-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I own and have played AFMBE. Very excellent game. Indespensible as far as Zombie Horror goes. Highly recommended.

placebosonly
12-12-2008, 08:56 PM
althought AFMBE sounds really good i refuse to buy the game because i and my players would probably only play one or two campaigns with it, and with alittle tweaking i would rather play nWoD mortals for zombie's (how i would work it is pretty simple only called shots to the head would dmg the enemy and it takes full aggravated to bring him down...instant super zombies!)

Webhead
12-12-2008, 09:05 PM
althought AFMBE sounds really good i refuse to buy the game because i and my players would probably only play one or two campaigns with it, and with alittle tweaking i would rather play nWoD mortals for zombie's (how i would work it is pretty simple only called shots to the head would dmg the enemy and it takes full aggravated to bring him down...instant super zombies!)

One of the coolest elements of AFMBE is its "Zombie Creation" system which allows the GM to customize a particular campaign's zombies (read: monsters) to his likings. The most profound example of which is that "the head" doesn't always have to be the weak spot. A particular campaign's zombies might instead be only vulnerable to fire, or to a shot through the heart, or only killed by holy water, etc. As such, AFMBE can be as stereotypical or unique as the GM wants to make it. You could have flying, acid-spitting zombies if you wanted to.

But yeah, if the "zombie" genre isn't something that would hold lasting appeal for your group, you may be better off saving your money for other things. But, the fact that it runs off the Unisystem also means that it is fully compatible with every other Unisystem game if you want it to be (Witchcraft, Conspiracy X, Terra Primate, Armageddon, Buffy*, Angel*, Army of Darkness*). *The latter 3 games use Cinematic Unisystem which is a slight variation but still ultimately compatible with "classic" Unisystem games.

It is a very good game for those who have any interest in that sort of thing.

TAROT
12-12-2008, 10:01 PM
I like the Kung Fu Zombies that pull out their intestines and use them as a whip. :D

(AFMBE's Enter the Zombie sourcebook)

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-13-2008, 05:26 PM
I am partial to the regular Resident evil zombies

Webhead
12-13-2008, 11:05 PM
I am partial to the regular Resident evil zombies

AFMBE lets you do that too! :)

chanceboon
12-14-2008, 11:08 AM
I own both and have played them both. AFMBE walks away with the award though...at least as far as my players and I go.

AFMBE has a much smoother run to it, the mechanics are easy to grasp, simple to use, and very intuitive. The layout is very usable...not like Palladium's attempt...and the game sails smoothly through even the most advanced situation without weighting you down with cross-referenced rules and tables.

Our group did enjoy both, to be fair, but when we play survival horror genre-based games...we break out AFMBE.

Dark
12-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Indeed I love AFMBE and once we used the D20 conversion in the revised book. It was ok but I like the AFMBE rules for the mechanics are easy as well as fun.

Chi
12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
ok we have played twice now but as you can tell we have had it for along time and not played much how do I get my gm to want to play more with me?

mrken
12-22-2008, 11:49 PM
You will have to entice him. ;)

Thriondel Half-Elven
01-17-2009, 01:19 PM
ok had a question. . . Not sure how many of you have played Dead Reign or are familiar with its rules system. i can't seem to figure some things out. Like bonuses to strike. and exactly how combat works.

Thriondel Half-Elven
02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Guess nobody else knows. Oh well. We ended up just changing the combat rules to play easier.

Chi
02-09-2009, 01:12 PM
funner

kirksmithicus
02-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't own Dead Reign but from what I can see (and knowing Palladium) the game probably uses the basic palladium rules 100% or at least 98% (okay bad Palladium joke). So if you have any questions send them to me, I've been playing and GM'ing Palladium games since 1987, so I might be able to help. It's a fairly simple system that has not changed a whole lot since it came out in 1980.

Dark
02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Palladium rules are not too hard to learn in fact I enjoyed playing more than one of their games. Most use the same set of rules kind of like the D20 rules of today for most WotC use. I for one loved Rifts as well as Recon in fact Ninjas and Superspies was fun as well as Robotech.

Thriondel Half-Elven
02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't own Dead Reign but from what I can see (and knowing Palladium) the game probably uses the basic palladium rules 100% or at least 98% (okay bad Palladium joke). So if you have any questions send them to me, I've been playing and GM'ing Palladium games since 1987, so I might be able to help. It's a fairly simple system that has not changed a whole lot since it came out in 1980.

can you give me a basic run down on the combat rules? (just recently purchased the Palladium RPG book at a CON)

kirksmithicus
02-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Sure.

H2H and Melee

Attacker: Roll to hit + bonuses/penalties

1-4 always miss
5-20 (or higher) hit
a natural 20 is a critical hit

Defender: May have some or all of the following options available, dodge, parry or block + bonuses/penalties (or they can do nothing if they so choose or are incapacitated).

If the total attack roll is lower than the total defend roll, the attack fails (because it is dodged, parried or blocked).

If the total attack roll is higher than the total defend roll, the attack hits.

If the attack hits the defender takes damage to either his armor (if using any) or his hp/sdc. This is determined by the AR of the armor. If the attack roll is higher than the AR of the armor, the damage goes to the character. If the attack roll is lower than the AR of the armor, then the damage is taken by the armor.

[ I for one, have always conceptualized the AR of armor as a combination of the % of area that the armor covers on the body and the durability of that armor to absorb damage before giving way to an attack]

next characters turn to attack.

Ranged attacks

Attacking works the same as for H2H and melee attacks. The biggest difference is that you can dodge, or block (and sometimes even parry) attacks from "ancient" ranged weapons (bows, spears, etc), but you cannot dodge or parry attacks from "modern" ranged weapons (you know, firearms, explosions, missiles, rockets, anti-tank weapons, and other goodness).

Well that's the basics anyway. There are a dozen ways to improve the system, to be sure, it's not perfect. But that's what you get when you take a system designed for melee combat and try to add modern firearms and explosives to it. I wish they would do a re-write of the rules, they need a good update and some reworking after 28 years. There are a lot of things that could be done to make it a much better system. However, Palladium has taken the opposite approach to WoTC, which is,...WE WILL NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING....well not until....

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-04-2009, 01:12 PM
kirksmithicus, got a group that wants to try out dead reign. Can you refreshify my memory on the Palladium rules?

Chi
04-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Pabe what is refresfify?

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Pabe what is refresfify?
edited it. sorry can't spell

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Okay. Now i'm going to have to check out AFMBE. I cant resist anymore. Going to Ebay now to scout out the deals.

Chi
04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
What is AFMBE.

kirksmithicus
04-07-2009, 12:24 PM
kirksmithicus, got a group that wants to try out dead reign. Can you refreshify my memory on the Palladium rules?

Which ones? There are a couple. ;)

Thriondel Half-Elven
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
What is AFMBE.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten

Which ones? There are a couple. ;)

I just read the post where you showed me the combat rules. but i'm not sure if the zombies in dead reign get the parry and stuff.

but i guess i mean the ones about the % stuff. i've never played a game with skill % and all that. and char creation is weird.

Chi
04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh ya

kirksmithicus
04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
All Flesh Must Be Eaten

I just read the post where you showed me the combat rules. but i'm not sure if the zombies in dead reign get the parry and stuff.

but i guess i mean the ones about the % stuff. i've never played a game with skill % and all that. and char creation is weird.

I'm not sure either, I don't have the rules for Dead reign, but it should tell you under their description if they do or not. Tell you what, the next time I'm at the game store I can look through the book and check, but that may be a while.

The % thing is not that much more different than rolling a d20. On a d20 every number essentially counts as 5%. 1= 0-5%, 2 =6-10%, etc and so on. So if you need to convert % rolls to a d20 roll to make it easier for you, just divide every % by 5. The Palldium skill system is a roll under system. So if you have a 30% in a skill and you make a skill check, you have to roll under 30 with two d10 to succeed. (if you convert this to a d20 roll it would be a 6 or under, or if you prefer a roll over mechanic, subtract 6 from 20, 15 or higher succeeds).

As for character creation, it's a bit old style.

Start by rolling your attributes. Generally you do this by rolling 3d6 for each one. Of course you can opt to use any method you want or devise, point buy, standard array, but the traditional method is a straight up old school roll. Don't forget, if you roll a 16 you get to toss another d6 and add that to the attribute score. Interestingly enough, using this method does not allow a character to have a score of 16. So you might want to house rule that to a d6-1, to avoid that problem.

Choose

An O.C.C.
Skills
the other stuff (alignment, ht, wt, yadda yadda)
Equipment

That's just the general gist of it, if you have more specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer them.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Which book should i purchase first? Which is the core rules of AFMBE?

fmitchell
04-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Which book should i purchase first? Which is the core rules of AFMBE?

Just one book, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Revised Edition. (From what I know, the main "revision" was to add d20 conversion rules, so the earlier edition will probably work just as well.) It's a little hard to find; you may have to order it online.

Other books either add zombies to an existing genre (fantasy, science fiction, westerns, professional wrestling ...) or add templates for player characters and undead.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Just one book, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Revised Edition. (From what I know, the main "revision" was to add d20 conversion rules, so the earlier edition will probably work just as well.) It's a little hard to find; you may have to order it online.

Other books either add zombies to an existing genre (fantasy, science fiction, westerns, professional wrestling ...) or add templates for player characters and undead.
So the revised edition is d20 rules. Then what were the old rules, d6, d10? I'm curious.

fmitchell
04-07-2009, 04:44 PM
So the revised edition is d20 rules. Then what were the old rules, d6, d10? I'm curious.

No, the Revised Edition still uses Unisystem (d10). There's just an appendix for people who really like d20.

EDIT: Here's a description on Eden's website (http://www.allflesh.com/8020.html) and the listing on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1891153315).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
[quote=fmitchell;68375]No, the Revised Edition still uses Unisystem (d10). There's just an appendix for people who really like d20.

Thanks for the links. :D

PhishStyx
05-20-2009, 06:13 PM
By all indication, they are one and the same. I've not seen a physical copy of this book myself, only heard the name mentioned a time or two.

I wonder if that means it uses Palladium's system... *yuck*

I have it on very good authority that Dead Reign did not turn out as originally intended and awful solely because Kevin Siembieda made it that way.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-17-2010, 12:45 PM
So i'm starting up Dead Reign again. When i started this thread that game had been out for maybe a month. Now its been a couple years. What is eveyones opinion of it now?

Reaperof666
10-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Sounds interesting enough to try. Gotta have a little expirence of everything to narrow down what I can and WANT to play, right? Though, I'll have to refresh up on the material... never really got into it (was busy with 3.5 back then) but it shouldn't take too long if you are starting one and looking for people. I'd just need the details.

But, from what I remember and what I just read, gameplay was, well, not AS fun as other systems, but fun enough to do at least once. I've heard everyone had some fun with their expirence with the system; though the hatred for it, once in a while, far out-weighed the joy of playing it. I guess it just really matters on what mood the players are in, if they enjoy playing anything, and if they want to at least try it. I myself have no opinion, but if i ever play it, I could say something intelligable. I'll stop blabbering on now.

Reaper out.

Zenvis
11-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I love this game. I am an avid fan of Palladium and Dead Reign if done right can be a game that can go on for hours.

texaspaladium
01-27-2011, 02:25 AM
been playing Dead Reign since it came out and we have set down some house rules due to the fact we have some one who wants to try everything. we played RIFTS and robotech before so we have a very good idea of how the system works. we tried AFMBE but even with a good GM it was boring as hell. had interesting zombies but it had no real backbone. with their options system we could never agree on one and even when we did play one of them it had a long way way to go before it seemed real.

Zenvis
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes it is the one by Palladium.

Web, i'm not sure what the Palladium system consists of exactly, due to my lack of RPGing XP. but i do believe it is that system. I bought the book before i posted.

I had always wanted to do a zombie game. Ever since i play Resident Evil on the PS1.

I do agree with the review on the part of the lack of combat rules. It took me awhile to grasp what they were saying, so i just took what i could and went with the flow for the rest.

We did play our first game about a few days ago. It went smoothly. I actually set it in the city where i live. Chi is player her real life self. Its been fun so far.

I really like the class options. Especially the ordinary people occupation options!

I have the game too and have been playing Palladium games for 25 years. This new game is a more edgy and intense game. Other then their games where there is not quite an edge (granted Rifts and the other games can be) Dead Reign is such that it could be played like Zombieland the movie or something that requires more fear and intensity. I like the game and play it with a lot of humor.

MisterBook
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM
You know, in looking over these books I wouldn't mind playing Dead Reign, despite it being Palladium.

mindravel
04-28-2011, 04:09 PM
AFMBE is good for a short campaign. You need a really good GM to keep it going past a few sessions. Its mostly due to the lack of a solid background world. If you go by their few pages of "lite" campaign info (called a Deadworld), then you will only get a few sessions out of it. Also, the genre itself is hard to keep stretching to something interesting. You need to focus a lot on npcs, and inner character conflict (with allies and enemies, or with supplies, i.e, the generator goes bad, uhoh!), the zombies will get old, and looting and hording gets boring. Check out the Walking Dead series to see how they can make a zombie theme series interesting into further sessions (they focus alot on npc turmoil, most good zombie ANYTHING does, its the bad zombie movies that just have the cast fighting zombies all night, though I love'em anyway).

The rules for AFMBE are pretty simple and to the point. Its not a perfect system though. They have this set-up about declaring actions before a turn, and penalties for multiple actions, and penalties for melee, and recoil penalties, that could have been better addressed in their books. It seems the majority just let the players take their turns, and ignore recoil (considering that AFMBE only used one gun as an example of possible recoil, but they never explained recoil when using a burst, or explained other shooting techniques better). So they arent that polished, same with Palladium. So both have this edge that you use what you want and change as you wish.

Dead Reign has a great campaign background. They also have good substance. Their random charts for items, locations, and events, are really well made. Using this with any other post-apocalyptic setting would always be worth its cover-price over and over. This is less do it yourself than AFMBE. Though you can tailor AFMBE after Deadreign (use the charts, create DR zombies using AFMBE zombie creation rules). The OCCs (classes) are well thought out, especially the one that trains dogs. They are very creative, and a class that trains dogs to sniff and hunt out the dead was something that I would have never thought up. Also, they have specific zombie rules for combat. Its called the convergance, which basically means that when you see a zombie, and it sees you, either run, or kill it now. It will alert all zombies in its radius. It adds a creepy tense flavor to the zombie game as players have to scramble and run, or use some serious stealth to get by. Lastly, their npc enemies that arent zombies are also well thought out. Crazy religious nuts, societies who fall to savagery and cannibalism, with stats and background info. So, a lot of substance.

I understand the rules of Palladium is a problem for most people. But frankly, I dont see how unisystem is any different. I can point out the lite-ness of it, and the lack of clarification of certain rules. Most Palladium people use the same rules without problem, they pretty much defaulted to a standard. Unless there is issues with OCC balance that bothers most people, which is understandable. You can fix this with awarding weaker OCCs with better items. But I never liked cookie cutter balanced classes, it gets too mathy for me, too programmed. Either way, after a few sessions, chances are one character might get lucky and get items before others, which can unbalance the characters anyway, or a PC can make alliances with powerful npcs, etc.

Dark
05-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I've played both and I like both depending on my gaming mood if I was to choose it would be Dead Reign but hey thats my choice to each their own.