PDA

View Full Version : The Classic Fantasy Game

Janisy
12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I just found one of the most amazing fantasy games that I have ever played. It is an indie fantasy game that some guy put together about two years together. It is about as classical as you get. He says he is coming out with a supplement very soon and as soon as he does, you bet I will buy it. Ya you do have to pay for it ($10) but trust me, this book is very much worth it. It has a very simple but complete system that seems to take a bit of something from many popular systems.

I learned about it through an email I recieved from my friend who got turned onto it by a post he read. He forwarded me the post and instantly I was intrigued. It took me forever to get ahold of the guy who created it, but when I did, I instantly bought it.

He says he is coming out with an introductory adventure people can buy for only a $1! I guess this is how he makes his living is selling gaming stuff. But trust me, this game is worth every bit of it! If you are interested let me know and I will give you his email address.

Do you think that $10 for a good indie game is bad?

Bearfoot_Adam
12-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Does this big tube of wonderful have a name?

Janisy
12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
lol sorry. Was just excited to share it with you. It's called Realms.

TAROT
12-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Do you think that you will find it as entertaining as one movie?

MortonStromgal
12-10-2008, 10:05 AM

No, pushing indie games makes better games for all.

1958Fury
12-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Does this big tube of wonderful have a name?

Nothing to add to the thread, just that I really like the phrase "big tube of wonderful". Sounds... dirty. :D

Bearfoot_Adam
12-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Nothing to add to the thread, just that I really like the phrase "big tube of wonderful". Sounds... dirty. :D

If only I could take credit for it. It's a line form Chasing Amy.

fmitchell
12-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Does the B. T. O. W. have a link? Searching for "Realms RPG" in Google is frustrating, to say the least.

Thanks.

1958Fury
12-10-2008, 12:17 PM
If only I could take credit for it. It's a line form Chasing Amy.

Never saw it. :redface:

Janisy
12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
fmitchell I have no idea if this guy has his own site or not. I emailed him and paid and got the game through email. If you want his email address let me know and I will private message it to you.

Jcosby
12-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Why, Pribate message the email, if it's his way of contacting customers I would think he would want to get it out there.

Give more info on the game, or at least how we can find out more about it.

JC

Janisy
12-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Ok his email is briggswriter@live.com

It is set in the world of Fehara (fey-are-e-ah) and is totally fantasy. There are six Orders(Knight, Wizard, Thief, Druid, Priest, Witch) and a couple Higher Orders (like prestige classes) and each has their own skills and such. What I like most is that it is high fantasy, but magic and such is rare. There are no guards walking around marketplaces with Wands of Antimagic.

I think it is very much worth the price as it comes with an introductory campaign (you start in the town of Erian where some goblins are hiding in the magic forest and killing dryads to chop down trees to make way for their brethren to come) and a complete campaign world.

Now this may turn people off (but it made no difference to me) he wrote only his stuff. He used a lot of technical stuff from other games (such as the description of attributes) because he wanted to concentrate on the setting material. It really makes no difference to me because he gives those games credit at the end, but some may not like it.

The system is really cool. It has a very realistic health system and everything is pretty straight forward and easy to learn.

What caught my eye was the Karma system. This is an optional (but recommended) rule that he created for this game. In the world of Fehara the concept of Karma is a powerful force. This concept may seem a bit confusing at first, but the system is not too hard. Here is a little example from a gaming session last night because I am not sure I can accurately describe it.

[Karma Example]
My character Natalin, a young witch from the village of Ter'Agin, is adventuring with Mithra, a female amazon (knight) from the island of Ethia. They are searching the Ruins of Infadim to see if any lingering evil remains (all these places are explained in the book). Camped a half days journey away I use my divination powers to fire scry. We start a fire, etc. and I learn that bad things lie ahead etc.

Anyways. Near dawn we are attacked by 2 skeletons (not as weak as in other games). A battle ensues and at the end (by some unlucky rolling, we should've been able to take them without so much damage) I am pretty badly wounded. Mithra tries to stabalize my wounds but fails. So I am rolling Survival to stay alive and I fail. This is where Karma comes into play. Since my character has shown compassion and kindness even in the face of descrimination, I have a pretty good Karma score. The GM asks if I want to roll Karma, and I say yes. We roll and succeed and because of my good Karma, my life is spared by the Goddess.

[End of example]

It is a very unique game with an amazing setting. Email him if you want, hes a real nice guy.

fmitchell
12-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Without the apparently non-functional FONT tags, this is:

Ok his email is briggswriter@live.com

It is set in the world of Fehara (fey-are-e-ah) and is totally fantasy. There are six Orders(Knight, Wizard, Thief, Druid, Priest, Witch) and a couple Higher Orders (like prestige classes) and each has their own skills and such. What I like most is that it is high fantasy, but magic and such is rare. There are no guards walking around marketplaces with Wands of Antimagic.

I think it is very much worth the price as it comes with an introductory campaign (you start in the town of Erian where some goblins are hiding in the magic forest and killing dryads to chop down trees to make way for their brethren to come) and a complete campaign world.

Now this may turn people off (but it made no difference to me) he wrote only his stuff. He used a lot of technical stuff from other games (such as the description of attributes) because he wanted to concentrate on the setting material. It really makes no difference to me because he gives those games credit at the end, but some may not like it.

The system is really cool. It has a very realistic health system and everything is pretty straight forward and easy to learn.

What caught my eye was the Karma system. This is an optional (but recommended) rule that he created for this game. In the world of Fehara the concept of Karma is a powerful force. This concept may seem a bit confusing at first, but the system is not too hard. Here is a little example from a gaming session last night because I am not sure I can accurately describe it.

[Karma Example]

My character Natalin, a young witch from the village of Ter'Agin, is adventuring with Mithra, a female amazon (knight) from the island of Ethia. They are searching the Ruins of Infadim to see if any lingering evil remains (all these places are explained in the book). Camped a half days journey away I use my divination powers to fire scry. We start a fire, etc. and I learn that bad things lie ahead etc.

Anyways. Near dawn we are attacked by 2 skeletons (not as weak as in other games). A battle ensues and at the end (by some unlucky rolling, we should've been able to take them without so much damage) I am pretty badly wounded. Mithra tries to stabalize my wounds but fails. So I am rolling Survival to stay alive and I fail. This is where Karma comes into play. Since my character has shown compassion and kindness even in the face of descrimination, I have a pretty good Karma score. The GM asks if I want to roll Karma, and I say yes. We roll and succeed and because of my good Karma, my life is spared by the Goddess.

[End of example]

It is a very unique game with an amazing setting. Email him if you want, hes a real nice guy.

Windrider687
12-11-2008, 10:49 PM
The 'Karma' system isn't too unique; a lot of homebrews use it - my group uses a system literally the same as that, and other similar functions of that nature.

fmitchell
12-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I wasn't sure whether Karma was tied to some notion of Absolute Good, or simply playing your character. If the latter, there's:

Fate Points in Spirit of the Century
Drama Points in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel
Fate Points in the latest version of Basic Role-Playing
Fate Points and Character Points in the recent D6 versions
Style Points in Hollow Earth Expedition

And the list goes on ...

Between having "a lot of stuff from other games" and the rest of your description, I detect a faint whiff of "fantasy heartbreaker" around the game, and I see why he hasn't even put it up on a web site. I'm completely systemed out already. I think I'll pass.

TAROT
12-11-2008, 11:45 PM
AKA Fate Points, Drama Dice, Void Points, Bennies, Hero Points, Conviction, Action Points, Fortune Points, Inspiration, Plot Points, Karma Points, Drama Points, Luck, Joss, Chi, Willpower, Fate Chips and so on.

Webhead
12-11-2008, 11:48 PM
AKA Fate Points, Drama Dice, Void Points, Bennies, Hero Points, Conviction, Action Points, Fortune Points, Inspiration, Plot Points, Karma Points, Drama Points, Luck, Joss, Chi, Willpower, Fate Chips and so on.

Whatever you call 'em, I dig 'em! Especially Fate Points, Karma Points, Drama Points and Force Points (D6).

TAROT
12-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Fairly standard for any system that is attempting a cinematic feel.

I guess the first time I saw them would've been Top Secret (Fame Points & Fortune Points), somewhere around 1981.

My preference is towards mechanics like Adventure!'s Inspiration/Dramatic Editing, which gives players more authorial control.

Webhead
12-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Fairly standard for any system that is attempting a cinematic feel.

I guess the first time I saw them would've been Top Secret (Fame Points & Fortune Points), somewhere around 1981...

First time I encountered the mechanic was the Star Wars D6 RPG with its "Character Points" and "Force Points".

...My preference is towards mechanics like Adventure!'s Inspiration/Dramatic Editing, which gives players more authorial control...

Same reason I really like FATE/SotC's "Fate Points" and Cinematic Unisystem's "Drama Points".

Bearfoot_Adam
12-12-2008, 12:02 PM
My preference is towards mechanics like Adventure!'s Inspiration/Dramatic Editing, which gives players more authorial control.

Ok first you mention Sharpe's in one thread and then you mention Adventure!, my favorite game I never got to play, in another. I must say that your taste is superb.