PDA

View Full Version : First victories / the Return session motivation

Etarnon
12-08-2008, 04:17 PM
This thread is inspired by Life*Angel*, who requested such stories in a different thread.

Essentially, what first victory or thing encountered in D&D inspired you to keep playing, i.e. what was the hook in D&D, that kept you coming back to the table.

Ie, what kept you "In a dark room, with players on either side, looking at dice, pretending it's real."

Could be an actual victory, cool plot, players, DM, storyline, cool items, whatever.

Maelstrom
12-08-2008, 04:42 PM
The Gold Box games... Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc.

It was easy to jump from that to P&P D&D

Kalanth
12-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Going back on it all the first victory, the first real thing to keep me into D&D was the first serious campaign I ever participated in. The group was a bunch of high school seniors and I was a freshmen at the time. My brother had been playing and in one of those classic TV sitcom moments my Mom tells him to "bring you brother along." Showing up I was handed the role of the cleric, but the last real serious character I played was a fighter. I had no idea what to expect.

From that group I met my best friend of 16 years now. We still talk about the characters and stories, exploring the lands of Narnia together and the grand battles we fought side by side. That group introduced my to the Dragonlance novels and inspired me to run my own game, one that would last nearly as long as the original (2 years) and be just as memorable.

That is the real draw to games like D&D. The stories and the adventures, screaming at each other while pretending it is all real, that stuff is fun. But in the end it is the friendships and moments you share in a social event that really make D&D special. I can tell stories about how well I twitching my fingers to get Epic Tier armor in WoW or something, or I can tell them about when my rogue climbed attop the dragons back and slayed him with a short sword between the eyes.

Wulfenstien
12-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Going back on it all the first victory, the first real thing to keep me into D&D was the first serious campaign I ever participated in. The group was a bunch of high school seniors and I was a freshmen at the time. My brother had been playing and in one of those classic TV sitcom moments my Mom tells him to "bring you brother along." Showing up I was handed the role of the cleric, but the last real serious character I played was a fighter. I had no idea what to expect.

From that group I met my best friend of 16 years now. We still talk about the characters and stories, exploring the lands of Narnia together and the grand battles we fought side by side. That group introduced my to the Dragonlance novels and inspired me to run my own game, one that would last nearly as long as the original (2 years) and be just as memorable.

That is the real draw to games like D&D. The stories and the adventures, screaming at each other while pretending it is all real, that stuff is fun. But in the end it is the friendships and moments you share in a social event that really make D&D special. I can tell stories about how well I twitching my fingers to get Epic Tier armor in WoW or something, or I can tell them about when my rogue climbed attop the dragons back and slayed him with a short sword between the eyes.

That was beautiful man. And so true, the thing that Kept me In DnD was my ultimately my friends, But having my second charachter be a Halfing ranger that would make Belkar Blush certainley helped (for those of you who read order of the stick :lol: and if you dont start.)

Grandore The Giant Killer
12-09-2008, 09:06 AM
What kept me playing? Really I was addicted almost instantaneously. I mean I was a guy who played all of these card games like Yugioh and made friends that way. That was until I found D&D which was a whole hell of a lot cheaper to play. Seriously all I need are my folder of character sheets, some pencils, my dice, and some money to buy munchies whenever we need to refuel.

My first real major victory aside from the few forest and dungeon monsters here and there was with who I think my best character is. At the time he was known as Grandore The Smasher. He went into a cave for shelter which was a den for a pack of Werewolves. So I throw down with them and the battle woke up a Hill Giant that was apparently sleeping in the back of this huge cave. He comes out and needless to say he wasn't too pleased. He killed the remaining werewolves and that was when he turned and started attacking me. Other players would've been scared and ran but did I? No! I stood my ground and fought that Hill Giant to the death! I slayed that giant and as he died he fell over onto a mountain sending an earthquake to the neighboring village. This is what starts "The Leged On The Giant Killer".

cplmac
12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
What kept me playing was the fact that there really wasn't a whole lot to do when you had some "down" time over in the desert in the Persian Gulf.

The first "victory" was that there was two of us that survived the "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth", my dwarf Flemin and an elf Weslocke. We did manage to obtain the three items we were sent to get along with a couple of other items. The creatures guarding the other items is actually what managed to kill most of the rest of the party.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-09-2008, 03:10 PM
My first real victory came 5 years after I started gaming. I'd been in lot's of different games from D&D to the whole white wolf line and had huge amounts of fun fighting black spiral dancers, Tzemece (spelled wrong) war ghouls, and evil wizards. But I only felt victorious when I ran my own campaign. when 5 other people came to me to be entertained and amazed once a week. In hindsight I think the campaign was mediocre and cliched but they all enjoyed it and I feel like it gave me the confidence to one be a better player, and two run a game myself. And that is what has kept me in the hobby

tesral
12-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I was hooked from the start. I can't say there was a defining victory that got me into the game. The Demo by TSR was pretty lame, but it hooked me. I was the first DM. I would have to say that helped hook me into it forever.

Inquisitor Tremayne
12-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Out-thinking the DM.

or

Out-thinking the players.

Thats what keeps me interested because it is always a challenge!