PDA

View Full Version : Rookie mistakes in role-playing!

ChaunceyK
12-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Sometimes we bring a brand new rp'er into a game & they make the dopiest of assumptions & we can't help but sit back & roll our eyes at them...

"How could they be so dumb?" :rolleyes:

...but we were all rookies of role-playing at some point. Its easy to point a finger & laugh at someone else, so lets name some of the dopier things we ourselves did when we first started playing! I'll even start it:

I was used to playing Sierra's adventure games on my pc, where you pretty much had to pick up everything that wasn't nailed down because 99% chance said you'd need it at some point. So here I am in D&D for the first time, and we're finding tiny little bells. Well, if they're there, they must be good for something! So my dwarf keeps picking them up & shaking them all along the way, convinced that at least ONE of them would have some kind of magical properties. He's shaking bells, talking normally to the rest of the party (eg, not whispering & trying to be quiet), walking around in his noisy plate mail, carrying a lit lamp, when we come upon a group of monsters. What do you think is the first thing I say to the DM after he announces combat has begun?

"You forgot to roll to see if we surprised them."

Yeah...noisy little bugger of a dwarf can't figure out how they knew we were coming. :laugh:

Kalanth
12-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Nice one, gotta love that.

My rookie mistake would be this. Playing a cleric in the party we were exploring a mummy’s tomb and came across some sarcophagi that were neatly arranged on the far walls. Looking these over I realized that there was writing on them that stated something like, "Don't open me else you feel my wrath." Course, I was naive to this even in video games at the time so I figured the DM was just kidding and opened the sarcophagus. I was actually shocked when the four mummies exploded out into the room and attacked us. I was so sure the DM would not pull that kind of trick on us... :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Here's one regarding an incident regaring myself and a friend who was playing DnD for the first time. Long story short, his character tried to steal from my character, and when caught, he ran. Seeing as how i was faster, in desperation, he announced that he was drinking his oil of invisibility.

Another time, in the same game, he broke his weapon(crit failure), he then announced that he was hitting the monster with his +3 platemail.

Pretty funny stuff. We all had a good laugh.

SpiffyBananaFoot
12-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm not exactly sure if this could be considered a role playing mistake or just a general mistake, but one of my first mistakes which I made twice before catcing on was getting into combat with a Tavern Owner and Shop Keeper. It wasn't until I died a couple times that I realized that just about every town NPC was a retired adventurer.

Malruhn
12-07-2008, 03:49 PM
When I started, it was Basic D&D - and we gladly ignored the section that talked about that "alignment" stuff.

My first campaign with that brand new "AD&D" stuff was eye-opening, when my female character... on the FIRST night with a new group... captured a bandit, and she took one of his arrows, broke the tip off and was about to catheterize him with it - to find where his treasure was.

Yeah, I got a crash-course in alignment that night!! :lol:

Etarnon
12-07-2008, 08:06 PM
In 1979, As a new DM all of age 13, I thought werewolves were cool, so I set up this adventure on the moors, just outside of this dinky little starter village, my first ever map, my 2nd ever adventure, after running the little mini adventure from the map in the 1e DMG.

The idea was the players would find werewolves and wolves, beat up on the wolves for a few weeks, and finally take down the main werewolf.

But to let them know that werewolves inhabited the area, I had the party meet a werewolf (with the idea that they'd run, outclassed.)

So the party hears of kids getting snatched, there's a reward, they are exploring, looking.

The werewolf shows up, and starts attacking.

Instead of running the whole party.. [thinking this is the only thing they got to kill], start whaling on it, and hitting, but "Mysteriously doing no damage." (Because it needs magical weapons to hit a werewolf in 1e AD&D.)

So they are hitting and hitting this thing with nat 19, nat 20, etc, but no damage. They think, (And say) okay it's got thick fur, we need to chop it's fur off... we need to burn it.

So after more rounds of fruitless combat, three party members go down, morale fails, and the lone survivor finally runs back to town. I rule he escapes, while the werewolf has dinner on the other three.

At that point, People are all irritated (and rightfully so) rolling new PCs asking me, "what is the deal. What were we supposed to do?"

So I explain to them about the magic weapons needed to hit. Right there, half the group quits for two weeks, telling me i need to learn more about what I am doing, because this AD&D gaming is some stupid crap.

But eventually they rejoined, I learned about plotting and pacing, and it became a pretty cool group to play with.

Grandore The Giant Killer
12-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Well I think it's safe to say we all have done some dumb things in the history of playing D&D. The worst game I've ever played was the time I played only having 2 hours of sleep. I was going through a cave and the DM said "There are holes with green ooze coming out of them." So like an idiot I say "I look through one of the holes." Needless to say my character ended up missing an eye ball and was poisoned. I still am hearing crap over that one.

One time we were playing with a new kid and this kid had no frikken idea what he was doing. For one thing we have to put up a ring to speak out of character. So my DM has his NPC lizard named Spike, an 8 foot lizard who is a trap master and basically an Alchemist in front of him. Since he's a lizard he can store gems and small items in his stomach. Spike was making him pay a fee for his services and swallowed the gems that he got. That was when this guy was like "Dude! Spike is a pig!" WITHOUT PUTTING UP THE OUT OF CHARACTER SIGN! Yeah needless to say that character is now impaled on some jagged stones at the bottom of a dungeon now.

Etarnon
12-08-2008, 07:17 AM
"There are holes with green ooze coming out of them." So like an idiot I say "I look through one of the holes."Classic.

Kind of like the time we had twilight:2000 characters defuse a dud grenade that landed in our midst...by taking it apart...

...to make it "safe to handle." (Because you know, in the world of torpedoes, you got to "make it safe." lmao.

After we were done in game, (and no PC got blown up, because my PC had Ordnance disposal skill, naturally), the lightbulb goes on, and I look up from my sheet, and look at the DM and say, "yeah, that was really really stupid, wasn't it?"

DM: "Yeah, kind of makes me wonder what kind of crazy things you guys get into at the torpedo shop on base, with 100 lb warheads and detonators and such."

Me: "Yeah, well, familiarity breeds contempt. And we got fuel with cyanide in it, too."

DM: "Uh huh. Sometimes idiots are just lucky enough not to get killed, too. In a game."

So I learned a life lesson on that one.. from a game.

And 20 years later, I am out with all my fingers and toes, so i guess I did it right.

tesral
12-08-2008, 07:54 AM
I announce that it's morning. The one fellow blurts out "Do I wake up?"

Classic

Life*Angel*
12-08-2008, 02:08 PM
u know i would probably make all these mistakes still even after reading them...
i am new to rpg's shuch as D&D. as a matter of fact i think i only played 2 times the entire 19 years of my life. i didnt see the point in being in a dark room with guys on both sides of me yelling at the dice as if it were a real life charater. but when i stop to think about it..... it kind of is. i have been reading forms all day today. i happened to see this site out of the coror of my eye, and it hit me. idk why i decided to look into it, but now that i did im facinated. i want the experiance those guys in that room are getting. add a little bit of fasination to my life....... anyway on the topic of newbie mistakes..... i would have to ask this, could anyone show me some pointers into the games? im new and would love to just blow things up, but someone tell me a story of when u achieved your first victory....

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-08-2008, 07:30 PM
u know i would probably make all these mistakes still even after reading them...
i am new to rpg's shuch as D&D. as a matter of fact i think i only played 2 times the entire 19 years of my life. i didnt see the point in being in a dark room with guys on both sides of me yelling at the dice as if it were a real life charater. but when i stop to think about it..... it kind of is. i have been reading forms all day today. i happened to see this site out of the coror of my eye, and it hit me. idk why i decided to look into it, but now that i did im facinated. i want the experiance those guys in that room are getting. add a little bit of fasination to my life....... anyway on the topic of newbie mistakes..... i would have to ask this, could anyone show me some pointers into the games? im new and would love to just blow things up, but someone tell me a story of when u achieved your first victory....
That's what makes these mistakes so funny, for as veteran players, we all made these mistakes in the beginning. It's sort of a right of passage and an unwritten rule that you cant be a true DnD player till you do something funny.

1958Fury
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I drank from a fountain I shouldn't have. When the DM uses way too much flavor text to describe a simple water fountain, it's either going to be really good or really bad.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Or how 'bout this one: Gargoyle statues are never-ever just statues. LOL

ChaunceyK
12-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I remember one time, the DM went from subtlety (passed a Wisdom check that told me "Something doesn't seem right") to absolute bluntness (something like "An apparition of your dead grandfather appears before you & tells you NOT to wear the necklace!") to keep my dwarf (who else?) from wearing a necklace we found. Yeah...with his Saving Throws, he was our guinea pig.

Of course, my curiosity got the best of me.

The necklace stripped my dwarf of all reasoning when it came to monsters. If we encountered them, it took something like 3 members of the party to hold him back from attacking the monsters while the rest of us tried to negotiate with them for the information we needed. We warned them we had an insane dwarf, and if they weren't reasonable with us...well, we just let the dwarf go off into a berseker-like rage on them.

At the end of that particular adventure, the local townsfolk thanked us & removed the curse from him. We were amazed, as players, to think there could be something like a "Remove Curse" spell that we might one day be able to learn.

Windrider687
12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
One of the biggest stupid moments I remember in role-playing was a time when my party had descended into a tomb; we were moderately powerful characters at this point, and had generally proven ourselves to be very effective at getting things done, and done well.

So anyway, we were sent down in this tomb to recover one of several artefacts we had been contracted to gather; our employer explained the artefacts were keepsakes of his clan (which we later found out in the finale of that arc, that he lied and the artefacts were items of legend...)...

...so we're in the tomb, and there really hasn't been anything in our way of anything too complicated - a few golems, and garden-variety undead. We had a cleric with us who solved most of those issues. Then, we came upon the main chamber...

...the GM had saved the big one for this point; we had to fight a Lich. No matter what you play, everyone knows a Lich is bad. There was a single Lich, to our six people, when the odds are 6 to 1, you know the Lich is powerful.

The Lich could also summon undead and all sorts of nasty creatures as cannon fodder as well. The artefact that the Lich had, was the Crowne of Thorns, it was essentially a phylactery essence artefact for the Lich, which meant a part of its existence was right in the Crowne. So the battle begins, per usual in RPGs, one character decides in a small chamber to use our game's equivalence to Alchemist's Fire. He died. So it was down to me, a cross between a wizard and a monk, the cleric, and a generic warrior type (he couldn't die except for certain cases). We had two other members of our party, a psionic, and I honestly forget what the last person was. Well those two people were actually hatching a great idea - hit the Lich in the head, and knock away the Crowne of Thorns, which would weaken the Lich and we could destroy the phylactery (we had access to a Blessed Fountain, which would've done the job). Instead, after the other character knocks the Crowne off with a natural 20, the psionic character's player pauses...

GM: "You've knocked off the Crowne of Thorns, the Lich is noticably angry, but definitely looks impaired."

PSIONIC CHARACTER: "Okay, I put the Crowne on my head."

GM: *Chokes* "Wait, what?"

PSIONIC CHARACTER: "Yeah, I was going to put the Crowne on my head."

REST OF GROUP: *Sigh*, *Moan*

GM: "Well okay then, you've begun the agonising and painful process of becoming a Demi-Lich, and you are essentially possessed by the Lich's essence now."

FORGOTTEN CHARACTER: "Okay, I'm going to try and take the Crowne off his head."

FORGOTTEN CHARACTER: *Rolls* "Shoot! I rolled a 1."

GM: *Laughing.* "Well, instead of trying to take it off, you crash into him, you both hit your heads on the sarcophagus, and are knocked unconcious."

"The Lich is about to swing his sword, when upon seeing this, he pauses and scratches his head; next player gets a bonus to strike since the Lich is dumbfounded."

I am the next player.

There was something I didn't mention about the room; the pereimetre of the room was surrounded by an abyssmal chasm...yeah...

WINDRIDER: "I charge my staff with a spell and I make a leaping impaling attack." *Rolls* "Umm...umm....uhh...yeeeaaahhh...errr...I rolled a 1..."

GM: "Yeah...that's not good; one word: 'Splat.'"

cplmac
12-09-2008, 11:58 AM
When playing 2E D&D for the very first time, I was running the Dwarf fighter, Flemin in the "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" campaign. My fellow players has said that it would be better and easier to start by playing just a fighter. Anyhow, we get to a place in the caverns where we have to get someone to the other side of an underground river that was 60 feet below where we were standing. Since I had exceptional strength, I tell the DM that I throw the Halfling theif, Dunil over to the other side that is about 50 feet across with all my might. He tells us ok, and tells me to roll and see if it works by rolling as an attack roll. Wouldn't you know it, I roll a 1. The person running Dunil groans. The DM laughs and says that the theif has landed on the other side. We are all amazed and the person running Dunil says that she goes over to where the rope is on the other side and pulls the bridge across so that the rest of the party can go over. The DM says that she can't that. Player asks, "Well why not?" DM, "Because you're laying on the ground unconscious after slamming into the rock wall on the other side. Oops. This was when I first learned that failures could be cool.

Of course, another person who was playing for the first time also, now suggests that he uses the flying ability that his sword has to just fly over and pull the bridge across. This prompts a, "Now is a good time to remember that after I'm unconscious" from Dunil's player.

Wulfenstien
12-09-2008, 05:47 PM
My biggest rookie mistake was actually in a game of md20. I was a charismatic hitman and a had a job to take out this one guy... well anyway while the rest of my team went undercover in the building the mark was in i find an corporate office building adjacent to the one my mark was in. So i do all this fancy tounge work (you guys are sick. and you know why) well long story short i land my self in a sort of auditorium that was pleasently empty. I unpack me fancy french rifle (first mistake there always buy british or american when goin for sniping) Clip on silencer ect. Unfoutrunatley Im way to high to get a good shot but i descide to go for it. I miss... 3 times... and while my weapon was silenced i was in an auditorium wich made alot of noise. Subsequently the siren roar of arriving police force me to pack up, I unlip my silencer (clever me, dern thing was worth more than the gun) Pull the fire allarm to through the building and the cops into panick and then I made my escape to the fire exit! Brilliant I thought! until the cops started banging away at me with 9mm's! it was there my dm informed that I had forgot to drop my rifle..... Well again long story short i get landed in jail with grevios wounds (wich actually ended up in one of the most badass escapes ever) and subsequently the rest of my team proved as inefectual as my aim because they all got killed or captured in the attempt of acheiving what i could not.

Most baddass team of hitmen ever :cool:

Life*Angel*
12-10-2008, 10:09 AM
hahaha, these are all very good stories..... so it seems like you guys ( and gals which ever u prefer :p) have a great time with these.... i will have to look more into it.

and i got one for you...... just last night my gm said we heard banging on dorrs (keep in mind we are in a room filled with "dorrms" there are rooms down the whole hallway and there is only an elevator) well me being retarded, decides to open the door when a 40 ft. bulky giant looks at me, risses to his feet, and chasses me halfway down the hallway, (lucky for me i shot his eye and the dice rolled in my favor)

now who in thier right mind would open the door when they knew something bad was behind it???? .....well me..... being the new guy and looking for action i almost killed my party lol.

but its a memory i will now hold for the rest of my life:biggrin:

Kalanth
12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
hahaha, these are all very good stories..... so it seems like you guys ( and gals which ever u prefer :p) have a great time with these.... i will have to look more into it.

and i got one for you...... just last night my gm said we heard banging on dorrs (keep in mind we are in a room filled with "dorrms" there are rooms down the whole hallway and there is only an elevator) well me being retarded, decides to open the door when a 40 ft. bulky giant looks at me, risses to his feet, and chasses me halfway down the hallway, (lucky for me i shot his eye and the dice rolled in my favor)

now who in thier right mind would open the door when they knew something bad was behind it???? .....well me..... being the new guy and looking for action i almost killed my party lol.

There you go, my friend, you have just had your right of passage moment! :)

Webhead
12-10-2008, 12:53 PM
...now who in thier right mind would open the door when they knew something bad was behind it???? .....well me..... being the new guy and looking for action i almost killed my party lol.

Interesting is always better than boring. I don't play my characters as suicidal, but I'm one of those who prefers to charge forward if the rest of the group stalls to hem and haw for too long. Give me adventure or give me death! ;)

Inquisitor Tremayne
12-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Mind would be not informing the DM of my special abilities to the detriment of my character and ridicule by the other characters.

It was a human shadowdancer who kept hiding in plain sight but not moving. And either my DM was not aware of my hide in plain sight ability or he was rolling the miss chance to hit me and getting lucky and hitting me everytime.

After the encounter the other characters ridiculed me and one actually attacked me and punched my character in the face.

Needless to say I was embarrassed and that was the end of THAT character. Then came along my human order of the bow initiate super archer lady of awesomeness!!!

Webhead
12-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I suppose one of my earliest memorable rookie mistakes was thinking that "Dragon Dice" were somehow used to play D&D. Yes, I was a noob once too. :redface:

Life*Angel*
12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
adventure it is my friend! :D

i had one heroic moment..... idk if this is too off topic, but (me the new guy) has to tell you about it:)

my party had just entered a dark room with water up to our ankels.... there was a door right in front of us, and a staircase behind us. ( we had come from the stairs)

my charecter heard crying in the room. so i decided open the door just a little and peek inside. this is when i saw a woman on the floor and just as i go to speak, the woman steps into the light and reveals a disfigured face ozzing some kind of liquid from the mouth and the eye sockets. we tell her to stay calm but she rushes me. my buddy shot at her but missed and i was to close to try and reach for my gun ( i forgot to pull it out) so on pure instinct i think of THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!! and i kicked her right in the face.....

now her being a bad guy must mean she has cat like reflexes so she catches my foot and pulls me to the ground. thats when the girl member in my party put the shotgun to the back of the head and blew it off.... of cousre i was stunned with blood all over me, but i cant help but laugh at my little spartan kick ( for all of you who have seen 300):lol::lol:

Webhead
12-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Very cool. Sounds like you were having a lot of fun, and that's what RPGs are all about.

Life*Angel*
12-10-2008, 03:32 PM
who new hard core jock who would never touch a game un less he was able to play sports on it.....would love this so much lol.

and indeed it was fun.

so web head....... give me a time where your avi died......

Webhead
12-10-2008, 04:01 PM
...so web head....... give me a time where your avi died......

Well, that I can recall, I've only ever had one character who died. That was my favorite D&D character, Cev (pronounced "Kev"). A gnome Fighter/Wizard. We had come all the way from level 1 to level 20 when we faced off in an epic battle against a huge elemental spider made out of magma. As a front-line, melee combat intensive warrior, I was its prime target...and I got beat down. Fortunately, after the battle was won, our party Cleric was able to bring me back to life, but even so, the sacrifice cost my character most of his best gear which was melted away by the creatures' fiery attacks. That game was full of awesome battles. We had a very talented GM.

Etarnon
12-10-2008, 08:41 PM
We once had a GURPS pirates game where my DM had this really cool carribean island all mapped out with about a population of 500.

We had a pirate ship of 150 crew attack the island, pretty much shot some rounds at the shore, set a few buildings on fire. No answering fire, but we saw no flag of surrender. So we had the crew board the boats, and go ashore, figuring okay we'll take their rum, and some pigs, maybe loot a few taverns or something. (as this was our third pirate battle, and we hadn't yet met anything remotely like resistance, having boarded a dutch merchantman, an already burning english sloop, and dealt with a small village of natives.)

Arriving and attacking the seaside town from two sides, we had a little urban combat on the perimeter where the villagers were using muskets, sniping at us.

Emboldened, we massed up in lines, and went full force trying ti intimidate the defenders with our ferocity.

The devolved into sword and musket combat in the streets, them sending flaming wagons at us down little cobblestone streets, with burning hay and such.

Ended up, my PC (The captain, "Francois de la Croix") Led the attack on what passed for the town armory, where they had all the gunpowder stored.

At this point, the villagers REALLY poured it on, (we were using the mass battles system by this point) using all the ammunition they had, really taking chances. Our guys rolled well, their guys rolled Exceptionally terrifically well.

Battling in the streets, the pirates gave almost as good as they got.. but it wasn't good enough.

Gaining the inside of the armory, musket fire is pelting the stone walls of the armory, my PC captain had been hit by muskets six times, and run through by a rapier, and was bleeding to death, with no hope of survival.

Too late to order a retreat (as we were so heavily engaged), we fought on. My PC died, and one by one the villagers picked off our pirate leaders in this little armory, as the remaining guys loaded, and reloaded, with the GM ruling we were spilling powder everywhere, but the survivors fought on, for hours, until darkness fell.

Hours passed and with a kind of carribean stalemate, what was left of a trio of the pirate leaders, plus a cabin boy were wounded and batterred, and all had fallen asleep from exhaustion.

So time passes and the GM narrates: "It's pitch black, you all feel a sea breeze coming in through the musket holes in the heavily battered and bolted oaken door. You can't see the hand in front of your face."

The cabin boy, (who had played all of 1 session of Gurps prior to this), says: I light a torch to see.

GM: What are you striking the match off of?

Cabin Boy: The floor, it must be stone....

GM Okay, then. Roll.

Amidst cries of "NOOOOO!" from the pirate leaders the kid rolls, and blows it, and thus:

GM: Your match strikes the rough stones of the floor nearby, and hits a stray pile of powder.. it flares, up, sputters, and finally makes a bright flame... leading to a keg....

So by then we all as players were like "good job, man, great finish" laughing and clapping at the irony of having survived all this crap, only to get offed by a rookie mistake. but it was a great, fun, epic battle.

So the next session, I was DM, and the group was a bunch of federation officers, aboard the Federation Starship "USS Majestic NCC-21900", patrolling along the Romulan border, led by the former DM as captain-PC.

ChaunceyK
12-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Amidst cries of "NOOOOO!" from the pirate leaders the kid rolls, and blows it, and thus:

GM: Your match strikes the rough stones of the floor nearby, and hits a stray pile of powder.. it flares, up, sputters, and finally makes a bright flame... leading to a keg....

So by then we all as players were like "good job, man, great finish" laughing and clapping at the irony of having survived all this crap, only to get offed by a rookie mistake. but it was a great, fun, epic battle.

Holy crap, that's a hilarious finish!! Good that you had a group who could look at it more as a fun story than just whining "But my character...he's dead now!"

I've gotten very attached in the past to some of my characters, but somehow its easier to let them go after one adventure rather than after several. Regardless, great story!!

ChaunceyK
12-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Here's one that wasn't a rookie mistake, but we definitely should've known better by then...

We'd been adventuring for awhile, we were pretty successful & gaining a reputation for ourselves in the game. We were all Lawful, except for my Neutral thief (I've mentioned him before on here), and we were traveling through an open plain at some point.

We came upon a single gypsy wagon, and thought it'd be a fun diversion. So we stopped, examined some trinkets, and when they offered to "read our fortune" we accepted. My thief, noticing that the ring on the gypsy's finger was much nicer than anything offered up for sale, eagerly stepped up when she asked for someone's palm to be read.

So she's reading his palm, telling us of what we already know we're heading into (I don't remember for sure, but I think we were on a quest to retrieve a holy item), and giving the usual "It'll be a rough road, but if you persevere, you may succeed" schpiel. Well, the DM announces that thief is just mesmerized by the ring, it looks REALLY expensive. Remember, we're all Lawful except him.

Stepping back into the real world for a moment, having our characters become successful, our own egos were starting to swell. We're starting to think (as players) that we're the "shiz-nit" as it were. So my fellow player starts egging me on..."Look at your stats! Go on, try to swipe it!" I'm like "I dunno, everyone else is Lawful, it doesn't seem like something I should be trying, especially with them all watching me."

Our DM pipes up..."If you wanna try it, go ahead. Its reasonable to assume that the party knows your skills, and that they've given you 'the look' before when they want you to use them. Just say the word & they'll give you the look." Seems he noticed we were getting a little too full of ourselves lately too, and he had something planned. That should've been our biggest clue for what was in store, but we didn't think about it at the time...he just kept telling us how nice this ring was.

"Ok, since the party is in agreement, I'll try to pocket it when she's done reading my fortune. I'll thank her, and kiss her hand & try to pull it off."

I made a good roll, but she noticed...and I don't mean she just suspected, she knew what he was doing. I guess she wasn't merely a Level 1 Peasant. :confused:

She & her one male partner start casting, so we broke out the weapons on our side. "Ah sh*t...", I muttered, "I don't think this was such a good idea."

We ain't hitting nothing with our weapons, our spells are barely scratching them, and meanwhile we're getting blasted with Magic Missiles and Lightning Bolts. So we do what any good Lawful party who just tried to steal something for the first time in their lives would do...we start running.

We're beginning to long for the Magic Missiles & Lightning Bolts, because now not only are we no longer attacking, we're getting rained on by an Ice Storm. Mind you, we're running around like "The Three Stooges meet The Marx Brothers meet The Keystone Cops."

In a nutshell, we got our @$$es kicked, big time. No one died, but that was our version of learning that "shop owners are retired adventurers."

Soft Serve
12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
World's luckiest Lich!

I've GM'd for a game where my players thought they were so super strong after killing 4 bugbears that one of them attempted to walk straight into an Orc camp. I had a GMPC at the time playing a Ranger, we had two rogues, and a Barbarian.

Barbarian charges a patroling Orc guarding his camp of about 15. He rolls a 1 on the charge, get's his ax stuck in a tree and falls flat on the ground. The Orc looks over at him and calls him a joke telling him to leave. The player deciding to sell his party out for his life points to our position in the trees as I elt loose an arrow (on a natural 20) that hits the Orc in the head and kills him instantly. The Barbarian then sets fire to all the tents, only to discover that the orcs who inhabited them were hunting in the distance and came battle ready surrounding the ashes of their camp...

Needless to say Barbarian died, and took most of his party with him. Only one rogue got away long enough to make it back to town where the guards had him arrested for attempting to steal medical supplies from a military cargo shipment.

Goodtimes.

Etarnon
12-10-2008, 11:53 PM
I dunno if this qualifies, but here it is...

On my neverwinter nights server, I had a rookie DM with the keys to the server, in his first ever solo scenario when no other supervising DMs were around, after he passed his DM test, and after he completed his "I write an run a scenario as my final exam, running it with experienced DMs as my NPCs, helping me."

So this guy is now an official DM of my Land of Etarnon server, by his lonesome, on the midnight to 6am DM shift, with no players on.

We found out the rest of what happened via server logs.

He's bored, practicing creating and destroying stuff (NPCS, objects) at random, having two dragons fight each other and watch...armies of kobolds fighting armies of goblins to see the battle...normal stuff that all DMs of NWN normally do when let loose, only instead of doing this in the DM test area, (A special area that players can't get to) he's doing it live in the online game server.

So a few days later, I get a complaints from a few players.

"Dear Head DM: What the **** is up with the new encounters running around in the swamps? My 6th level PC got ganked, and with no raise or rez, i'm dead. I made a new PC, but W T F?"

"Etarnon: Heads up. Some bad ass undead are killing PCs off. People are pissed. Take a look at the Swamps area South, near the bogs."

As a DM avatar, I travel invisibly to the swamps area which before was supposed to be wolves, badgers, minor hunting targets like wild dogs, stray cats, and the occassional bear, near it's cave lair, along with trees to cut wood to support forestry, and perhaps a lost oxen.

I wander around, and I'm seeing rotting corpses, in the fog, flies buzzing around, and piles of bones and such, pools of dried blood, and little else moving.

Turns out, 1st level DM, messing around has spawned Three full power LICHES, and set them loose, and forgot to clean them up, thus letting players in game with PCs stumble into them.

So now, as part of the permanent server campaign history, once a year, the liches return on an anniversary of some long lost to history incident, and the locals are told "Stay the hell away from yon swamps, or you are dead."

When confronted the guy denied doing such a thing, yet of course logs proved it was his work. So, he resigned, I sent out emails of apology, and that was that.

So I think this qualifies.

ChaunceyK
12-11-2008, 12:11 AM
lmao, too funny... :lol:

stryker7
12-11-2008, 02:27 AM
A couple years back, my sister, who at the time was very new to D&D was coming along with my low level party into some strange demon keep, eventually we stumble into a dead end room with a strange fountain in the center and 4-5 holes in the walls. my sister curious as to what was up with the fountain tries to cup some water and take a drink. Thing is she can't pull her hand up, only put it into the fountain. after contacting the strange substances, snake creatures pour out of the walls and make a beeline right too her, so the party springs into action to give her some time to get out of the fountain.

She struggles for about while everyone else is fighting, and then gets and idea.... (and not a good one) she slowly slides her arms, both legs and eventually submerges herself fully into the fountain, never being able to pull herself out of the fountain, by the time the battle ends and we realize what was happening we run over only to stop short, because if we get in we'll get stuck too..... basically it was some type of liquid stone that had to be smashed in order to get out.... so basically she drowned herself in stone... think abou that one for awhile... lol, good times.

1958Fury
12-11-2008, 09:29 AM
On my neverwinter nights server, I had a rookie DM with the keys to the server, in his first ever solo scenario when no other supervising DMs were around, after he passed his DM test, and after he completed his "I write an run a scenario as my final exam, running it with experienced DMs as my NPCs, helping me."

Heh, I probably could have told almost the same story. :lol: I hosted a NWN server for a few years, and we definitely had our share of rookie DMs accidentally leaving deadly practice spawns in inappropriate places.

Or sometimes, the DM might enlist the aid of a player to test something, and will set the player to "invincible" for testing purposes... then forget to remove it when the testing is over. :redface:

Histati
12-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Player 1 has a small spider crawling on him... Player 2 decides to shoot it off him with his cross bow...

Webhead
12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Player 1 has a small spider crawling on him... Player 2 decides to shoot it off him with his cross bow...

Yep. I've seen that a few times.

DM: "The ooze is crawling over your face."

Player 1: "Oh no! Somebody help me get it off!"

Player 2: "I'll attack it with my short sword!"

:rolleyes:

mrken
12-11-2008, 10:03 PM

You just reminded me of a continuing situation. One of the players in my game prefers to play ranger types, and always stands back and uses his bow. Well, in my game if you shoot into a crowd you take the chance of hitting another character if you miss your target and everyone knows it. I don't know how many times he has shot into a fight between a PC and an NPC. Generally he misses his mark and hits the PC. He has crippled, maimed and killed several PC's including two in one session. I don't really understand his thinking here. Neither does my son who has been crippled and killed twice now.

Etarnon
12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Or sometimes, the DM might enlist the aid of a player to test something, and will set the player to "invincible" for testing purposes... then forget to remove it when the testing is over. :redface:

Certainly I've done that, myself.

Or set the HCR Settings wrong for infinite respawn, etc yeah. Oh yes.

:)

Webhead
12-11-2008, 11:01 PM
You just reminded me of a continuing situation. One of the players in my game prefers to play ranger types, and always stands back and uses his bow. Well, in my game if you shoot into a crowd you take the chance of hitting another character if you miss your target and everyone knows it. I don't know how many times he has shot into a fight between a PC and an NPC. Generally he misses his mark and hits the PC. He has crippled, maimed and killed several PC's including two in one session. I don't really understand his thinking here. Neither does my son who has been crippled and killed twice now.

Yeah, that's a sticky one too. I've seen that happen a time or two myself, and consequently seen characters get badly injured, but I've not had a stray shot actually kill a friendly PC or NPC by mistake. My players usually wise up after the first misfire.

I like that Savage Worlds included an "Innocent Bystanders" rule that makes it quick and easy to know when a shot is a clean miss and when it hits someone the attack didn't intend. It will make it easier to solidly incorporate the concept into my games while discouraging rambo style autofire into allies' melee combats.

Malruhn
12-11-2008, 11:25 PM
My eldest daughter got bit by the gaming bug a couple years ago. After an adventure or three, the party was looking for a ring of featherfalling for her. They found the obligatory Ye Olde Magic Shop and she went in to haggle. I did minor role playing just to see how effective the party would be in purchases.

The running price was 1200 gold.

"I'll sell you this wonderful ring at 2000 gold -and it's a steal at three times that price!"
"NO CHANCE!! I won't pay anything over 2500 gold!!"
"???"
"Hmmm, well, in that case, how about 3000?"
"Um, er... "
"Okay, darn it!! 3500 but not a copper more!!"
"Well, all right..."
"Thank you, Sir!"
"Um, and thank you Mistress. Come back soon!"

She never did understand how to haggle. The party nearly wet their collective pants when they heard her trying. There were TEARS rolling down ALL of our faces.

Ain't kids the bestest?

ChaunceyK
12-12-2008, 07:18 AM
She never did understand how to haggle. The party nearly wet their collective pants when they heard her trying. There were TEARS rolling down ALL of our faces.

I have to ask...age of said daughter/player?

Kalanth
12-12-2008, 07:38 AM

Ain't kids the bestest?

That is outstanding! I haggle for a living as an injury adjuster and I would love a claimant to come along and haggle like that! :D

1958Fury
12-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Certainly I've done that, myself.

Or set the HCR Settings wrong for infinite respawn, etc yeah. Oh yes.

:)

Or how about when a new DM hits the button that teleports all the mod's players to his location?

Etarnon
12-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Or how about when a new DM hits the button that teleports all the mod's players to his location?

Oh yes. City of Arabel did that at least once a night, when running quests for a half dozen people.. but then there were 30 payers standing around, going How..? and having to walk back from the city to the boonies.

Good times.

Or how about building the module to test it, and putting the start flag in the newest area, save it, recompile, and let it go live so that al new players log in to lolth's demonic underdark kill fest slave pen, even as people brand new to the server, as level 1?

I used to do that once a week...

bitbucket
12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
I ran a wizard in a 2nd edition D&D campaign years ago. Our DM was great and tightly controlled what magic items and spells got into the party...consequently my character was 10th level and didn't have fireball yet.

We were attacked by another adventuring party. Our party fought them off and they retreated in disarray - we killed a couple of them, one guy surrendered, and their magic user, who had cast a fireball at us, teleported away. We interrogated the survivor, who told us that their party wizard lived on Braal.

Reasoning that the most direct way to get a fireball spell was to take it from someone who already had it, and in keeping with our party's "revenge list" of people/groups that had thwarted us at some point in the past, I convinced the party to go to Braal so I could hunt this wizard down.

After reconning the wizard's house, I broke in. Unfortunately he was awake and partially ready for me. We attacked each other with spells initially - mostly magic missiles - he got a minor globe up so I closed to melee.

So we have two 10th level wizards rolling around on the floor in a Chicago knife fight over a 3rd level spell...:fencing:

cplmac
12-13-2008, 09:11 AM
When you put it that way, it is rather funny, but then that "little" 3rd level spell can do some serious damage, especially when thrown by a level 10 mage.

Steventylerbray
12-24-2008, 02:11 AM
this involves me (a paladin) and one of my best friends (a cleric)

ok, we are searching through this ancient underground city when we walk into this bathroom. our DM describes the bathroom in and focuses on the holes used as toilets and a water basin filled with green goo.

we walk up to the basin of goo and the DM tells us that there is a shiny golden ring at the bottom of the basin

i tell the cleric that he should reach in and grab the ring.

he listens

well now we have a cleric with only one hand.
i promptly press a button on the wall which drains all the goo out of the basin and i take the ring for my own

then i go to search the stalls and I get the feeling that there is something in the hole

well, i climb down and check.

there was nothing

for the next week i was covered in dry poop until we come across a river for me to wash myself in

our cleric then says, "you know i could have created water for you this whole time"

i threw him at a tree

akela122301
12-24-2008, 06:17 AM
I got a good one for y'all. I was playing a ranger, and was in a party including a sorcerer, barbarian, rogue and cleric of Helm. We were at about 12th level, and had pretty much wiped the floor with everything we had come across for a good while. So, we all said, in varying words, "We're unstoppable" "We are invincible", etc., etc. Our DM raised his eyebrow, and said, "Reeally" and rubbed his hands together, like the classic villian.
So, two sessions later, our party comes across this little halfling. Now, we had forgotten about our little display of hubris, and our DM's reaction.
So, the halfling challenges us all to a battle. Everyone attacked with their various weapons/spells, and we all got nat 20's.
It did NOTHING. The halfling laughed it's head off, and all of a sudden, became this super powerful rakshasa wizard, who proceeds to annihalate all of us.
Needless to say, we all nearly perish. We were only saved by divine intervention, when a GOD teleported us back to the last village we had rested in. One of Helm's messengers appeared, and proceeded to berate us all for our arrogance. One of our party was still stupid, and tried to argue. So he got teleported back to the fight, and the rakshasa disentegrated him.
So, there are rookie mistakes, and then there's this kind of veteran mistake.

cplmac
12-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Yes, veterans can make rookie mistakes. Although, sometimes this may be due to not getting to game for quite a while.

Our current group that I am DMing for has all been in the situation that everyone has not gotten to game for quite some time, even years for some of us. At one point the party comes across a camp and is met by 3 Orcs that are guarding the entrance. One goes to get help while the other 2 hold the group of 4 off. One of the party went to get the rest of their group and a large battle started (which can be found on the Tsojcanth campaign thread). After winning the battle and checking everything out, night was rapidly setting in. They decided that since there was a perfectly good camp site, complete with tents and cots, they may as well camp here for the night. The next morning, they get ready and proceed on their way to the next place noted on their map. When they go to make camp at that night, one of the players now mentions, "Guess we never gave it a thought to say that we take some of the tents with us." As the DM, I told them that I thought they would do that but since they didn't say about it, no they did not bring any with them.

The next day they continue on and manage to find a village of gnomes. The party stays and gets healed up and rested. They did manage to be sure to buy some more provisions for themselves and their horses. When they set out to continue on, they once again realized that they forgot to see if they could have got some tents from the gnomes, when they stopped to make camp at night again.

When we last ended, the party was heading back towards the gnome village to unload some treasure and see if they can get some tents. So far they have been lucky that when I roll to see if there is rain, the only time it came up there was a cave that they were able to get in out of the weather.

nijineko
12-24-2008, 11:15 AM
i remember one of the early groups that i played with, i was in my early to mid teens... i was playing a halfling. i was in the middle of battle, and somehow wound up in-between everyone and out of reach of any of the enemies. so looking over my equipment, i noticed that i had a 10' pole. being a boy scout at the time, i had prudently spent my starting gold on lots of gear that might be useful. anyhow, i suddenly had the inspiration of using the pole to pole vault over my allies into the enemies to do a dive bomb kinda attack.

well the dm ruled that while i start the pole vault on my turn, it didn't take effect till the end of the round. so i pole vault at an enemy... who promptly gets killed by another player on their turn. resulting in my pole-vault-boot-kicking a corpse for lots of damage. this happened about 4 or 5 times. every time i tried to pole vault, my target died before i hit them. and not by the dm either, just because the other players managed to kill them first! ^^

the poles turned out to be great for trap testing too, so some of the other players wanted some. turns out that i had been carrying 3 10' poles all this time. on my halfling. yeah. this prompted a dm inventory check with some quick adjustments. =D never really thought of the ramifications of a 3' character carrying three 10' poles. heheheheh.

Malruhn
12-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Sorry about that... my non-haggling daughter was about 14 at the time. She's now almost 16 and I just haggled with her to get her to clean her room...

"So, you want to go to the mall? Tell you what... you're gonna have to clean your room first."
"Okay. What about the laundry?"
"Well, how about finish the six loads of laundry AND your room."
"If I fold it and put it away, can I go to the mall?"
"Sure, can I get you to do more?"
"I just want to go to the mall."
"How about you vacuum out the living room and steps too?"
"If I do that can I go to the mall?"
"Well, if you clean your room, do the laundry and vacuum..."

I ended up laughing and ruined the moment. She still doesn't get the concept. Her 13 year old sister gets it... she just doesn't have that gene in her, I guess.

Aidan
12-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Personally, I always carried an 11' pole...for those things you wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

cplmac
12-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Funny enough, there are a couple of characters in our group that have a 10 foot pole. Since they acquired an extra horse and a big wagon, they both keep those poles in the wagon when not in use so that they don't have to carry them. The last game session they were actually used them to check the ceiling of the cave that 6 Ogres came out of to make sure there wasn't a trap at the entrance.

Webhead
12-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Funny enough, there are a couple of characters in our group that have a 10 foot pole. Since they acquired an extra horse and a big wagon, they both keep those poles in the wagon when not in use so that they don't have to carry them. The last game session they were actually used them to check the ceiling of the cave that 6 Ogres came out of to make sure there wasn't a trap at the entrance.

That reminds me of something. There was a supplement published for the Role Master RPG that was called "...And a 10-Foot Pole". It was a pseudo-equipment guide covering material goods from weapons to furniture and everything inbetween that would be available at different technological eras from the Stone Age to the Information Age. And, yes...it included a listing for a 10-foot pole.

Ever wanted your character to own a butter churn? It was in there along with era-relevant pricing.

tesral
12-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Dude, I never adventure without a butter churn. :biggrin:

1958Fury
12-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Is the butter churn at least +1?

tesral
12-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Is the butter churn at least +1?
At least a +2 butter churn of salting.

cplmac
12-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Do different flavors give various advantages?

sleipner
12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
I always wondered when the rubber band was invented, and how effectively it could be used as a weapon (and yes, I've studied the weaponry part. It is VERY deadly). Does that supplement have anything on rubber bands?
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Ah well, might as well add my own.

On my very first game, I played a human fighter (start simple, right?), and for some reason or other, the rest of my team consisted of sorcerors/wizards of either neutral or chaotic neutral standing, plus one halfling rogue. We went into a town looking for people, and the only one around was a blacksmith. One of the wizards got him talking about ale, trying to find the best in the town. The rest of the party was growing very bored and annoyed with his antics, and eventually one of them persuaded me to get rid of our wizard's conversation partner. I attempted to do so, and learned very early on that anyone that makes weapons probably knows how to use them. Needless to say, with my 'teammates' being as helpful as they were, I was soon rolling a new character.

tesral
12-27-2008, 06:16 PM
I always wondered when the rubber band was invented, and how effectively it could be used as a weapon (and yes, I've studied the weaponry part. It is VERY deadly). Does that supplement have anything on rubber bands?

Ever dealt with a wrist rocket? Rubber bands can make an effective weapon indeed.

sleipner
12-28-2008, 05:46 AM
This calls for a new feat!

Exotic weapon proficiency (rubber band)

And I have a great idea for a band-ssassin.
Lastic von Snappenheim

darthseb
12-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I've got a story.. I think. Is it a rookie mistake to pick an alignment that is completely opposite from the rest of the group?

Well, my first D&D campaign, I played a halfling pally, lawful-good-aligned, and everyone else was some form of evil. (they put 'unaligned' on their sheets, but their actions were all clearly evil.) And about in the middle of our adventure, an NPC joins us. It's a goblin named Splug, and he carried a hand crossbow. He fought alongside us for a bit, but then we found the goblin that was his 'boss.'

Everyone else in the group assumed this goblin boss did terrible things to Splug, and it seemed like the lawful-good paladin elephant in the room was ignored. So my pally spoke up.. Then the group starts speaking different languages, going to great lengths to let Splug enact 'revenge' on this other goblin.

So Splug kills his boss, and once I see the crime scene, I go after Splug and kill him. The other PCs race me to be the first to kill him, and even though towards Splug's ending the others intend to kill him, I get chewed out for it. "You killed Splug, you idiot!" "I liked Splug!"

Next time I'll figure out what everyone's playing first.

wbrandel
12-29-2008, 01:32 AM
I remember my first foray into D&D (basic) I, 8 years old and playing a fighter back in 1981. the party I was with were waiting in a tavern for our contact to show up from some noble. So here comes some guy dressed in black with an arrogant demenor (and everyone knows bad guys dress in black, right) I mistake him for a baddie and attack him (a good hit nat 20) killing him instantly (he was yelling at us at the time for something or another). my action took the entire party by surprise so no one could stop me. Needless to say the DM was quite put out and had my character tried, convicted, and excuted. everything went good until the excution bit the rest of the party stepped in and broke me out of the jail. we were on the run from that noble for the rest of the campaign. the rest of the players were upset at first then they got a big laugh out of it, and never let me forget it (No Drake! don't kill him!)

Soft Serve
12-29-2008, 04:00 AM
I like letting my player's have wings sometimes because they will abuse the flight so much.

If you ask my cousin how most of his stories end after he pissed me off in the game by saying something like "Well I'll just fly away." or "You can't catch me if I fly over here!", he'll tell you "and then the wind picked up...":biggrin:

this involves me (a paladin) and one of my best friends (a cleric)

ok, we are searching through this ancient underground city when we walk into this bathroom. our DM describes the bathroom in and focuses on the holes used as toilets and a water basin filled with green goo.

we walk up to the basin of goo and the DM tells us that there is a shiny golden ring at the bottom of the basin

i tell the cleric that he should reach in and grab the ring.

he listens

well now we have a cleric with only one hand.
i promptly press a button on the wall which drains all the goo out of the basin and i take the ring for my own

then i go to search the stalls and I get the feeling that there is something in the hole

well, i climb down and check.

there was nothing

for the next week i was covered in dry poop until we come across a river for me to wash myself in

our cleric then says, "you know i could have created water for you this whole time"

i threw him at a tree

Man that sounds pretty shitty...:drum:

1958Fury
12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
I remember my first foray into D&D (basic) I, 8 years old and playing a fighter back in 1981. the party I was with were waiting in a tavern for our contact to show up from some noble. So here comes some guy dressed in black with an arrogant demenor (and everyone knows bad guys dress in black, right) I mistake him for a baddie and attack him (a good hit nat 20) killing him instantly (he was yelling at us at the time for something or another). my action took the entire party by surprise so no one could stop me. Needless to say the DM was quite put out and had my character tried, convicted, and excuted. everything went good until the excution bit the rest of the party stepped in and broke me out of the jail. we were on the run from that noble for the rest of the campaign. the rest of the players were upset at first then they got a big laugh out of it, and never let me forget it (No Drake! don't kill him!)

That's great, it sounds like something out of Knights of the Dinner Table. :lol:

ChaunceyK
12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
i remember one of the early groups that i played with, i was in my early to mid teens... i was playing a halfling. i was in the middle of battle, and somehow wound up in-between everyone and out of reach of any of the enemies. so looking over my equipment, i noticed that i had a 10' pole. being a boy scout at the time, i had prudently spent my starting gold on lots of gear that might be useful. anyhow, i suddenly had the inspiration of using the pole to pole vault over my allies into the enemies to do a dive bomb kinda attack.

well the dm ruled that while i start the pole vault on my turn, it didn't take effect till the end of the round. so i pole vault at an enemy... who promptly gets killed by another player on their turn. resulting in my pole-vault-boot-kicking a corpse for lots of damage. this happened about 4 or 5 times. every time i tried to pole vault, my target died before i hit them. and not by the dm either, just because the other players managed to kill them first! ^^

the poles turned out to be great for trap testing too, so some of the other players wanted some. turns out that i had been carrying 3 10' poles all this time. on my halfling. yeah. this prompted a dm inventory check with some quick adjustments. =D never really thought of the ramifications of a 3' character carrying three 10' poles. heheheheh.

This whole scenario reminds me of my first adventuring party back in the mid/late 80's. Bear in mind, there were no "Strikers" doing extra damage back then, it was just your weapon + Strength bonus. There were also no labeled pictures of the weapons we were choosing, and we were all brand-spanking new to the game, so we did our best to learn as we went along.

So at some point, our Halfling got enough money together to buy this really high-damage weapon. We figured "Hey, what's good for the Halfling is good for us!" So he's using his weapon, doing great damage & such, when the DM discovered something a bit unrealistic about the Halfling doing such mass amounts of damage. Mind you, we were innocent enough about our using it, so imagine our surprise when the DM informed us just how big a pole-arm was & how impossible it was for a 3-foot, 60 pound, chubby little Halfling to be using it. (Again, this was the 80's when Halflings looked a little different).

wbrandel
12-30-2008, 01:27 AM
That's great, it sounds like something out of Knights of the Dinner Table. :lol:

Now that you mention it, it does sound like a KODT story, but I haven't thought about that first foray into gaming for years until I read some of these posts.

InvestFDC
12-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Shodowrunners are aware of a device called the shock glove. We had a guy who, among many, many jaw dropping activities, used the shock glove on an almost daily basis. Everything was "shock glove fixable" to him. Dead car battery jump starter, bug zapper, interrogation tool, defibrulator(I wet myself during this session), illegal fishing device, computer chip ruiner, 4th of July sparkler, signal device, joke handshake buzzer. Oh, and occasionally, it was used to subdue people in a non-lethal fashion as per the intended purpose, but this was very rare.

cplmac
12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
I probably would have had that guy get a severe shock himself when he stuck that glove in water to use it to fish with.:shocked:

Soft Serve
12-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Shodowrunners are aware of a device called the shock glove. We had a guy who, among many, many jaw dropping activities, used the shock glove on an almost daily basis. Everything was "shock glove fixable" to him. Dead car battery jump starter, bug zapper, interrogation tool, defibrulator(I wet myself during this session), illegal fishing device, computer chip ruiner, 4th of July sparkler, signal device, joke handshake buzzer. Oh, and occasionally, it was used to subdue people in a non-lethal fashion as per the intended purpose, but this was very rare.

That is byfar my favorite Shadowrun story yet.

It's not even a story...but still I cracked up reading that.

Grandore The Giant Killer
01-08-2009, 03:24 AM
I made a huge mistake with my Warlock Drow a few weeks ago. I was on a mission to put a piece of this king's skeleton into this tomb so he can finally rest in peace. Everything was oging good so far. I got 4 poison weapons from a knight I killed that was riding on a colossal sized insect thing. I ran down a few halls where there were some treasure chests. So I opened one chest and it had some goodies in it. Opened a few more that had some stuff. Then suddenly I opened another chest I came across and it turned me into a damn skeleton. I forgot to look at the damn lock! It was a Necromancer's lock. Oh I was chewing myself out that whole game. However here is the real hilarious part. My huge whoopsie severely helped me out. Because I snuck past literally like 36 monsters including an army of 30 skeleton warriors. What the other monsters were I don't know. When we run across a random battle like that my DM tells us to roll 1 D100 and 1 D20 and lets fate pick our poison. The best part was I was turned back to normal when I ran into a room that had a caged up demon with a golden javelin that reincarnates him every time he dies. I finished the game with 4 poison weapons and 2 Dread Wraith Shalls and as a reward my DM has scrolls of random items or spells he or other players came up with. Every time we finish a quest he lets us dig into his sack of scrolls and pick one out. I now have Trevok's Blade Of Rust for that character. All because of that stupid mistake I made

InvestFDC
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
One of the instances of the misuse of the shock glove. Sniper is on the roof of a six story building, the two of us have circled around the building and Player 1 has climbed the fire escape to the fifth floor and I am on the ground. Player 1 has a chameleon cloak and an assault rifle. The sniper comes over the roof edge and begins to descend the fire escape. When the sniper's knees are at Player 1's eye level he fires full auto into both the guys knees. This conversation ensued.

GM: Sniper falls to the grating, blood gushing out the plethora of bullet holes in his legs, creaing a mosiac of red down the side of the building.
P1: I interrogate him.
GM: He's unconscious and bleeding heavily.
P1: I slap him around.
GM: He's dead.
P1: What?? I shake him hard.
GM: He's still dead.
P1: I use the shock glove, CLEAR!!
GM: Um...he's still dead.
P1: I set the glove to 7, CLEAR!!!
GM: I don't think you can set a-
P1: CLEAR!!
GM: You see....he's dead...
P1: CPR, I begin chest compressions.
GM: Dude, after every compression you see a stream of the last of his blood splashing against the wall, you damn neer took his legs off.
P1: Oh yeah, I tournaquet the legs. Shock glove to 8 and CLEAR!!!
GM: Dude, I'm telling you, this guy is dead.

A minute of stern faced concentration later P1 looks at P2 (me) and says,

P1: Well....this guy's dead, lets move on.
P2: (me, crying laughing) I need to go change my pants. (seriously, I peed a little and I'm not embarrased to say so in this situation.)
At the beginning of the run snippet from above the two of us come across a gang(the target of the run) of 3-4 individuals kicking the crap out of some poor homeless guy.

P2: Let's get in there, hurry.
P1: No, wait, it's too soon, just watch.
GM: How long are you going to wait?
P1: I'll let you know.
GM: OK....well, they beat him and rob him and beat him and now they are walking away.
P1: Are they gone?
GM: Yeah.
P1: Ok, I go over. What do I see? Remember, I have the chameleon cloak on.
GM: Ok, the homeless guy is badly beaten and unconscious.
P1: Ok, I'm going to help him up and walk him over into the alley and try to make it look like he's walking himself.
GM: What..?.?.!?...
P1: Yeah, I'll hold him up and kick his feet and walk him into the alley.
GM: o...k
P1: Then we both lay down and I cover us in trash so we can't be seen and I go through his pockets.
GM: Blank stare and then...he's just been robbed and beaten, he has nothing.
P1: I try to wake him up.
GM: He is beaten into next week andyou don't have the medical training or supplies.
P1: I have the shock glove, can I wake him up with that?
GM: Good God, NO.
P1: Alright, I cover him in trash so the gang won't find him and leave.
GM: Ok
P1: Hmmm, no, that's not gonna work, I'll put him in a dumpster and close the lit but prop it enough for some light and air. I leave.
GM: ok
P1: Hmmm, he's probably gonna be hungy when he wakes up so I go back and drop in a bunch of ration bars. I leave.
GM: ok
P1: Wait, I don't trust this guy, he could tell people about us. I'm going to set a grenade in the dumpster lid so that when it opens it falls into the dumpster.
GM: (silence)
P1: (silence)
GM: ok...
P1: That should about do it.
GM: What about all the rations bars?
P1: Oh, he can keep 'em.
P2: (me, narrowly avoided pissing self)

Notice how I did basically nothing in either of these encounters. It was amazing, it's one of those situations where you just put everything down and watch in amazment at what happens next.:lol:

tesral
01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
must...breathe.....

Soft Serve
01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I need a shock glove...I'f try to rob ATM's with it...

ChaunceyK
01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
I just remembered another dopey (if not rookie) mistake we'd made.

We possessed, among many other magic items (far too many, in retrospect) a magic djini lamp. While dungeoncrawling one day, we couldn't figure a way to a hidden area of the dungeon. We knew it was there, based on what we had mapped, just didn't find any secret doors when we searched.

So we rubbed the magic lamp.

Out pops the djini..."What wish may I grant you?"

"Create a way for us to get into the hidden room behind this wall."

"Okay" says the djini, as he runs his hands along the wall & pops open the hidden door.

What we didn't remember was that just because we didn't find something on a search, didn't mean it wasn't there. Knowing full well that there was a hidden room, we should've really just spent more time searching for a way in, rather than wasting a powerful item like a djini. Our DM had a good laugh at us for that one.

DMMike
01-19-2009, 09:48 AM
I joined a long-standing group for a session (mistake 1). For it, I whipped up a 15th level sorceror. Friendly guy, focused on mind control (mistake 2). When a bunch of seemingly unrelated characters made it to the cave chamber refuge of the evil lich, the adventurous party filed in slowly (in fairly close quarters - mistake 3).

In the middle of a thought, "great, another mindless creep who can't be controlled by my sp...," my sorceror coughed up a cloud of cilia, saw the world distort as his eyes dried out, and died from the effects of a horrid wilting spell.

There's another kind of rookie who should be careful: the rookie in a new group.

Malruhn
01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm watching a rookie mistake in progress.

I just started with a new group - and their job is to rescue the High Priest who's been kidnapped by orcs (the party is uber-powered 6th level). They are entering an underground area via a man-made passageway (think cave opening). They found powerful explosive runes on the pad outside and blew up a riding horse to get rid of them (temporarily)... and now everyone just entered the 5' wide passageway.

Think about it for a moment... it's daylight outside, and they just created a big explosion at the doorway. Although the party doesn't know it yet, they have entered a long, straight corridor... with bad guys waiting for them at the end.

I smell a potential slaughter. A reinforced door with a crossbow slit in it to keep the defenders safe... and just one warlock, one wizard, (each of 5th level), and a herd of 2nd level Orcan warriors... Even the Warforged with his 75 hit points and 3DR/Adamantium is going to get his metal arse handed to him.

I love new groups that have never really had to face an intelligent enemy!! They're so...

Crunchy!! :lol:

kirksmithicus
01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
"dude...this is a 1st level module, and he's a stock NPC...you can take him"

rookie mistake, being goaded into a fight by the non-rookies. :D

lobothebluffer
01-20-2009, 06:44 PM
my dm said ''theres a wooden bridge ahead of you but it does not look stable and to the side of you is a sign that saids DO NOT CROSS!......

me as my wise self a dwarf thief says'' i run to the edge and jump across'' well i did and landed in the edge of the cave. i took a step futher ahead and the dm tells my team mates to looker closer to the sign and it saids'' DO NOT CROSS! THE CAVE AHEAD IS A ILLUSION! well not knowing and already taking a step i fall to my death.

moral of the story always read any signs all the way though

tesral
01-20-2009, 08:14 PM
One of my favorite at a Con the rogueish type carefully check the door for traps, listens, does all the right stuff.

Him: "I quickly slip the door open step inside swiftly closing it behind me."

I start reaching for gobs of d6 type dice.

Him: "There's no floor, is there?"

Me: "Nope."

DMMike
01-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Him: "There's no floor, is there?"

Me: "Nope."

Only in D&D. Or a Vince Flynn novel.

Soft Serve
01-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Only in D&D. Or a Vince Flynn novel.

Construction sites. Can't forget construction sites...

It's just as likely to walk through a door into a room that doesn't have a deck on the other side yet, and fall right out of the 3rd story mansion into the gravel below.

Drizzit red
01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
The best mistakes in a game would have to come from my step son.

1. We were in a keep that had its own time (apart from the rest of the realm), and the time would get re-set by the DM from time to time. We found one room with monsters sleeping and with two awake guards. The awake guards were posted by a large gong. Our first attempt to sneak in was foied by the gong guards.
The time re-set, so we devised a way to enter the room, and take out the tow awake guards, so that they would not wake up the whole keep. First thing my step son does upon entering the room is cast sonic boom.
Who needs guards to bang the gong when your spell caster does it for them?
2. I was DMing my step son and his friends on a small low level quest. I placed a door in an underground section that had glyphs and warnings and was chained and barred shut. It said "Do not break this portal. Extreme evil resides beyond this portal". I though they would bypass the door being the low level characters they were. To my surprise they all decided to open the door. Two devils came out of the door and wiped out the entire party.
3. Last one by my step son. My friend was DMing us, and part way into the quest we found a rather large keep. In front of the keep was a Huge statue wielding a HUGE Maul. In front of the statue was a very ornate chest (and large). My step son couldn't help but to run to the chest and attemp to open it. Needless to say the statue animated and smashed him with the Maul. He was turned into a pancake real fast.

Webhead
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
...2. I was DMing my step son and his friends on a small low level quest. I placed a door in an underground section that had glyphs and warnings and was chained and barred shut. It said "Do not break this portal. Extreme evil resides beyond this portal". I though they would bypass the door being the low level characters they were. To my surprise they all decided to open the door. Two devils came out of the door and wiped out the entire party...

Yep. I have yet to encounter a D&D party that would do anything different. It's like leading them to a room with a big red button that says "Do not push" and actually expecting them not to push it. If nothing else, they will spend 30 minutes trying to devise a clever way to push the button from outside the room (or dungeon)...whether or not that actually saves them is circumstantial.

Drizzit red
01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Almost forgot this one.....

Last quest, we had our newest DM prodigy running us on a quest (with the two seasoned DMs on the playing side of the table MUHAHAHAHA). My step son was running a rather dimwitted 1/2 Orc character. My friend (the other DM) decided to cast a darkness spell on my step son while we were in town.

For some reason my step son chose to run a spell casting dim witted orc. He could not figure out why he was covered in darkness, so he began to runa round town. Of course he began running into people and buildings. Out of desperation, he decided to dispell magic....the DM said "Where are you casting the spell?"...My step son replies "On myself."

Let's just say the laughter ensued when the DM started making him make saves for all the magic on his person as well as for the spell.