PDA

View Full Version : Harn

mrken
12-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Has anyone here played Harn? If you have, what do you think about it? Do you still play it? If you had the opportunity and don't play it now, why?

I have a few of the Harn supplements and love them. Wish I had more. Problem is I rarely find them and they tend to be very expensive and I am pretty cheap.

Skunkape
12-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Played in a great campaign ran by a friend of mine when I lived in Miami. I like that they spent quite a bit of time detailing the world. Granted, I'm a homebrew person myself as far as when it comes to running a game, but I've borrowed some things from Harn to use in my own world.

It's got a good system as far as I'm concerned and I would play it again if someone I knew ran it. Course, you can't play the game as if you were playing DnD, if I remember the rules correctly, that kind of game play would get you killed pretty quickly as Harn can be deadlier when it comes ot combat.

But I did like the character progress quite a bit. Even though I run a campaign using DnD, I've really never been one to like character progression systems that use levels. Harn used % for skills right, ranking from 01 to 100 or am I remembering the system incorrectly.

Anyway, I did like the game, lots of detail and a good set of rules.

mrken
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I have never played the Harn game. Never known anyone who did. But I use some of the supplements and download a bunch of their stuff from Lithia.com. What captured my attention was how they made the system kind of realistic in a pretend sort of way.

Am sort of surprised now that you say they use a 01 to 100% skill roll for character advancement. This is the method I use for character advancement as I don't use classes. Wow, I like it even more now than before.

MortonStromgal
12-04-2008, 01:09 AM
I never got the chance though I would love to get my hands on it... since your cheap I'd like to pitch you MRQ its free (or you can buy it if you want) percentiles and nifty... Oh and did I say its FREE OGL even and you can convert D&D 3.X stuff to a reasonable done job with a bit of work

Linkage
http://mrqwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I'm currently writing up my own take on Middle Earth for it :D

Edward
12-04-2008, 02:09 AM
I have a number of the Harn campaign supplements, but I haven't had a chance to try most of them yet. The attention to detail is impressive. If you ever have PC's who want to become nobles, HarnManor is an extremely useful resource. It has the best rules I've ever seen for running a small fief -- head and shoulders above D&D.

If you like Harn, you would probably like Iron Crown's Shadow World setting as well. It's very high quality. And I would also recommend Middle-earth. I think both Harn and Shadow World were inspired by Middle-earth.

Of course, you don't need to use the rules to use the settings. All three worlds are fairly easy to convert to other systems.

tesral
12-04-2008, 05:30 PM
My short history with Harmmaster causes me to place it among the worst systems ever. I remember combat dragging out forever, and only lasting three rounds. It concentrated very much on the rules and not on the flavor. The rules were not even sinulationist complex, they were simply complex. "Use the point of the dagger not the edge, it does more damage" a direct quote for the Game Master. Great Googlly Moo. That is entirely too much rules.

Edward
12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I've never used the Harnmaster rules myself. They did look too complex to me when I looked through them; I probably wouldn't use them. However, it's pretty easy to use the Harn campaign supplements with another system.

HarnManor is very nice, but I would integrate it into another system rather than using it with the Harnmaster rules.

Malruhn
12-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I've stolen liberally from Harn... not the gaming system, rather from the scenario ideas and very well designed histories.

Thanks, Tesral, I'll remember that... pokey end goes first!!

mrken
12-07-2008, 11:29 AM
My short history with Harmmaster causes me to place it among the worst systems ever. I remember combat dragging out forever, and only lasting three rounds. It concentrated very much on the rules and not on the flavor. The rules were not even sinulationist complex, they were simply complex. "Use the point of the dagger not the edge, it does more damage" a direct quote for the Game Master. Great Googlly Moo. That is entirely too much rules.

Does this mean the rules suck and the rest of the material is good? Or, does it mean the whole game and everything about it sucks? In your opinion.

I have never had the fortune, or misfortune to use the rules, but in my opinion I love the supplements, what I have of them, which is only about six pieces.

As for the history and using it right out of the book, yeah, I think that would be sort of hard to use, but the ideas and some of the methods used, and especially some of the floor plans and maps are great, in my opinion.

Like you I strive for simplicity in my game, that's why I don't use any of the popular ones. That's why I boiled down all the rules sets I have played and use the few rules I have come up with. My opinion is to let the players play, with as few rules as they will let me get away with. Harn stuff just seems to make it easy for me to GM. Or I guess I should say, it is a tool for me to build a world that is realistic enough for me to consider using.

Etarnon
12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Harn is good, it's gritty, tries to be realistic, great maps, nice weather system. It's a campaign setting, well detailed from the author's homebrew.

If you are a fan of 1e or 2e, you'll like it better than say 3.X or 4e.

mrken
12-07-2008, 10:10 PM
My campaign has pretty good regional maps, but I like the local maps in the Harn game. My weather system is already fairly good in my opinion. Though I am not really a fan of any Dungeon or Dragon game system I do very much like the premise of the games, so I have boiled them way down and use the very simple rules and prefer the players to just rp things out. Does require some GM calls from time to time to keep things moving, but with the right group of players that just speeds things along.

There is a Harn Ring on the web that has introduced me to many sites with free info, mostly manor and local maps plus floor plans that I am incorporating into my game to speed up the world building process.

The reason I asked about the game is I have never seen the rules or anyone play the game. It seems it may be very rules heavy, which would rule it out for me as I am very rules lite. It was the opinion of this group of gamers that I wanted to gauge as I respect the combined mental powers of observation of this group. It will be filtered by my own mental powers of reasoning of course, but I still wanted your combined input so I could make my own estimation as to whether to invest the time and money in checking it out. As it stands so far perhaps I will continue to pass on it and be content with what I have.

tesral
12-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Does this mean the rules suck and the rest of the material is good? Or, does it mean the whole game and everything about it sucks? In your opinion.

I have had little if any contact with the Harn materials outside of the rules for Harmmaster. I will not recommend or disrecommend them. No opinion here, none, move along.

Edward
12-08-2008, 03:49 AM
As for the history and using it right out of the book, yeah, I think that would be sort of hard to use,

If you want to try a campaign in Harnworld, rather than just incorporating bits and pieces of the setting into your own world, it's pretty easy to use the entire campaign setting with a different rules system. It isn't closely tied to the Harnmaster rules.

Jcosby
12-09-2008, 05:20 PM
The Maps for Harn are exceptionally well done. I use them for my homebrew game when I run campaigns. As for the rules, I'd have to agree with everyone else, the combat is over complex for no real reason. Harn does have a lot of material worth stealing.. err borrowing from.

JC

Sarky
03-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Ok, here is my 2d.. HârnMaster, as a rule set, is complex, yet the GM should use what they would need to make the game fun. Personnely, I use alot of the advanced rules when I did play from HârnMaster Gold, and found the game moving along very nicely.
As for the material and setting, the detail is what first drew me to it. The maps are awesome, and the detail of the setting is lovingly crafted. Before I ever even used HârnMaster, I borrowed from the setting to supplement my Rolemaster setting.