PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Fantasy RPG?

MortonStromgal
12-01-2008, 03:42 PM
D&D 3.X, WFRP, Burning Wheel, The Riddle of Steel, Runequest, Something else?
Whats your favorite and why?

My favorite is WFRP 2nd ed because the rules are pretty simple and the world is really interesting. Though Mongoose Runequest wins best character creation.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-01-2008, 03:55 PM
WFRP(1st and 2nd edition): Dark and gritty!
Gamma World(CGW): Always fun to play, w/o exception
Traveller(CT): Cross between Star Wars, Firefly, and others. It can be what ever you want it to be. The universe is vast, after all.

There are others, but this is a good start.

mrken
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Pendragon is my favorite game bought with Star Frontiers a close second. I enjoy a simple game but the genre is of utmost importance. Pendragon being a game of knights and nobility had a real draw for me but it was the players in the game that really sealed the deal for me. Beside it was pretty simple generally speaking.

Star Frontiers was also a good deal of fun as the rules were very simple to learn. The only down side was it seemed to be more for younger people. I made it more for the adults I ran it for. Looked like Traveler form the outside.

GoddessGood
12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Lol, Exalted. I've been an addict for a while. I love the setting more than the system and I'll occasionally tweak it, but the second edition made me very happy. Mostly I love the setting because just about anything I can think of, I can make it work in the world they've created without too much turning my head sideways and squinting. I mean come on, how can you say "No" to a world where you have everything from Mechs and lightsabers (sorry, beamklaves) to Faeries, werewolves, and mermaids to Imperial China and ancient Aztec Dinosaurs? Oh and emogoths that will actually drink your blood.

Epic. Hella epic. :cool:

Windrider687
12-01-2008, 06:24 PM
For me, it would have to be a draw between Palladium Fantasy, and a homebrew game I was involved in.

Grimwell
12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
D&D to be sure for me, and 4th Edition is growing quite strong as my preferred version. I am really starting to see the potential of the system at this point and think it's pretty strong. Mainly because it's friendly to improv in ways prior systems weren't.

Etarnon
12-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Sci Fi- Traveller, backed up by LUG Star Trek, Space Master by ICE

Fantasy - 2e ad&d pLUS bIRTHRIGHT (tm), backed up by Rolemaster by ICE, Runequest 2nd edition (Red Book) by Chaosium, DragonQuest by SPI

Dark Future - Cyberpunk 2020 by R. Talsorian, backed up by GURPS Cyberpunk, Cyberspace by ICE

Military - Twilight:2000 by GDW, backed up by Recon by RPG inc (Who then sold it to Palladium)

Future Military: Mechwarrior 2nd edition

Science Fantasy - Gamma World, 2nd Edition.

Time Travel - TimeMaster, by Pacesetter, Inc.

Espionage - Spycraft 2.0, backed up by Top Secret:SI, Top Secret 1e, and JB 007 by Victory games.

TAROT
12-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Earthdawn - It has an epic feel with a hefty dose of horror

tesral
12-02-2008, 03:22 AM
D&D hands down. Why?

33 years of good friends and good times. I have found love and married twice, both times women I gamed with. I have found people that have become fast friends, the help you hide the body kind. You will not get that out of Monopoly that is for sure.

There are other good game out there and I'll gladly say as much. But D&D has been a good companion for my life.

Windrider687
12-02-2008, 08:46 AM
D&D hands down. Why?

33 years of good friends and good times. I have found love and married twice, both times women I gamed with. I have found people that have become fast friends, the help you hide the body kind. You will not get that out of Monopoly that is for sure.

There are other good game out there and I'll gladly say as much. But D&D has been a good companion for my life.

Hey now...after I murdered one guy when he wouldn't sell me B&O Railroad, my friend helped me bury the body...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Hey now...after I murdered one guy when he wouldn't sell me B&O Railroad, my friend helped me bury the body...
Now that's what i call 'a good friend.'

Chris House
12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I love them all
because each rpg is some ones or some groups love and passion for getting
together, I have found that I can play just about any game"except gurps"
I like the crunchy for adding protein to my mental diet like the lite stuff for the flexibility!
but mostly I like gaming with the people who like gaming!
I am easy that way!
I currently love
Aces and Eights and Hackmaster because I have a 16 year old son who loves these game and I like spending time with him and my 14 year old Daughter gaming, and of course their teen friend who are often laughably opinionated about their game and the world , witch some time are one and the same!

I look for adults to game with but most are so full and busy that it easier to turn to my own kids and say want to play a game?

And here in the south there is a shortage on gamers who will play on weekends or even let you join that is not well wierdly opinionated to the point of discomfort!

I had a resent encounter where some one called my son sheep becuse he played Football and was in ROTC, AND REFERED TO THE MILITARY in similer manner.
this was uncomfortible to me sense my self and my family all served in the Armed forces.
but to each thier own, it kind of make you go here is your ticket move along please!
but I try to be tolerent every one has thier own opinion even the teen that game with my son, one of which resently informed me only cowards use guns!
LOL
ok thank you here is your ticket!
so it not the game it the memories and the company it fresh and diffrent every time!
but there are good memeries my best friend of thirty years is still gaming with me on accasion we can get togather, it more remeber this and oh do you recall, with that much history we laugh about some of the crazy gaming groups and member we have encountered over the years. it made me laugh so often that it has resorted in tears and a sore laugh muscles!
" like when we where kids my friends mom would always serve us Green Cool aid and pop corn, it never changed for four years it was always two hour into the game in thier den and She would show up with a tray, it made me often wander dose this women have a ten year supplie of Green Cool aid? IN TRUTH IT WAS ALWAYS ON SELL AT THE cOMMENSARY, and that what she bought.
< another military family of sheep by the way-lol>
My Friend is now is Paralyzed FROM THE WASTE DOWN and is bed ridden,< he was a tough sheep!> and we talk often over the phone, I know of no other game or socilization that keep your friendships this close.
so thanks for letting me rabble and enjoy the holiday! :laugh:
thanks for the moments, you all
be well

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
The first games I really played were future military games like MechWarrior and Battletech. back then (13 years old) i was really intrigued by post-apocalyptic robot wars (perhaps a spirit tempered by terminator 1/2 and computer games?).
it was all the more fun because I was all the more eager and able to dive head-first into my imagination

D&D hands down. Why?

aww shucks:) Tesral your stories of D&D warm my heart.

mrken
12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Since I have changed over to my own rule set I guess for the past twenty years my favorite must be my own, I guess. But as for supplements I would say that the stuff put out for Harn is my favorite in many way. I don't use most of it in the literal sense meaning I don't use the people or the maps so to speak. I do use the floor plans, the general ideas of the maps and ideas from what the people do. But to be honest, I can get ideas for my fantasy game from the newspaper or a radio show. Ideas come from everywhere.

Webhead
12-03-2008, 11:47 AM
That's a tricky question. As difficult as it is to admit, somewhere deep down I must still harbor some kind of fondness for D&D simply because I still hold onto a copy of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia, a dozen or so Gazetteers and 3 or 4 AD&D 2e campaign box sets. Though I've not really played D&D for several years now (and I'm not itching to "jump" back in), there must be some psychological attachment for me not to pawn these things.

That said, at present, I am without a Fantasy RPG of choice though I am heavily considering one: Savage Worlds and some of its fantasy campaign books.

Kalanth
12-09-2008, 09:38 AM
D&D all the way. I have played other games but for some reason I don't feel like I can take those games seriously while I have always had serious campaigns when playing D&D.

Webhead
12-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Having just finished reading Savage Worlds, I must say that I'm finding it greatly appealing for running fantasy, especially with the very managable and fast flowing mass combat rules. All around, I am finding myself very impressed with the game and hope for an opportunity to play it in the near future.

DeathByDM
12-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Up until recently, I'd have aid D&D, no question. Recently, however, I've been introduced to Reign and I am very impressed. This may well become my RPG of choice.

If only I can get my group on board...

boulet
12-11-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd love to have a Reign game going too. Are you looking for using the setting provided or would you just use the system in a setting of your choice ?

DeathByDM
12-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I'd love to have a Reign game going too. Are you looking for using the setting provided or would you just use the system in a setting of your choice ?

I think I'll use their setting with a few modifications. I am not interested in the strange physics for example, and I might add a bit more fantasy. Perhaps the Reign world with some D&D monsters appearing.

Also I will be using a more free-form magic system.

boulet
12-11-2008, 01:10 PM
If you ever lay this magic system on paper... huh on a file, I'd be interested to read it :)

Jcosby
12-11-2008, 04:18 PM
D&D, AD&D, D&D 3.x are far and away my favorite RPGs. I have played almost all of the other systems mentioned in this thread and while a lot of them are really good none of them really compare in the end to Dungeons and Dragons. I can't really explain why, maybe its because it was my first RPG or the one I played the most.. but everything else comes in 2nd.

JC

Anvalin
12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
D&D is my fantasy game of choice. I prefer the 3.X edition. I've had the most fun and met the most people playing D&D.

Zig
12-11-2008, 09:06 PM
D&D 3x but not for the system just for the players and the DM I origionally had... some of the best times in my life. Champions for using the hero games system; the most complex, rigid, math skills dependant, and yet amazingly creative system I have ever used. would add "fantasy hero" into that but I could only ever get people to play it twice before rolling their eyes at the complexity of the hero games system vs the relitive ease of the familiar 3x D&D.

Pk1305
12-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Warhammer Fantasy Role Play and Exalted - prefer 1st ed on both

I would love to find a Warhammer group in the Milwaukee area if anyone else loves the game as much as I do.

Zig
12-12-2008, 07:45 AM
warhammer fantasy rpg... I remember that... had some weird classes, rat catcher and you get a small viccious dog and a stick as starting equiptment... always cracked me up. also remember just about everybody wanted to be a pit fighter for stat reasons. was a good game but had some ballence issues.

boulet
12-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Balance is nice but when it's pushed to the extreme (4e you know who you are) there's less and less difference between characters.

DeathByDM
12-12-2008, 08:02 AM
If you ever lay this magic system on paper... huh on a file, I'd be interested to read it :)

Pretty straight forward. Basically I want magic to be a little more rare than it is in Reign as-written.

Magic is hard on your body. When casting a spell, they take 1 shock damage (to body part of their choosing). If they fail the casting (roll related stat + sorcery), it becomes lethal damage. They can choose to put more energy into the spell, taking 1 extra damage for every dice added, up to maximum of sorcery skill or 10, whichever is lower. If they have never cast a spell like it before, they take a -2d penalty.

Ask players, what do you want to do? Then I describe what REALLY happens. Height determines location of damage or duration. Weight determines speed, amount of damage, number of targets, and area of affect.

If you do a called shot with magic, you do not take a penalty. Instead, the damage you take is focused on the same place you target.

You can learn specific spells. You will not get the -2d penalty and will take 1 less damage when casting. Spells of this sort can only be learned during creation (at my discretion) and through specific events in game.

I think doing this makes magic much more dangerous and exciting plus players don't have to manage a big spell book. I never liked the idea of normal people casting spells on a regular basis, so this discourages the peasants from casting spells that make them smell nice (because it hurts them).

boulet
12-12-2008, 08:11 AM
I understand your mechanic for aggressive magic, whether it's a fireball, a lightning bolt or sth like the blood cutters. But for utilitarian magic how do you measure the cost compared to the effect ? Like say a smoke shaper who's building a staircase ?

DeathByDM
12-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I understand your mechanic for aggressive magic, whether it's a fireball, a lightning bolt or sth like the blood cutters. But for utilitarian magic how do you measure the cost compared to the effect ? Like say a smoke shaper who's building a staircase ?

Easy. Height is duration (probably in hours), width is intensity (size of object).

I may rule that they can add widths. For example, if they get 2x3 and 2x5, they can add those together to get 3x3 (they only get +1 each time they combine and they take the lower height).

I may also eliminate the limit of 10 dice when casting spells. If they want to take 10 damage (basically knocking themselves out or committing suicide) in order to do a massive spell and go out in a blaze of glory, I'm all for it.

chanceboon
12-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Sci Fi- Gurps is tough to beat with any of its Sci-Fi settings and simple rules

Fantasy - Reign, with a close secong to Burning Wheel (the character generation in both is awesome!)

Dark Future - Cyberpunk, no question

Military - Recon

Time Travel - Dr. Who by FASA...cheesy, but I love it!

Espionage - James Bond, 007...although Hero lends itself well to the genre.

Malruhn
12-17-2008, 11:55 PM
With all it's flaws, I have ALWAYS fallen back to D&D - in all of it's incarnations that I learned. Basic, AD&D, 2nd Edition, and now 3.5... I have played RoleMaster, Traveller, Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Harn, and several other gaming systems - but I always came back to the TSR fold... no matter how silly the rules got, were, or could have been. I love her with all her wart-covered glory.

Zig
12-18-2008, 05:55 AM
lol your not dating her for her sparkeling personality, smarts, or awesome beauty... you keep going back to her because you know she puts out first time, every time. damn thats good, I totally agree.. but the old trailer park whore is wearing on me, she's just caught a new collection of nasty 4e venerial diseases to go with those warts, she's older and uglyer than ever, and I need something... else.

GoddessGood
12-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Wow. Short of morning sickness and hangovers, I didn't know it was possible to be this nauseous so early in the morning. Thanks, Zig.

Etarnon
12-19-2008, 05:26 AM
First sign of the gaming group going insular:

All of the girls in the area are grossed out to the point of vomiting, by the topics of discussion.

Good job. tsk.

GoddessGood
12-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Haha, it's pretty easy with me. Just torture someone. An old group I was in found out how squeamish I am and would torture prisoners very graphically until I had to leave the room. :rolleyes: Men.

boulet
12-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Haha, it's pretty easy with me. Just torture someone. An old group I was in found out how squeamish I am and would torture prisoners very graphically until I had to leave the room. :rolleyes: Men.
I'm sorry but "Men" and a shrugging shouldn't satisfy anyone. Maybe one can have some form of patience with teenagers going all graphing and aiming for the shock value. But adult players shouldn't cross the line of what disgust/spoil the fun of other players. I would deal with it right on the spot, temporary escape isn't a solution. For instance if instead of graphic torture some players started wallowing in depiction of violence toward children or other deviant fantasies, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be "cool" about it and most other players neither. The fact that you alone couldn't stand evocation of torture doesn't mean the rest of the group is entitled to gross you out. It's just wrong.

Sorry needed to rant :)

GoddessGood
12-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh, I wasn't cool with it. It was the source of a lot of tension between myself and the GM (whom I was dating at the time :redface:). It's not just been with game groups that I have this problem, though. A lot of people I know (all of them male) when I tell them how squeamish I am will say things like, "So if I told you about this one time I got hurt and blah blah blah ... you wouldn't like that?"

Drohem
12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Hmm...favorite fantasy game you say? Well, that's a tough one since there are so many fantasy RPGs out there.

So, I am going to give my top three picks.

Dungeons & Dragons
I have consistently played every edition since 1e AD&D. This is the baseline fantasy game for almost everyone. I like the staple mix of races and magic.

Basic-Roleplaing
I really like RuneQuest III for fantasy games. If you want a gritty-n-grim fantasy game, then run a non-Gloranthan fantasy game using the RQ3 rules.

Talislanta
I am a big fan of Bard Games supplements for D&D, and I already owned the Arcanum RPG as well. So, I bought I the Talislanta books and red booklet and was blown away by it, and have been a fan ever since. The evocative art of P.D. Breeding-Black instantly immersed me in the world. I enjoyed the reading about the travels of Tamerlin the mage as well. I also like the rules, in all its editions. They were innovative. Personally, I believe that Talislanta is the first true d20 system out there.

Etarnon
12-19-2008, 01:55 PM
My wife is squeamish, too.

We once played Twilight:2000, and a PC got run over by a tank, she had to leave the room.

And she hates when I or my gaming friends watch the Hitler Channel on Cable.

Zig
12-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Wait, just what is with that?

in the OC I knew lots of girls who would do that "ewue ewue, your grossing me out, stop it or I'ma gonna hurl" drama queen crap. You were just begging those guys to try and gross you out. I have known some girls that were seriously squeamish, one was a religious girl that wasn't allowed to watch anything that wasn't G rated through her entire life and would have to leave the room should anything sexual or violent come on the screen, another was bulimic, and seeing somebody sneeze was almost enough to set her off, but those are special cases, honestly you could say they had mental problems.

for the most part, ever since I went to Alaska and met women that proved to me playing up to that stereotype of "girls get grossed out by icky guy talk" was just a prissy attention getting move, I haven't believed it. Most of the people in this country live in rural areas, those hunting/fishing gals are anything but squeamish. Unless threes some kind of special circumstances I think its all an act. not only that but I think actually believing "girls weak when it comes to gross things" is kinda... how do I say it... sexist and classist? besides being complete BS.

but lets get to the heart of the matter... sick people ARE out there, if somebody is getting all hot and bothered by describing some torture/rape/child violence in an RPG their probably the same kind of people that will send you sick pictures from tasteless.com or wherever. I would avoid those people like the plague, and keep them the hell away from any kids. but if you think those people are just guys your way way wrong... go to Hollywood, check out a Genitorturers or Penis flytrap gig, you'll see that 50% of the fans of the most disgusting live displays you could ever imagine are girls. same thing at horror/gore conventions, only 50% are dudes. no idea why.

Now about "dungeons and dragons" getting "a little bit" graphic about the actions of a villain you want the hero's to hate and be disgusted by is not only acceptable... its recommended. if say I'm running a game and I have an ork war party attack and defeat a small farm house, ma and pa should be getting barbecued and gorged upon preferably while still partially alive, the kids should be getting brutalized, the women should be getting raped. D&D has black and white evil. your supposed to hate the villains and want to kill them, and feel a deep sense of accomplishment and satisfaction once you've done it. Your talking about "Chaotic-Evil" monsters here, sick, sadistic, disgusting behavior is part of the definition. If you cant take that, or a short description of that... I guess there's a reason why "Charmed" is still on the air.

I mean what would D&D be without evil cults committing human sacrifices to ancient and evil alien gods, axe wielding murderous berserkers lost in blooodlust, gore covered flesh eating undead, dragons chomping down on innocent maidens... The name of the game is Dungons and Dragons... what happens to people in dungeons? what do dragons prefer to eat? its not "singing elves and happy hobbits" I guess you could dumb down the evil and violence beyond what the game intended into moustache twisting "muah ha ha ha" type villains and Disney-esque fight scenes, you could make a "beauty and the beast" the "G" rated RPG but who wants that besides rainbow and unicorn fluffy wiccans?

Etarnon
12-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Not everyone wants graphic in their games, depending on the setting, system, and players. Seems like that should be respected.

Not all D&D games (or other systems) have to be brutal and honest.

tesral
12-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Not everyone wants graphic in their games, depending on the setting, system, and players. Seems like that should be respected.

Not all D&D games (or other systems) have to be brutal and honest.

It's possible to be brutal and honest and not be graphic. We do it all the time.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I love 'brutal and honest,' and incorporate them into my games. Of course, what i allow and to what degree is completely decided upon by whichever group i playing with at the time. Some gamers love my games(graphic and bloody, raw, brutal, and honest), but many prefer it toned down a little. No worries though, for i aim to please.

hueloovoo
12-21-2008, 01:04 PM
I like brutal, honest and graphic at times, so long as it can also be gentle, sweet and touching at other times. I love all kinds of drama.

Dark
12-21-2008, 01:58 PM
1st Edition AD&D for me I have many a long night gaming session which I look back fondly.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-21-2008, 02:32 PM
I second your motion, Dark, with homebrew rules, of course. I love the purity of 1e, and the fact that all the classes arent blurred into one anther.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

I like brutal, honest and graphic at times, so long as it can also be gentle, sweet and touching at other times. I love all kinds of drama.
That goes without saying, hueloovoo, for even though my preferred gaming style is harsh, gritty, dark, gory and real, there are still times that gentle and sweet come into play. An example, a group of players were in a small town, where ignorance and fear abound, where townsfolk were going to kill a female child by burning, fearing she is a witch, and therefore the cause of that particular winters disease that hit the town. You see, she had a birthmark, nothing really, but she was the only one that had one so obvious, that coupled with a fanatical witch hunter that was in town encouraging the townsfold to do their evil deed. Well, long story short, the party of adventurers saved the girl and sponsored her in a magical school at a major city, killed a few townsfolk in the process during her rescue, and now has a fanatical witch hunter on their trail.
In the end, the magician of the group had his imperial magic license taken away, and the rest are wanted on death warrants. Gotta love fanatically religious witch hunters, their lies, and the power they have to destroy other lives. Which game is this? WFRP.

hueloovoo
12-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I started out on 2e ADnD, good stuff.

nijineko
12-24-2008, 02:15 PM
my favorite is any fantasy game i'm playing with good friends. it's whom one games with, not what one games with. ^^

Banshee
12-30-2008, 02:26 AM
:eek: My favorite fantasy RPG? That's a tough question.

So many themes with so many friends... I had fun playing each one.

jade von delioch
12-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I would have to say that the Palladium Fantasy setting of Palladia is still my favorite published setting. You have an evil empire bond by a treaty to not to conquer the world that is secretly gearing up to do just that (because who the hell is going to stop them). A mostl;y human controlled freelands made up of city states that barely will lift a hand for each other in a land dispute with the wolfen of the north who are a greater empire than anyone outside their lands know. They are seen by everyone as savages made of loose nit clans that are at war with each other and who are unintelligent. But they are not at war with each other and who are intelligent enough to create a whole lanuage/writing system that mimics sound so that any language can be recorded, brought back, and translated.
You have a poor southren country that tries to make itself a stronger kingdom but introducing paper currency (though this is a bad idea since no one out side of their country will except it as currency). Seas full of pirates and legends, pirate island kingdoms, lands that are not on known maps, fearfull black ships controlled by demons, and waters that weep red with blood and cause ships to disapppear.
It has a mountain chain that protects the world from the evil that resides within its encompuss. Plus the old ones slumber below the surface, hidden in the world in unknown locations.

By i have to say that i did pick up the core book for the game Chronicles of Ramlar and the setting in here is pretty awesome. Check it out if you can.

baatin
03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
My favorate is WFRP both editions and then d&d

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
My favorate is WFRP both editions and then d&d
Too bad you dont live in Ca., baatin, or me, there. We'd have to get a WFRP campaign going, either edition, asap.

Azatoth
03-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Id have to say Legend of the Five Rings followed by Palladium Fantasy, Rolemaster and DnD.

alberonn
04-22-2010, 12:32 PM
While I do love D&D, my absolute favorite has to be Talislanta. Unique world to play in, a ton of different Archetypes, and a simple, yet powerful set of rules. Now it is even better since the books are now up on http://www.talislanta.com as free PDFs. This has to be one of the most underrated games out there and we all know there are a few good gems out there like this one.

I have played a lot of different RPGs in my time, most of them are out of print. A lot of the games have some really good stuff, others are not so good. This one has been consistently good. The mechanics have been basically the same, though the transition from a level+skill-based system to just a purely skill-driven system was not as bad as I thought. It can make for some more "realistic" play as your skills and luck will keep you alive rather than the ability to just soak up ungodly amounts of damage. I also like the change to the magic system. The 4th Ed changes did leave things a little too free-form, but the Codex Magicus fixes that little wrinkle without stifling creativity.

I am not sure what to think of 5th Edition. It scraps the Archetypes system in favor for more traditional classes, but It doesn't really change too much. I think I may prefer 4th Edition overall.

Tribunus
04-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Chello!

I have to go with AD&D (1E) and Palladium Fantasy. I've played just about every fantasy game out there, though, in the past 30 years, and there aren't any that I won't play (running...different story! ;) ).

There's also a found place in my heart for Dragonquest, but finding anyone who wants to play a 29 years old, little known, OOP game....very hard.

templeorder
04-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Homebrew all the way - Incarna (my own system). I've played too many systems to even remember all of them. I kept hobby stores in business as a kid. Now, i want something i can adapt to anything. As a GM, i found that having your own system and knowing it inside and out makes it really easy to answer the questions of "how do i..." - after all, you are the definitive authority. That aside, the Palladium world and Greyhawk stand out as favorite fantasy settings. For top setting though, i have to go with Glorantha... so well developed. Of course i like my own worlds, but I'm not sure i ever achieved what was done with Glorantha....

jpatterson
04-30-2010, 04:28 PM
WFRP, probably 2E if it came down to it, though my group started with 1st. Haven't played a ton of other fantasy games, though some look interesting - I lean more to rules lite stuff and WFRP is somewhat that direction in some ways, though a bit clunky in others, but its fairly streamlined overall, so it remains our go-to fantasy game.

Lender
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
My best times gaming were in Middle Earth. MERP by ICE definitely had its draw-backs (I roll to attack... "ok my roll is 87, plus 35 attack bonus, minus 28 defence... now I cross-reference a chart..."), but we had fun and got really good at math. The LOTR game by Decipher that was released alongside the movies is a really good system and very faithful to Tolkien. I never see anybody on that plays, though.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I always wanted to play MERP. Ah well, perhaps one day - most likely at a Convention.

Morcant
05-11-2010, 06:18 AM
My favorite of all-time is Dungeons & Dragons B/X, with the Rules Cyclopedia for occasional reference.

cplmac
05-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Guess I will chime in here and of course with no great surprise, my choice would be 2E (Advanced D&D second edition).

Metroknight
05-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Hmmm, for many years, GURPS was my main system that I played but recently I've discovered a nice free game system called Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game. (http://www.basicfantasy.org/main.html) I run my game online with a program called Traipse Openrpg.

Mayhem Gaming (http://s9.zetaboards.com/Mayhem_Gaming/site/)

alberonn
05-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Hmmm, for many years, GURPS was my main system that I played but recently I've discovered a nice free game system called Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game. (http://www.basicfantasy.org/main.html) I run my game online with a program called Traipse Openrpg.

Mayhem Gaming (http://s9.zetaboards.com/Mayhem_Gaming/site/)

One of the people who was working on the GURPS Talislanta book uploaded a rough Word manuscript of that book on the Yahoo Talislanta group. (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Talislanta/) It is in the files => Misc area. Go if you are a GURPS fanatic to give that one a look.

Skunkape
05-19-2010, 06:50 AM
I waver between RuneQuest (Chaosium's Basic RolePlaying) and GURPS Fantasy.

malchya
05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
That's actually rather a tough one....

Fantasy: Pendragon
Military: Privateers and Gentlemen (I LOVE this one!)
Horror: Call of Cthulu
Sci Fi: Space Opera or Star Trek (FASA)
1920s: Gang Busters (Another really great game)

And GURPS gets honorable mention for Japan, Swashbucklers and Cliff Hangers.

But, somehow, in my 30+ years of being a game master I always end up back with 1st ed AD&D. It's the one I've played the most and have the best memories of.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-27-2010, 01:48 PM
But, somehow, in my 30+ years of being a game master I always end up back with 1st ed AD&D. It's the one I've played the most and have the best memories of.

Completely agree. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

trechriron
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Currently I would have to vote:

1) Fantasy Craft. Scratches my old timer itch for traditional/classic with all kinds of new hotness mixed in for a perfect blend of D&D-esque fantasy gaming. Super Intelligent Design.
2) Legends of Anglerre (FATE 3.0 slightly modified). I really like how FATE does things, and this book is full of great ideas.
3) Savage Worlds. FFF all the way! I am really looking forward to Shaintar coming soon, and Triple Ace Games Hellfrost looks mighty tasty! I have ran several sessions of Sundered Skies and that setting is a blast as well. Currently my group is fusing FATE elements into SW, including minions, aspects, and combat options. I think I may have my perfect house system; SW + FATE. :D

In the past I have really enjoyed:

1) WFRP 2e. Loved this update!! Love the setting. Played the hell out this game for a couple years.
2) Atlantis 2nd Age/OMNI system. Great setting, simple system (like Talislanta 4e/5e system). By the way you can download most of Talislanta for free...
3) D&D 3.5 Eberron. Love this setting. Probably going to run it with my Savage Worlds/FATE brew at some point.
4) D&D 3.0. Right when it launched. We had some good times with it. Certainly like 3e more than 2e. We learned to HATE 2e. God the arguments...
5) Arcana Evolved. The Diamond Throne setting is so awesome it makes my head hurt every time I think about it. *ouch* :cool:
6) HERO 5e Revised + The Turakian Age setting was a real blast. The setting is UBER detailed and we had a year long campaign that was superb.
7) Dangerous Journeys (by Gary Gygax). What a nifty system and cool setting. Was complicated, but hours of enjoyment were had!
8) Harn Master/Harn World - Can you find a better detailed medieval setting on the planet? Nope. The system was UBER realistic-ish (tried to be) and had this "feeling" I can't quite explain. More fun times!
9) Last but not least. Oh, D&D Red Box how I love thee!! Basic D&D is where we started. I don't even like the retro-clones these days, but YE GADS the memories! Fond. Fond memories. After I pass on I am going to ask the powers that be if I can't just go back to 1981 and live that year one more time. Just one more time...