PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite 'monster'?

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-28-2008, 01:22 PM
I was just wondering what all of your favorite monsters are (not edition specific)

I have a really hard time deciding myself, but I really love hook horrors, just because they look so freaky! like those things in The Dark Crystal!

http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/dark/skeksis2.jpg

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Carrien Crawlers, Rot Grubs, large spiders and insects, and others.

Aidan
11-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Catoblepas FTW!

mrken
11-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I like Orcs and goblins. The most common are the favorite.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Agreed. Orcs and Goblins are nice.

Grandore The Giant Killer
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Call me crazy but I have a soft spot for Yetis. I also like Minotaurs. One of my favorite monsters I forget the name. It's like half dog half elephant and spits acid. I think it's called a Millivore or something like that.

11-28-2008, 05:12 PM

I like them also, but they have to be in a large and unruly horde.

and I have to be about four levels higher than the highest level constituents of the goblinoid horde

I think my second most beloved monsters are the ones that are reminiscently Microbiological / Protozoan in their appearance:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG34.jpg

wbrandel
11-28-2008, 07:18 PM
I have always been partial to mind flayers and giants myself

raven21
11-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I would have to go with the Sirens. Beautiful women that lead sailors to their death with their singing and scantly clad bodies.
http://i9.tinypic.com/47uoz6r.jpg

TAROT
11-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Rust monsters and mimic-types.

Kalanth
11-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I have always been very partial to the Behir. Not really sure why as I don't really use dragons or dragon like monsters in my games, but the Behir always makes an appearence somehow.

http://www.vesivus.com/eBay/dndminis/GoL_Behir.jpg

mrken
11-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey Nerd, you would love my Orcs. Generally a hero type has about 40 to 50 "Hit Points" and will do 4 to 8d10 damage. Orcs do about 5 to 8d10 damage but have 40 to 120 "Hit Points". They tend to eat DnD players for lunch. At least until the DnD players learn to play my game.

As for rust monsters, I love them little rust puppies. They are so sweet, in my game. lol

11-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Hey Nerd, you would love my Orcs. Generally a hero type has about 40 to 50 "Hit Points" and will do 4 to 8d10 damage. Orcs do about 5 to 8d10 damage but have 40 to 120 "Hit Points". They tend to eat DnD players for lunch. At least until the DnD players learn to play my game.

According to the 4e MM (page 203) ... an Orc Drudge has HP: 1.

HP 1.

thats a level 4 drudge. so if there is like a horde of these things, and I'm talking about a LOTR-last-alliance-cinematic-epic-ridiculously large horde, the battle will either be a tedious game of chance to hit yahtzee or a deeply satisfying slaughter.
It can be tedious, at times, whittling down a gelatinous cube's hp.

TheSmartestLemming
11-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Humans are the best, plain and simple. The party sees a Hook Horror and goes, "Lets mess this guy up!" The party sees a group of humans walk into a bar and think nothing of it. Who know what those humans are there for, but it's unassuming.

As for monstrous things, I'm a huge Grell fan, floating brains with tentacles that mess you up.

drewshi
11-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I've always been partial to the Drow myself. I guess I relate to them as the "black sheep" of the family.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Gotta love the mimics; i do. Rust monsters? Yeah, i use them. Classics all the way.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-29-2008, 10:15 AM
I have always been partial to mind flayers and giants myself
Oh yes, and dark elves too.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I've always been partial to the Drow myself. I guess I relate to them as the "black sheep" of the family.
I'm with you. Drow will always have a special place for me in gaming.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Humans are the best, plain and simple. The party sees a Hook Horror and goes, "Lets mess this guy up!" The party sees a group of humans walk into a bar and think nothing of it. Who know what those humans are there for, but it's unassuming.

As for monstrous things, I'm a huge Grell fan, floating brains with tentacles that mess you up.
True. Humans are the worse of all, for you never know what youre getting with encounter with one of those. WFRP goes into great detail regarding this.

Grimwell
11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Humanoids. I love me some teeming hordes!

Genzodus Thoth
11-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I've always had something of a domineering personality, so definitely illithids.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I've always had something of a domineering personality, so definitely illithids.
Illithiads and Githyanki were, and will always be, classic dnd.

Aidan
11-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Illithiads and Githyanki were, and will always be, classic dnd.

Mind-flayers are classic. These gith boys are new-comers though.

Kalanth
11-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Mind flayers are classic, but they are a bit over done to me. And Drizzit kinda killed my interest in both the Drow and Forgotten Realms.

In the long run, while there are some really random monsters that I really enjoy I would have to say that the humanoid / player races are really the best. So many good plot lines start with the concept of a villain being of the humanoid variety.

MortonStromgal
11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
"Its late when you enter the village but you can see lights and smell the food from the tavern. As you approach the door you can hear music and laughter. You open the door and step inside, the music stops and all eyes turn on you."

Its a bar of beholders of course :D

Pocciani
11-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I'd have to say I prefer the flagship enemy: Dragons. I don't know, they somehow always seem to maintain that truly epic feel. I'm also partial to enemies of the Underdark, most notably Illithids and Drow.

Elestran
11-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Tarrasque is pretty terrifying, but it doesn't scare me as much as a Mind Flayer or my all time favorite, a Tanar'ri.

mrken
11-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Now when I read "monster" I thought you meant "monster". lol Yeah, sounds like I should have perhaps included "humans" in there as well. Most of the encounters in my games are humans. So many different unknowns are present when the party encounters humans. And what to do with that encounter. Can't kill them all. Some of them have the keys to anything.

11-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Now when I read "monster" I thought you meant "monster". lol Yeah, sounds like I should have perhaps included "humans" in there as well. Most of the encounters in my games are humans. So many different unknowns are present when the party encounters humans. And what to do with that encounter. Can't kill them all. Some of them have the keys to anything.

humans are absolutely deadly. In real life.
we are the most lethal, terrifying things on earth. we can do unspeakably horrible and destructive things to others and ourselves. and we are totally unpredictable.
so agreed. humans

Is it just a coincidence that Illithids are so blatantly Lovecraftian?
And that there are underdark humanoids called "deep ones"
who worship and serve the Illithids?

11-30-2008, 01:05 AM
"Its late when you enter the village but you can see lights and smell the food from the tavern. As you approach the door you can hear music and laughter. You open the door and step inside, the music stops and all eyes turn on you."

Its a bar of beholders of course :D

Bar joke?

ChaunceyK
11-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Bear in mind, my recollection of monsters goes back to the late 80's, when I'm sure they were a bit different from today's versions of the same monsters...

To me, dragons are just the ultimate. Call me a classic romantic when it comes to D&D, but it was my Dwarf's goal to slay 1 dragon of each color...with the party's help of course...and he would never have fought a benevolent Gold Dragon.

I also liked the Kobolds, back when they were dopey little dog-men. I'll never forget the time we surprised a Kobold who was busy licking himself while reading an issue of PlayDog.

Orcs always had my respect as fierce fighters...and they provided us with bacon, sausage, and hamsteak after we'd kill 'em! (Are orcs still considered pig-men these days? That joke of mine might've been lost on more recent D&D gamers if they're not.)

raven21
11-30-2008, 08:09 AM
There were in 2e I can't speak for anything after that though.

11-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow no one mentioned Dread Wraiths?! What about Lava Golems? Come on you gotta love seeing someone try to figure out how to kill a Lava Golem. Those things are immune to damn near everything!

Chi
11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
YEAH!! I love the dark crystal!! In the labrynth faries are monsters so I choose them!

RealmsDM
11-30-2008, 04:04 PM
my top 3 in no specific order...

Dragons- c'mon, they're the namesake of the game!

Trolls- I can't help but always think of the filler art in the 1e DMG & Monster Manuals showing the old school art of trolls with afro's fighting gnomes in tunnels... awesome

Beholders- can you get more monstrous than a floating ball with a giant mouth and tentacle eyes that shoot death rays?????

MightySchoop
11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
I've actually never cared for either beholders or mind flayers. Give me a good old-fashioned DEMON any day.

Addis Hellfire
11-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Dragons, Aurak Draconians, Draconians in general, lizardfolk, trogs, Yuan-Ti, and anything else scaly.

RealmsDM
11-30-2008, 05:40 PM
oooh, ooooh, I almost forgot...

ROT GRUBS! I've nailed many a PC with those li'l bastards! heh heh heh

And a special mention to Green Slime. Although demoted to a "hazzard" in 3e, it will always be a great dungeon monster to me & my buddies.

11-30-2008, 11:11 PM
my top 3 in no specific order...

Dragons- c'mon, they're the namesake of the game!

Trolls- I can't help but always think of the filler art in the 1e DMG & Monster Manuals showing the old school art of trolls with afro's fighting gnomes in tunnels... awesome

with Afros?? no kidding! i guess that wasn't so controversial in the 1970s apartheid US. Id love to see some pics of that.

Is the 1e material copyrighted? i mean, when did the copyright protection expire?

can you get more monstrous than a floating ball with a giant mouth and tentacle eyes that shoot death rays?????

perhaps.. It depends on your work environment / school. :D

Bearfoot_Adam
12-01-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm a Bullete fan myself. No where is safe when you have one of these guys around.

fmitchell
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
with Afros?? no kidding! i guess that wasn't so controversial in the 1970s apartheid US. Id love to see some pics of that.

Not really an afro, per se ... but if you've seen the front cover of the AD&D Monster Manual (http://davidfaulhaber.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/monster_manual.jpg), or the contents, you'll note that troll hair sticks up and out. (And apartheid? Wasn't that South Africa? In America, the Civil Rights movement was moving mainstream.)

Is the 1e material copyrighted? i mean, when did the copyright protection expire?

Thanks to Disney and the late Sonny Bono, US copyright now extends for-freaking-ever. WotC now owns the rights.

ChaunceyK
12-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Not really an afro, per se ... but if you've seen the front cover of the AD&D Monster Manual (http://davidfaulhaber.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/monster_manual.jpg), or the contents, you'll note that troll hair sticks up and out.

(sigh)

Look at that cover. Its simple, but you can tell what it is. It looks like it was done by a human, not by a computer. By today's standards, it might be considered "ugly" or "unprofessional" but I find it...classically charming. Am I the only one who still appreciates classic artwork?

fmitchell
12-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Look at that cover. Its simple, but you can tell what it is. It looks like it was done by a human, not by a computer. By today's standards, it might be considered "ugly" or "unprofessional" but I find it...classically charming. Am I the only one who still appreciates classic artwork?

Meh, to me it looks amateurish -- a stab at representational art without sufficient skill. OTOH, I think most current D&D art leaves me flat as well: decent technique, empty content. OTTH, Erol Otus's work is sometimes cartoonish, but always in a weird and entertaining way.

I think it's the artist, not the medium, though. I prefer Frazetta to Vallejo, because Frazetta's lines suggest motion and passion, while Vallejo's slavish copying of a photograph looks way too posed. JK Potter uses photographs directly, but composes them in interesting (and occasionally sanity-blasting) ways.

Dimthar
12-01-2008, 07:47 PM
1) Wererats : Love those stinking disease carriers. I used them instead "Aliens" in a crashed "Spelljammer" ship.

2) Vampires : What can I say? I am a Ravenloft Fan ...

3) Cockatrice & Basilisk : Better than hiring Michelangelo.

1958Fury
12-01-2008, 08:28 PM

I like rust monsters. You've probably heard that Gygax got the inspiration from a plastic toy; I had one of those toys when I was a kid, long before I'd ever seen them in D&D. I called mine a "clodhopper". So they have a special place in my heart. :D

I'm a bit of an art snob, because I grew up in a family of artists. Whenever I see bad artwork, an irrational part of me wants to scream, "Why didn't they hire my brother? He'd have blown that away for half the cost!" And while I didn't train up my art skill like the rest of the family, I could have done way better than that particular cover.

However, I could forgive the crudeness if there were at least some sense of style, rather than just showing six random creatures in an uninspired setting.

Otoh, that's the first D&D-related book I ever bought, so on some level it does give me little warm fuzzies to see it. :p

raven21
12-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I had like 10 of those plastic creatures. I loved them, they where my favorite.

You have to remember that for that time period that was not half bad art. If you don't believe me go and look at some of the best drawn animations from that time and you will see a lot of similarities.

1958Fury
12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
You have to remember that for that time period that was not half bad art. If you don't believe me go and look at some of the best drawn animations from that time and you will see a lot of similarities.

I wouldn't compare a book cover to animation, as animation was (and remains) a much more expensive process than a single drawing, requiring a sacrifice in quality to make up for the sheer volume of work involved.

I'll admit that the time period was one in which bad taste ruled the Earth, but there was some good artwork out there. Frazetta had a pretty good career at the time, so obviously we weren't completely blind. If you want to blame the late 70s funkalicious stylistic nose-dive, go ahead, but IMO the MM cover doesn't really match the style of the era. To me, it just looks like they couldn't afford a professional artist, so they got one of the writers to scrawl something.

Seriously, though, good artwork is not a modern invention. Leonardo da Vinci lived 500 years ago, and is still better than most modern day artists.

Personally, my favorite art in the D&D series is in the 3rd edition's PHB. While relatively simple, the sketches complement the parchment style of the whole volume, making the book feel like an ancient tome you found in the ruins of a buried library.

I'm not as crazy about the artwork in 4e. It isn't bad per se; in fact, the artist is reasonably talented. But the whole package just feels sort of uninspired. Like it was put together by the marketing department instead of someone who actually loves D&D.

Grimwell
12-02-2008, 10:19 AM
I think the old/original artwork for TSR can be summed up as follows:

They got what they could pay for.

12-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I think the old/original artwork for TSR can be summed up as follows:

They got what they could pay for.

there is a lot of GOOD fantasy art out there that appears to have been crafted in the 80s. like Luis Royo

Of course, the 80s was the ERA of high fashion:

http://2004.novayagazeta.ru/nomer/2004/95n/n95n-s57.jpg
http://www.ultra-pop.org/images/band/duran01.jpg

RealmsDM
12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
the 1e art was great! the best were the small filler sketches here & there throughout the books..

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Agreed. 1E art had a kind of magic to them. Of course, so did the game.

clint
12-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Favorite monster to run an encounter, Gibbering Mouthers. It's always such a blast running them, since I like to spout out the gibberish that they're supposed to be spewing. Plus, they can be quite nasty.

Pocciani
12-02-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm a Bullete fan myself. No where is safe when you have one of these guys around.
They will always have a special place in my heart as well seeing as my first character death was caused by one. Then again me attacking it with flasks of acid didn't help much. :rolleyes:

Meh, to me it looks amateurish -- a stab at representational art without sufficient skill. OTOH, I think most current D&D art leaves me flat as well: decent technique, empty content...
It strikes me the same way and in truth that is why I love Todd Lockwood (http://www.toddlockwood.com/)'s work. A lot of people may not care for his associations but his art is top notch.

...I'm a bit of an art snob, because I grew up in a family of artists. Whenever I see bad artwork, an irrational part of me wants to scream, "Why didn't they hire my brother? He'd have blown that away for half the cost!" And while I didn't train up my art skill like the rest of the family, I could have done way better than that particular cover.

However, I could forgive the crudeness if there were at least some sense of style, rather than just showing six random creatures in an uninspired setting...
I'd agree that they could have easily done better and without looking too far. I'd also agree that the biggest failing is the complete lack of a credible atmosphere for the creatures represented.

Then again if I had it my way there wouldn't be cover art but rather intricate designs similar to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3e. Or maybe something like the leather-bound Deluxe Editions for 3.5. OH! And with highly stylized dragons worked into it. :D

...Seriously, though, good artwork is not a modern invention. Leonardo da Vinci lived 500 years ago, and is still better than most modern day artists.

Personally, my favorite art in the D&D series is in the 3rd edition's PHB. While relatively simple, the sketches complement the parchment style of the whole volume, making the book feel like an ancient tome you found in the ruins of a buried library.

I'm not as crazy about the artwork in 4e. It isn't bad per se; in fact, the artist is reasonably talented. But the whole package just feels sort of uninspired. Like it was put together by the marketing department instead of someone who actually loves D&D.
Great point about Da Vinci and I concur again in regard to the 3e artwork. I too was less than impressed with the "style" of 4e though it still beats some of the earliest editions. I have a particular distaste for the art seen in a lot of the BECMI.

BACK ON TOPIC! I recall my first experience with Dungeons & Dragons and the one monster that stuck in my head as a small boy: Dragon Turtles. I remember vividly asking my brother if I could play as one. :p

Of course, this was on the very early Dungeons & Dragons CRPG for Commodore 64. Still, they were the first epic creatures I had ever encountered. :)

Revolt268
12-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I like Shocker Lizards, Wraiths, and zombies.

nijineko
12-04-2008, 03:53 PM
I was just wondering what all of your favorite monsters are (not edition specific)

I have a really hard time deciding myself, but I really love hook horrors, just because they look so freaky! like those things in The Dark Crystal!

http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/dark/skeksis2.jpg

you are thinking of the Skeksis, as pictured here. a sequal is in the works for release in 2009, according to sources.

Aidan
12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Stirges! Wait, no, I hate those suckers.

Actually, my favorite was the Blink Dog. I wanted one for a pet. I'm pretty disappointed they weren't in the first Monster Manual for 4e, but I'm sure they'll be in one sometime.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Stirges! Wait, no, I hate those suckers.

Actually, my favorite was the Blink Dog. I wanted one for a pet. I'm pretty disappointed they weren't in the first Monster Manual for 4e, but I'm sure they'll be in one sometime.
Yeah, Blink Dogs were cool.

Stirges... um, not so much. Why? Ever play WLD(Worlds Largest Dungeon), level 1 and 2? If you have, then, and only then, would you understand. We must have killed the entire worlds population of them. Ugh! Never again do i want to see a Stirge--NEVER!

Webhead
12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Stirges... um, not so much. Why? Ever play WLD(Worlds Largest Dungeon), level 1 and 2? If you have, then, and only then, would you understand. We must have killed the entire worlds population of them. Ugh! Never again do i want to see a Stirge--NEVER!

Our group played a brief stint through WLD as well and Stirges and Darkmantles are the only creatures I can remember us encountering. For our group, the Stirges weren't so bad, but it seemed like every time we entered a room or stopped to rest, we were being descended upon by Darkmantles. *I* never want to see a Darkmantle again--NEVER! ;)

cplmac
12-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Hmmm, stirges. And to think that my party will be eventually locating the "Lost Caverns of Tsocanth" and will be entering them. I think there are some inside, if not I may have to add them.

When on the Chat portion of the site here, one time the couple of us on there got to talking about werebears, weretigers, and such. It digressed to the point that we came up with a weresheet. I will have to get the stats figured out for it and try to sneak it in on a party somehow, perhaps if they stop overnight at an inn. <DM makes some notes>

1958Fury
12-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Actually, my favorite was the Blink Dog. I wanted one for a pet.

I'm more of a cat person myself. I'd like to have a pet Displacer Beast.

Chi
12-04-2008, 09:24 PM
you are thinking of the Skeksis, as pictured here. a sequal is in the works for release in 2009, according to sources.
Oh my goodness, YES YES YES!!

12-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Oh my goodness, YES YES YES!!

no way!

Question: will they be animatronic Skeksis or CGI Skeksis?

Also, im sure you all know this already, but The Hobbit duology is targeted for a '10, '11 release!!!

Aidan
12-05-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm more of a cat person myself. I'd like to have a pet Displacer Beast.

No self-respecting cat would have tentacles coming out of its shoulders!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-05-2008, 02:46 AM
Our group played a brief stint through WLD as well and Stirges and Darkmantles are the only creatures I can remember us encountering. For our group, the Stirges weren't so bad, but it seemed like every time we entered a room or stopped to rest, we were being descended upon by Darkmantles. *I* never want to see a Darkmantle again--NEVER! ;)
That's right. Let me add in Darkmantles as well.

12-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey if anyone wants to talk about movies how about Balrogs! You know... That creature with the fire whip Gandalf was fighting as he fell down that hole.

12-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey if anyone wants to talk about movies how about Balrogs! You know... That creature with the fire whip Gandalf was fighting as he fell down that hole.

Absolutely, I cant wait to see how Del Toro handles Smaug!
The silmarillion portrays Balrogs, among other things, as being far less awesome than Jackson portrayed his to be.

No self-respecting cat would have tentacles coming out of its shoulders!

Yeah, the supplementals in particular seem to have some ridiculous monsters. They seem like half-assed afterthoughts of 'monsters' IMO... many of them. like adding tentacles to a companion animal..
a decision some misguided WoTC graphic artist made at 4:00 AM

Dimthar
12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Absolutely, I cant wait to see how Del Toro handles Smaug!
The silmarillion portrays Balrogs, among other things, as being far less awesome than Jackson portrayed his to be.

I don't have my book with me, but if I am not mistaken only 2 other Balrogs are killed in the Silmarillion (in the attack of Gondolin if I a not mistaken) and the elven heroes that killed them die with them (I think Glorfindel is one them).

The fall of Kazad-dum is credited to the Balrog (Durin's Bane) and Legolas reaction to the (specially in the book) calls for a very feared demon.

12-06-2008, 02:56 PM
yeah, It is supposed to be bad-ass. nor was durin's bane the most powerful or bad-ass of the balrogs. The heroes, it seems, were also pretty hardcore. I think at one point some of the First generation of elves from Valinor just run up to the gates of Uctumno / Angband and beat the shit out of like.. 6 balrogs. I think Feanor, Finarfin, or Maedhros one of those dudes is "encircled by Balrogs" and kills almost all of them before he dies. in the "early days" when elves were hardcore rather than artsy.
and the 'fire drakes' of angband and Ungolient's 'daughters' were supposedly more bad ass than balrogs.;)

RealmsDM
12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Quick question: do monsters with templates & class levels count? If they do, then I cast my next vote for a fiendish pixie half troll barbarian.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
I've used wererats as of late. Very useful for city adventures when cavernous sewers and underdark adventures are the focus, where thieves and assassins were sticken with the curse.

Of course, undead, zombies, and perhaps even vamps, oh my, always add a bit of copper flavoring to any horror adventure.

Hmm, Thoth wonders if anyone caught the humor in his last line.

Wulfenstien
12-09-2008, 02:34 AM
I got a few.

Any aquatic large or larger. Sea mosters have always been terifying/fascinating for me.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/baylock/sea-monster.jpg

Gnolls. Few creatures are as brutal as are heyena friends and there crunchy enough to be put at low levels and tough enough to take on higher level charachters in numbers.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/baylock/iw_flind.jpg

And of course undead. Everything from the mindless skeleton to the cunning vampire, I especially like ghouls.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/baylock/Ghoul.jpg

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-09-2008, 03:10 AM
For underwater creatures, then the Aboleth has to be the scariest. I tried to find the pic that i think best captures the creature(from a 1st edition module), but this is the best i could find on google: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ee_0605_aboleth.jpg

12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Ok now we're talking about Sea Creatures. Allow me to bring up Subject A: The Krakken. AKA: The monster that ate Jack Sparrow in Pirates Of The Caribbean. Try fighting one of those things and call me in the morning.

1958Fury
12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Ok now we're talking about Sea Creatures. Allow me to bring up Subject A: The Krakken. AKA: The monster that ate Jack Sparrow in Pirates Of The Caribbean. Try fighting one of those things and call me in the morning.

Better yet, the Kraken from Clash of the Titans. Newfangled CGI has nothing on Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion puppetry!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Ah, youre right. Krakken rule! I had one attack a vessel on the GlimmerSea once. Very memorable experience. I believe we lost two players that day. Very cool game.

Wulfenstien
12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Is the meggaladon to be found some were in dnd? I have not yet found it. The meggaladon btw is a giant whale sized shark that might actually exist and im not talking a whale shark. check this youtube out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yQKQCQD2JE&feature=related

TAROT
12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Is the megalodon to be found somewhere in dnd?

In the AD&D(1) Monster Manual under shark.
I'm pretty sure that the 3rd ed MM had "Shark, Huge."

12-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Did you guys like the movie Sphere? As a 10 year old, I was particularly vexed by the jellyfish scene. now I have an irrational rational fear of ocean water lol!

but sphere-jellyfish are real though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uImYGwRgs2k

A lot of deep sea fish literally look like stuff from the monster manual:biggrin:

Megalodons seem pretty neat, but they don't bother me too much, they 'look fell but feel fair' as they say. Humans are perhaps more deadly. Schools of sharks are 1/400th as lethal as, say, DC public schools. annually at least. Spiders and Jellyfish terrify me, so I know how unreasonable my fears are.

I suppose that humans lived long beside lethal Pleiocene arachnids, and just innately fear them.
But certainly, there is a warm place i my heart for Abolleths Illithids or any other Cthulhu, be they land, air or sea.

JayJurczynski
02-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Trolls. Particularly when using a group of different types of trolls with differing vulnerabilities.

There's nothing quite like the panic in the eyes of the players when they pull out their trusty alchemical fire, torches, and other fire based weapons and find they have no effect on their foes!:eek:

nijineko
02-06-2009, 04:59 PM
i'm rather fond of the entire chain of shapeshifting monsters.

DMMike
02-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Ah, youre right. Krakken rule! I had one attack a vessel on the GlimmerSea once. Very memorable experience. I believe we lost two players that day. Very cool game.

I've seen characters go down. But players? That's brutal.

My favorite monster...advanced fire elemental, casts fireball as a supernatural ability once every 1d4 rounds. Maybe with a fiendish template.

I'll have another one in 5 minutes...

RandomAct
02-06-2009, 11:44 PM
If I'm just flipping through a monster manual, my favortie baddie may just have to be the Bhut. I had so much fun watching my players try to kill just one of the body-jumpers that was loose in a tomb. Actually, one of the PCs was killed (a common occurence for this particular player), and the very next round his body was up and fighting his allies.

I always find, however, that the best bad-guys are the ones that have something special about them. in one encounter, my party fought three demons in what would be a boring encounter, except that the demons were wielding magic gear rivalling the power of what my players had. And there's nothing like a class-compatible monster with a few character levels. It doesn't have to be a boss in order for you to put some effort into it.

kirksmithicus
02-07-2009, 01:12 AM
People, living or dead.

kitsune1842
02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Favorite monsters hands down are Dragons. I have been told I have an odd and questionably healthy obsession with the big scaley beasties.

That said, I will always fear the lone Kobold that seems unimpressed with the PCs, no matter what he always seems to win the fight in the most emberassing way possible. That and I love Aboliths, Abolyths, the giant psychic sea going critters that should have thier own H.P. Lovecraft story. I so wish that I could find a plastic Mini of one of them I could put in a fish tank. Only ones I can find are usualy pewter and I do not want to give my fish heavy metal poisoning.

nijineko
02-09-2009, 05:03 PM
embed it in resin or plastic and then dump it in?

cigamnogard
02-10-2009, 08:33 PM
The main reason I got into D&D = dragons.
Hint: spell my name backwards!

Drizzit red
02-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Dragons are very fun to run against players, but so are Kobolds. My players tremble when they see my Kobolds. They are very smart, and like to set lots of traps.

Dragons are fun, well cuz they are dragons. They are also fun due to the fact that they get so many attacks a round, and can do some massive damage to a party real quick.

Anaesthesia
02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't have any favorites per se-there are too many I like! (However a current favorite that I created are Dronkeys)

BTW, has anyone seen this article (it's just too funny for words)- D&D Stupid Monsters (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm)

Baldwin Stonewood
02-25-2009, 01:02 PM
I do enjoy dragons but a well placed displacer beast can be fun for a party too.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
I miss Blink Dogs.

DragonPrince
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Well of course Dragons...but a Tarrasque was alway a fun way to kill of parties....LOL

Otakar
02-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks, Anaesthesia, for turning me on to the "stupid D&D monster" site. I was going to mention that I always like the "clean-up crew" of slimes and jellies, but have to admit that they do seem a little silly now. I never used the Grey Ooze since I couldn't really get into 1st ed Psionics but the Black Pudding was my first miniature that I owned and painted and I remember being a proud 5th gade Rembrandt painting it with Black Pudding Black. Of course the White Pudding from Against the Giants was the kind of imagination the "Stupid Monster" site points out. I remember thinking it quite innovative at the time. Oh, and I will use the Gelatinous Cube! ;)

Moritz
02-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Rust Monster. Because there's always one player stupid enough to attack the creature wearing full plate.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Rust_monster.jpg
--- Merged from Double Post ---
And Carrion Crawlers, because there's always one character who falls into the Pit Trap (love pit traps) where the crawler is waiting to devour the character at the bottom

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG31.jpg

1958Fury
02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Rust Monster. Because there's always one player stupid enough to attack the creature wearing full plate.

"How he got into my full plate, I'll never know."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Rust Monsters, Carrion Crawlers, & Rot Grubs, oh my. Gotta love 'em all. It's pretty much a guarantee that i will introduce one of each of these to a party over the course of their adventuring careers.

“Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are chewy and good with catsup. " --Robert N. Charrette, Shadowrun: Never Deal With A Dragon.

Baldwin Stonewood
02-27-2009, 04:54 AM
I miss Blink Dogs.

Blink dogs are fun

Moritz
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
This thread makes me D&D homesick. I love those really low level games (1-8th) where the players are barely pulling it out. Having to use their heads to make things work. Because they don't have the raw power to just push through the dungeon.

Otakar
03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
It is a good thread for making you think back to simpler adventures.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I'll take it a step further; i miss the old times with the old, unbalanced, grittier and darker versions of said game, houserules included, of course.

Freejack
03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Favorites and ones I've used often.

1. Kobold Kommando Korps. Nothing like "death from above" in a dungeon hallway :D

2. I can't recall the name off hand, but they are hard shelled bees. They create hives at the end of long hallways by getting up to speed and impacting into the end of the hall.

bzzzzzzZZZZZ*ding*

"*ow*! What the hell was that?"

bzzzzZZZZ zzzZZZZZ zzzZZZZZzzzz *thud* *ding* *ding*

"Crap! Back up, back up. It's them damn bees again."

3. Gelatinous Cubes were always fun, if a little odd :)

Yea, bringing back the old days of AD&D.

Carl

cigamnogard
03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
It's odd but my D&D career as a player has rarely ever been in a dungeon...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
It's odd but my D&D career as a player has rarely ever been in a dungeon...
I played with a player last year that has 10+ years of experience and he never played in a dungeon(Underdark). I had trouble just wrapping my brain around that one, so you're not alone. Apparently, there is a very small club of gamers out there.

I prefer adventuring in the Underdark and like to think that the majority of my characters' adventures in my life were in the Underdark. I know other players where they played mostly in cities. I guess players play in locations they prefer. If you find the right GM, then i totally envy your first true Underdark adventure.

yukonhorror
03-09-2009, 09:43 PM
stirges

big annoying hard to hit mosquitos.

iron golems

I like robots

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-09-2009, 11:17 PM
stirges

big annoying hard to hit mosquitos.

iron golems

I like robots
Stirges: Play the (spoiler omitted) of WLD (Worlds Largest Dungeon), and then, with a straight face, tell me they're your favorite. In play character quote: Too many... cant survive... run... run!

Iron Golems: Fought one once, lost a few party members if i remember correctly. Very cool!

Robots? Check out S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, and alter it to your preferred edition. Very cool robots found within. Cool factor: 5 Stars!

Otakar
03-10-2009, 11:38 AM
When I was listening to the Penny Arcade D&D Podcast they used reanimating zombies. I think I like that a lot. Reanimate zombies as "Rotter" minions or skeletons as "Decrepid" minions. That adds to the "creepy."

spotlight
03-10-2009, 02:47 PM
The Iron Golem thing reminds me. Had a party going to a city to get something, (they were to steal it, but didn't know yet). They discovered the walled city was under siege by a huge hoard of orcs w/ogre support. Three Iron Golems came out of the city gates and began laying waste to the orcs. The party elected to attack the Golems. They were only 5th level average. No Chance In Hell !?! What were they thinking?!? I asked them later why they tried to help the orcs and died for it. I still don't know. oh, well nice monsters any way. they just aren't always evil.

cigamnogard
03-10-2009, 07:51 PM
When I was listening to the Penny Arcade D&D Podcast they used reanimating zombies. I think I like that a lot. Reanimate zombies as "Rotter" minions or skeletons as "Decrepid" minions. That adds to the "creepy."

Which to be honest makes alot of sense...

Moritz
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
The party elected to attack the Golems. They were only 5th level average. No Chance In Hell !?!

Did they have a specific Summon Monster spell where they could call forth a horde of Rust Monsters to fight the horde of Iron Golems?

Otakar
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Moritz, that's a good point about the rust monsters. I like reading these forums becuase I'm not one of those "think outside the box" guys. Innovative characters can turn an almost impossible encounter into a cake walk. It seems important for a DM to let that happen sometimes and move on.

spotlight
03-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Any one who would rush in to help defend orcs when said creatures were attacking the city they were tying to reach, well such do not think of such backups as rust monsters. Others player do tend to 'fight fire with fire' so to speak. But, Fools rush in ...

tesral
03-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Moritz, that's a good point about the rust monsters. I like reading these forums becuase I'm not one of those "think outside the box" guys. Innovative characters can turn an almost impossible encounter into a cake walk. It seems important for a DM to let that happen sometimes and move on.

Rust monsters. I had party fry a bunch and on a whim I announced that they smelled wonderful. They tried it. The quest was on to capture rust monsters, thereafter renamed "land lobster" and breed them for food." They are still the only real supplier of the beasts to the gourmet market.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-16-2009, 03:16 AM
I had my party deal with rust monsters after a run in with some giant trapdoor spiders(killed a player and made the rest paranoid) in WLD(Worlds Largest Dungeon). They still werent aware of the secret(keeping spoiler secret) and cooked them for food. I made them iron toxic and everyone had to make saves(they all did, luckily). We had a dwarf in the party so i had him role a knowledge check, but he was young and low in stats and failed his knowledge role. Party paid for that one. He he <accomplied with Evil laugh>

Otakar
03-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Rust monsters. I had party fry a bunch and on a whim I announced that they smelled wonderful. They tried it. The quest was on to capture rust monsters, thereafter renamed "land lobster" and breed them for food." They are still the only real supplier of the beasts to the gourmet market.

Good one! Eating monsters definately adds flavor to the game (pardon the pun). I don't know if I would've encouraged the breeding program though. Still, thanks for the idea!

tesral
03-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Good one! Eating monsters definately adds flavor to the game (pardon the pun). I don't know if I would've encouraged the breeding program though. Still, thanks for the idea!

It was an in character decision and they developed the methods for keeping and feeding them. One thing I do is rust monsters do not live on rust. There isn't enough free metal in nature to provide them an ecology. They naturally eat iron oxide and need it to breed. There is enough of that around. However, they don't need it to survive. They are omnivores of opportunity.

One side effect of their fascination with their new culinary treat is when they found an old battlefield they were as interested in the fallen and uselessly rusted weapons as the treasure there was to find. Two tons of broken and rusted steel weapons and they were as giddy as if it was chest full of gold.

As an aside rust monsters are one of the truly annoying monsters. They exist only to give PCs trouble. They, as written, could not exist in nature. Even if you stipulate a wizardly creation meant to defeat his foes by rusting their weapons and armor away so his more conventional forces can mop them up, why are they still around? They all should have starved by now.

In general do not like monsters that exist simply to make life hard for the PCs. Rust monsters, Disenchanters, and like beasts make no ecological or evolutionary sense. That said, I was charmed by the cute picture in the 1e Monster Manual, and I found a way around the stupid part. I still perfer that picture over later ones.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-16-2009, 12:28 PM
What i did was equate the rust with salt licks for other creatures. Rust monsters are omnivores but require rust(think iron supplements) for their bodies to function properly. If a rust monster hasnt taken in enough rust, they start acting rabid and get extremely motivated to attack characters with metal weapons. This is how i get around tesrals argument that they were designed solely to give characters problems in the game. I've also done this with other creatures to have them actually make... sense(term used loosely).

Moritz
03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
D&D is supposed to make sense?

Hang on, I thought it was just a bunch of random encounters tossed out by some angry god (DM) to challenge the peons (players) of the world.

nijineko
03-17-2009, 02:39 AM
guess you need to make a will check versus insanity....

tesral
03-17-2009, 08:48 AM
What i did was equate the rust with salt licks for other creatures..

I believe I said that, while adding they need it to breed.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I believe I said that, while adding they need it to breed.
I was actually agreeing with you in my earlier post, but just in a roundabout (not to be confused with the song) way. :laugh:

John Wolf
04-15-2009, 03:50 AM
Dragons and werewolves ftw. You come up against either and you know your in for a fight. You go up against them in Ravenloft and you know your screwed.

Third choice is Vampires, we survived Ravenloft *****, don't mess with us!

Chi
04-15-2009, 02:38 PM
OH ya Vampires, I forgot about vampires.

tesral
04-15-2009, 03:23 PM
OH ya Vampires, I forgot about vampires.

I treat Vampires differently. Less of a monster and more of a Foe, if that is the case. Unless it is a randomly encountered hungry vampire the party will have a war on their hands. A vampire never attacks you directly, they use minions and foils.

Fooliobass
04-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Drow are one of my favs.
I love the darkness ability they have in 3.5.
"wheres the cleric, cast daylight"
"im out!!!"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Drow and the Underdark are my favorites in dnd. I write many of my stories about the Drow and the Underdark, including running many an adventure around the Glimmersea. Yeah, i'm old-school.

Tamerath
04-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Vampires, Liches, and Dragons

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Oh, i pity your Ravenloft party, Tamerath: Vampires, Liches, Werewolves, and Dragons, oh my. :eek:

Tamerath
04-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh, i pity your Ravenloft party, Tamerath: Vampires, Liches, Werewolves, and Dragons, oh my. :eek:

Hard to beat the classics :) I guess you could add Flesh Golems, and well done high level mummies as well :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Hard to beat the classics :) I guess you could add Flesh Golems, and well done high level mummies as well :)
You may act like a nice guy, Tamerath, but just know that Jermaine and i know you're a devilishly clever, killer, Evil DM. Admit it! Dont deny it! Admit it, i say! :rolleyes:

BrotherDog
04-20-2009, 05:41 AM
I can't really name a single specific favorite as many are exactly that in one way or another. However I do miis the best DM tool for those who are always too qick to act without thinking. Nilbogs.

Muhahahahahahahahahahahahaha...!!!

tesral
04-20-2009, 08:55 AM
I can't really name a single specific favorite as many are exactly that in one way or another. However I do miis the best DM tool for those who are always too qick to act without thinking. Nilbogs.

I've always considered niblogs to be just a bad idea. They don't make any sense. It's not a complete reversal, just the healing. If they where truly reversals food would make them hungry, water cause dehydration, and chastity would cause them to overproulate. It's a rule quirk to drive the players, not their characters, but the players crazy. I will firmly go on record as dislikeing any monster that hangs on the game mechanics to exist.

Kobolds. I prefer Kobolds if you want a small easily killed monster that drives the characters up the wall. They don't come out and fight, you have to dig the little bastiches out one at a time.

nijineko
04-21-2009, 02:16 AM
Kobolds. I prefer Kobolds if you want a small easily killed monster that drives the characters up the wall. They don't come out and fight, you have to dig the little bastiches out one at a time.

with spoons, because all your good gear fell victim to the traps they left for diggers. ^^

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-21-2009, 04:01 AM
I always like goblins. I felt them to be... under respected. Well, i changed that in my games.

Panthro82
04-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Has to be my all-time favorite mythical creature. The Nightmare!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
phase spiders

tesral
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
phase spiders

It's just a phase they are going through.

cigamnogard
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I always like goblins. I felt them to be... under respected. Well, i changed that in my games.

Here is some goblin action for you:

http://groups.google.com/group/empires-of-earth-and-stone-for-dungeons-and-dragons-3035e/browse_thread/thread/d70035b1311d655c/f3f7dbc43f0c5692?hl=en&

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Goblins are cool when played correctly, not unlike orcs, and kobolds. Too bad DM's like to use them as fodder.

cigamnogard
04-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Oops...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Oops...
Never heard of it. Is it dangerous?

Malruhn
04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
One would think that they are VERY dangerous! Every time I've heard one announced at the gaming table, things turned out very badly!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Come to think of it, every time i've heard of such an encounter, it always went badly.

tesral
04-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Gotta watch out for the random Oops. Worse than the Oh-no in most cases.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-22-2009, 12:59 AM
I love the randomness of Oops attacks. One never really can prepare for whats to come.

agoraderek
04-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Human Wizard. Or the gnoll cleric from Maure Castle (Dungeon Magazine)...

Otakar
04-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Goblins are cool when played correctly, not unlike orcs, and kobolds. Too bad DM's like to use them as fodder.

I skipped 3rd Ed but I really like these 4th Ed goblins. 1st Level Cleric and 2nd Level Ranger took on a Hexer by himself and they barely made it. That definately wasn't standard in 2nd Ed.

cigamnogard
04-22-2009, 04:34 PM
oh no!

Kaewin
04-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I like a good Mind Flayer, they will make a party sweat just looking at them. I had a player cry because one was attacking her.

Also I like the Githzerai, always wanted to play one as a monk. The few times I sat as a player I would get a no.

I can'rt satnd the Drow though, way to over used.

cigamnogard
04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I like a good Mind Flayer, they will make a party sweat just looking at them. I had a player cry because one was attacking her.

Also I like the Githzerai, always wanted to play one as a monk. The few times I sat as a player I would get a no.

I can'rt satnd the Drow though, way to over used.
Duergar are way too under used :(

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Duergar are way too under used :(
Now that, i would agree with. I encourage use of them in my games, to no avail. They do, however, make an appearance though, in my Underdark campaigns.

They get their respect from me.

cigamnogard
04-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I tried one in my first play by post campaign and really liked how he was. He is still an NPC in my own play by post site.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-23-2009, 04:37 PM
A very cool, if under appreciated race, to be sure.

tesral
04-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Now that, i would agree with. I encourage use of them in my games, to no avail. They do, however, make an appearance though, in my Underdark campaigns.

They get their respect from me.

I haven't had an adventure in the underdark in ages. So yes, Duergar do not see much face time. For that matter neither do Drow, once I made them light phobic. Dark elves are clear. They have no pigment in their skin and burn in any exposure to sunlight.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Then in your game this quote is quite literally true: There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world. Both cool and scary to players in a game.

tesral
04-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Then in your game this quote is quite literally true: There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world. Both cool and scary to players in a game.

Oh yes. Orcs barely break the surface of the world. They don't dare go truly deep. The Moraquendi don't like Orcs any better than surface Elves do. Duergar likewise have no use for the foul things, they don't even cook up well.

The last time they went underground it was to the "Chamber of the Weeping Sky." A huge chamber under a lake where the rain fell constantly. Well not exactly rain mind you, and they needed to dig further into the one great pillar holding the place up. It took months to fill the Camber of the Weeping Sky with square sets. At last the pillar did not hold the chamber up and they could get at the ancient library that had survived the shock that created the lake in the first place. The Drow made the chamber digging for the buried and forgotten treasures.

Kaewin
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Aboleth are nice< my players don't go underground much, they are worried about Drow, silly players I have much nastier things for the deep places.

The best thing about Classic D&D is there are no D5row, just pale Shadow Elves.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-24-2009, 03:58 PM
I've always held a fearful awe towards Aboleths, ever since i saw a picture of one so many years ago. I do love the 1E artwork: less was more, which worked with our imaginations.

tesral
04-25-2009, 02:13 AM
I've always held a fearful awe towards Aboleths, ever since i saw a picture of one so many years ago. I do love the 1E artwork: less was more, which worked with our imaginations.

Full color has it's place, but some the the depictions from some later editions are still the best. I always go back to the 1e kobolds for example, cute, but nasty. I like that about them. The Succubus from 1e. Lovitar from 1e. This is not to say that later edition lack entirely. I like the 3e dragons for the most part. I prefer the earily blue.

cigamnogard
06-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Okay...guess I have to have played Ravenloft.:confused:

Arkhemedes
06-17-2009, 05:15 PM
For fairly low level parties I guess my favorite, tried and true, would be trolls. They come in many different varieties, have multiple attacks and they keep coming back!

However, for the truly bad ass, I'd have to go with the Phaerimm of the Realms. Nasty!

templeorder
06-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I'd say intrigue+humans, but its not technically a monster. For DnD monsters, i would say the gnoll. Tough, strong, using big weapons, organized, somewhat smart (if a bit blood thirsty)...

Of course it always changes by level, but i can perform a lot of miracle nastiness with gnolls.

DarQuing
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd have to say dragons are my favorite monster. Other monsters are good to throw at the players, but dragons will always be teh awesome. :)

RoryN
06-18-2009, 03:20 AM
My favorite to just generally mess with players was a lurker above and a trapper, although mimics were extremely fun as well. Probably one of my all time favorites for just eliciting fear from some of the players was the Death Knight in 2E. Pop that bad boy in a crypt with a few wraiths and such as gaurdians, and it's just more fun than a DM should be allowed to have! :D

Otakar
06-18-2009, 09:12 AM
I think my favorite has always been the slimes, oozes and jellies, a.k.a. clean-up crew. I was glad to see them come back in MMII. I liked the demon lord, Jubilex, too. For you D&D insiders; has Jubilex been mentioned for 4thED?

Dytrrnikl
06-18-2009, 12:11 PM
If I'm looking to give the group a beat down then it's Dragons hands down. Otherwise Kobolds are where it's at, particularly the ones from my homebrew world - they use Legionairre tactics - this has caused my players to run away screaming.

Of course, if we're talking a high level one shot holiday power session adventure, I usually do things like take an uber monster, say the Tarrasque and give it character levels in a class. The last tiem I did this, I took a 3E tarrasque and gave it 10 levels of Monk. The look on everyone's face ...when I described it taking a side ways stance to the group, legs bent and spread to provide maximum stability, one arm drawn back with hand clenched into a fist, wrist facing upwards...while the other was held slightly bent in front of it, hand open with group able to see back of this hand...and then having move the fingers of that hand in a "come to me" gesture... was priceless!!!

Baldwin Stonewood
06-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Paizo (Pathfinder) updated a few of the core monsters - I believe 10 of them- a recent supplement. I liked the changes and have been using them extensively in my campaign. The monsters are: Bugbears, orcs, goblins, gnoll, troll, ogre, minotaur, lizardfolk, kobold, and hobgoblin. Breathed new life in some old friends.

Stabbity
06-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Kobolds, minotaurs, beholders.

In DDO I really love beholders because they barely hurt my wf barb but most everyone else fears (though not as much in the higher levels) them. :D

ryan973
06-22-2009, 06:58 AM
the bulet for me. I dotn alwase bust it out but when I do they get really freaked out.

Speech
06-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Gotta say-my favourite as a GM are any sort of demons-what would we do without those evil chaos spreading baddies.

As a player-I'd say undead; they can either be mindless fodder or the trickiest beasties around.

Oldgamer
06-25-2009, 09:28 AM
My 3 favorites would be Devils, Demons, and Dragons ... couldn't choose between them though.

Arkhemedes
06-25-2009, 09:29 AM
My 3 favorites would be Devils, Demons, and Dragons ... couldn't choose between them though.
No question, those three are good ones.

Panthro82
06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
How about the king of all dragons? The Prismatic Dragon. Those things are amazing!

gajenx
06-29-2009, 11:00 AM
My favorite enemies to use as a DM in dungeon crawls through old underground ruins are undead since it is not hard to figure out how to incorporate them in a slightly believable way. Though I also love using orcs, gobos, possessed peoples, and other humanoids for enemies as well.

Panthro82
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Yea nothing like rolling 7 nat 20's in 1 night to attack and it is all against undead :(

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I ran a combat with a Beholder once. Gotta say, if done right, these floating eyeballs can wipe out a party, especially an arrogant party.

Arkhemedes
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, imagine what a cavern with a dozen beholders and their charmed giant slaves can do! Check out my latest story in the Knights of the Dinner Table thread (insert shameless plug here.)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah, imagine what a cavern with a dozen beholders and their charmed giant slaves can do! Check out my latest story in the Knights of the Dinner Table thread (insert shameless plug here.)
If you're going to insert a shameless plug, then do it correctly by leaving us the link as well. :eek:

I add links to my threads all the time, as well as practically beg others to do the same. Not only does it NOT derail threads, it encourages participation. :biggrin:

Arkhemedes
06-29-2009, 12:38 PM
If you're going to insert a shameless plug, then do it correctly by leaving us the link as well. :eek:

I add links to my threads all the time, as well as practically beg others to do the same. Not only does it NOT derail threads, it encourages participation. :biggrin:
Yeah, wish I knew how to create a link. Just don't have any ranks in 'computer skills'.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah, wish I knew how to create a link. Just don't have any ranks in 'computer skills'.
Just go to your page that lists links you initiated, then copy/paste, or cntl c, cntrl v. Whichever floats your boat.

korhal23
06-29-2009, 12:43 PM

(url=www.placeimlinking.com)words that will be clickable(/url)

Replace the () with square brackets. As in:

This hyperlink (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8317) will take you back to the top of the discussion.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-29-2009, 01:29 PM

You can't go wrong with those three. In my last campaign the pcs fought numerous demons and devils. The theme of the campaign was "C" vs "L" and the bloodwars which were bubbling up into the material plane. They also had a silver dragon ally and the paladin was eaten by a green dragon. Fun fun fun.

Arkhemedes
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try it some time. Now back to the topic?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Again, big spiders are always a hit. In my games, they really are as dangerous as one would think. Nothing is more pleasing than seeing a fear based reaction by the party when glimpsing that may just die from the encounter. <he he, more evil dm laughter cont.>