PDA

View Full Version : Online OpenRPG Traveller (Alternity?) Homebrew Proposal

Etarnon
11-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Hi, I'm a veteran traveller referee, moving into a new home, so things are disrupted.

This is not a solid offer to run a game, it is a "Here's the proposal, let's see who shows up, AND can we commit and bring it all together, over the next month and a half."

So I want to be clear, I'm offering the following info on that tentative basis.

I'd be willing to run a Traveller (Rules, not setting, see later details) game via openRPG, if we could find say two more players. Said game to start oh, mid january, or so. Nights to be determined. 4 to 5 hours sessions average.

Needed: Players. A new website, and I'd have to gen up some new maps, we'd need characters. I plan to release a list of pre-done pre-gens.

My Experience:
I've been a traveller referee since 1977, when i started gaming. Extensive campaigns using Classic Imperium, 2300 AD, and TNE post-virus,

My Books:
I have a total of 7 crates of Classic, Mega, TNE, T4, 2300AD, and Mongoose. I prefer classic with some megaT skills system thrown in. Mongoose is a good second option since it is in print.

Proposed setting would be my own home campaign, not set in the traveller universe, but my own Orion Arm 5440 universe.

Failing that, Alternity is another good system to use, same setting would take a bit longer to set up. I've been wanting to port this whole deal to the Alternity system for some time anyway... but i digress.

My style notes:
"Narrative", backed up by "Simulationist" style a la GNS.
I like Simple Game systems with depth, (Like Classic Traveller)
I'm not a fan of powergaming, or munchkinism.
I'd ask for as detailed a character history as a player can give me, or failing that, I'll give him / her one. No time-travelling weirdness, or multiple personalities, or other off the wall stuff like that.

We're talking Traders, Pilots, Scouts, Military types, in a gritty universe, not Elric flavored angsty loners in space, if you get my meaning.

I'm good at Maps (Of all scales), History (Moreso in Fantasy Games), Plots, and NPC Character Backgrounds, in that order.

My weakness is NPC dialogue in game (But I think I do okay), math in combat, and running stuff "on the fly" or with "Zero prep time"

My wife thinks I'm a much better worldbuilder than DM. She's likely right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposed Setting notes (Subject to change, as the campaign design evolves, until we reach a "Set" Standard, if this even gets off the ground...):

Orion Arm: 5440

The year is 5440. Long ago, the Terran Empire ruled the galaxy, but during "The Annihilation," interstellar war ravaged the area of space known as the Terran Defense Zone, and "The Wastes." Very little is left of the Terran Empire today, except shattered, overgrown ruins on devastated worlds.

In the centuries since "The Annihilation," Humanity has recovered some elements of the old technology, and branched out toward the stars again.

The crews of Explorer ships on deep-space scouting missions now explore the worlds of the Orion Arm. Dark, foreboding places, where one mistake could mean the end of an Explorer, or a whole Explorer team.

The galaxy is full of mysteries, enigmas, and life, most of it alien.

Loose Historical Archive
(under revision)
Pre-Annihilation History

There are only fragmentary records of these days before "The Annihilation", consisting mostly of rumor, legend, and popular belief.

By the 44th Century, the Terran Empire, already drained by centuries of internal religious war, was subject to invasion along the Coreward Frontier. Across whole Sectors of space, civilian interstellar trade and travel tapered off to nil, as the Terran Imperial Navy fought wars on an unimaginable scale against the invaders from the Sagittarius Arm.

Huge fleets clashed over distant worlds, the invaders destroying planets by orbital bombardment in the process. Eventually, the invaders were driven back, but the devastation was vast, and many distant colony worlds no longer received regular food shipments, or other critically needed supplies, due to the decimation of the Terran Fleet.

The Final Collapse of Terran Civilization as a coherent political entity began when local planetary forces on many worlds attacked the local Terran Imperial Garrisons, seeking food supplies, parts, and transports to escape their plight.

By The 45th Century, anarchy reigned across space as local planetary armies fought each other over control of their worlds, and literacy and technology had been lost everywhere.

With the dawn of the 46th century, death cults and mass suicides become commonplace.
With little contact between planets, cultural cohesion was lost, and the rise of the majority of the Splinter Races took place,
as the Terran culture continued to fragment.

Near the end of the 4th Millennium, an Intergalactic Dark Age set in, with little to no large scale civilization left.

Known Space was composed of the shattered remnants of the Terran Empire, with scattered pockets of civilization on far-flung worlds. The distant worlds of the farthest sectors of Known Space are extremely dangerous, home to alien creatures of all description.

Through it all, the Neo-Buddhists became the guardians of lost technology, fighting to slow the inevitable collapse of civilization, as much as they could, by preserving the old records.

In the furthest reaches of space, planets are destroyed by technological catastrophes, caused by the loss of civilization, trade, and travel.

Near the end of the period, civilization slowly returns to isolated worlds. Whole cultures drifted into new forms, and multiple societies began to rebuild their lost technology. Many others simply died.

During the recovery process, interstellar piracy and raiding was common, while the scant few traders who still operated made huge profits in supplying off-world goods to those planets unlucky enough to be cut off from regular trade.

On other worlds, a few individuals become powerful when they discover the remnants of the lost technology.

After a long period of multiple centuries, new human cultures emerge, as the interstellar civilization recovers.

Recorded History
5103 The old secrets of the Terran's Tachyon drive are puzzled out by the Neo-Buddhist Masters of the Temple of Enlightenment, which heralds the slow beginning of a new age of discovery and exploration of space. Expeditions are soon planned to journey Rimward along the stars of the Orion Arm. Soon after the first Tachyon Ships are launched, a few nearby systems to Rimward in a sector of space now known as The Lost Colonies were found to be inhabited by Humans, very similar in appearance, the first contacts with what is called the Splinter Races.

5109 Political overtures were made, and finally a loose interstellar government is formed, and the Orion Republic is born.

5132 A hostile alien ship of unknown origin enters the Aleph system, and destroys all of the colonies there before it is crippled in battle by the Heavy Cruiser Endeavor. The aliens are discovered to be an arachnid race that is later to be called the K'Klak.

5135 A massive effort to resist raids by waves of K'Klak invaders on the outlying colonies and worlds of the Orion Republic begins. At first, system after system falls before the fierce onslaught, due to the relatively slow speed of the Tachyon Drive, and the inability to coordinate large-scale fleet defenses. Planet after planet is bombed, and the K'Klak Fleet slowly moves closer, year after year.

5212 It seemed that there was no hope to win the war with the K'Klak, until the Battlecruiser Pacifica encounters a previously unknown race, later to be called The Felis in the Gamma Leonis system while on deep space patrol.

The Felis, bitter enemies of the K'Klak, had managed to fight them to a standstill along a large corridor of detroyed worlds in the Arcturus Sector. In a major step toward Interstellar cooperation, the Felis and Orion Republic start immediate negotiations for a mutually beneficial partnership, which was formally recognized by both races within 8 years as the Galactic Alliance. The Felis contributed the secrets of the Quantum Drive, which was nearly 3 times more efficient than the Tachyon Drive, enabling ships to move the distance of a light-year in only a month's subjective time.

The Orion Republic Fleet fits the new Felis Quantum Drive into their largest Akagi class Battlecruisers, and sends them out to engage the K'Klak on the fringes of Republic territory. Slowly, The K'Klak retreat toward the Sarpedon sector of space, but each battle is still one of bloody attrition.

5308 Entering the Arcturus Sector in early 5308, Admiral Nakagawa uses a secret tactic that he had developed to utilize the gravitational disturbance of the Black Hole at Arcturus Null to mask the emissions of his Coreward Strike Fleet. In the resulting slaughter, the K'Klak Assault Fleet was left burning or crippled, and many ships fell into the black hole at Arcturus Null and were crushed out of existence. Returning to the Core Worlds, Nakagawa proclaims himself Emperor of the Orion Empire, and he is supported wholeheartedly by the Republic Military.

5368 The Orion Empire fully redevelops the Core Worlds Sector, bringing every world under Imperial Rule.

5370 The Orion Empire experiences new growth as it reabsorbs the formerly lost worlds of the Outer Colonies over a period of about 33 years. Most are readmitted peacefully, but a few revolt, and are quickly obliterated to serve as examples in a series of Actions known as the Island Worlds Rebellions. Attacks by Island Worlds resistance groups occur nearly continuously over the next half-century.

Recent History
5401 Emperor Miklos dies suddenly, in late 5401, of an inherited genetic disease.

5402 The Felis make the first overtures toward peace to Miklos' young successor, Marcus, and soon the Felis Peace Treaty is signed, at Arcturus-Null, on New Year day, 5402.

5403 The Imperialization of the Outer Colonies is complete, as the last remaining colony world, Droshan, submits to Imperial rule.

5405 Emperor Marcus commissions the first members of the Imperial Explorer Corps, tasking them with a long-term survey of Unexplored space, with the goal of eventual Imperial Expansion.

5407 A major naval battle is fought to Coreward against an unknown enemy, forcing the Coreward fleet to withdraw.

5410 The Coreward War against the Shret begins.

5420 Emperor Marcus dies at the hands of a Island Worlds assassin, who is caught and executed within the month. Elana assumes his place on the throne, as Empress.

5421 Empress Elana stuns the Empire by signing the Fringeworld Act, which gives many planets of the Fringe Worlds and the Island Worlds their freedom from Imperial rule. She thus orders a large number of new naval construction contracts, that soon employ a significant potion of Fringe Worlds Industrial complexes.

5425 Empress Elessar comes to power as her elder sister Elana is killed in an explosion aboard her Flagship, OSS Justicar, in a battle along the coreward frontier against the Shret Fleet. Empress Elessar is seen as weak, and ineffective by the majority of the populace.

5427 The Rim Wars begin, as many Fringe Worlds systems engage in destructive raids on one another, for natural resources.

5431 The First Rim War Ends in an unstable peace between combatant Fringe Worlds.

5434 Beginning of the 2nd Rim War.

5439 Attacks by raiders of the 2nd Rim War taper off, with much of the Island Worlds industry in ruins.

5440 Present Day
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Again, this also might end up being Alternity, depending on interest. I'm asking for people to work with me. I'm willing to buy Player's hand books from Ebay for committed players, depending on the game. (I have access to a local Ebay store gamer that gets me stuff dirt cheap, that is playable, but not saleable condition.)

Anyone interested, let me know. If we get at least 3 players who seem likely to commit, and we can work out a night to play, i'll get started.

Again game won't be running till 15 January or so.

I live in EST time zone.

Etarnon
12-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Okay so I've started working on this. Maps to be released over the next week. Rules set is still up in the air, leaning toward mongoose, since I just bought High Guard for Mongoose Traveller at one of the FLGS's in the area.

Happy holidays everyone.

pfmgamer
01-10-2009, 04:55 PM
How's this building up? Got a firm group yet or schedule? Interested in playing, but due to work schedule Friday nights or Saturday would be my only availability.

Etarnon
01-11-2009, 03:59 AM
No firm group, no group at all. The ad I placed weeks ago in a few local game stores with phone number and email and pull tabs with same got zero responses.

I was about to switch gears and perhaps try posting the setup for a Birthright 2e flavored game, or something, since this didn't meet with any response.

Some guys who wandered into the store said they might enjoy star wars d20.

A few people I currently game with said they'd like 3.0 D&D.

;)

Thanks for your interest and vote of confidence.

I'll see if I can find another. Maybe two weeks or so, I'll keep looking.

Kind of surprised that the ads got no response, since mongoose seems to be selling well.

pfmgamer
01-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Travellers a great system, and Mongoose didn't do anything to lessen it. I haven't played in a years but would love to give it a go. If you get some more interest let me know.

Etarnon
01-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Will do. I'm still working on it, i'll put up more ads in online venues, centered around openRPG.

DeadMike
01-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Still working on this?? I play MGT online wedsday nights. Other nights I am open to play if you are looking for players. I don't log in here much though. I'll look back in next week. Mike

Etarnon
01-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Yes, still working on it. :) Mostly lack of interested players. That makes two.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Huge Traveller fan here. Wishing you the best of luck getting it going. Wish I lived closer.

DeadMike
01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Lived closer? This is an online game right?? How many players are you looking for total and what night/nights of the week are you looking to play??? Mike

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Ha! Youre right, it is an online game. Apparently, Thoth is so busy writing his final paper that he didnt notice.

Hey Etarnon... i may be interested in an online Traveller campaign. I've only ever played CT-and have all the material. I know nothing of Alternity-well, almost nothing. As of right now, i am currently in an online 1st edition dnd game-which i plan to get fully involved with in the next two days, and believe i will have the time for two online campaigns.

Etarnon
02-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Yes it is online, via openRPG.

Was looking for 3.

Saturdays are taken up by my in person 2e game with cplmac as DM, and my online OpenRPG Sunday 3.0 D&D game.

Basically because I let the idea of running this lapse, sue to lack of interest.

Maybe something every other week on a friday?

I'd go more into this, but I'm recovering from the flu.

Etarnon
02-02-2009, 12:01 AM
okay so it looks like some interest, i'll push more on this and get it into runnable condition.

pfmgamer
02-02-2009, 03:38 AM
Glad to see this is going to happen. Friday nights would work great for me. I have a milk crate full of original Traveller. I leant my copy of Mongoose to a co-worker who then got laid off, so I'm not sure I'll have access to those rules until I get a replacement book. You had talked about pre-gens, but will we be allowed to submit for review and acceptance our own characters?

Etarnon
02-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah sure. PRe gens is if people are too new to the game. You got a pre gen run it by me.

This is gonna be a scouts / fropntier type game, pretty much. Get the flavor from the thread upstairs.

This is not the third Imperium, This is OrionArm:5440.
Jump drive etc works the same. It's just using Traveller rules in my homebrew.

Characters desired: Scouts, army, navy, marines, Even an odd spy or two. etc. No subterfuge within the party, no PVP. I don't want this puppy to disintegrate.

I also just am not looking for any kind of pirates. Mostly say former military or squared away guys seeking to explore new worlds, either by assignment or for economics.

A lot of what goes on will be determined by the characters, and their enemies as generated...

I want to use mongoose rather than classic because of the many and varied hooks and connections, mongoose uses which traveller didn't have because it was pre gurps and such.

I'm looking for a crew for a small scout ship or perhaps a merchant ship, cracking open the frontier. Maps to follow, hopefully by tomorrow. I'll work on getting some sample PCs up.

Have an interesting backstory. Triumphs are good, failures your PC is working through are good.

Even if only two players can be found, I'll run this. Traveller was my first game, which started me as Referee in 1977, when I was 11 years old.

Actual game day start depends. This friday is likely gonna be too soon. I am starting up a 3.0 online game this sunday and still got stuff to do for that.

Glad to see all this interest, I'll work with everyone as much as I can.

:)

If I still didn't have the flu, I'd be dancing. as it is a little flop of the arms, and a crackly dry throat hurrah, is about all I'll manage.

Gonna try to get a TNS blog going. I'll link it when it is up.

*salute* to all prospective players of this.

Dark
02-02-2009, 09:03 PM
:(Man! With my Friday's and Saturdays filled with my World's Largest Dungeon table top game I have little time to play and I would have loved to have played.

I wish your game the best of luck and if something changes any chance to join?

Etarnon
02-03-2009, 04:51 AM
I wish your game the best of luck and if something changes any chance to join?

Yes, certainly. By all means. Join as you can.

Traveller is my favorite RPG. I have played it as a Referee since 1977. I have 7 crates of all versions of it.

Etarnon
02-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Soft Serve has started generating a character for this:

We took a break in the middle of character generation, at the end of term 1, and saved it to complete another time. So far, he's got:

Name: Ether Drake

Term 1: Drifter (Deep Space Salvage Crew [Scavenger])

STR 9
DEX A
END 7
INT 6
EDU 6
SOC 8

Animals -1
Athletics-0
Carousing -1
Gun Combat-1
Medic-1
Melee(unarmed)-0
Recon-0
Stealth-0
Streetwise-0
Survival-1
Trade-0

At end of term 1, ready for reenlistment, etc.

Homeworld: Wieq A766585-9
Subsector Coordinates: L0307 Zanbar Drift
Sector Coordinates: 2727 Far Reaches

Wieq (Wee-'ek) is a minor trade hub in the Zanbar Drift subsector of the Far Reaches Sector, that doubles as an agricultural world that exports exotic textiles (based on autumn seasonal harvesting of the Wieq Insect) and a pleasure spot for travelling space crews, and tourists. A small Class A spaceport has an active starship design industry, and the adjacent shipyard supports regular construction of yacht-sized ships, with occassional larger projects under special contract.

The world has been populated for almost 60 years, and the northern continent of Jodash is subject to harsh weather conditions, including Flash Freezing, Flash Floods, Plains Fires, etc.

The local culture is quite liberal, and openly welcomes changes and offworld Travellers and influences.

Visitors are required to register their business, and length of stay, but once upon the world, are free to travel to unrestricted sites.

The moonlets of Wieq, and asteroid belts in the inner and outer system are resource rich, and support multiple corporations that claim extra-territoriality from mainworld law, and are under self (usually corporate) rule.

Wieq supports a Mainworld downport, and Orbital Port along with multiple spaceports throughout the system for ore deliveries.

Notable Corporations present in the system:
Alvarado Research Logistics
BeyeoSystems, Inc.
Burns Recreation
Engineered Chemical
Garnet Stardrive
Gaseous Research
GeneTech
Genetibank
Genetics Solutions
Horizon Belters
Integrated Recreations
Irridium Ores
Irridium Science Labs
Kerr Power Plants
Lee Entertainment Publishing
Lenser Memory Clothing
Locus Mining, Inc
Marquez International Apparel
Mercantile Digital
Mutual Mining Logistics
North Wieq Pharmecuticals
Paragon Extraction
Power Entertainment
Salazar Minerals
TransStellar, LLC
TransStellar Salvage, LLC

pfmgamer
02-05-2009, 03:35 AM
I've been generating characters as practice, and unfortunately came up with one I really like. Would you prefer to meet online to roll up PC's, or can we submit stats and background? Either way would be fine.

Etarnon
02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I have said earlier in the thread, you can submit.

If he's social level G, next in line to inherit the throne of heaven, And his father is sector grand amiral Thrawn with a lightsaber factory, I'd like to witness the rerolls.

Otherwise, PM or Email it to me.

Email me the practice ones you'd like to meet as NPCs, that you don't like.

I'll let you know if they fit / work / need changed. Leave details of planets a little loose so I can plug them in to my setting or take a planet from my setting and use it as your homeworld.

As In, "He's from a waterworld, port class A, population 1 mil" is fine. maybe a little more than that.

But...

He's from the deep undersea city of Nodosowshki, that has a special cross-genre jedi training academy that flew through a star trek dimensional time portal set up by Dr. Who that was going to be flooded, except his ultra special godlike mutant powers prevented it...

I'm not looking for the latter. At all.

:)

Etarnon
02-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Rules set to be used is definitely now Mongoose Traveller Core Rulebook. Hardback Copies will be available, if players commit, and play consistently. I can mail the Physical book to you, or reimburse the cost of a DrivethruRPG.pdf, Contact me for more details on this.

If you already have your own copy, so be it.

Character Generation Race Restrictions, for the OrionArm 5440 Setting:

- Humans exist, and are allowed, per the rules.

Other playable races are:

- Aslan (as per p.42) in this setting are a relatively rarely encountered race called the Felis in this setting, and are different from the classic Aslan of Traveller. They have two different races, the Noble Felis, and the Rogue Felis (NPC Only) and are allowed as PCs, with the following restrictions:

1) Any PC Felis is automatically a Noble Felis. The Rogue Felis are only NPCs.
2) Replace the bold paragraph on page 43 with the following:
Noble Felis have Notable Endurance (+1), Notable Social Standing (+2), Weak Strength (-2), Weak Education (-1), and do not have a natural weapon (like the Aslan from Traveller).
Additionally, Noble Felis do not have the Territory Characteristic (like the Aslan from Traveller).
3) Noble Felis can join the following careers:
Agent, Army, Citizen, Merchant, Navy, Nobility, Scholar, and Scout.
4) Noble Felis cannot join the Drifter, Entertainer, Marine, or Rogue career paths.
5) As a player you will have to closely consult with the referee to develop and play a Noble Felis PC, as they have separate Mishaps, and Events, and a different culture from human norms.

There are no Droyne, Vargr, Hivers, or Zhodani in this setting.

Additional New Races of the OrionArm:5440 Setting:

- The Quarlon exist, and are allowed.

The Quarlon are a very rare race of Beings Genetically Engineered from Humans in the far distant past by a race known as the Aeon. The Quarlon are a very intellectual race, and have many different forms of high technology advancements. They look physically like very thin, frail humans, but the exchange of biological data with them indicates that
the similarities are external only. The Quarlon are known to have two different brains, and this adds to their somewhat strange interactions with the nearby Human Colonies located close to their home world. It seems that one brain handles the functions of normal life, while the other brain is used to simultaneously solve complex mathematical and scientific problems. The Quarlon are usually over 7' tall in height, but only weigh 110 Lb., or so. Their exterior skin color is usually a light to deep blue. They have a noticeable (but dim) glowing effect, like a very dim phosphorescent watch would have at night, except that it is emitted from their entire body, which they cannot shut off. They Fatigue easily (1/2 of Endurance for determining Fatigue), breathe rapidly, and eat twice as much as a Human (Life support costs are doubled). In combat, they gain a +2 Initiative bonus.

Quarlon have Weak Endurance (-2), Notable Intelligence (+2), Weak Strength (-1), Weak Dexterity (-1), Notable Education (+1), Notable Social Standing (+1), and Fast Metabolism.
Quarlon can join the following careers:
Drifter, Citizen, Merchant, Nobility, Scholar, Navy, and (Rarely) Scout.
Quarlon cannot join the Agent, Army, Nobility, Entertainer, Marine, or Rogue career paths.
Most Quarlon encountered serve in the Navy as Astrogation specialists, and rarely, Scouts. Any Quarlon that enters the campaign from the Navy or Scouts must have (by whatever means), an Astrogation Skill level of at least 3, (Usually by replacing pilot skills with Astrogation, under Referee Supervision)
As a player you will have to closely consult with the referee to develop and play a Quarlon PC, as they have separate Mishaps, and Events, and a different culture from human norms.

- The Droshok exist, and are allowed.
Physically, the Droshok resemble the Octopus, a creature rumored to be native to Terra, with 5 arms. They are only allowed to use two of these, using the other three to support themselves. They are all from a small, almost unknown to most cluster of worlds that the Droshok call the Droshok Klutakra Commune.

The Droshok are a Hive-Mind race that is interested in maintaining their small cluster of Worlds that they currently control, but there are a few rare specimens of adventurous Droshok that serve in a Cultural Exchange Program with the Republic. Through a vast Racially-Sponsored Social Return Program (Paid for by the Commune), each Droshok is able to afford an annual trip/vacation/exodus to the "Franglik Temple," a place of intellectual exchange, and semi-religious worship. At the Temple, the Droshok are able to exchange their memories and experiences with a huge, organic databank transfer system, through a process that is not well understood. The Droshok do not live in water, however, they inhabit the upper branches of the forests of worlds they control.

Droshok have Weak Strength (-2), Notable Dexterity (+2), Notable Education (+2), Weak Social Standing (-2).
Droshok can join the following careers:
Agent, Entertainer, Drifter, Citizen, Merchant, Nobility, Scholar, Navy, Scouts.
Droshok cannot join the Army, Nobility, Marine, or Rogue career paths.
As a player you will have to closely consult with the referee to develop and play a Quarlon PC, as they have seperate Mishaps, and Events, and a different culture from human norms.

Other races than the above would have to be approved by the Referee, but are possible, and must be balanced.

Please note that humans are the most common, and the default race.

Get with me (Referee) if you want to play a Noble Felis, Quarlon, or Droshok BEFORE trying to roll one up, and especially before creating, or attempting to create your own race.

From a player:
Also I was wondering about the connection rule. Are you allowing that rule to be used?

Yes, with the provision, as in the boxed text on page 8, maximum of two skills, and both targets of the connections must agree, and integrate it into a background that makes sense. Additional rules apply, from page 37, "You cannot bring a skill level above 3 using a connection, and you cannot take the Jack-of-all-Trades skill from a connection."

Additionally, I will be using the Explorer Skill package from page 38, but I will apply Both Connections, and The Bonus Skill Package to the entire group, as a whole, under my supervision, before we start, and both will also apply the rule, cannot exceed skill level 3.

More to come as I get it finished.

Still working on maps.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Another approved PC is in the game!

(Rough concept, still filling in details, on Referee and player side, but looks like we got the captain of the ship.)

Player: pfmgamer
Name: Meredith "Stray" Lamb
Race: Human
Homeworld: high tech, still working it out
Career/Terms of Service: Scout-Exploration-6

STR: 5
DEX: 9
END: 11
INT: 10
EDU: 10
SOC: 6

Skills:
Astrogation 0
Comms 0
Computers 0
Engineer 0
Gun Combat (Laser Pistol) 2
Jack of All Trades 3
Life Sciences 0
Mechanic 0
Medic 1
Pilot Small Craft 1
Pilot Spacecraft 1
Sensors 1
Space Sciences 0
Stealth 1
Survival 1
Vacc Suit 1

Equipment:
Scout Ship received on mustering out
Comm TL8
Commdot
Binoculars
Engineering Toolkit
Breather Mask
Laser Pistol (TL11)

Background:
Stray earned his nickname his first year of service. He was running patrol solo on the fringe when he missed a check-in (roll 10 on the Events table, fail saving throw). When he was eventually recovered his craft was found drifting millions of miles from where he should have been, and he had no memory of how he got there or what had happened (Mishap 5). As there was no damage or loss he was able to continue in service in the Exploration branch of the scout service, advancing to Rank 1 by the end of his first term.

Terms 2, 3 and 4 are also successful for Stray, advancing one rank each term (life events 5, 12 and 8 respectively). I'm thinking one of these events can easily be tied in as a connection to another player.

In his 5th term he again found himself in the far sector of space where he earned his nickname. He had been sent to run maintenance on a sensor drone. It should have been a routine out-and-back mission, but as luck would have it disaster struck (Life Event roll 2) and his ship's engines misfired throwing him past the drone and into the gulf beyond. He managed to relay an SOS transmission back to his base. When he was found days later (Mishap roll 5), his ship was tethered to the drone and both were only slightly drifted from where they should have been.

Stray decided to stick around one more term to try and regain his otherwise good record. He led a mission to an alien world (Life Event 4), and handed in a survey report that was good enough to earn him a final advancement to Rank 6 Senior Scout.

Etarnon
02-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Okay so we got two more players:

My long time friend Mike from Dayton who is a Traveller fan, and Starwolf, who has never played but I have gamed with in cplmac's game.

With that, if you are already in the thread, looks like we are closed to new PCs with a full or nearly full group.

I am taking requests for standby players, if someone drops.

I won't be launching a second campaign, just don't have enough energy since I am running a 3.0 online game sundays (Also closed.)

more details to come over the next few days.

Tentative launch is scheduled for Friday the 13th at 6PM EST, might be a little bit later than that, we have to finalize the time.

Gonna look at a few interfaces, like open RPG, screenmonkey, etc.

will advise.

pfmgamer
02-08-2009, 01:36 PM
More than 10 years ago i ran a game of Chill on a service called WebRPG Online. I don't even know if it's still around but I remember it worked well. iTabletop is also pretty cool looking.

Etarnon
02-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah Web RPG went pay then as far as I know it pretty much died, this was in 2001. I liked their interface, albeit a bit slow.

I left WebRPG to play OpenRPG.

WebRPG was a bit too buggy to pay for. OpenRPG is buggy, but free.

DeadMike
02-09-2009, 09:33 AM
If you are a player for this game I have a question for you. I am playing as well and I need to know what kind of character you are going to have, or what I am going to need. It makes no sense to have three snipers and a pilot as that will leave the group missing vital skills needed for survival. I have one character rolled up, but plan on running two. The first character I have has this skill set:
Athletics 0
Comms 1
Computers 1
Deception 0
Engineer 1
Gambler 1
Gun Combat (Slug pistol) 2
Jack of all Trades 1
Persuade 1
Pilot (spacecraft) 3
Recon 0
Remote Operations 1
Stealth 2
Streetwise 2
Trade 0
Broker 0

I'm not asking anyone to publish all their skills like I have, let alone all details, just what type you are running if you wish so the group as a whole has an idea of what is there and what is needed. Thank you, Mike

pfmgamer
02-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi DeadMike. My character with stats, skills and background are listed a couple posts back. Look for Stray Lamb.

Etarnon
02-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Best practice, I think is as follows:

A ship owner, whether it be trade or scout, or at least someone with shares.

I know we have at least one scout with a detached duty ship.

A pilot / astrogator Or Computer / Astrogator.

An Engineer / Mechanical person, or better yet more than one, or a major skilled one, and an assistant.

Someone who can drive / handle ATVs, and/or has survival skill.

A pilot and / or copilot.

Some science skills people.

a comms / electronics tech

someone with stealth / recon

Medical

Really, a lot of it is gonna be: all skills are needed, just how many can you do with AI aid, or how many can you get by with minimal skills.

And it will also depend on the scenario, too.

I think, play what you like, primarily, and work with each other, as deadmike suggests to have a well rounded / cross trained group.

Soft Serve
02-10-2009, 06:34 AM
I'm excited for this game already. Is it still set to go this weekend, or is it getting pushed back a little further?

And where can I get openRPG...again....

I had it once already but I don't remember where I got it.

Etarnon
02-10-2009, 09:42 AM
we're supposed to start this friday night.

OpenRPG is here:

http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=orpg&m=getorpg

Soft Serve
02-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Ok awesome. I'll get OpenRPG on my new computer, and have it set up by then HOPEFULLY. If not I'll have to play it on this one.

mtyree1972
02-10-2009, 05:31 PM
OK, quick ping to the group :)
I'm still working up ideas, nothing too fancy but I'm a go as well, hopefully post further tonight.

Etarnon
02-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Good deal, nice group forming.

Of course, still working on the maps.

Making good progress.
okay so let's get an idea of what does everyone want to do...then come to a consensus.

I'm prepared for outright scouting / exploration, or trading as travellers / troubleshooters, or exploratory trade, or perhaps what else you guys can come up with.

I don't want to do anything like piracy, nor a straight military game.

Plus the idea that we got one PC with a detached duty scout ship, and at least 2 PCs with shares in a free trader.

pfmgamer
02-11-2009, 05:14 AM
I would like to see a good deal of exploration with a little trading thrown in to pay the bills, but whatever the universe throws at us is fine with me. As the PC with the scout ship I'm curious if any of the other players would be interested in playing out a different dynamic. Rather than be the owner/captain, I wouldn't mind just being owner with another PC taking on the role of captain. Stray could then either be owner with crew responsibilities (agreeing that the captain has the ultimate authority on the running of the ship), or as a kind of director with authority over the business side of ship operations, but not over the crew. Any thoughts on this as a model?

Etarnon
02-11-2009, 05:57 AM
I would like to see a good deal of exploration with a little trading thrown in to pay the bills, but whatever the universe throws at us is fine with me.

That was pretty much my original plan, but I'm open to something else. But ideally, that's what this was designed for. Although it's a scale of Trading vs. Exploration...which can slide / change.

As the PC with the scout ship I'm curious if any of the other players would be interested in playing out a different dynamic. Rather than be the owner/captain, I wouldn't mind just being owner with another PC taking on the role of captain.

Could work. The setting (And I agree) Posits that the Scout ship is actually the property of the Scout Service, on "Detached Duty" subject to recall to active Scout Duty. All Scouts, when they leave the Scout Service, are subject to recall, by Republic Decree, "For the Needs of the Service."

It is also the case that some Scouts, having left the service in an official capacity, also serve in an unofficial capacity, sometimes doing covert missions, paid for by the Scout Service, even so far as hiring mission specialists who are non-scouts to round out the crew.

Technically what you are describing is (I'm not trying to nitpick here, just being clear on the potential setup as to how it would work) is:

As the Detached Duty Scout, you'd be the Captain Aboard. The ship is owned by the service and you are responsible for it, anything it does, anywhere it goes. You could choose yourself (or anyone you prefer, with more skill) as Pilot, who would fly it. But as the Senior Scout, aboard a Detached Duty Scout Ship, you'd hold the top dog position, so to speak.

It is also possible, if we go Say, Free Trader, as a route, for the Scout (or any scout with a ship) to take the scout ship benefit as 1d6 shares in a different vessel.

In this case, for him, it might be that the scouts purchased the vessel, and are leasing it to the group, say as an Independant Courier Vessel, not on the official Scout Ship Roster.

In that case, share holders would be co-owners, and the Captain would be selected by Mutual agreement.

In either case, one thing I want to be wary of is a setup where we have a dictatorial authoritarian leadership style by anyone, such that "You can't do this, what I say, goes, I'm the captain, dammit." Which I have both run into and avoided before.

MikeT knows what I am saying. In many games past, he's played a captain in Traveller, and Star Trek games with a kind of loose leadership style, with broad directives for the lower ranked crew. People worked well within that setup, but he's played Traveller, and Star trek for 15 years at least, and knows the pitfalls.

But other player's we've known, well, there were games in the past where:

- During different star trek games I've played , the Captain's character had to be relieved as a player character, because the player of that position was a martinent, calling for the ship to self destruct when not needed (and was relieved by the crew characters).
- I've had scenarios where the Captain "Ordered" people to stay aboard the ship during planetary missions (Which I jumped in and vetoed immediately, because it cut players out of the scenario).
- Relieved by the GM for such actions as ordering logs of criminal activity by the captain to be rewritten, and ordering the other PCs to silence, upon various penalties...which was resolved in game by a review board, and the captain, again being relieved...based on roleplay, and courtroom drama, at the behest of players.

Not trying to scare anyone, but it's a delicate mix, due to the nature of space travel, and rank / authority, etc. etc. None of us here are in the military services in the game. None of us have signed contracts, writing our lives away. So the person in charge of the crew / Ship / Etc. need to be painfully aware of that, before anything like "Orders" are "Given."

In cases where no one wants to (Or doesn't have experience with) that kind of Job Responsiblity in an RPG, As GM, I've taken the role of either captain, (or admiral aboard or whatever) in the cabin, coming out the the bridge to observe, from time to time.

So it varies.

Stray could then either be [Senior Detached Scout] with crew responsibilities (agreeing that the [Pilot/Captain] has the ultimate authority on the [running/operations/course] of the ship)

That's as clear as I can see to describe potentially how that would work.

Ideally, we all hash this out in this thread, and say who is what / where / when, such that everyone is happy with it. Some people like a leadership role, some people like a subsidiary role, with little responsibilities, some are along fir the ride, and run with whatever.

or as a kind of director with authority over the business side of ship operations, but not over the crew. Any thoughts on this as a model?

The latter would be the case for a merchant ship with an owner, who has hired a Captain/Pilot aboard. They are slightly different because in the case of the Scout, it's governement owned, on loan to the detached duty pilot.

In the case of a Free Trader, it's owned by a bank, typically, with the player characters forming a corporation, or as members of a larger corporation... a few different setups are possible depending on Rolepaly and the needs of the players.

Finally, it is possible to have all of the legalese be in the background, and players all agree, as a team as to where to go and what to do.

This is why i'm looking for team players, primarily, who can get along, as a team, or else "No we need to go there first, no we need to do this first. no you're wrong, no you're an idiot, etc." will lead to arguments, and bogged down scenarios, just as much as "Get bent, I'm the C.O., you don't like it, stroll out the airlock."

I want to avoid both of those extremes, and would like to see and experience a somewhat happier medium / balance.

Soft Serve
02-11-2009, 07:27 AM
I don't think I'll be so super into doing the trading. Everyone else can handle that noise, but I'll be the first volunteer into the 100% unexplored 100% dangerous worlds so long as I'm readily equipped. :biggrin:

pfmgamer
02-11-2009, 07:44 AM
What I wanted to avoid was a militaristic case where, as captain, I would be ordering anyone. I'm not comfortable with that role and I want to enjoy the game, not be uncomfortable.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Do you guys want a dedicated pbp forum for this game? If so, the GM needs to PM Farcaster so he can create the sub-forum.

DeadMike
02-11-2009, 06:44 PM
"Ideally, we all hash this out in this thread, and say who is what / where / when, such that everyone is happy with it. Some people like a leadership role, some people like a subsidiary role, with little responsibilities, some are along fir the ride, and run with whatever."
I am usually very vocal in the direction I think the team should take. That said I always end my statement with a "does everyone agree", or " unless someone has a better idea" or something along those lines. As a group, everyone should have a say and it's always best to get everyones input. There is usually something one person will overlook that someone else will catch.
That said, I have e-mailed Etarnon. If the other players would send me an e-mail with your e-mail address, we can take this discussion off of the boards here and save them some bandwidth as well as get to know eachother a bit before the game starts.
Mike

Etarnon
02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Well, this won't be a play by post game, it's a chat based game.

But I think this format will work for a day or two more as we hash this out.

If we go to private emails, I think it will end up me vs everyone else 5 times, not 6 way discussion.

so that's one vote for less trading, and more deep space exploration, with good gear.

I hear you, pfmgamer. I'm trying to avoid that, also.

Which would make you a good choice for senior scout.

mtyree1972
02-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, I'm pretty flexible, could go whichever direction we want. Trade is cool, but it gets kinda wonky sometimes. So long as we can pay bills, I'm ok, it can be a strain on the whole group fun if all you do is chase cargo $$$ and try to max the best routes. How many players might impact ship choices, as a 100t scout ship pretty much maxes out at 4 crew. Again, I'm open. <shrug>

My character is an older fellow, 42 years old. 3 terms in a Navy fighter system defense squadron and 12 years on a free trader afterward. Very much a jack of all trades type, a reputation as a rough barfly and gambler, been running schemes since he was 14. Lots of skills, ship related, primarily piloting/gunnery/engineering. Decent cash and 9 ship shares. All said, I can switch if need be. I can get more details later.

Sooo, I'm good with exploratory focus with some trade to help pay the way. Think it's a good start.

Soft Serve
02-11-2009, 08:31 PM
....lol my character is just a noob in comparison.

pfmgamer
02-12-2009, 01:37 AM
It sounds to me like we're all leaning more toward a Star Trek exploratory and away from a Firefly cargo haul.

Soft Serve
02-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Well I'm up for anything. This will be my first traveller experience and I've gotten really into it. Downloaded a character generator and a ship creator thing. I don't know how ships work so if someone would PM me a little about it so I understand more would be nice. I don't have a book right yet, but if this game goes well I'll probably go book crazy like I did with D&D.

pfmgamer
02-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Amazon has a "pocket sized" edition of the Mongoose Core Rules at a real reduction of the price.

Etarnon
02-12-2009, 10:24 AM
A few critical issues:

I'm wondering where you got the character creator and ship creator thing. Please PM me a link, thanks.

My house power is out. last night Pittsburgh got hit by huge windstorms averaging 50 mph with up to 92 mph recorded in some areas. About 6 blocks around my house is out of power, some 80,000 people in west PA got no power, it's hit and miss throughout the city.

Right now, I am at a library on their PC, typing this.

So unless the power companies pull of a miracel, and get it together, i'm not gonna be able to run this tomorrow. I'd like to try for next week.

I will try to make it, but I'm asking people not to hold thier breath.

Okay so it looks like we're leaning toward exploration. That's again, kind of how i wanted to go anyhow.

As to ships:

Ships fly through normal space using a slow drive say 1g to 2g, nothing like star trek's impulse power, more like a big rocket on the tail.

In this setting, the tech is pretty much topping out at TL 12, so a ship's trips through jumspace are limited to three jumps distance, i.e. 10 light years max, and that's on the fastest of the fastest military ships, or big liners, with huge drives.

Ships typically fly 100 planetary diameters away from a planet, to get out of it's range of significant gravity, so for earth, that's 8,000 miles X 100 = 800,000 miles = about 4 times the distance of earth to the moon, past the moon. The trip typically takes a day to a few days.

Once a ship is free of a planet's or suns gravity it engages a Jump Drive, kind of like star wars hyperspace, that allows it to fly in a different dimension (Jumpspace) for a week. the week is constant, no matter if you are jumping 1 jump ditance or 2 jump distance. At the end of the week, it emerges from Jumspace, and having used nearly all of it's fuel, has some left for the trip to the destination planet.

Each jump is a parsec ~ 3.26 light years, about the distance to the next star. So a small ship with jump 1, can travel from star to star in an average stellar density area. for more sparse stars such as in a rift area, it'll need jump 2 or jump 3, or some stars, you just can't make it to.

The guy on the drive has to be good, and the guy doing the course has to be good. You do not want to have a misjump, because it will shred the drive or kill the ship and or crew.

There are some routes that have pre-plotted courses, updated for the main trade routes by the scout service every few months.

Places without pre-plotted courses the astrogation guy has to take star sightings, and figure the course, since everything in the galaxy is moving relative to each other.

ships use raw hydrogen for fuel, so fuel can be had anywhere you can find a gas giant planet like jupiter (via orbital scooping) or water, which can be split into hydrogen and oxygen via electrolysis. More delicate drives need more refined fuel, and it helps drives run better anyhow.

So ships need to travel from port to port, or in as they say wilderness refueling, gas giant in system to jumping to another system with a gas giant.

Systems that have no gas giants, no ice belts, and no water on any planets in system, the only way to go there is to have large fuel carriers carry hydrogen there as a refueling point, and set up a station or something. But systems totally bare like that are rare.

But typically scout are not dealing with nice comfy ports. Trips take planning. if you get strandfed, it might be months to years for a rescue, because there is no hyper radio or anything. All comms travel at the speed of light so if you get to a system and get stuck, even 1 jump away, it's 3 years for a message to get to the next star, unless you get lucky, and someone comes looking for you. this is why ships file flight plans etc.

Scout ships going out typically have an itinerary, i.e. we will be here , then here then here.. weeks later you miss your check-in, they'll come looking for you.

But scout life is dangerous, it's the toughest service there is for survival rolls.

Okay so that's off the top of my head. assuming we do go scout ship we could do a slightly larger ship than say a scout courier type S, maybe some kind of scouting frigate.

There is a ship called a donosev, it's a scout / exploratory survey ship, crew of about 10 people. I've used those before.

So, sorry about the power deal. I'll try to make it tomorrow night, but it doesn't look promising. If not then next week.

I did also order wall cable to fix this wireless connection problem, so that should be here soon, also.

In the interim, keep tossing ideas at each other.

James AKA Etarnon

pfmgamer
02-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Bummer about the power outage. Here in Ohio we got some heavy winds but the power's still on in my area. Even if we don't get to start tomorrow have you decided on a platform yet?

starwolf013
02-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Well the good news is that Commander McClaren has some strong navigational abilities, some ship shares and a ship boat thanks to some commendable service in the Navy.

I've never played before, but I am confident that McClaren could successfully guide us in the right direction and make some repairs as need be.

Etarnon
02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
hi, back at the library again.

Well, if I can manage a stable connection, I'd like to use openRPG, I still need to look at screenmonkey and such.

But I know how openRPG works.

I'll see if they got this fixed by tomorrow, have a good night, gents.

Soft Serve
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
lol you could take a drive to Latrobe. We still got full power here...

DeadMike
02-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Trade or explore? Myself, I do not play RPG's for accountant fun. I have enough financial stress issues in real life to actually want to add it to my game time. As you might have guessed, I am leaning towards exploring unless we can figure a way to own the ship outright from the start. I will though go along with a majority decision to do trade though without any whining or anything if that's the way the group would like to go with this. MIke

Soft Serve
02-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Can we trade illegally? Like smuggling.

Thats bound to have some money flow, and be decently exciting trying not to get caught... If not then my vote is for exploration of insanely-overpopulated-with-nasties planets.

can we start with a grant or something like Lewis and Clark? They got handed a bunch of money and told to exploriate the west so if we just take orders from someone then they can pay us. But I guess thats mercenary work...Anybody up for mercenary work?

I usually don't say "nasties" but it was the only word I could think of to give that an abbreviation of "iOwn" :D

pfmgamer
02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Maybe we could become a roving band of CPAs and notary publics?
Are we on for tonight?

DeadMike
02-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I see nothing in here or in my e-mail from James, so I am going to assume that the power is still down for him and our first game will be next week. :confused:

Does anyone who is playing want to do trading?? I figure if no one says yes, that will decide it.:biggrin:

You all have a great night.
Mike

Soft Serve
02-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm following the group for a bit before I start pitching any long term ideas. It'll be my first time playing Traveller so I'd like to pick up on it before I start spraying bad ideas. :D

pfmgamer
02-14-2009, 01:20 PM
It's been a long time for me since I've played anything, so I guess I don't have a real strong issue with anything we want to pursue as a group. The important thing to me is to get back into gaming.

DeadMike
02-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Sounds like we will be exploring then huh?? :-)

Etarnon
02-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Okay, I got my internet back, woot.

Sorry I missed the scheduled start. We'll go for this friday.

I went to a local store, I picked up the Belter's book: Beltstrike, and I put Scouts (Mongoose says it's due for release this month) on order.

Okay soft serve, your PC only has two terms, 8 yrs of service as a Salvage Crew Drifter. If you are good with that, it's fine, if you want more, let me know.

I've been asked a few times, re: Starting money. The book suggests
after you roll on the cash table, spend up to 2,000 credits on gear, the rest will have to be gained in game. I'm not following that.

Here's how I'm handling money:

p. 86 Living expenses. If you all stay aboard a ship, this will be taken care of. For extended stays, on a planet, or orbital dock / spaceport / whatever, you will be assigned a minimum standard of living, by Social level, from the chart on page 87.

Per the rules a PC that doesn't pay the required social level costs for standard of living risks embarrasment, and losing his / her social standing.

I would like to use the SHIP's LOCKER Rule, grey box, page 110

I.e. there are common things like Vacuum suits, shotguns, pistols, ammunition, flak jackets, etc, compasses, survival gear al in the ship's locker, of whatever vessel we go for. This is so you as a player do not have to keep track of lists of this crap. if people want to detail this out, we can, I'll give a suggestion, and then if we want more for it, okay, we'll go that route. Mostly, I think we'll be looking at tricked out weapons with special sights and such, or smartguns as carried gear, that the ship's locker will not have.

So, buy extra special gear, if you like, restrictions follow.

Gear: Max Tech level for any gear you are gonna buy is gonna be TL 12.

Within the TL restriction, of TL 12 or less, the following Armor is not available, at game start:
Combat Armor, of all tech levels.
Battle Dress, of all Tech levels.

That leaves Jack, mesh, cloth, flak, vacc suit, hostile environ suits, ablat, and reflec, as armor. Pay appropriate costs.

OPTIONS:
TL 12 or less.
NO Grav Assist, or visilight.

AUGMENTS:
If you go with these, be really careful, to follow the tech restrictions, vs Medical treatments. If you decide to go cybered up, and you get treated on a low tech world, and it kills you, well, this was your last warning.

Note: Physical Aumentation doesn't stack. If you want the +1, it's half a mil. If you want the +2, it's a mil. +3 exceeds available tech.
Likely these will be acquired via adventures to high tech worlds.

Only TL 12 int augments are avaialable.

Skill chipping (TL 12 Skill Augments are available. cost 50k, can only be added to level-0, doesn't stack, and only the one skill, per the rules on page. 89.

Wafer jacks are available.

Enhanced vision is not.

COMMS: All exist, per book cost.

COMPUTERS: No prototech, unless found in game.
No data display recorders, unless found in game.

Specialized computers are available.
Since this is TL 12, Intelligent interface, Expert Systems, Agent Systems, and Intellect programs, and 'warez are available, up to TL 12. Pay accordingly.

DRUGS: All except anagathics are available. Please note that on many worlds a lot of drugs are highly restricted, or illegal. I'm assuming these are stored on whatever ship we finally settle on. If your PC is gonna use these beware of the physiological penalties, they will be implemented to full effect. Carrying some of these onto restricted worlds.. this was your last warning.

Limb Replacements: Available, per page 94, right side column.

ROBOTS:
Combat Drones (Illegal), and Servitors (Lack of tech) are not available.

No robots can have integral weapons. If your PCs do this in game later, and get caught, your PC will regret it.

SENSORS:
No Densitometers, Bioscanners, nor NAS, due to lack of tech.

SURVIVAL GEAR: No Self-Sealing structures, due to lack of tech.

TOOLKITS: Available, and required for those skills, page 97. I'm assuming mechanical and engineerig kits are in the ship's locker / Engine room for one Engineering-skilled PC. Science and forensics kits are not. If you for some reason want a spare kit, buy one.

WEAPONS: PLEASE NOTE: Beware when carrying weapons on civilized planets. Traveller is not Star Wars, and on many worlds, carrying weapons is a serious offense, on moderate to high level worlds. That being said, on low law level worlds, there are places worse than the Cantina from Star Wars. Use your best judgement, judge from the best law info available, and make your decisions for your PC. Any PC incarcerated for any of this weapon charges stuff (or more serious crimes, like murder) will be out of the campaign, for the duration of their prison stay. Often times, Traveller games become outlaws on the run from the Law. I don't want to go there, as a DM.

Additionally, for you new guys, BE ADVISED. Combat in Traveller is Not D&D. Combat is a real quick route to Rolling up a new PC to replace a dead one. Think real world damage here. you only get about 21 hit points on average. Two bullets, and your PC is typically dead. So before you draw a pistol in what was seconds ago a fistfight / brawl, be prepared for the consequences, death, legal case, fugitive status, etc.

That being said, this area is a frontier. It is recommended to have a variety of weapons, for use on multiple law level restrictions by worlds, (in cases where travelling armed is even legal.)
Most of the time, weapons will be stored in the ship's weapons locker, which will have a variety of common weapons, such as survival knives, shotguns, pistols, etc.

I don't want to see any PVP i.e. PC on PC combat. This group is a team.

Not Available:
-TL 13 Gauss Pistols
-TL 16 Plasma Rifles

No Man-portable Artillery, or Explosives are available at game start.

VEHICLES: All except G/Carrier exist, and are available.

Within those restrictions, spend what you like for a customized, personal weapon, etc., stuff you are pretty sure won't be in the ship's locker. Be advised if you sink all your money into stuff like spiffy high tech guns and super-duper laser sights, and AI cybercomps such, and it is on the ship, and it so happens due to playing out scenarios that the ship is wrecked in game, etc. all of that will be lost, unless somehow salvaged.

I'm not looking to screw people that buy gear, just be aware, that if ship combat happens, major portions of any ship you are on will be hulled, and the ship possibly lost, and Multiple PC's dead from incoming laser or missile fire. Play accordingly.
For Ships:

EXPLORATION:
The first option I'm looking at the Type S Scout / Courier, Jump-2, normally carries a crew of up to 4, but can fit up to 8 crew if each man shares a stateroom.

If we go this route, life support costs will be CR 2,000 per party member aboard, per month (3,000, for staterooms with Double Occupancy.) Hauling cargo in these is not a pretty economic picture, since it carries only 8 tons of cargo. They are also small, and break easily when hit by missiles. 4 pts of crystaliron armor, then 2 hull, and then 2 structure, then *BLAM*

For Trading.. which it seems we won't be focusing on, at this point, all that much:

A FAR TRADER Only has Jump-1, which will severely limit Travel, since out her on the rim, a lot of jumps are gonna be Jump-2. But it has 10 Staterooms, more than enough for crew, and potential passengers. and they got 4 pts of crystaliron armor, and 4 hull, and 4 structure...but aren't really built for fighting, with only civilian sensors.

MTyree and I (Because we both have refereed Traveller) have discussed options of making this a longer jump vessel, or giving the ship a larger fuel tank, cutting into cargo, so that it could do two jumps. But overall, it seems like we are moving away from this, as far as that goes, for the time being. Still kind of stuck on what to do about ship's shares, if we don't go this route.

Option 3: Funny enough, a LAB SHIP 400 tons, has jump-2, and 20 staterooms, and has 100 spare tons, mostly set up for things like sciences research labs, and whatnot.

Unless I custom Desgin a ship, or we go for an actual DONOSEV Class Surveyor / Explorer, that's what I see.

Other things:
For travel to civilized / settled worlds, we could go with Paying passage, for the trip, with ships available up to Jump-3, but it gets expensive really fast.

SPACE COMBAT: As of now, I am looking at the rules on page 151. The following will aplly to both friendly and enemy ships in combat. Other than the crew hits as listed, any area of a ship that takes damage sufficient to destroy it...Turrets, J-Drive, M-Drive, Power Plant, Bridge, etc.

i.e. Third Turret Hit "The Turret and all weapons in it are destroyed" will also take a crew hit per the chart on page 151, for any PC/NPC in that specific area in combat (In this case the turret gunner).

So, if your PC is the guy in the turret, for example, and the turret takes two hits and is disabled, you decide if you want your PC to hang out there and attempt a fix (If you have the skills), thus risking the third hit. If it does take a third hit to the turret and the turret is scraped from the hull, roll on the crew hit chart.

Also, crew hits (EXCEPT INternal Damage: Crew) are to specific areas. I.e. a crew hit to the bridge doesn't affect the turret from the same hit. likewise a guy in the hold is only getting a crew hit on the third hold hit.

But, once the hull is gone, and it's into structure, the thing has so many holes and flying debris, etc, that anyone anywhere might take a hit randomly.

That's off the top of my head.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your characters, and getting some concensus on what we are going to be doing, ship wise.

DeadMike
02-17-2009, 01:44 PM
After giving it some thought, I think that maybe the best route would be to explore and maybe throw in some trading along the way. Keep our options open ya know. What do you think??

Question for you James. The Mercenary, Traders and Gunboats, 760 Patrons and high guard can be used as well right?? Same restrictions apply to the other books as well?
Mike

Soft Serve
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
After giving it some thought, I think that maybe the best route would be to explore and maybe throw in some trading along the way. Keep our options open ya know. What do you think??

Question for you James. The Mercenary, Traders and Gunboats, 760 Patrons and high guard can be used as well right?? Same restrictions apply to the other books as well?
Mike

I second that motion...since in retrospect I decided diving into combat and unexplored areas might be a bad idea immediately after begining the game.

Etarnon
02-17-2009, 05:39 PM
The Mercenary, Traders and Gunboats, 760 Patrons and high guard can be used as well right??

Not sure what you mean.

If you mean TL 12, that's correct.

All books in print for Mongoose are usable. I intend to use Scouts, too. I have a copy on order.

Okay so, since people have returned to the thread, let's get an idea here...

Scout ship? Survey Ship? Free Trader?

Everyone is at the port, just mustered out, talking in the bar?

On the first mission, in media res?

Anyone care?

If not, I'll get started and just surprise everyone.

pfmgamer
02-18-2009, 03:43 AM
Since none of us seem overly enthusiastic about getting ito a trading game it doesn't make a lot of sense to start the game in debt. Unless an employer is going to supply the ship or hold the rest of the shares, the scout ship looks like the best economic choice.

Has Guinness survived into the stars?

Etarnon
02-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Well, you could start the game in debt, and work it off via payments.

Exploration will pay, just not as well as smart efficient trading.

Okay so i'll get some deck plans drawn up, and toss some choices out there for ships suitable for exploration.

Scout / Courier Type S will be on the list, for certain.

Soft Serve
02-18-2009, 11:04 AM
so just to be clear we're starting this friday? As in two days from now, at what time?

DeadMike
02-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I have a question Mr GM. Do free trader count equally for a Far Trader or would the ship shares for a far trader count as normal ship shares?? While a far trader has one less thrust point, it does have two jump like a scout ship. The cost is a bit more, but if the shares for free trader count one for one and other players have at least an equal amount of free trader shares, I think we should be ok. If available I would love to see the map of the sector we are in as well as surrounding sectors, if you can e-mail it. Also, if we get a mission/ patron to have us open and/or find new trade routes the ship could be even cheaper. I for one would prefer to have the ship modified to fit the mission though. IE remove some staterooms and put in some defensive/ offensive weapons to protect the ship. Hopefully someone has some gunnery skills. That would allow us to explore as well as trade, sending data back to our patron with trade information. Just a suggestion. Any other questions I would have would hinge on the answers of these questions, so I will check back later. Mike

Etarnon
02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
so just to be clear we're starting this friday? As in two days from now, at what time? This friday at 6 PM EST 20 Feb, 2009 is the scheduled Start. MTyree says he might not be able to make it till around 7ish.

Do free trader [shares] count equally for a Far Trader or would the ship shares for a far trader count as normal ship shares?? No, because a far trader is more expensive. I'd take your free trader shares, and work it as a % of far trader shares based on cost.

If available I would love to see the map of the sector we are in as well as surrounding sectors, if you can e-mail it. I'm working on this. Late last night I paid for a geocities / yahoo! pay site for three months, plus domain, so we can have a website for this Traveller stuff and my 3.0 D&D stuff, basically split into two subsites.

There was a problem in the setup so I emailed yahoo! customer service, last night, so no answer yet.

Here is an overview map of the Sector Names in Republic Space, in relation to each other, hosted on photobucket.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm79/Etarnon/Republic_Space_Map_Sectors.jpg?t=1234999342

Here is a map of the Subsector Names of the Far Reaches Sector, in relation to each other, hosted on photobucket.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm79/Etarnon/Far_Reaches_Sector_Named_Subsectors.jpg

Each of the stars in the above pic is a location. Size values of stars on the above map are for flavor only at this point, and have no other relevance.

I have nearly finished a stylized graphical map of the Zanbar Drift Subsector. That should be done in a few hours.

I will also do a data map (The classic style maps) before friday.

I plan to have detailed maps ready before the first session, working on them over the next two nights.

Hopefully, my yahoo! hosting problem will be solved by then.

Also, if we get a mission/ patron to have us open and/or find new trade routes the ship could be even cheaper.Yeah, it's a dance around the setup of the ship, who owns it, etc. How much %age they get, what the crew gets.

Or the ship is bank owned, and the PCs negotiate with rates with a company. The Explorers will pay for survey data, even just light stellar and gas giant plot data, to keep the jump lanes open, on a regular schedule.

Such work into unexplored systems is a bit dangerous though, because you really don't have exact coordinates, so the jump is a bit tougher.

I for one would prefer to have the ship modified to fit the mission though. Yes, that is possible, once we define the mission, and define what ship, and who is serving in what positions upon it, IF it is not a standard scout ship.

You could buy a mining ship, Seeker class, which is a decommissioned scout ship no longer on active, or detached duty status, then do whatewver you want with it.

If you do actively use a detached duty ship, it won't be able to be modified other than simple things like a weapons turret...since it's gov't property.

Hopefully someone has some gunnery skills. Pretty sure Mtyree's PC has gunnery, from the Navy.

All of these are good ideas.

I'm going to ping off yahoo! again, then get back to work on the map.
UPDATE: Yahoo says it will take probably till saturday to get the website going. So i'll try to host via photobucket, and we'll go that way.

Working on the map some more now.
Here's the stylized Map of the Zanbar Drift Subsector, Subsector L of the Far Reaches Sector.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm79/Etarnon/Zanbardrift.jpg

Lots of work went into that. Let's try to keep from torching them, once the game starts, eh?

Now working on the Stylized Map of Subsector K, Freeport Sector.

Soft Serve
02-20-2009, 11:36 AM
ok so Yahoo says no until Saturday, but you say we're playing later today...I'll just be online all day that way I'm never wrong...lol

Etarnon
02-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Yahoo not until saturday is for a website.

I've been using photobucket in the interim.

pfmgamer
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Are we playing tonight? Haven't seen any notice for a web server location on OpenRPG or anything.

Etarnon
02-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm in the pen and paper games chat room, as of 6 PM EST friday, 20 Feb 2009.

Soft Serve
02-21-2009, 11:45 AM
ok so if we're playing again next friday can someone PM me what happened in the game?

And here is what I've got for my updated character so far, Etarnon if you have something different yours might be right but I'm pretty sure all I got was Medic and Gunnery skills.

STR 9
DEX A
END 7
INT 6
EDU 6
SOC 8

Animals -1
Athletics-0
Carousing -1
Gun Combat-1
Gunnery-0
Medic-3
Melee(unarmed)-0
Recon-0
Stealth-0
Streetwise-0
Survival-1
Trade-0

DeadMike
02-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Shouldn't it read:

STR 9
DEX A
END 7
INT 6
EDU 6
SOC 8

Animals -1
Athletics-0
Carousing -1
Gun Combat-1
Gunnery-1
Medic-3
Melee(unarmed)-0
Recon-0
Stealth-0
Streetwise-0
Survival-1
Trade-0
???

Etarnon
02-22-2009, 10:56 AM
This is what I have. It's still not finished. Some Skills with a level need a Specialty as listed below, and have not yet been selected.

Skills listed at 0 do not take a specialty...all subskills are thus at 0 for that overall skill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

STR 9
DEX A
END 7
INT 6
EDU 6
SOC 8

Animals (Pick: Riding / Veterinary / Training / Farming)-1
Athletics-0
Carouse-1
Gunner (Turrets)-1
Gun Combat (Pick: Slug Rifle / Slug Pistol / Shotgun / Energy Rifle / Energy Pistol)-1
Medic-3
Melee-0
Recon-1
Stealth-0
Streetwise-0
Survival-1
Trade-0

Mustered out of Drifter Career after 1 Term.
CR 4,000

Homeworld: Wieq A766585-9
Subsector Coordinates: L0307 Zanbar Drift
Sector Coordinates: 2727 Far Reaches

Wieq (Wee-'ek) is a minor trade hub in the Zanbar Drift subsector of the Far Reaches Sector, that doubles as an agricultural world that exports exotic textiles (based on autumn seasonal harvesting of the Wieq Insect) and a pleasure spot for travelling space crews, and tourists. A small Class A spaceport has an active starship design industry, and the adjacent shipyard supports regular construction of yacht-sized ships, with occasional larger projects under special contract.

The world has been populated for almost 60 years, and the northern continent of Jodash is subject to harsh weather conditions, including Flash Freezing, Flash Floods, Plains Fires, etc.

The local culture is quite liberal, and openly welcomes changes and offworld Travellers and influences.

Visitors are required to register their business, and length of stay, but once upon the world, are free to travel to unrestricted sites.

The moonlets of Wieq, and asteroid belts in the inner and outer system are resource rich, and support multiple corporations that claim extra-territoriality from mainworld law, and are under self (usually corporate) rule.

Wieq supports a Mainworld downport, and Orbital Port along with multiple spaceports throughout the system for ore deliveries.

Notable Corporations present in the system:
Alvarado Research Logistics
BeyeoSystems, Inc.
Burns Recreation
Engineered Chemical
Garnet Stardrive
Gaseous Research
GeneTech
Genetibank
Genetics Solutions
Horizon Belters
Integrated Recreations
Irridium Ores
Irridium Science Labs
Kerr Power Plants
Lee Entertainment Publishing
Lenser Memory Clothing
Locus Mining, Inc
Marquez International Apparel
Mercantile Digital
Mutual Mining Logistics
North Wieq Pharmecuticals
Paragon Extraction
Power Entertainment
Salazar Minerals
TransStellar, LLC
TransStellar Salvage, LLC

Soft Serve
02-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Etarnon's is right I think. I didn't know Gunnery broke off into different subcategorys and I thought that when you got a rank in a skill it was 0 instead of 1, cause I only rememberd getting one rank in Gunnery from contacts.

Etarnon
02-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Actually, turrets could be larger capital ship weapons or screens, etc but since we are not likely gonna run into those, turrets seemed appropriate, since the likelihood is 100% you guys will use that.

so...

Animals (Pick: Riding / Veterinary / Training / Farming)-1
Gun Combat (Pick: Slug Rifle / Slug Pistol / Shotgun / Energy Rifle / Energy Pistol)-1

...your move, Soft.

Soft Serve
02-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Veterinary, and Energy Rifles.

I think Energy sounds expensive but it's probably more efficient then Slugs.

DeadMike
02-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Cost isn't too bad for either. The only real problem I see is that on higher law level planets, you might want energy because you can still use stunners as apposed to slug pistols. Though what you really want to do is read up on cost and damage and such. Maybe stop by a game shop and pick up a copy of the core book, or at least read the equipment section. Mike

Soft Serve
02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah but there are no local game shops here. Even in the local amll there isn't a book shop that sells anything Traveller Related. They sell D&D novels, but not even the core books!

Fersboo
02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah but there are no local game shops here. Even in the local amll there isn't a book shop that sells anything Traveller Related. They sell D&D novels, but not even the core books!

I've purchased all my Traveller stuff via Drivethru RPG (.pdf) or from FFE (cd-rom). The only draw back is if you like to read paper as opposed to viewing it on screen, otherwise you need a fast printer, paper and binding materials.

Soft Serve
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
So we're playing tonight?

Etarnon
03-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Current Active Player List.

Player PC Age Terms
mtyree1972 Rhys Wolcott 42 6 Terms (3 Navy/3 Merchant)
Soft Serve Ether Drake 22 1 Term (1 Drifter (Scavenger))
pfmgamer Meredith "Stray" Lamb 42 6 Terms (6 Scouts (Explorer))
starwolf013 CDR Anneke McClaren 42 6 Terms (6 Navy)
DeadMike Eftear 38 5 Terms (2 Rogue (Thief)/3 Merchant (Free Trader))
xxpeggyxsuexx Sean Peake 23 1.25 Terms (1.25 Navy)
Lucian-Sunaka Kasan Allen 30 3 Terms (1 Agent(Intel)/2 Rogue(Thief))--- Merged from Double Post ---
Kasan Allen

Agent (Intelligence) 1 Term
Rogue (Thief) 2 Terms

Age 30

STR 7
DEX B
END 9
INT B
EDU 9
SOC 7

Animals-0
Athletics (co-ordination ) -2
Carouse-0
Computer-1
Deception-3
Engineering-0
Gun Combat (Energy Pistol)-2
Investigate-1
Recon-0
Stealth-3
Streetwise-1

Gear:
Scientific Equipment - Electronics Kit.
Armor

Ally - Gov't Agent.
Enemy - Learned secrets and enemy wants him dead.

Grew up on a Rich Garden world near the core.
His father was a Republic Star Marine
His mother was a Scout Explorer

Homeworld: Belker

Planet Stats:
PSAHPGL-T
A867835-B Ga, Ri

~500,000,000 Population.

Govt:
Queen with power, but counter-balanced by an equally powerful Parliament

5414 - Born

Etarnon
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
NOTE TO ALL PLAYERS:

I WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO REF ON FRIDAY, 13th of MARCH.

NO game that friday.

I have changed the schedule on the meetup site to reflect that.

other friday games not affected. I put this in quotes for emphasis.

Soft Serve
03-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Good news everyone, I got OpenRPG working a few moments ago! It only took me 3 hours of having no clue what to do and probably damaging this computer forever but I got it!

(not really about the damage thing. But still if I had this isn't even mine so...)

Etarnon
03-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Good deal, let me know when the book arrives.

xxpeggysuexx won't be joining till the 20th.

Soft Serve
03-05-2009, 04:42 PM
sorry I got the book too. lol.

I actually got it tuesday I just thought that I told you. My bad. :D

Looking forward to...1 week six days rfom now. lol.

Etarnon
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
what's 1 week six days from now?

When Sean Peake comes aboard?

We're playing friday...ie. tomorrow.

Lucian-Sunaka
03-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Btw, I should have asked this sooner, but... exactly what time do we start?

Etarnon
03-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Start time is at or around 6 PM friday nights. Goes till 11 PM, or midnight if people are having fun. Not usually past there.

DeadMike
03-07-2009, 04:50 PM
start time is at or around 6 pm friday nights. Goes till 11 pm, or midnight if people are having fun. Not usually past there.

6 pm est

Etarnon
03-19-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm working on deckplans for the SS Lorain. It's non standard alien construction, but the equivalent tonnage, etc is the same. Hopefully, I'll have something to show everyone by tomorrow.

Aeval wants to continue to play her (N)PC.

See you all friday at 6 PM EST.

Lucian-Sunaka
03-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Word of warning guys, I'll be late tomorrow. I have an appointment at 2:30 that I have to be at, so at the earliest I'll be home at 3:30 (aka 6:30 Eastern Time), but it very well may be later. You can be sure I'll be there as early as I can though.

Soft Serve
03-20-2009, 01:48 AM
I might be late too.

Danielle might make me do something or other with her, and I might help get ready for the Penguins game an hour and a half past our game start.

Go Pens!

Etarnon
03-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Okay well, I've got a bad cold too.

We can start at 8 PM EST, or skip a week. Up to you guys.

Sound off here.

DeadMike
03-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I may not be here tonight. I have had a bad flu for two days now. Still have a fever and am throwing up. I understand playing with out me though, so continue on. Mike

Etarnon
03-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Good luck, man. I'll work this week on recapping events up to the present time from logs. I'm gonna be building a website.

Soft Serve
03-21-2009, 05:21 PM
www.webs.com (http://www.webs.com)

I've always used webs for all my sites. They're easy and capable and junk, but if you want to go all HTML and such thats your deal.

mtyree1972
03-21-2009, 08:02 PM
OK, as it stands so far, a player's recap for what is going on.
We are currently at the Wieq downside port, scheduled to liftoff for Zanbar in 5-6 days.
We have scheduled 3 passengers for middle passage and 6 for low passage. After alloting for passenger luggage, we have loaded 58 tons of freight scheduled for Zanbar delivery.
Estimate time to complete tankage modification around 3-4 days, 5 at most. This mod allows us to extend fuel usage 2 weeks, allowing us more flexibility for exploratory survey ops.
Crew manifest is: Anneke McClaren, Eftear, Rhys Wolcott, Ether Drake, Meredith Lamb, Kasan Allen. Sean Peake is appointed to join crew upon return to Zanbar.
Weiq apparently has some sort of internal insurgency occuring, Kasan has likely encountered an organized op by outside corporate forces with an interest in the fighting. (My guess, and only my opinion, they're wanting to keep the conflict rolling to supply arms, probably to both sides) Crew has also been invited to join the Carlisle noble family for a dinner, probably the next part of the campaign.
Proposed plan of operation is as follows: Jump route is Zanbar-Stalar-Taslon-Ackten-Paon. Surveys planned for Taslon & Paon, looking towards laying claim and establishing a refueling point/E-grade port facility in the Paon system.

So, there you have it, as I recall. I'm sure Etarnon will have more detail later.

Soft Serve
03-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Also we don't have any medicinal drugs. We've got enough to sustain someone if we do take on an injury. (cryoberth) combat drugs, FAST and SLOW drugs, and just about anything else along those lines we're out.

Plus I gotta ask/suggest (asking Et if it'll work, and suggesting this to the group if it would) we find the insurgent force and we buy those drugs from them (since they're illegal on Wieq) and then we try to get to the PWB and get better weapons or weapons training. And then if there is any further obvious ways of playing the war to our advantage, then we go for it.

Also I just thought that maybe it might be better to do those two things the other way around....the PWB might be watching the Insurgency. Plus if we buy the drugs and then run to the PWB they might catch us...

So yeah there's that for you. I know that those drugs aren't that important but it can't hurt to have them, plus you know if we pass up the chance to grab it ET will throw some situation at us where we need it...

ALSO ahead of time I am probably going to miss next friday. It's my last day in town and if I can I'm going to avoid being on the computer for all of it.

Etarnon
03-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Well, I'm not the type that throws in extra complications just because you didn't prepare.

The situation is as it is, basedon your choices and the choices of the NPCs.

I'll need a day or two to recover from game day.

Side note, I got Traveller 5 playtest material in the mail from Marc Miller, and I think I'm gonna be on the tail end of the post release official playtest.

So I might get some ideas from T5, for the mongoose game.

DeadMike
03-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Also we don't have any medicinal drugs. We've got enough to sustain someone if we do take on an injury. (cryoberth) combat drugs, FAST and SLOW drugs, and just about anything else along those lines we're out.

Plus I gotta ask/suggest (asking Et if it'll work, and suggesting this to the group if it would) we find the insurgent force and we buy those drugs from them (since they're illegal on Wieq) and then we try to get to the PWB and get better weapons or weapons training. And then if there is any further obvious ways of playing the war to our advantage, then we go for it.

Also I just thought that maybe it might be better to do those two things the other way around....the PWB might be watching the Insurgency. Plus if we buy the drugs and then run to the PWB they might catch us...

So yeah there's that for you. I know that those drugs aren't that important but it can't hurt to have them, plus you know if we pass up the chance to grab it ET will throw some situation at us where we need it...

ALSO ahead of time I am probably going to miss next friday. It's my last day in town and if I can I'm going to avoid being on the computer for all of it.

How much drugs are you talking about? Right now, I don't feel there is a heavy need for them. Especially considering their cost and our accounts. If we hit a big score and have extra cash, that's one thing. Right now though we are pooling every ones cash just to try and fill the hold with cargo... and not very successfully either. jumping with part of the hold empty is far worse than not having any of the meds you are referring to as far as I am concerned. If you all feel otherwise though, I will go with majority rule. Though if you feel you would rather have the meds than the hold filled.... well then:laugh:
Mike

Etarnon
03-22-2009, 10:49 AM
I'll be coming up with a better list of drugs, equipment and gear this week.

I had a look at T5 last night. It's ... a lot of depth. I'm liking it.

Soft Serve
03-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm just saying that acquiring them should be up on our to-do list. Not that it's desperate but it's better safe then sorry.

Also I kinda dropped the ball with that lift loading guy on the whole "our ship doesn't even have guns" comment, but I thought he was asking to join as security...So my bad if that information gets sold and eventually kills us all.

:o

Etarnon
03-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Okay two guys showed, one called off. One of the guys that showed had a bad connection.

We waited 40 minutes, then with two players plus ref felt there weren't enough players, called it off for this week.

See you all next week Friday 3 April, 2009 @ 6 PM EST.

Lucian-Sunaka
03-27-2009, 05:48 PM
UGH I JUST MISSED IT!!! Sorry guys, I guess I didn't make it clear last time that the whole friday appointment is a weekly issue (that I'm currently attempting to resolve and change to a different time.)

On to other news, I've got the book!!! (I read it while waiting for my appointment, up to page 34 so far)

DeadMike
03-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I just got on line. We got hit by a huge lightening and thunder storm. Massive down pour! I'm not sure what caused it, but my power was out until just now. I love South West Louisiana, but it does have some draw backs. Sorry guys, out of my hands. Mike

Etarnon
03-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Right on. We'll just pick it up next week.

Soft Serve
03-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Cool I didn't miss anything. :)

Lucian-Sunaka
04-03-2009, 05:59 PM
And again, no Traveller game :(

Etarnon
04-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Mtyree, and PudgySmurf and I were here at 6 PM, we waited 45 minutes, No one else was here, then pudgy departed.

A few others showed up over the next few hours.

Thus we will start at 7 PM from here on out.

We're going to redesign the ship from merchant to exploration.

We'll also move away from the sandbox style to a more DM Plot centered style.

I'm giving the game two weeks, effective immediately. If people can't show up over the next two weeks, I'll cancel it, because I don't need to be spending time on maps and such, and all the rest to have my efforts wasted, and no game happen.

People who are regular no shows with no notice will have their PC converted to an NPC. Two weeks skipping, they're out of the game, and their character will be removed from the campaign, replaced by a campaign NPC.

I have other players who want to play, but I've held off because we still have players in those slots, filling up the game.

Anyone who doesn't like the above changes is free to resign, PM me or post "I resign" here.

See you all next friday, 7 PM EST.

DeadMike
04-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Sorry. I planned on being here. I slept for 36 hours and missed it. I thought today was friday when I logged in. Mike

Lucian-Sunaka
04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Etarnon told me I could throw this up for you guys. Just a note he hasn't finished it yet, but hey, it's started, so it's useful.

http://www.orionarm5440.com/

Soft Serve
04-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Had to go try to take my driving permit test Friday. I thought I was going to the mall and would be able to come back and get on but NO that's not cool enough.

And on top of that the licence branch was closed when we got there cause it was good friggin' friday. :mad:

Sorry again. I don't like missing Traveller I really don't but ever since I signed up friday has become my most in-person active day...

Etarnon told me I could throw this up for you guys. Just a note he hasn't finished it yet, but hey, it's started, so it's useful.

http://www.orionarm5440.com/

Awesome good work with that ET. Are you going to throw up a page of peoples characters too?

And if we're going this far why don't we have a social group yet?

DeadMike
04-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Awesome good work with that ET. Are you going to throw up a page of peoples characters too?

And if we're going this far why don't we have a social group yet?

Hmmm.... actually a chat room would be very nice! We could play there instead of here.

Lucian-Sunaka
04-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Nice, but I don't think it's a huge issue presently. At some point it might get set up, but for now I imagine this is where we play lol.

Etarnon
04-13-2009, 03:01 AM
Social group was started months ago.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php?groupid=57

That group has been up since late december, when I started recruiting for this.

I have been waiting on seeing what players we have, that are stable, recurring players, interested in playing, before taking the steps and time to put up pages for the characters.

Lucian-Sunaka
04-13-2009, 10:55 AM
can I get a group invite ET? I don't believe I've been given one yet. (or if there's an option for joining without an invite this will be edited shortly lol)
Oooo, now I know why I didn't join it before, it says Pittsburgh group, through me off lol. I'll go ahead and join anyway.

Soft Serve
04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
can I get a group invite ET? I don't believe I've been given one yet. (or if there's an option for joining without an invite this will be edited shortly lol)
Oooo, now I know why I didn't join it before, it says Pittsburgh group, through me off lol. I'll go ahead and join anyway.

Nevermind that your in Washington. lol

DeadMike
04-17-2009, 04:21 PM
We are having severe weather. If I lose power, I will be late, but I will be there as soon as it's back.... Mike

Lucian-Sunaka
04-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Well, I was going to post this in the group but then I realized only Etarnon and I are actually members of it presently. I figured it would be a good idea to put a summary of what we're doing right now and what's going on, so those who miss a day, or longer (you know who you are... *cough*... lol) can know what's going on. (also as a resource we can look back on and remember the adventures we had.)

Ahem... time to begin.....

We've been hired by Mr. Carlisle, a wealthy noble, to track down and recover lost artifacts from Terran civilization, scatterred about the galaxy. Our first mission, is to a desolate, cold, and extremely corosive and naturally uninhabitable planet, upon which is a scout training facility.

We've successfully slipped planetbound, behind their sensors, and five of us have embarked to explore the ruins we discovered. Thus far, there have been no signs of life in the ruins, and we've found some ancient laser weaponry, and data storage or passcode devices, and we're barely 10 minutes into the ruins.

Back in the ship, Ether Drake waits with the others, ready to launch once we return with the goods. We've only got 6 hours of air, and 20 minutes is gone so far. Only time will tell what sorts of treasures we uncover, or what dangers we may find lurking deep in these ancient temples of time gone by. Tune in next time folks, to see what waits for our unlikely heroes.

DeadMike
04-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, I was going to post this in the group but then I realized only Etarnon and I are actually members of it presently. I figured it would be a good idea to put a summary of what we're doing right now and what's going on, so those who miss a day, or longer (you know who you are... *cough*... lol) can know what's going on. (also as a resource we can look back on and remember the adventures we had.)

Ahem... time to begin.....

We've been hired by Mr. Carlisle, a wealthy noble, to track down and recover lost artifacts from Terran civilization, scatterred about the galaxy. Our first mission, is to a desolate, cold, and extremely corosive and naturally uninhabitable planet, upon which is a scout training facility.

We've successfully slipped planetbound, behind their sensors, and five of us have embarked to explore the ruins we discovered. Thus far, there have been no signs of life in the ruins, and we've found some ancient laser weaponry, and data storage or passcode devices, and we're barely 10 minutes into the ruins.

Back in the ship, Ether Drake waits with the others, ready to launch once we return with the goods. We've only got 6 hours of air, and 20 minutes is gone so far. Only time will tell what sorts of treasures we uncover, or what dangers we may find lurking deep in these ancient temples of time gone by. Tune in next time folks, to see what waits for our unlikely heroes.

I like it. I like it very much. Mostly because I myself have a very bad memory. Which is why I would like to add:
We have checked out down two corridors. Straight down the main corridor to the two "ash" remains, as well as ~50 meters down the "mouth" passage on the right. Eftear stopped at that point because the Liquid. The hallway is covered wall to wall and too far deep to pass without touching the ~1/2" deep black liquid. He has no idea what the "liquid" is, but since on this planet there is a very good chance it is corrosive. This is where we will pick up next week.
Thank you, Mike

Edit, sorry forgot something. Our cargo hold has in it 4 tons of pharmaceuticals purchased at 90,000 credits per ton. It also has 8 tons of basic machine parts purchased for 10500 credits (higher than I would have wished, but should still be able to make a profit from them (hopefully) considering our next destination) per ton. leaving a lot of room in ourhold. Hopefully what we find will not need to be stored there.
For those of you who were not there for the week before last, we made a modification on our ship. We put in a secret small hold. This hold is small, and can only be accessed from outside of the ship while the landing gear is down. That way if we get boarded and searched in space, they will not find a secret door to that space. I figure if your character knows this, you should too.

Etarnon
04-24-2009, 03:39 AM
Game over. I'm ceasing running this.

Best of luck to all players in future. Keep all books I've sent out.

Soft Serve
04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Game over. I'm ceasing running this.

Best of luck to all players in future. Keep all books I've sent out.

Ok am I the only one that doesn't know why?

And if ET is quitting the site and someone knows it please send me a PM.

Lucian-Sunaka
04-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Things happen Soft. I'm sure ET will give a detailed explanation when the time is right, though I'll admit it hits me a little hard too. We're already in an adventure, so maybe we can work together to keep the game going somehow. Sure as hell won't be the same without Etarnon though.

(And on a side note, if said efforts actually succeed and do well, of course your welcome to play with us James.)

DeadMike
04-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Um, ok. If this is because of R/L unavoidable stuff, I hope things get better soon!
BTW, a couple of you have my e-mail if you need to find me. Either that or send me a message here, it'll e-mail me to let me know.
Take care all,
Mike