PDA

View Full Version : DND 3.5, Pathfinder... Lords of Littleton (Offline and Online)

RxScram
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
I am putting together a D&D 3.5 (Pathfinder) campaign, based in a homebrew campaign world with strong elements from the Greyhawk setting. The setting is low-magic, high-fantasy, meaning that all of the fantastic creatures exist, all of the classical magic items exist, but high level (arcane) spellcasters are fairly rare. So, instead of a 20th level wizard in every major city, there will be only a few per continent. If a player chooses to play an arcane spellcaster, he/she should expect some attention from the "establishment" as he gains in power.

A major thematic element I will be using during the campaign is the idea of the medieval feudal system, where everybody has certain roles to play in society: serfs work the land, including one day a week working their lord's land, freemen own shops and businesses and provide the commerce, nobility owns the land, collect taxes, protect the serfs (ideally...), and in turn pay taxes and provide troops to their lord. Clergy... well, they clergify :-P. Working within this structure should provide a lot of opportunity for additional roleplaying.

I am looking for 4-5 players. I am not planning on taking alternates, but this may change.

I have not decided on a game platform to use yet. I am considering Kloogeworks, maptool, openrpg, fantasygrounds, and battlegrounds. If we use one that requires a license fee, I will pay the fee for the client licenses as well (if desired).

The players will start at 5th level. This will allow us to get into the story, without every decision being about basic survival. Starting gold and equipment will be standard for 5th level (9000 gp). Additionally, players will have 1000gp to spend on non adventuring related equipment... more on this later. Finally, depending on the player background, I will give each player options for designing their own residence... be it an abbey, keep, or manor house... Again, more on this later.

I am open to any of the core classes from the PHB or pathfinder rules. Prestige classes and homebrew classes will not be used in the campaign. However, if the player has a very convincing argument and justification, I might allow a prestige class at a later time.

The portion of the world we will be starting in is heavily populated by humans... other races are seldom seen. Because of this, I am leaning towards allowing only humans and half-elves. If a player has a strong desire to play another race, I will consider it on an individual basis.

Ability scores will be generated using the 4d6 method, dropping the lowest die and rerolling any 1's. Hitpoints are generated normally.

Alignments are restricted to non-evil and non party disruptive alignments. However, if you have good reason to want to play a C-N character, let me know.

Generally, I will not allow multi-classing. However, if something happens in game that makes a multi-classing a natural extension of the game events, then I will allow it.

Die rolls will be done based on the honor system. Depending on the game platform we decide to use, we may just use the built-in die roller. I may allow "special" die rolls depending on party interest.

There will be some house rules, detailed later.

Character background is a very important part of the campaign world, especially since we are starting at a higher level. Ideally, the character should have a page or more of background, detailing major experiences, life changing events, how they ended up where they are, their motivations , etc. The more detailed the background, the better I will be able to put together a campaign to tie everything and everybody together. Also, I will give significant bonus XP and equipment/resources based on the depth of the background. One aspect of the campaign I would like to be considered in the background is the character's role in society. Is she a noble, lord of a small village? How did the character get this position? Was it inherited, earned in war, etc.? Issues of nobility and clergy will be a major theme of the campaign.

The game will be about a 60/40 mixture of roleplaying and combat, varying based upon group motivation.

RxScram
11-28-2008, 10:52 AM
So far, I have a buff bard, a supporting fighter, and an arcane spellcaster of some sort. I am still recruiting for a cleric, a rogue, and perhaps another front-line fighter.

If interested, please drop a line on the forum or PM me.

RxScram

RxScram
11-30-2008, 11:38 AM
We are still recruiting to fill up at least one, maybe as many as 3 slots in the campaign. We will be gaming biweekly on Sundays, from approximately noon until 6pm Pacific Time (time is flexible by 1-2 hours each way).

We have currently in the party: A bard, a Paladin, and a Sorcerer, and perhaps a support-fighter based upon Echoen's availability. I would like to fill the party with a rogue type, an additional fighter type, and hopefully a cleric as well.

Please post in this message board, or send me a PM, if you are interested in joining.

RxScram

Etarnon
11-30-2008, 02:43 PM
I could easily commit to playing a human rogue or a human cleric, long term, I'll look in the PHB today.

I've heard a lot about pathfinder, but never saw a copy in stores, it is only available as .pdf from Paizo? A survey of pathfinder on my part will tell me if some different core class from that book jumps out at me.

So I'd like to investigate some options for a day or two before saying Yes, this class. But I'm already saying yes, I'd like to join, despite final class selection.

Your setting sounds a lot like my own (2e) Variant of Birthright.

I'm an relatively New 3.5 Player (But I have all or most of the books), and have run a short campaign as a 3.5 DM. Otherwise, i've played AD&D since 1979, through 2e, and I've run a NWN Server as lead DM with 6 DMs on my staff.

I live EST, but getting up early Sunday to fit PST Time zone works well for me, my last group (I moved away to a different state last month), gamed from noon till about 6 PM.

I've played rogues since 1e, in 1979, and clerics also. In college, my major was world religions. If I'd do a cleric, I'd need an idea / rough sketch of the pantheon.

If we use one that requires a license fee, I will pay the fee for the client licenses as well (if desired).That's a great offer. I usually do that as well. Online so far, I've used openRPG for years to run many many games with many different systems. I've looked at a few others that you mentioned but not in any sort of detail, more a curiosity, since it has always been tough to get players to commit, and show regularly for more than a few sessions.

Once your final selection of interface is done, I'll get my own license, since in that case, I'd buy a DM / GM version for myself to add to my online gaming toolbox of tricks.

The players will start at 5th level. This will allow us to get into the story, without every decision being about basic survival. I appreciate the sentiment. If it does revert to some lesser level pre-game though, I'd have no problems, (and actually prefer it, since I like gritty life and death / very challenging games much better.) But no problems. I know
a lot of players / DMs like the sweet spot of 5th.

Starting gold and equipment will be standard for 5th level (9000 gp). Additionally, players will have 1000gp to spend on non adventuring related equipment... more on this later.Good deal, wondering what this could be. Additionally, I'm wondering if this might be converted to land or a forest or larger ruin, or something, to tie the Player Character to the game world, along the lines of your post:

Finally, depending on the player background, I will give each player options for designing their own residence... be it an abbey, keep, or manor house... Again, more on this[I]

I'm very interested in this option also. I've always done this for players who wanted it, especially in my Birthright-flavored campaign.

I'll investigate pathfinder, this afternoon, and post a bit later, if i can find things out. My regular FLGS is closed Sundays.

t.g27
11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I am very intrested in joining if your still looking for people... havent played inwhile so rusty with the rules of 3.5 but will learn quickly..
I would be intrested in playing a fighter, or ranger

RxScram
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Hey Guys,

I'd love to have you both in my campaign. I am having the majority of the discussion for the campaign on another site, and if I have your permission I would like to PM you the link so that you could join in and see more information. Please let me know if that would be okay with you.

RxScram

t.g27
12-01-2008, 05:03 PM
send me a pm and we will take it from thr

Etarnon
12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
No problem here. I'm on a few RPG sites. If it's Dragonsfoot, Or WOTC forums, I'm there already.

akela122301
12-06-2008, 04:40 AM
Hey, you still looking for a sneaky-sneaky type character? If so, I would probably be available.

Peeaceful_Dizzy
10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
hello all..I am very interested in joining...I wouldnt mind playing a healer type(cleric)..I would enjoy it actually...please let me know if you all still have room..like one of the people said I need to look into the pathfinder world so that I can familiarize myself with the classes/races...let me know please...call or email me at southcalg@gmail.com or 626 518 2496 hope to hear from you soon..later oh yeah..name is Bernard...later