PDA

View Full Version : Draconomicon

Farcaster
11-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Has anyone picked up the 4th edition Draconomicon? I haven't yet, but I'm weighing whether I should pick one up. Is it worth it? What were your thoughts if you've flipped through or purchased it?

Valdar
11-26-2008, 05:02 PM
My copy is supposed to arrive Saturday (I won't be home until Monday though... grr).

The excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20081024b) is wrong on so many levels. "Brown Dragon" invites scat humor, and the fact that the dragon is gastronomically themed doesn't help a bit. Anyway, it's a solo lurker, which I've found (from running a black dragon) makes for a long, tedious fight, so I wouldn't have used it for that reason alone.

Hopefully the rest of the dragons will be better.

frank634
11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
It is on my Christmas list, so I can't see it till Christmas. :(

Grimwell
11-27-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm not all that interested. I don't need a book full of new dragons to spice up my game, the Monster Manual has plenty of options, and more than I'll likely need. Dragons are rare things in the games I pen and run. Seeing one is a huge thing, living to tell about it even more so rare.

This is one of those books they seem to do for every edition of D&D that comes out, and it's one I just never buy.

Kalanth
11-27-2008, 08:03 AM
I have the book but have not had the time to sit down with it and really read through it. There are some outstanding sections depicting the anatomy and life style of each dragon type, but that was in the old editions as well. Now they add a lot more Dracolich's, the Brown and Grey dragons, planar dragons and baby dragons as well. They are all very well written from what I can see and, in my opinion, of the two that came out this month the Draconomicon was a much better purchase than Martial Powers.

kitsune1842
02-09-2009, 12:32 AM
I have the book but have not had the time to sit down with it and really read through it. There are some outstanding sections depicting the anatomy and life style of each dragon type, but that was in the old editions as well. Now they add a lot more Dracolich's, the Brown and Grey dragons, planar dragons and baby dragons as well. They are all very well written from what I can see and, in my opinion, of the two that came out this month the Draconomicon was a much better purchase than Martial Powers.

I rather liked both, but which is the better purchase to me depends on what roll you take in the group. There is no reason at all for a player to pick up Draconomnicon, there is nothing in there for them.

That being said....player or GM I like the Draconomicon more just because it has dragons in it. Is that wrong of me?

Aidan
02-09-2009, 03:09 AM
I thumbed through one at Barnes and Noble, and as far as I'm concerned, the Monster Manual has plenty of chromatic dragons. The five there are the classics. I think the planar dragons and the other chromatics are mostly people just going dragon crazy. A dragon encounter shouldn't be at all common, so you'd end up not using any of them. The dragon horde stuff was intersting, but the only other dragon I'd like to have stats for is the faerie dragon.

cigamnogard
02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I also have thumbed through it and even though I am a huge fan of dragons - I passed on the book.

Otakar
02-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I really felt it was put out there for the $ especially since there is a separate edition coming with the Metalic dragons in it. I echo Grimwell's opinion and think there are plenty of monsters to work with. I would be happy to get it as a present though as I would any good fantasy book. :)

Aidan
02-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I just hope the metallic dragons receive the same treatment in MM2 as the Chromatic ones did in the MM, so I won't have to buy Draconomicon 2