PDA

View Full Version : Martial Power Book

frank634
11-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Well, I finally got my Martial Powers book from Amazon.com today and wanted to share my first impressions.

This is exactly what I expected Wotc to do in expanding the rules. Additional additional powers, feats, class options, and the like. Overall, a well written book and the powers are excellent.

The feats really impressed me. Feats you were used to seeing in 3.5 have finally showed up (ex: Dirty Fighting, Ankle Cutter) as well as over 100 new feats.

The ranger really got something nice: Beast Mastery. You give up Prime Shot and you do not select a fighting style to get this. Doing so grants you a beast for a companion (who needs druids anyway).

This is a must have book for anybody going into the martial classes (fighter, ranger, rogue, warlord). If this is how they are going to expand 4e, they are on the right track.

Aidan
11-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Darn it, I'm biting my nails waiting until Thursday :P

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-19-2008, 02:08 AM
Sounds great. Cant wait to get my hands on a copy.

Valdar
11-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Got my copy yesterday, and looking through it. Seems like the two-weapon fighter has the edge against the great weapon fighter, with an at-will dual attack (a la Ranger), so I'd probably switch to that, but I'm currently playing a shield fighter, so I'll probably stick with that.

Our ranger will probably likewise stick with archery rather than get a pet, and our rogue goes more for social finesse than flashy acrobatics, so I don't think we'll see anyone jumping ship for another style this time around. But the dramatic increase in options is most welcome- particularly at those levels where you're tempted to multiclass because you don't like any of your choices...

Aidan
11-20-2008, 04:42 PM
I just picked up Martial Power and paged through it a bit. I didn't really investigate all the sections, but I'm making a warlord for a campaign starting Saturday, and it definitely changed a few things. I took one of the new feats (Improved Inspiring Word) and drooled over a couple of the dragonborn martial class feats at paragon and epic level. It's nice having more epic destinies for martial classes too.

The illustrations were nice, but like all the other illos I've seen for 4e two things were nigh ridiculously oversized: weapons and breasts. (I know that the words 'silicone' and 'fantasy' often go together, but I'm pretty sure that it's a differnt context.)

Kalanth
11-21-2008, 09:01 AM
I thumbed through the book this morning and it looks like a nice addition to a 4e game. If anything I would want it to improve on the Epic destiny options as 4 options is just not enough. Only thing is that there was so much junk dumped on us in 3.5 that I am aprehensive of an actual purchase.

I did buy the Draconomicon, but the Martial Powers I am on the fence with.

Farcaster
11-21-2008, 11:25 AM
I've only so far scanned through the fighters section and a little bit of the ranger. What I really liked was that they have added a lot of different power sets to customize your fighter based on the type of weapon or even race. I do think they have fallen into the same trap as they did in 4th edition of trying to outdo themselves with every new release, so you have to be on guard as a DM to omit anything that may be broken. For instance, I'm already considering removing the Battle Rager (I think that was what it was called) who gets temporary hitpoints equal to his constitution modifier every time he's hit by a melee or close attack. Although it doesn't stack with itself, the fighter still ends up with what amounts to a DR vs melee equal to his constitution modifier. Which, is quite uber if you ask me. Combine that with the Dreadnaught paragon class, and "Oh my," is what comes to mind...

Chavic
11-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Now I need to pick up a copy. I want to use the companion rules to create a undead minion for a home brew necromancer.
*drool*

Grimwell
11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
I went into my FLGS tonight to buy this -- based on your words in this thread. They were sold out. :(

I might be able to get one on Friday though.

Kalanth
11-26-2008, 07:31 AM
I went into my FLGS tonight to buy this -- based on your words in this thread. They were sold out. :(

I might be able to get one on Friday though.

I went into Borders last night and they had about 15 on the shelf. I too would rather buy from the FLGS, but the option may be available for you based on the need for instant gratification.

Grimwell
11-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm holding out for the FLGS. He will have some by the time I get there on Friday according to his shipping manifest. They had a RPGA event this past weekend and were cleaned out -- that's a good reason for me. :)

Plus, I'm holding out in support of the FLGS for most of my purchases, or I'd be on Amazon right now.

Kalanth
11-27-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm holding out for the FLGS. He will have some by the time I get there on Friday according to his shipping manifest. They had a RPGA event this past weekend and were cleaned out -- that's a good reason for me. :)

Plus, I'm holding out in support of the FLGS for most of my purchases, or I'd be on Amazon right now.

Very good point there. I make sure I do that often as possible, especially in this economy. Downside for me is the nearest FLGS to where I live is 30 miles away...

Grimwell
11-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I drive about 12 miles and over a foothill; but I drive over 70 miles a day to get to work so it's no bother for me. ;P

Kalanth
11-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I drive about 12 miles and over a foothill; but I drive over 70 miles a day to get to work so it's no bother for me. ;P

While my daily commute is roughly the same it is also the why as to why I don't go as much as I used to. 330 miles every five days is hard enough on the car (and wallet)... :)

wbrandel
11-28-2008, 06:22 PM
I picked mine up on tuesday and I have to agree with Farcaster, the battlerager is a bit overpowered and it will not be allowed in my games. other than that I liked what I read and saw in the book.

Grimwell
11-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I picked up my copy last night and intend to keep it on my reading table, staring at me and inducing guilt, until I find time to read it! ;o