PDA

View Full Version : 1st Edition Conversions...

RealmsDM
11-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Has anyone converted a classic 1e adventure to 3e (or even 4e, even though i'm anti-4e)

I've done it with the Desert of Desolation adventure & Tomb of Horrors. I'm planning on Against the Giants or Decent into the Depth of the Earth next (maybe both as a full campaign)

Any tales, good or bad?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Has anyone converted a classic 1e adventure to 3e (or even 4e, even though i'm anti-4e)

I've done it with the Desert of Desolation adventure & Tomb of Horrors. I'm planning on Against the Giants or Decent into the Depth of the Earth next (maybe both as a full campaign)

Any tales, good or bad?
Not really what youre were asking but, two of our DM's have taken it beyond the design right into gameplay, so they have been play-tested. The games were WLD(Worlds Largest Dungeon), and Ravenloft. Both were rewritten to fit into 4.0.

I, myself, love the 1e stuff. I would love to see your work on DoD and ToH. I've been in talks with other players for the redesign into 4.0 with the GDQ series. I think this would be a great game, so i am with you here. Since i am moving soon, sadly, those talks were for naught.

I'd not only love to see your work, i'd love for you to share your adventures with your players on these boards.

Jcosby
11-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I spent sometime a couple years back and converted the A Series from 1st Edition to 3.5 Edition. After putting all of that work into it, someone pointed me to a conversion already done for 3.0. If I had already had the 3.0 conversion a conversion to 3.5 would have been easier.

I don't really think that conversions from 1st edition to 3.x edition are to terrible difficult. I think going from 1st to 4th would be much tougher, and of course going from 3.5 to 1st would be very tough as well.

JC

drewshi
11-22-2008, 05:12 PM

Any tales, good or bad?

I don't know play any other version than 1.0, but I was wondering if you might be able to help me. Is there a way to convert 3.0 or 3.5 stats to 1.0. What I am looking to do is convert the stats given for the kids from the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon in the DVD set.

tesral
11-23-2008, 01:23 AM
I don't know play any other version than 1.0, but I was wondering if you might be able to help me. Is there a way to convert 3.0 or 3.5 stats to 1.0. What I am looking to do is convert the stats given for the kids from the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon in the DVD set.

Convert them to what? Fertilizer. Oh I hated that cartoon.

Grimwell
11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I have not converted any of my old modules to 4E yet, but I don't think it would be very difficult. 4E monsters are pretty easy and flexible once you grasp the system so it would be more about the time involved than sorting it all out IMO.

drewshi
11-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Convert them to what? Fertilizer. Oh I hated that cartoon.

I know many people, including some in my campaign, hates them, which is why I want to convert the stats given into 1.0 and piss off the players. I once had Dungeon Master appear before a party and they immediately proceeded to attack him figuring they'd rather die than have to deal with him in their world. I gave them a break and let them place him in a bag and toss it in the river.

Addis Hellfire
11-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Converting Lankhmar stuff into third ed from second and first. For some reason, first to third doesn't work well, but first to second then third does. Weird. Probably because an AC of 2 was awesome in first ed and sort of standard in second.