PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in D&D mentality

bltzkrg242
11-13-2008, 02:46 PM
So I've made a scoundrel character and it seems that you do get lots of benefits from talents and feats but there isn't a lot of "magic item' like devices in Star Wars...

Once you get some decent gear, what's the point of accumulating credits?

Webhead
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
So I've made a scoundrel character and it seems that you do get lots of benefits from talents and feats but there isn't a lot of "magic item' like devices in Star Wars...

Once you get some decent gear, what's the point of accumulating credits?

Credits aren't just for personal gear. True, it depends on the campaign, but if you're running a party of characters who operate on their own budget (especially if they have their own ship), life in the galaxy is expensive. The maintenance/repair costs of a starship alone is hefty and that's assuming that you have the ship paid off and don't have to make monthly payments to a crime lord or bank. My current group ends up paying about 3,500 creds per month between loan payments and refueling. Repairing battle damage costs extra. And if you want to upgrade the ship to help better keep you alive against pirates and Imperial convoys, the costs skyrocket.

If you're group doesn't have their own ship and instead relies on mass transport or private charter, those expenses stack up just as quickly. The average suggested cost for private charter is 10,000 creds (more or less depending on travel destination and risk-assessment).

There's also the issue of seeking medical assistance. Professional medicine, surgery or bacta treatment are all pricey and might be needed when you wind up on the wrong end of an E-Web.

Then you've got wheels to grease, bouncers to bribe, Imperial customs officers to "convince" not to impound your ship, bounty hunters to pay off, not to mention food, supplies, tools and any other extraneous expenses that you might incur in your travels.

praksis
11-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Hmm, hadn't thought about that but is an interesting change in perspective.

D&D is traditionally cash loaded - you never have to really worry about the basics; food, lodging, transportation as typically those costs are extremely low compared to the amount of gold available. But gold really doesn't do too much more for you than that, items are the real value.

Star Wars is a bit more realistic (or more real to us non multimillionaires) - those basics eat up quite a bit of your budget, to the point you really need some kind of steady income to function.

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Also given the last few sourcebooks that have come out there are plenty of more equipment items that characters may want to invest in.

Plus the new weapon and armor upgrade rules being presented in the Scum and Villainy sourcebook, there are plenty of options to blow credits.

However, Star Wars in general is NOT very equipment based. I feel this is primarily due to the fact that in all the movies we rarely see the main characters loaded down with equipment. Jedi carry a lightsaber, utility belt, and an all temperature cloak. Everyone else, usually just a blaster pistol and a comlink.

The SWRPG can be as equipment heavy or light as you see fit. I have had some players waaaaay into their gear and others that couldn't care less. As a GM I made sure that both players were happy.

Webhead
11-13-2008, 06:00 PM
...However, Star Wars in general is NOT very equipment based. I feel this is primarily due to the fact that in all the movies we rarely see the main characters loaded down with equipment. Jedi carry a lightsaber, utility belt, and an all temperature cloak. Everyone else, usually just a blaster pistol and a comlink.

The SWRPG can be as equipment heavy or light as you see fit. I have had some players waaaaay into their gear and others that couldn't care less. As a GM I made sure that both players were happy.

Exactly. There are options there for those who really like their toys and want to give them a lot of attention, but it also supports the guy who just wants a fresh power pack for his blaster pistol. Because there is no escalation of "magic arms and armor" in Star Wars, a simple blaster pistol is as good a choice at Level 20 as it is at Level 1.

GBVenkman
12-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Although retrofitting your star ship to be a killing machine is probably half the fun for me.

Not to mention how many times you have to replace your ship due to imperial guns..

Pushes some PCs to become out laws.

Webhead
12-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Although retrofitting your star ship to be a killing machine is probably half the fun for me.

Not to mention how many times you have to replace your ship due to imperial guns..

Yeah, starship upkeep and modifications are expensive. No doubt about it. Makes the underground Spice trade look really appealing... ;)

Etarnon
12-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Star wars was not founded on gear.

Star wars was founded on plot. The gear and the money is all background details.

Problem is SW D6 didn't try to shoe horn gear in all that much, and was the better for it, while WOTC tried to make SW into D&D 3.5 in space, where you have levels and credits and the like.

I ignore the money, and run the plot as focus, and it works better.

Inquisitor Tremayne
12-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Star wars was not founded on gear.

Star wars was founded on plot. The gear and the money is all background details.

Problem is SW D6 didn't try to shoe horn gear in all that much, and was the better for it, while WOTC tried to make SW into D&D 3.5 in space, where you have levels and credits and the like.

I ignore the money, and run the plot as focus, and it works better.

BUT it can be. If that is what the player is into, there are options there for it.

The very fact that Boba Fett exists in SW is testament to the fact that there are those characters in SW that are focused on their gear.

I am looking forward to the multitude of NPCs that my PCs are going to have to fight that now have custom gear!

tesral
12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
One can reasonably argue that Star Wars is space fantasy. Now playing in the SW setting it is pretty much on the GM to decide what the focus is going to be. If I didn't want money to be the focus I would lift the d20 Modern wealth system and plop it right in.

blackcatf
02-25-2009, 08:41 PM

Yes, right now my question is whether to start stockpiling my credits to upgrade my engines and weapons or find some way to salvage the parts I'm looking to install on the ship. My freighter won't be the Millenium Falcon when I'm done with it, but it will more than hold its own.

John Wolf
04-15-2009, 04:28 AM
Star Wars is a bit more realistic (or more real to us non multimillionaires) - those basics eat up quite a bit of your budget, to the point you really need some kind of steady income to function.

In SW Saga, credits can be the difference of being stuck on a planet because your broke, or even not being able to bribe someone to spy for you and so on. Credits have more uses then D&D gold.

Silverthorne
04-15-2009, 05:35 AM
There is a few problems with stockpiling credits. Unless you know there is no way that the account your money is in can be hacked you have to carry it around. This presents a bigger problem. Packing a pack of credit around with you is fairly risky, since people will want that money.

If you want a ship as good as the Falcon, better start talking to people about upgrades. The best engine you can by is a *1. The Falcon is at *.5, due to jury rigged systems. Learn to jury rig. Look at the how to upgrade information in the main book or one of the supplements. There is also a web supplement on line.

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-15-2009, 10:36 AM
A starship makes a good investment for wasting the PCs credits. Especially after a few combats when they need to make repairs.

Gather Information and Bribes are also a good way. By the Way the bribery rules are in The Force Unleashed CG.