PDA

View Full Version : Playing Online D&D

heman
11-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Do people play this game online? I have never played but looking to get into.

nijineko
11-13-2008, 08:17 AM
i might consider it once the put psionics on it. i mean really... eberron without psionics? not.

Skunkape
11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
I used to play, but I tend to only have enough time to quest solo and most games aren't friendly enough to allow lots of solo questing. Granted, I like the community and do quest with members of any guild I belong to, but for the majority of the time that I can get on, I don't want to waste the time looking for group, so that's why I do a lot of solo play.

DDO added solo play to their game, but it just never worked right, ended up having a hard time not dying all the time.

Farcaster
11-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Of course, you could always play online with Neverwinter Nights II. There are people who have put together pretty detailed worlds using the toolset, and there are communities of players to join (albeit small compared to a MMPOG).

heman
11-13-2008, 10:23 AM
What about pen and paper style online?

amardolem
11-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes, people play by email (slow) and play-by-post (which is still slow, but faster then email) there are any number of games running here (and at other games related sites) at any time, just look for an open invite or someone needing a replacement player in their game in the forums.

Games tend to fill up fast so keep an eye to the Campaign invites :suspicious:, most play by post GM's are experienced enough to help beginning players too and the slow pace pretty much keeps those new to the game from being overwhelmed by rules.

There is also many kinds of software out there to run live games over the net (I play in maptool, but there are many others which folk hereabouts have used and a quick search of the forums may lead you to a thread detailling the pros and cons of the different programs-I distinctly remember at least 2 threads on the subject)

Hope that helps:rolleyes:

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
The little time I actually have to play Dungeons and Dragons Online I REALLY enjoy it! I like it way better than any other online game I have played.

I don't know about D&D but I am in 2 online Star Wars Saga Edition games.

One word, slow.

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Although I greatly desire to play NWN2 online, my computer can hardly handle the game as it is, and DDO has monthly subscriber fees. many mmos do. I also worry a lot about the IP exploits that mmos lay bare.
If I were wealthier, and had a separate and non-secure NAT-box routed ethernet for online games, and a better computer, I would be all over mmos in a minute.
It smites me to think that almost every new game that is being released or will ever be henceforth is some kind of MMO...

Grimwell
11-13-2008, 02:24 PM
MMO's pose no more of a security risk than any other internet application. People can't get access to your IP information when you play a MMO, the company that is hosting the game gains it (obviously) but it's not available to other players unless you were to type it out in chat. =)

MortonStromgal
11-13-2008, 06:13 PM
I also worry a lot about the IP exploits that mmos lay bare.

I wouldn't worry about it so much, If your on the internet someone can get you. I don't care what firewall/os/security software you have, if someone wants your info its just a matter of time. Best thing to do is monitor it and take action when suspicious activity happens (use common sense, run updates, don't open funny emails, don't browse the web as root). Don't laugh but Microsoft released the "firewall" they use internally. Other than blocking a few ports it doesn't do much. However they log log log everything and analyze it for suspicious behavior. You know there are people trying to crack them every day... just saying it mostly has worked for them and they have a whole lot more people trying to break in than your desktop.

cplmac
11-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Although I have not done so myself, I have wondered how well it would go using the chat system on the site here. There is a way to make a room for just the players and DM of that particular game. Of course, everyone would need to have a copy of the PHB for their use, since there isn't a way to share one at the table.

Where are you located at? There is no city listed with your post. Do you just want to play online or would you be up for a table top game also?

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I was perhaps thinking of early online game / crq chat exploits that have long since been resolved.

Ah, well... I like using that as an excuse instead of admitting to having an impossibly bad computer and being too financially constrained to upgrade it. ...or have the financial wherewithal to pay a monthly mmo fee.

Skunkape
11-14-2008, 08:33 AM
I was perhaps thinking of early online game / crq chat exploits that have long since been resolved.

Ah, well... I like using that as an excuse instead of admitting to having an impossibly bad computer and being too financially constrained to upgrade it. ...or have the financial wherewithal to pay a monthly mmo fee.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who would rather not use your financial wherewithal to pay a monthly mmo fee.;)

heman
11-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Although I have not done so myself, I have wondered how well it would go using the chat system on the site here. There is a way to make a room for just the players and DM of that particular game. Of course, everyone would need to have a copy of the PHB for their use, since there isn't a way to share one at the table.

Where are you located at? There is no city listed with your post. Do you just want to play online or would you be up for a table top game also?

i am currently overseas in the military so online would be best. I would need a PHB because I am a noob. Is there an online version?

cplmac
11-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I am not sure about an online version of a PHB, but it is my understanding that most can be found for sale on several different web sites. If they will not send it to you overseas, you might need to have it sent to someone stateside and have them send it over to you. From what I have heard, there are even books availabe for older versions of games also. You could always try to see if there might be a free version available on the WOTC (Wizard Of The Coast) site.

My game is D&D. AD&D second edition (more commonly refered to as 2E now). The group that I have going here in the Pittsburgh, PA area has one member that actually go a copy of the PHB from one of those sites that sales books and stuff. Wasn't sure if there was a specific version of the game that you were wanting to play, or are you open to which ever you can manage to get into to start. Obviously, the latest version is 4E, that came out earlier this year. Those books will be alot higher in cost for awhile yet with it being the newest.

Let me know what you think. And by the way, from an old Marine, "Thanks for you service!"

MortonStromgal
11-14-2008, 10:36 AM
i am currently overseas in the military so online would be best. I would need a PHB because I am a noob. Is there an online version?

I believe all editions of the PHB are available on
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/

For 3.X You can use the SRD but it will be missing a lot of rules (like how to create a character)
3.5 http://www.d20srd.org/
3.0 http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html

Bearfoot_Adam
11-14-2008, 11:03 AM
IF you are talking 3.5 there are plenty of legal srd's that contain all the stuff you would need for making a character.
www.d20srd.org
You would just need the dm with the book to tell you what to roll and all that.

Simon2010200
12-10-2008, 08:14 AM
I've played using maptools (http://rptools.net/doku.php)
Which is excellent, alot better for a more role playing style of game than F2F games. And the maps etc can be pretty good.

Etarnon
12-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Ditto, heman.

I often get spares for older games from my Ebay store. (4e being an exception).

But if you are looking for 1e, 2e, Traveller, Gamma world, etc, I can ship you some books to you via your APO adress... depends what you want to play.

Online, what I use is openRPG, a chat based program with a built in dice roller. It's free, built by the community.

http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=orpg

I have run Star Wars d6, Star Wars Saga, Star Trek FASA, Star Trek LUG, AD&D 1e, 2e, D&D 3.5, Cyberpunk, many others less well known there for years.

I'd say the community there is about 200 gamers, varies between days as to who is on, what games are run at what times.

Kazinsky
12-12-2008, 02:42 PM
I have played several campaigns both in 3.5e and 4.0 D&D online using MapTools (www.rptools.net). Excellent system that has a great amount of usability, is free and is constantly being updated.

The one thing to know about VTT (virtual-table-top) gaming is that you need players that have a fair understanding of the VTT application that you are running. If not, you have a pretty slow-going game, especially in combat.

There are other tools out there, but I am sure you can use Google just as well as any of us.