PDA

View Full Version : Character creation

boulet
11-11-2008, 09:31 PM
In my opinion the game would really benefit if your character were at least acquaintances. Even if you belong to different families/factions, I'm sure we can work out a nice back story.

I have started elaborating plots but mostly from an Amberite point of view. I've got to keep on my toes in case you form a group of Chaosites or outsiders.

nijineko
11-12-2008, 11:50 PM
oooooh. seriously tempted. i've always wanted to play amber.

boulet
11-13-2008, 08:21 AM
How familiar are you with Amber ? Both with the series and the game ? Did you read the recruitment thread (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8114) ?

nijineko
11-13-2008, 11:05 PM
no i hadn't read the thread yet, however i've read through the first rpg book, and all ten of the series. that was a while ago, so i'm a bit sketchy on exact cannon by now. but as far as overall goes, i'm pretty detailed. i'll go wander over to that thread and see. just up front, i have all my games on hold right now due to the move. so as tempted as i am, i can't commit right now.

MortonStromgal
11-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm starting through the RPG book sections...

amardolem
11-21-2008, 06:45 PM
I have kind of an idea where my guy is going but I'm unsure how much to reveal right now, I'm thinking some kind of relative(of the originals) Amberite. From what I can glean, whether all the pc's are on the same side or not, there's still alot of friendly/devious verbal fencing. Any thoughts?
I have it set up so I can extricate/decimate various parts of my backstory to fit how the auction turns out. ;)

boulet
11-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Sorry, real life really kicked my lazy butt this week :)

But I'm ready to play. I'd like the first scene to start at a diplomatic meeting between a group of Amber family members and some diplomatic representatives of the Court of chaos. The level of commitment to this process is quite minimal on both side.

* SPOILER * * SPOILER* SPOILER* SPOILER* SPOILER* SPOILER *

King Random (sorry) isn't attending the reunion. On top of that he insisted for the location to be Rebma. The choice of the underwater sister of Amber can be seen as more neutral. Obviously Llewella is present, coordinating the Amberite delegation and the Rebman foreign office (a perplexing thought considering Rebma's only geographic contact is with Amber). Flora declined to participate to the deep disappointment of the King. Instead Fiona will be leading the Amberite mission and her strong presence predisposes her to preside this reunion. Julian accepted a military consultant position and looks sinister, taking his charge very seriously and talking to most in a dry way, save Llewella he adores. Your characters are here for backup, mostly regarding protocol and it entitled you for a residence of two weeks and training intensively in diplomatic matters by professors of the Royal College.

Don't worry Amardolem we'll find time to detail the gap between your story and your presence here.

I'm hoping we can plan one evening for either a skype session or some chat room to be determined. I already know I'm busy next Tuesday but any other day is fine, not before 9:30.

amardolem
11-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Thurdsay is Thanksgiving too. I noticed MortonStromgal is in Seattle, so I take it the 9:30 would be pm EST? (otherwise we'd be around 12:30 and It's hard for a geezer like m'self to stay up that late:sleep:)

boulet
11-22-2008, 02:27 PM
oh crap, I didn't think of the time difference. That sucks :) maybe we'll have to do that on weekend.

amardolem
11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
originally in the maptool game, the DM was in the UK, 3 players were on the east coast, and 1 was in Ca. so I naturally think in terms of logistical nightmare....it's like a second language:confused:

My character is Ghraele, I'm thinking a relation to Julian (grand son? or are we to be that closely connected with the Main playas' in Amber, yo) even tho from the books Julian is not my favorite character, it will prove an interesting challenge. Hey your idea was for the auction to live right? On skype you can easily change to your character name, but in the play by section on here is there a way to have an alias?

MortonStromgal
11-23-2008, 12:02 PM
I normally am home by 5pm which should be 8pm your time...

Mirina
11-23-2008, 12:26 PM
The weekend might end up being better overall for a session or the auction. I know this week is shaping up to be crazy for me, with Thanksgiving among other things. But I think it'd be good to have a session in between this week and Christmas, otherwise we might have to wait until 2009.

The only other days that might pose a problem are December 3rd (and possibly the 2nd as well). I have an interview in Portland, though I haven't decided if I'll drive down the day before or just make it there and back in the same day.

I started re-reading my big book of Amber, and it's given me some ideas as to what character I'd like to make. I'll get it fleshed out more and post later in the week.

boulet
11-25-2008, 04:04 PM
My daughter Juliette was born on Sunday. She was in a hurry (almost four weeks early) and took us by surprise. And Thanksgiving is almost there... it's going to be a bit hectic. I hope we can arrange the auction to happen soon. Right now I'm a bit busy :)

amardolem
11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
My daughter Juliette was born on Sunday. She was in a hurry (almost four weeks early) and took us by surprise. And Thanksgiving is almost there... it's going to be a bit hectic. I hope we can arrange the auction to happen soon. Right now I'm a bit busy :)

Congrats!! where's my smoke?? life comes first my friend...it'll give me more Amber reading time :baby::wacko::ranger:

Mirina
11-26-2008, 11:49 AM

Congrats, boulet! And no worries about the auction, RL should come first! :D

MortonStromgal
12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I say we shoot for the week after new years so everyones RL can hopefully be calm.

amardolem
12-03-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm cool with that! and...you said it, things are getting quite out of control here. I had to euthanize my dog yesterday:(, and besides that the stress level all around has become most unbearable, I should be able to tame it by then tho, with any luck, and it gives Boulet that critical first month of not sleeping to get back on track...heh:laugh:

boulet
12-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I agree, it makes sense to delay until early January. I hope I'll find time to gather nice materials to illustrate the game in the mean time.

MortonStromgal
12-30-2008, 01:32 AM
can we shoot for the end of January for the bid? A bunch of things are happening early January (job hunting, personal crap) and while I could do it I would rather take the time to know what I'm doing. Maybe we could all get on skype earlier or something for a discussion if y'all want. Still really excited. I know the wife has been reading through the novels :D

boulet
12-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Your call Morton ! I understand that you're going through a lot of changes and you need to invest your time somewhere else. I might want to start a prologue to the story with Amardolem since his character is already quite defined and could use a narrative introduction. If Mirina wants to start a similar process that could be cool too. Obviously it would be too early to introduce conflicts and dramatic action, but there's room for characterization, enlightening flashbacks and family portrayals. What do you think guys ?

amardolem
12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm working on it! My reading of the chronicles got temporarily side tracked by getting the "Horror stories of R. E. Howard " for Xmas...I couldn't keep my eyes from it! Whenever it gets rolling I'm here and I got nothing but time :D. Well, unless you count that work/homeowner/parent stuff..

Edit: oh I forgot to add sleeping and eating somewhere in there :laugh:

MortonStromgal
02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Life still crazy, find out if I got a new job in about 2 weeks... Maybe you should start without me. IDK, Id like to play but no telling how the new job, if I get it, will be for time.

boulet
02-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey guys, sorry I've gone silent all that time. First I want to wish good luck to Morton with his job offer, and once again I understand that you can't commit right now.

I'm fine with running the game for two players. I'm just going to have to let the chargen take another direction : it's pointless organizing an auction for two persons. So let's just take the easy way : here are your 100 points, buy yourself some fancy powers, invest some in traits (warfare, psyche, strength, endurance) and other items/shadows/retainers and let's move on :) Reminder (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=53028&postcount=9) for power costs and attributes and stuff.

Amardolem character concept is already quite shaped and his backstory ends at the point where he's trapped in a Shadow quite similar to Earth, just with a Jules Vernes/Lovecraft angle :) I'll let him reproduce as much of what he revealed to me about Ghraele as he feels like. So what would be nice is if Mirina's character would be the one who stumbled upon a trump of Ghraele and was curious enough to establish a (difficult) contact with this stranger. It's nice because it would establish a "I owe you one" type of relationship between the two characters and could evolve into friendship, or whatever happens. So we're talking of a little constraint on Mirina's character here : your character has to be in close contact (if not part of) the royal family of Amber since Ghraele is himself the son of one of the princes, and this trump would be in some place in the palace. I hope Mirina doesn't mind the prerequisite imposed on her character.

If you're both ok with it, we could start a prologue thread that explains the circumstances of the discovery of Ghraele's trump, the rescue and the first conversation between the two characters. It doesn't have to be a long arc : could be done in less than ten posts depending how you guys feel about it. After this is done we could then switch back to the "present" situation which is the discreet diplomatic meeting between Amber and Chaos delegations in Rebma.

mnemenoi
04-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I love the game and have only played twice, though the times were quite memorable. I am going to assume that this is all done via Chat? not play by post? If it is then I'd be willing to do a little once I get my books in hand, that is if the game is still going...

amardolem
04-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I've never played...but I want to try...everyone's still here we just went into temporary stasis.....but I despise the idea to quitting something I've committed to....just a quirk I guess, I'm still here!!;)

mnemenoi
04-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Character submitted by PM, will post basic history and character idea soon

mnemenoi
04-26-2009, 11:07 PM
So is this game still valid?

boulet
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey guys,

I've been away from PnPG for a little while. I was a bit let down by the lack of reactiveness of my players so far, except for Amardolem who's been consistant. I couldn't imagine having only one character for an Amber game. It felt dirty ;)

I would love to finally get the game started. I'll come back to you Mnemenoi about your character. I have a few questions. As you can imagine, I have to rethink how I want to start the game since Mnemenoi's PC is opening different metaphorical doors. Not a biggie.

mnemenoi
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Right on, I certainly can understand. I'll try and write out a bit of a more ornate history when I get some time.

boulet
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Please wait for me. I enjoy the way you're focused and have a direction for your character. You're not afraid to bring a clear author stance when writing, that's great. Now my problem is more how to shoe horn this character into the premises I had in mind. Either I rework the opening chapter of the game or we work together to adapt your original concept. Both approaches are fine. If you didn't read the bits and pieces here (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8114), please do. I'll try and PM you tomorrow with more concrete questions/options.

Amardolem: thanks for your patience buddy !

mnemenoi
04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Read it over, I've only played a few times, but have read all the books and own both the RPG books. Looking forward to an interesting game indeed.

amardolem
04-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Please wait for me. I enjoy the way you're focused and have a direction for your character. You're not afraid to bring a clear author stance when writing, that's great. Now my problem is more how to shoe horn this character into the premises I had in mind. Either I rework the opening chapter of the game or we work together to adapt your original concept. Both approaches are fine. If you didn't read the bits and pieces here (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8114), please do. I'll try and PM you tomorrow with more concrete questions/options.

Amardolem: thanks for your patience buddy !
If you'd be so kind as to send my mutated backstory back to me it would be helpful (i'm not sure where in the giant world of my hardrive it is) I had been thinking of a trump for some time but real life got in the way of creativity...I'll just review the game whilst we work out the bugs...any word from Mirina?