PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it?

Janisy
11-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Anyone else play CJ Carella's WitchCraft? Well this might apply to other games, but how do you guys integrate the supernatural into your campaign? Do you throw your players right into it or what?

What I mean is personally I ease my character's into the supernatural world. They start off knowing there are other forces, and with their powers, but the first adventure is usually against mundanes (some conspiracy). Then the next one will have one or two supernatural creatures that will scare the characters and such (a werewolf or wendigo), so that when the third adventure comes with heavy supernatural themes (a cult of black witches)

Howdo ya'll do it?

Oh! And who else thinks Quarantine is a great influence for an adventure?

TAROT
11-12-2008, 04:28 AM
I find myself in recent years, much more attracted to campaigns with a planned ending rather than being of indeterminate length (mostly, the game seems more gratifying, but also, it's much easier to get people to commit to once a week for four months vs. once a week for life), so, I'm as likely to start with a big bang rather than a ramp up to ultimate wierdness. But if people are unfamiliar with the system, starting off slowly has its advantages.

But I would be tying things in together and adding some foreshadowing. So, if the plan was to tell a story about the black witch cult: The mundanes would have been influenced by one of the members of the cult, and some sigil or other paraphernalia would be seen again later. A shaman that they meet when investigating the wendigo could give them information about the sigil. (And I'd likely tie in a couple of PCs to the cult somehow - one of the cult members is a psychic swindling a PC's grandma out of her life savings - or, if you want to go full-on melodrama one of the cult members is a PC's mentor/spouse/evil twin.)

darelf
11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I've done both.

WitchCraft works great with pregenerated "supernatural" stuff, which is then hidden from the players who "discover" their powers through play. It's a lot of work for the GM, but it really pays off big time, especially if your players are cool with not even really knowing the rules. It lets them concentrate on playing the character, because they really don't know the extent of their powers (just like the characters), and the tension and suspense is much more geniune and interesting.

But it works fine for other kinds of games... i.e. Dresden Files type games, where everyone is supernatural and likes to impress each other with their cool "supernaturalness". One-ups-manship can be fun as a way of introducing characters and letting the players get a feel for the game system. (that show was all about how everyone was the best at this, or the ruler of that, or whatever.... there were no "average" mages, etc. )

just my $US 0.02