PDA

View Full Version : D&D RPGA Report: DMing in Public

PnP News Bot
11-09-2008, 11:50 PM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

RPGA Report: DMing in Public (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drrep/20081110)

You've been DMing a Living FR game, and now you want to jump to the big time: Running a game at a convention or other event. Here's what you need to know to prepare!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-10-2008, 11:14 PM
I've played with the idea with DM'ing at a Con. We will see. Ive thought about running Gamma World(D6), WFRP(either edition), and/or old school first edition/hackmaster every year. I believe 2009 will be the year.

The article itself was laden with common sense, while interlaced with some good suggestions. A good read, all in all, for anyone looking to DM a Con.

mrken
11-11-2008, 07:34 AM
When I first read the title I thought GM'ing in PUBLIC. Like our where anyone could see you. One summer I worked for a company that took kids to parks and played a customized Living LARP of sorts. It was pretty fun as many of the kids would do this quite often and some of the characters were pretty high level.

As for GM'ing at gaming conventions, I find them to be very much like GM'ing at my house. The people are strangers at first, but most of them are pretty much like your regulars. They even pick the same characters you generally see in your regular games. Even the beginners tend to be pretty much like people you have hung out with for years. Most of them want to have some fun and your game is fun. Just like at home.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-11-2008, 08:34 AM
When I first read the title I thought GM'ing in PUBLIC. Like our where anyone could see you. One summer I worked for a company that took kids to parks and played a customized Living LARP of sorts. It was pretty fun as many of the kids would do this quite often and some of the characters were pretty high level.

As for GM'ing at gaming conventions, I find them to be very much like GM'ing at my house. The people are strangers at first, but most of them are pretty much like your regulars. They even pick the same characters you generally see in your regular games. Even the beginners tend to be pretty much like people you have hung out with for years. Most of them want to have some fun and your game is fun. Just like at home.
I've experienced the same thing. I've both played and DM'd do often in the last 30+ years, i can go anywhere and do either with complete strangers and locations without blinking an eye.