PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights (original) as a DM / campaigning tool in 3.5?

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-09-2008, 04:35 PM
This game (the original NWN) is not only a paragon D&D experience, but I believe it could potentially offer a more streamlined and efficient means to carry on a campaign.

bringing cheap, old laptops (nwn demands little of hardware these days) to have a LAN gaming session. Indeed there is no reason why it would be pased any differently from *normal* games. and the DM could still elaborate upon the story in the creative and thought-provoking way they usually do...

any thoughts, comments?

Skunkape
11-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I've considered doing something along those lines. My only issue with it would be working in any odd house rules into NWN's rule system. Now, if NWN would allow you to assign damage to the avatars in the game, that would be sweet.

See, personally, I'd prefer to let physical dice rolling be combined with the game on the laptops. I think that would be really great, using the NWN game as the virtual table, while everyone plays the game as a PnP game as well.

11-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Well, you could always print battle maps from NWN bird's eye screen shots, I suppose.
I also know that Nwn is heavily modifiable--one of it's great successes as a game, although I am not sure to what extent the game can be changed. CEP is an example of some impressive community based modification by D$D vets.

1958Fury
11-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I've been an NWN player/builder/DM/server host for a number of years, and I've seen the software used in just about every way imagineable. I've seen people use the game strictly as a chat room, and I've even seen people use it to play D&D - not actually going out and killing things, but having their avatars sit around a table and play a game through chat, not much different than using a virtual table client. There's plenty of scripts for die rolling, skill checks, and the like.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/1958_Fury/Itropa%20Pics/kodt.jpg

Chat aspects aside, it's got a pretty good engine. It's closer to 3.0 than 3.5, I believe, but the toolset is extremely versatile, and with the right scripting you can pretty much make up your own house rules. Still, you can't quite convert a character directly to and from NWN - there's a few skills in there that are unique to the NWN engine, that are necessary for NWN's battle system.

nijineko
11-10-2008, 11:30 PM
had to laugh at the pic. awesome!

11-10-2008, 11:37 PM
that is a great pic.

I have even stubled upon BDSM roleplay servers, about six or so, in NWN CEP 2.1.

But it does feel a little too engine-controlled sometimes... and people campaigning or playing together will level so quickly, you may find yourself spending more time leveling a character than actually playing. another downside