PDA

View Full Version : Play by Post BRP/AD&D 1E/2E or other

SpielMeister
11-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to gauge interest in a PbP game that I'd like to run because tabletop gaming groups have been tough to find lately. I've never run a PbP game before, but I'm excited about the prospect.

I'd like to run a fantasy game using Basic Roleplaying, AD&D 1E or 2E. Characters would probably start at 1st level. I'd start off with a short adventure and then branch out from there to an ongoing campaign. I'm open to other old-school systems or D&D retro-clones (e.g., Labyrinth Lord). I'm not locked into old-school systems, though, or even the fantasy genre for that matter, even though these are my preferences; I'm open to suggestions from potential players about systems to use and even what type of game to play. My only restriction about game system, I have to say, is that it would have to be a system I know reasonably well.

I'm really hoping that at least some of the players would be the type who want to have a creative role in the campaign. Since this is a PbP, it would be pretty easy--and fun, I might add--to shift gears if the players decided to venture outside the scope of my adventure notes and take the adventure in a direction of their own choosing. In a face-to-face game this is much more difficult to pull off, but in a PbP game it is very feasible. So I'm looking forward to a PbP game that won't have me railroading players and forcing them down a single plot trail (although of course I would have a plot of sorts).

I'd like to run the game at a frequency of two posts per week, which I think is pretty reasonable and easy to keep up with. I am not the type of person to start something and then suddenly break it off and leave others hanging. As long as there are players, I will faithfully keep the campaign going. Once I commit to something, I stick to it.

So, what say you? Anyone interested? Let's toss around some ideas...

SM

Webhead
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Ooh! Labyrinth Lord is cool! Sadly, my plate is a little full, so I'll have to pass.

I recently started my first exploration into PbP games on this site via my Avatar: Scorched Earth campaign. Thus far, I am enjoying it quite a bit.

One of my suggestions if you want to keep the posting frequent is to keep your player roster small. Perhaps 3 or 4 people at the very most. The more people you have, the more "lag" you open yourself up to (assuming you are posting in a round-robin fashion).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Have never played, nor heard of Labyrinth Lord, but it does sound cool. I may be interested in your pbp game. Tell me more about your plans.

SpielMeister
11-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Have never played, nor heard of Labyrinth Lord, but it does sound cool. I may be interested in your pbp game. Tell me more about your plans.

Well, my plans are just about what I gave out in my OP. Beyond that, I can say that I am leaning toward fantasy since most (if not all) the adventures I have--both published and my own--are geared for a fantasy setting. I'd like to place the campaign in Greyhawk, since that setting was made for the 1E/2E systems and I have some source material for it. But a lot of this depends on what you, the players, want. Like I indicated, I'm open to suggestions about game systems, genre, style of game, etc. I'm also very open to letting the players take a significant creative role in the game, taking the game outside the limits of a predefined plot and making the GM shift gears. So you're on your way to investigate the abandoned evil temple but decide to stop at that lonely inn off the beaten path on the way there...so be it. Let your characters run wild (within reason, of course). That's the kind of game I prefer.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. Give me an idea of what kind of a PbP you'd be willing to commit to and we can throw around some ideas.

Der Spielmeister

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Old School dnd is fine, namely 1st edtion. I'm rusty but i do have the books. In fact, adventuring through some old classics sounds great.

I love the classic gnome illusionist/thief. So if you go 1st edition, that would most likely be my first choice. Bards and monks sound great too. I'm pretty open.

So far, i'm interested. Keep me up to date.

Webhead
11-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Have never played, nor heard of Labyrinth Lord, but it does sound cool...

It's available for free at:

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm

:cool:

Edit: Oh, and don't forget Mutant Future:

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/mutantfuture.htm

raven21
11-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I might be up for getting into a 2nd pbp game. Let me know what you decide to run.

SpielMeister
11-05-2008, 07:59 AM
At this point I'm leaning more toward LL or 1E, with 1E being at the top, for these reasons:
1) I'm shying away from 2E because there is already a 2E game about to get under way (Castle Greyhawk) which is looking to be a good game.

2) I'm more familiar with 1E than with LL. Of course, if I am outvoted on this, I'll happily do LL.

SM

SpielMeister
11-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Here's my idea for what I'd like to run:

I'd like to run a game that is centered on a fantasy boom town that has quickly sprouted up because of the discovery of a rare type of shard with potent magical properties. (Think California Gold Rush.) The town itself would be populated by a variety of personalities--just how honorable they are would be for you to find out. In addition to the opportunities for interacting with the various NPCs that live and work in the town, the nearby mines would present opportunities for adventure as well as the surrounding wilds (yes, this boom town would be out in the remote wilderness, days away from any civilized areas).

I think this type of setting would provide a lot of potential for roleplaying, NPC interaction and intense combat.

SM

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-05-2008, 10:15 AM
LL or 1st edition, both are fine with me.

SpielMeister
11-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Even though we haven't decided on a system yet, I thought I'd pass this on. It's a character generator for Labyrinth Lord:

http://truculent.org/llchar/

I haven't checked it out yet, but it might be good and helpful.

SpielMeister
11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Well, so far we have only one player--Thoth Amon--who seems to be on board completely. If I get at least one other player we could get this started. Each player could play two characters, if desired, which would amount to 4 characters total--enough for a game. I might try to do some recruiting over on Dragonsfoot and Goblinoid, so sit tight and we might be off to adventure soon.

SpielMeister
11-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Hello all,

I plan to run this game over on www.myth-weavers.com. They're designed strictly for PbP games and their dice roller looks pretty awesome. My handle over there is Hugo. I just started a thread called AD&D 1E PbP game in the Game Advertisements forum, so you should head over there, let me know who you are, and start discussing character ideas and so forth. Hope to see you there! http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

SM

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-09-2008, 05:58 PM
yo im down with 1/2e rules. what would you use for pbp? OpenRPG?
im still trying to figure out how to use that stuff.
also what 'realm' would this game be in? levels?

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-09-2008, 05:59 PM
OH OOPS! lol. I completely overlooked your last post. sorry.

SpielMeister
11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
yo im down with 1/2e rules. what would you use for pbp? OpenRPG?
im still trying to figure out how to use that stuff.
also what 'realm' would this game be in? levels?

I plan to run the game in Greyhawk. PCs will be at 1st level. Once I get enough players, I plan to create a game forum over on myth-weavers.com and post house rules, character gen. guidelines, and other info. If you're interested, head on over there, let me know who you are, and maybe pretty soon we can get started. See above for where on myth-weavers.com the thread is located.

SpielMeister
11-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Just an update...I plan to use OSRIC because it is just like 1E and is available for free, so those who don't have the 1E books can have the rules.

SpielMeister
11-10-2008, 08:02 PM
For anyone interested, the game (located at myth-weavers.com) is called "Boom Town Bash," so type that in the search field to find the forum. You can also get there just by following this link:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/games.php?gameid=3037

Character creation guidelines are in the "Characters" forum, and house rules are in the--what did I name it? oh yeah-- the "House Rules" forum.http://www.myth-weavers.com/images/smilies/orcs/orc2.gif

Use the OSRIC rules for character creation. Once people get characters created, we'll get started--provided we have at least three players.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Very cool. I'll check in tomorrow. Sadly, i have a major paper to complete tonight. Sucks for me.

cplmac
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Bummer, I was hoping that this was going to take place on this site and be using the 2E system. Alas, I will be unable to join in over on the other site. Perhaps you can post the game's progress on here for those of us that aren't able to participate.

xxpeggyxsuexx
01-29-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm very new, but willing to learn. You can reach me on here or email me at eladarlight68@aol.com at any time. I'm very interested in this and would love to be a part of it.:D

SpielMeister
01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm very new, but willing to learn. You can reach me on here or email me at eladarlight68@aol.com at any time. I'm very interested in this and would love to be a part of it.:D

Hi,

I've made a thread called "Waiting List" in the "Characters" board. These can be found at the myth-weavers link posted in an earlier post above. The game is full right now, but if you like, post your name in the waiting list thread and I'll contact you if/when I can get you in the game. The way PbP games have turnover, this could happen any time.

Thanks for your interest.