PDA

View Full Version : The Shackled City Adventure Path

RAMBOWOLF
11-02-2006, 05:31 PM
I have this book on order. Has anyone here played this one?
The Shackled City Adventure Path
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0977007103.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65595148_.jpg

MegatonSunder
02-01-2007, 08:03 PM
My name is Jon, and I am a Shackled City junkie.

I moved to Seattle in September 2004, and found a group of gamers very shortly afterward. In November 2004, we started the SCAP. Here we are 2 years and 2 months later, and we're getting into the later stages. At our next session, the group is probably going to complete the 8th of 12 adventures, and reach 15th level.

Two of the original members are still there, and the group has gone from as low as 3 members to as high as 7. Right now there are 6.

Duric, the Dwarven Cleric/Fist of Dumathoin
Lockerbie, the Human Wizard/Mage of the Arcane Order
Jobeth, the Gnome Cleric
Kerdag, the Dwarven Rogue
Haro, the Elven Fighter/Champion of Corellion
Yoshiko, the Shugenja

It's been a wild ride. We've taken month-long breaks, it's been my wife's introduction to D&D (She plays Jobeth), I'm made life-long friends, it's introduced me to Meetup.com, and it's the first time I've even run an entire campaign such as this. I recommend it to everyone, player or DM.

I've got all the Dungeon magazine issues of the next Adventure Path, The Age of Worms, and I will have the issues of the third AP, which is coming out now. I think my next campaign is going to be something else though. Perhaps Wolfgang Baur's Steam & Brass. It's got some interesting ideas in it, and it definitely shakes things up but being about as non-linear as you can get.

I'd be glad to talk about other parts of this campaign if anyone's interested.

Seattle Meetup Organizer

gdmcbride
02-02-2007, 04:52 AM
I have not played it but I own it and have read it. It is a great campaign but it needs IMHO a little work to be really great.

Spoiler Space

Read no further if you intend to play

1. Adimarchus and the Cagewrights need a stronger connection. Perhaps the Cagewrights are trying to free Adimarchus in order to unleash the Demon Prince of Madness upon the Prime Material. Perhaps they seek to use his essence to transform themselves into immortals. Whatever you choose, anything is better than the adventure as written ...

2. Don't have Orbius appear at the end of the first chapter and wisk the kid away. It is the height of cheese to steal the PCs goal right from under their nose by an undefeatable super PC.

3. Emphasize Jil's redemption story. Make her a love interest to one of the PCs.

4. Have Vhalantru be a patron of the PCs. Let the noble Vhalantru lead them toward the dark side all the while seeming to be their greatest friend and supporter. Be sure to work in that Palpatine-esque line "I will watch your career with great interest, young jedi..."

5. Do everything you can to make the PCs love Cauldron and feel like this city is really their home. If they care, they'll really feel it when you burn it to the ground.

But these minor notes aside, you've made a great purchase. That is one hell of an adventure...

Gary

MortonStromgal
10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
My name is Jon, and I am a Shackled City junkie.

I moved to Seattle in September 2004, and found a group of gamers very shortly afterward. In November 2004, we started the SCAP. Here we are 2 years and 2 months later, and we're getting into the later stages. At our next session, the group is probably going to complete the 8th of 12 adventures, and reach 15th level.

Two of the original members are still there, and the group has gone from as low as 3 members to as high as 7. Right now there are 6.

Duric, the Dwarven Cleric/Fist of Dumathoin
Lockerbie, the Human Wizard/Mage of the Arcane Order
Jobeth, the Gnome Cleric
Kerdag, the Dwarven Rogue
Haro, the Elven Fighter/Champion of Corellion
Yoshiko, the Shugenja

It's been a wild ride. We've taken month-long breaks, it's been my wife's introduction to D&D (She plays Jobeth), I'm made life-long friends, it's introduced me to Meetup.com, and it's the first time I've even run an entire campaign such as this. I recommend it to everyone, player or DM.

That rocks jon!
My wife started her first time DMing with our casual group using Shackled City. It was a blast at leased as far as we've gone which really isnt that far. We finished adventure 1 though :)

rabkala
10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I used several parts of the path within my game. Changing a few things for fit and such, they worked well. I like most of it, but I have never run any of the paths from start to finish as written. I think I liked age of worms better and used much more from that path.

kiehtan
11-02-2007, 07:51 AM
A fantastic campaign. I set mine in Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia. The party just tried to save Alec, but teh demon slaughtered him in two rounds.

3. Emphasize Jil's redemption story. Make her a love interest to one of the PCs.

(I had Jill on the path to becoming a love interest with a party member, then he cut killed in a solo adventure Jill set himout on (for his prestige class).

4. Have Vhalantru be a patron of the PCs. Let the noble Vhalantru lead them toward the dark side all the while seeming to be their greatest friend and supporter. Be sure to work in that Palpatine-esque line "I will watch your career with great interest, young jedi..."

(Again thwarted, emperor Vhalantru's young apprentice (a cleric) went off to law school).