PDA

View Full Version : You're favorite memories.

Janisy
10-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Here let's post some favorite memories about roleplaying. In game or outside about the game. Here are some of mine:

The first time I ever laid eyes on D&D I was about seven. Me and my cousin found my aunt and uncles (his parents) Advanced Box set, and we were instantly hooked on the pictures (we grew up in a high fantasy family). After that we wanted to play for so long but they never let us and I could never find the game. Then one day when I was 13 I came across the Basic Box set for 3.5e in a bookstore, and begged my mom for it. After that, I took it home and me and my friend John played that sample adventure over and over again all night.

Another nice memory is the first time we really really ROLEPLAYED. Of course, everytime you play games you roleplay. But the first time we really got into it. We were playing the Cult of the Dragon box set, and we had just gotten to the Dragon Pyraxus. My character was an elven mage and when that dragon attacked, we were the characters. None of us paid any heed to anything else, we were so involved. Most of the time we get a bit hesitant to roleplay battle crys and such because most of us are quiet people, but through out that battle we were screaming orders at each other and we WERE fighting that dragon. At that moment I learned why people played.

gdmcbride
10-31-2008, 01:35 AM
I have a lot of great memories of roleplaying.

I remember at the tender age of twelve, having a light bulb over head moment when I really got was roleplaying could do. It happened to me at Origins (then a travelling convention) in Dallas Market Hall playing a Champions game. I was Foxbat. I had no idea what all these numbers meant. And it was all so thrilling. Great times.

I remember the first time I really ran a game and it went well and we finished it. I was running Top Secret. The agents stormed an island, shot up the base, killed a henchman, found the plans and snuck back to their waiting boats to cut out across the open water and rendezvous with a submarine. Great times.

I remember the first time I ran a campaign that lasted for years and people got into it. It was in college -- 'The Underdark Campaign'. It ran for five years and had groupies and spin offs and even a reunion game years later. Great times.

I remember the first time I played in a game where I was so attached to my character that I was incredibly saddened by his loss. We had played pirates for more than five years. You would think I would be tired of my mad Eisen master gunner. But boy was I sad to see Kessler go when that campaign ended. Great times.

I also remember the great moment just a few weeks ago when I had a player stand up and announce in no uncertain terms that the Duchy of Dunharrow once more had a duke. And I bought it. I totally believed him. Great times.

But there are more great moments to come, I'm certain of it. In a hobby as powerful, engrossing and versatile as roleplaying, I have no doubt that more lie ahead.

Great times.

Gary

Kalanth
10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Memories...

Well, there was the one time I had a character that I cared about and he managed to stay alive for an enitre two year stretch. Wiker, my first cleric, was both a lover and swashbuckling fighter in a campaign set in Narnia. It was a second edition game and my cleric worked hand in hand with the bard in the party as we both worshipped the same ideals.

At one point while sailing the high seas we were borded by pirates. My companion, Hauk, and I quickly sprang into action. I was busy warping the wood in the bow of the bording ship and creating a large volume of water on the deck while the bard was fending off the pirates as they tried to stop me. There were others in our party but I can't remember what they were doing, honestly.

The pirates eventually pressed us back to the stern of the ship and that was where the dice started to fall in our favor. Taking down the two pirates directly before us we lept onto the banister high above the deck. With blades at the ready we each flipped end over end and landed on the deck safely and cut down the enemies before us, thanks to a series of rolls that were between 18 - 20. As the pirate ship sank next to us we finished off the pirates that attacked us. Victory was ours, until we noticed we were sinking too. I had enough spells left to strengthen the wood on our ship and destroy as much water that had poured in as I could. We managed to limp to safe harbor and repair the vessel. The campaign lasted another year after that, but really that fight was the stand out moment in the entire campaign.

GoddessGood
10-31-2008, 09:23 AM
My first character playing exalted was a Twilight caste healer/sorceror/crafter/lord high poobah (out of necessity, I swear). Her one driving goal in the entire world was to exact revenge on the people responsible for the raid on her village and the death of her family. She killed the minions they sent, then one by one she killed several powerful commanders (Abyssal exalts) of the army. After a year of play and during a final, climactic battle with the Deathlord (think Lych king) she stood upon a parapet of the fortress the party defended, spoke the names of her dead family, expended every last remaining drop of her power to fuel the arrow and sent it straight into the heart of the dread king. She may not have killed him entirely by herself, but she struck the final blow. As I remember, the party held back so she could do so.

Another favorite memory I've actually told here before. It was the time a Zenith caste healer/fighter of mine was knocked off the ship in a sea battle with a party of elemental exalts, crawled his way back aboard ship, took off his wet cloak, picked up a broom stick and proceeded to beat the tar out of the sorceress and turn the fight back in our favor. Hooray for improvised weapons!

There was one of the few games in my early rpging career where I was actually playing instead of GMing. I played a character I called Merlin in a dark/modern homebrew setting partially inspired by Ravenloft and the Blade movie. My NPC teammate, Red, and I chased a vampire into a rundown (but still operating) hospital. We didn't know that he'd been keeping a ghoul army on the upper floors of the building. And I, being 13 or 14, didn't understand that if I shot a ghoul in the back with a high-powered weapon while he was on top of my teammate that I would also kill my teammate.

Let's just say, when Red "came back" ... I was about as happy to see him as he was to see me.

Webhead
10-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Summer of '96. After discovering the joy of RPGs about a year earlier, I learned of the Star Wars RPG and a friend and I (who were huge Star Wars fans) endeavored to get in on that action. I had recently purchased the Gamemaster Handbook (the first RPG book I ever bought) but would not be able to obtain the core rule book until several months later. We decided that we wouldn't let a lack of rules stop us from playing and so, my friend created his first Star Wars character, Andark Pagai, and I GMed my first Star Wars campaign.

When school let out for summer, I went to stay at the family home in another city. Because I was about 2 hours drive away, we decided that we would have to play over the phone (at the time, neither of us had a computer in our households and my understanding of this strange, new thing called "the internet" was limited). Thankfully, those phone calls weren't long distance, so we could get away with gaming for hours on end with no extra cost.

For about 3 to 4 nights a week, 3 to 5 hours at a stretch, we role played. No dice were rolled, no arguements arose, just pure stimulus/response role play. Andark began as a rookie Rebel starpilot recruit, joining a team of young, promising pilots to form a squadron for special, high-risk missions. I fully fleshed out the cast of supporting characters and there developed a great deal of camraderie between them. Each of them was a distinct character with his/her own personalities, strengths and weaknesses. I still remember several of their names. We played through their early years as they bonded and shaped up into top-notch X-Wing pilots. A little bit of a love story evolved in the background between Andark and one of his female wing mates. The campaign ended on a bitter sweet note, with the group accepting a suicide mission that no one else was qualified to take. They embarked on the assignment and performed spectacularly, but ultimately, they had to give their lives to ensure that the mission would succeed. The whole thing ended with a very somber funeral in honor of their squadron whose actions played a crucial role in keeping the Rebellion's operations from being completely snuffed out by the Empire.

A short time later, after school had started up again, we began getting together for weekend sleep-overs (though we rarely "slept") where I ran a second Star Wars campaign and he created his second character, Olos Nah.

Olos Nah began his adventures as a fringer, operating an independant transport occasionally doing more and more odd jobs for the Rebel Alliance. Eventually, he started working exclusively for them and, on one particularly dangerous mission, he and his ship were captured and taken aboard a Star Destroyer. During his imprisonment, one of the Emperor's inquisitors discovered that he had latent Force-potential and he was delivered to the Emperor himself. There he was tortured and trained to be one of the Emperor's dark apprentices and was eventually given command of a Star Destroyer of his own. Then, during one assignment, as his forcers were wiping out an installation full of Rebels, he had a moment of regret. He eventually devised a plan to escape the Empire and shun the Dark Side, fleeing to join the Rebellion again. Eventually, he faced Darth Vader and was struck down, refusing to succumb again to the influence of the Dark Side.

Very fond memories. Some of the deepest and most moving role play I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

frank634
10-31-2008, 11:14 AM
When I started seriously playing D&D, i was a freshmen in high school. We had a group that met weekly. After a couple years, we would have two annual events to go along with our weekly meetings.

First, we would have the D&D feast. This started as a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but later became very interesting, and very fancy dinners. Each of us in turn would make the feast. It was a lot of fun (and filling).

The other thing we did was the D&D all nighter. 24 streight hours of gaming, and playing the same campaign. By the end of it, it was difficult to even lift the dice to roll them.

The good old days.

wbrandel
10-31-2008, 03:18 PM
I remember how I was inducted into the world of RPGs. My brother and his friends brought home a box that said Dungeons & Dragons. for almost 2 years I watched them play this game with the funny dice. Then (after bugging my brother) they let me play a game with them on the weekends. 28 years later I am still playing. there was nothing like the excitement of rolling a to hit or a save, expectially when the DM uttered the words "Save or Die".

tesral
11-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Oh man, I hate these subjects. How do I pick? The moments of total in characterless? The 48 hour session? The evenings of joy with good friends.

Guys, I can't pick. 33 years of good memories with the game, they are all wonderful.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Oh man, I hate these subjects. How do I pick? The moments of total in characterless? The 48 hour session? The evenings of joy with good friends.

Guys, I can't pick. 33 years of good memories with the game, they are all wonderful.
Hey tesral, start in the beginning. That's what i plan to do tomorrow when i respond to this post. You and i have alot of good memories seeing as how we've both been playing for over 30 years, known each other for over 5000 years(explained on another thread), and are both Liches(also explained on another thread). Gotta love the inside jokes.

A teaser for tomorrows post to come... B1: In Search of the Unknown: Death and dismemberment, not necessarily in that order, with Rot Grubs and a nasty Carrien Crawler.

Got anyone curious? Good! Stay tuned for the details to come.

Btw Janisy, great thread you started here. I've been remembering fondly of many an experience with DnD in my 30 + years of playing. Thanks for initiating this thead.

Janisy
11-01-2008, 10:42 AM
No problem. Seemed like this thread was missing.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Okay, I dont remember my fighters name but while adventuring, while walking through a doorway, a dang Carrien Crawler stung me from above. This event effected the way i played DnD for many years to come. How? From then on, i would either stab the ceiling with sword or spear before entering every room. I remember even having a special helmet with spike on top just for those little nasties that would threaten us from above. LOL

When it came to Rot Grubs, i learned through decapitation, that one should not dig through garbage, rotting stuff, and worse, when going after shiny objects. My fellow party members over reacted and i had my arm amputated by sword chop. I made my save and lived, and forever wore a shield strapped to my left side while swinging a sword with my right. Very cool experience with great memories. I forgot the characters name but i do remember that he lived to about 10th level(fighter) before retiring.

Yep, both events happend to the same fighter in the same module. I believe it was B1: In Search of the Unknown. Havent played it since its initial release, but would love to play it again one day. My nephew is within a year of playing his 1st DnD game, i believe it will actually be B1. Cant wait!

Game on!

tesral
11-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Reaching far into the wayback machine. Winter of 76-77. I have just discovered the game and introduced it to the two girls I hung out with. (One of which I would marry). I lot of my war gaming buddies had gotten into D&D as well, and we chased all over town playing. It was the winter of the great snow. Simply getting to a game was an adventure.

There was something mystical about playing in a cozy apartment with the wind howling outside. You knew that no one was going anywhere, work tomorrow or home that night. A foot of snow on the ground already and more coming down as we sat. I would end up sleeping on the couch, if we slept at all. We would play and talk long into the wee hours of the night.

The Characters? Many are the founding NPCs of my long campaign. Many are forgotten. It wasn't the characters that mattered nearly as much as the time and the people at the time. Mystic, it really was a magical time in my life.

The game itself was loose the rules few and the interpretation depended heavily on the DM. No dozen rulebooks to pull things from. Our best tool was whole cloth.

Imagine if you will five good friends gathered around the tables, the wind shaking the windows, the cars are reduced to snowy mounds, but it's Friday night and we don't care. We gather in the candlelight telling tales of magic and mystery, weaving out our own fables and myths as the hours slowly pass into forever. Names that we make into our own Legends, Coran and Li'ona, Sharla and Myatan. Places of mystery and wonder, the Great Tree of Calaborlin, Seahaven, Woodmanor, the Valley of the Ancients.

Alas I am the lonely ghost outside that window who can only look into the warmth of the fellowship and remember.

Webhead
11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
...The game itself was loose the rules few and the interpretation depended heavily on the DM. No dozen rulebooks to pull things from. Our best tool was whole cloth...

I miss that sense of innocence and wonder as well. In the early days, the most important thing was our imagination.

upidstay
11-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I remember going to the toy store to buy my first Basic Set with money I got for my 9th birthday. That was in 1979. Still have a couple of the dice too. Remember they came with a crayon, you had to color in the numbers yourself? Mine were a light blue with a red crayon.

Raiding the armory in "The Keep on the Borderlands". Buying the DM's Guide when 1st ed hit the stores. Then buying every book TSR ever published. Going to my first convention, held in a VFW hall somewhere, I think. All of the people I've met over the years. One of my best friends in the world I met through D+D. Made alot of friends across the gaming table over the 30+ years I've been playing. Don't have alot of time to play much these days, but I still enjoy it.

Great thread!!

MortonStromgal
11-05-2008, 05:14 PM
The end of my first real finish to campaign I played in was for Traveller: The New Era. I was playing a kinda mad scientist and I had secretly been experimenting with Virus. We we making a small bandit king upset so he decided to attack our planet. The GM later admitted he had planed to just wipe us all out but decided to let the dice fall and just make the odds impossible. So it was our 1 mechant ship defending our home world vs a small fleet (30+ ships), thats when I our captain (another PC) about my little home made virus and suggested we disengage the coms from the rest of the computers and let me infect the coms with it. The GM let us role with it and rolled a bunch of times. It took out most of the fleet to his surprise and because their computers were all attached it shut down those ships. Chaos insued and we put up a fight eventually we were dead in the water with just us and one of the big battleships left. Our Engineer informed all of us that we had enough power for lifesupport or a few min of thrusters... Captain said "ramming speed"... we went out in a blaze of glory!

GoddessGood
11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Last session was pretty awesome :) It culminated in a climactic battle between two of the players and one member of the evil duo they were trying to neutralize. Through cooperation and strategy they managed to take him down. As he lay dying, one of the players pulls off the enemy's helmet and discovers that the man was, in fact, his brother whom he thought killed in a war years ago. Though he had very little ability, he tried desperately to save the man he'd been trying to kill only seconds before ... to no avail.

The player himself, though he set this plot twist up with me ahead of time, was utterly immersed in it. I called the game shortly thereafter because he'd taken on a somber mood and I knew I wouldn't get much more out of him that night (that, and it was already 1:30 a.m.):lol:. I just love it when you get so deep into a character that you feel what they feel.

Webhead
11-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Last session was pretty awesome :) It culminated in a climactic battle between two of the players and one member of the evil duo they were trying to neutralize. Through cooperation and strategy they managed to take him down. As he lay dying, one of the players pulls off the enemy's helmet and discovers that the man was, in fact, his brother whom he thought killed in a war years ago. Though he had very little ability, he tried desperately to save the man he'd been trying to kill only seconds before ... to no avail.

The player himself, though he set this plot twist up with me ahead of time, was utterly immersed in it. I called the game shortly thereafter because he'd taken on a somber mood and I knew I wouldn't get much more out of him that night (that, and it was already 1:30 a.m.):lol:. I just love it when you get so deep into a character that you feel what they feel.

One word: awesome! :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-20-2008, 11:09 PM
GoddessGood` "I just love it when you get so deep into a character that you feel what they feel."

That's what made early dnd so great: getting into the heads and hearts of characters, but i digress.

Anyways, glad your game was awesome!

Webhead
11-21-2008, 10:19 AM
GoddessGood` "I just love it when you get so deep into a character that you feel what they feel."

That's what made early dnd so great: getting into the heads and hearts of characters, but i digress.

Anyways, glad your game was awesome!

Indeed, that's what attracted me to role playing in the first place.

MortonStromgal
11-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Speaking of getting into character, I wasn't there for this one but the guys I played Shadowrun with had gone through a long campaign including at leased one of them who had a kid. Well the BBEG kidnaps the kid at some point near the end and takes off in a helicopter. One of the PCs with a BFG unloads on the helicopter as it tries to fly off. Without missing a beat the father says "I chop his head off" pointing to the other PCs who then protests as to why would he attack him to which he replys "You just killed my child!"... The helicopter crashed and the guy with the BFG died.

1958Fury
11-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Today I played D&D 4e for the first time. My character is an archer-style Eladrin Ranger, and it was a fair-sized group, so I spent most of the time in the back launching arrows. I never even took any damage. For the most part, I didn't contribute much besides wearing a few enemies down a bit.

...until the very end, when I made the killing blow on the final boss. I had saved my Daily power until the final battle, and I was still hesitant to use it because our positions meant I had to fire an arrow through a cloud of something-or-other that lowered our attack rolls. But I didn't think I'd have another chance to use it, so I gave it a shot. And rolled a nat 20. He was already bloodied from everybody else, so it wasn't like I killed him all by myself, but it was still a rush.

It was the only crit I rolled today; it was so sweet that it happened to be on my most powerful attack.

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Imagine if you will five good friends gathered around the tables, the wind shaking the windows, the cars are reduced to snowy mounds, but it's Friday night and we don't care. We gather in the candlelight telling tales of magic and mystery, weaving out our own fables and myths as the hours slowly pass into forever. Names that we make into our own Legends, Coran and Li'ona, Sharla and Myatan. Places of mystery and wonder, the Great Tree of Calaborlin, Seahaven, Woodmanor, the Valley of the Ancients.

Alas I am the lonely ghost outside that window who can only look into the warmth of the fellowship and remember.

Wow, all of your stories are so moving --some of them so nostalgic and almost lamenting that i feel like crying. thank you all for sharing your beautiful memories!

Zig
11-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Three quickly come to mind

our DM had run a very long term weekly game for a year and a half, the characters had been contracted (enslaved) by a shady character who had saved them from certan distruction to run around all over the world hunting down and picking up various magic items (we were told he would never ask us to do anything that would be against our morals or it would breech the contract).

There was only one item left and we were told we would be released from our contract when he had it in his hands. It was in a cave guarded by an Angel. only the paladin could enter without being shredded... the paladin asked for the big rectangle box but was refused, everyone was so keyed up to find out what was going to happen with the end of the campaign, and eager to get out of the contract, so the paladin attacked the angel, killed it, and brought the box to the shady character... the palidin had to open the box..

inside was a pitchfork, the shady character picks it up returns to his natural form as a devil, and says "thank you palidin or should I say former paladin, now I believe I'll use this to open the gates of hell and attempt to conqurer this world, and since you've given me all the arcane items that could have ever destroyed or impeeded me I think I'll succeed." and went poof in a puff of brimstone. saving the world from the legions of hell took another year and a half...

the next was the worst Shadowrun GM of all time. the characters had to steal an item from the top floor of a corporation, (we were sent there by some shaman with a bunch of dogs... I think it may have been a published adventure) we managed to get to the top floor, illusions made it look like a rocky desert... one character peeked over a dune and yelled "ITS A DRA.." before he could finish the sentance the dragon swooped over the dune and after one round of <wing buffet, wing buffet, claw, claw, claw, claw, tail sweep, bite, breath fire> all the characters were dead. he said "well you were a little low level for this, and you didnt prepair much, (IE it was our fault) we could try it again if you want..." in a chorus we said "no" and that was the last we ever saw of him... any of us will still crack up if some one says "ITS A DRA.."

last one was a champions game... acutally two seperate games. we were at a convention, I was running a character that was kind of a gun toting ruthless super-bounty hunter, there was another champs game going on about 20 ft from us but it was a 600pt per character game (our 350pt characters were pecks in compairison).

in our game after a lot of lead up and a number of minor combats the villians poisoned us with some kind of super poison that there was only one antidote for. we quested for the antidote while we were slowly dieing and went to the villians lair, when we got there the place was mostly deserted, except for a hand full of legendary superheroes, one of which was holding the vial...

turned out in the 600pt game the same villians had rounded up all of the other super's NPC's and poisoned them with the same poison. There was only enough antidote to save either the heroes or the NPC's of the 600 pt characters. the games were merged and once we were all sitting at the same table, a superman type clone from their group and the biggest goodie good guy from ours were debating on how we could save everyone.

I passed the note to the GM that I was using my "find weakness" ability on the kalel clone. my selfesh, self centered, and ruthless merc then walked up to the discussion, used "fast draw" and pulled out his biggest meanest one charge gun and promptly shot the superman clone in the head, then grabbed and started chugging the antidote. LOL chaos ensued, I was KO'ed almost instantly, and nearly killed.

In the end I had managed to scarf enough antidote to survive, and then managed to escape the stronghold guards watching over me at the hospital. I dont think all the NPC's or lower level heroes were so lucky. some of the legendary supers exchanged their (now dead) "npc" disad points for "hunts" and "hatred of" my character (lol) After that, my character had become a sort of legend at the cons, and every year there was always someone who wanted to run a game based on the surviving heroes hunting me down.

ahh... good times, good times.

Zig
11-24-2008, 08:23 AM
ooh ooh almost forgot the time one D&D 20th lev character had caught lycanthropy, he won a wish from a deck and wished that he had total control of his shifting power, he became the total bad ass of the group and loved being arrogent and showing off etc... the DM had just gotten the 2e book that had the overbearing rules and we were after some kind of Kobold king, at some point we set off some kind of trap (dont remember now) and were swarmed by hundreds of Kobolds, most of us ran like hell but the werewolf guy stayed to hold em off.. after all, the kobolds didnt have silver or +1 weapons... they managed to overbear him, had him on the ground (no way for him to get up) and were stabbing him with poisoned daggers repeatedly to no avail until one of em yelled "get the magic dagger!!!" LOL yes... the most bad assed character we had ever seen was killed by a kobold with a +1dagger.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-24-2008, 12:47 PM
ooh ooh almost forgot the time one D&D 20th lev character had caught lycanthropy, he won a wish from a deck and wished that he had total control of his shifting power, he became the total bad ass of the group and loved being arrogent and showing off etc... the DM had just gotten the 2e book that had the overbearing rules and we were after some kind of Kobold king, at some point we set off some kind of trap (dont remember now) and were swarmed by hundreds of Kobolds, most of us ran like hell but the werewolf guy stayed to hold em off.. after all, the kobolds didnt have silver or +1 weapons... they managed to overbear him, had him on the ground (no way for him to get up) and were stabbing him with poisoned daggers repeatedly to no avail until one of em yelled "get the magic dagger!!!" LOL yes... the most bad assed character we had ever seen was killed by a kobold with a +1dagger.
That's great and definitely memorable. I'd have loved to see the expression on the players face when he heard 'get the magic dagger.'

Webhead
11-24-2008, 02:39 PM
That's great and definitely memorable. I'd have loved to see the expression on the players face when he heard 'get the magic dagger.'

Very funny. Reminds me of a great Deadlands campaign story (not a game I was in, but a very famous moment from another group):

Earlier in the campaign, the PCs had to fight off a bunch of special zombies that could only be completely destroyed by performing a ritual while sacrificing a small fowl.

A while later, the party encounters a batch of (unknown to them) "regular" walking dead which prompts one of the PCs to make the following remark:

PC: "I've seen this before! Somebody get a chicken!"

Webhead
11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Another famously memorable Deadlands moment:

The PCs had discovered that a nest of vampires had built a haven in an abandoned coal mine. Trying to figure out how to best guarantee that the vampires are destroyed, they settle on a plan to have one of the PCs guide a dynamite-laden mule to the heart of the mines and set it off. The plan succeeds with a huge explosion and the earth shakes as thousands of tons of the mountain come crushing down on anything and everything in the mines. After things settle down a bit, the player whose character sacrificed himself turns to the GM and says, "Wait a minute...don't you have to make a roll to see if I come back from the dead or something?"

GoddessGood
11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I love the fun lines :lol:

A player in my last group was on a hunt for a sacred animal to sacrifice. Any sacred animal ... he didn't really have a lot of guidance with this one. Being in an arctic climate he finds a colony of fur seals. In the middle of the colony, were the mother seals are, is a white baby fur seal. He figures this is sacred enough. So he manages to wade into the colony and gets near the baby area when the seals start attacking him. In Exalted, you can channel your virtues (Compassion, Conviction, Valor and Temperance) to add to your rolls. The player wanted to run fast and get in and out of the colony quickly, and at that time uttered one of my more favorite lines to this point:

"Can I use my Compassion? I don't want to hurt anyone but this baby!"

And later on, same game but different player:

"My eyes are filled with passion and flame! But ... not the burning kind."

In another group completely:

Player 1 (female): "Have you no scruples?"
Player 2 (male) to Player 3 (male): "Heh, dude. She wants to see your scruples."
Player 3: "What are scruples?"
Player 2: "Y'know. Those things that men have and women don't."
Player 1: *fumes*

MortonStromgal
11-24-2008, 06:13 PM
PC1 - "Well shoot none of us know how to pick the lock?"
PC2 - *Walks up to the door and duck tapes a hand grenade to it*
PC1 - "What are you doing man!"
PC2 - "Opening the door."
PC1 - "Uhh, I don't know about that man, uncontrolled explosions make me nervous"

Webhead
11-24-2008, 09:41 PM
From a Deadlands: Hell on Earth campaign I ran several years ago (which I may have already quoted on the boards at some point, I forget):

The two PCs (named "Slim" and "Grim") we walking across the open wasteland along the half-buried remains of an old road. On the horizon they see clouds of dust and hear the faint rumbling of engines. Slim, ever the stealthy one, decides to get off the road and take cover in some nearby underbrush. Grim (a seven-foot, 400 pound musclebound mutant), undaunted, decides he wants to find out who these guys are and plants himself and his two belt-fed machineguns in the middle of the road.

A few minutes later, a half dozen bikers with black hats on roll up, see Grim and coast to a halt a short ways away. The leader looks Grim up and down searching for a handle on the moment when Grim speaks.

Grim: "Sorry. Road's closed."

Gang Leader: "Why's that?"

Grim: "'Cause I'm standing in it."

After a momentary pause to try to get the drop on Grim, the bikers all reach for their guns and we roll initiative. Grim gets really lucky on initiative and his skill rolls and in the first round, before even a single biker gets off a shot, Grim mows them all down with his machine guns.

Slim, emerging from hiding and a little awe-stricken, looks at Grim.

Grim: "They were wearing barretts. All barretts must die."

wolff96
12-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Two quick ones and one that requires more explanation...

When I first started gaming, one of my first characters was a Dwarf. Yes, just a Dwarf, I'm that old. :biggrin: Anyway, we rolled 3d6 in order for stats, so while he was strong and tough, he was so dumb that the concept of "doorknob" was well beyond him. I inadvertently wrecked the DM's plans when I went after a well-known (and secretly evil) wizard after he insulted us. (Bonus points: The insult had to be explained to my Dwarf.)

On sheer dumb luck, dwarven toughness, and some really hot dice, I managed to drive away the (much higher) level wizard, shedding his spells like water and head-butting my way through his defenses. After the fact, his secret dungeons and evil experiments were found and my idiotic Dwarf was the unlikely hero of the town.

----------------------------

One of the first games I ever ran, I had two famous mis-statements...

"You come across a rubber-strewn foyer." (Should have been rubble.)
One of the players, without missing a beat, says "Must have been a hell of a party..."

The party is tracking a relatively young black dragon. They find it's lair and are negotiating an underwater tunnel when the dragon swoops in, cloaks them in darkness, and begins taunting them. There is a LOT of tension and fear around the table. Then I said: "The black dragon chuckles and says..."
One of the players immediately pipes up with "The black dragon's name is Chuckles?!" ...and all hope of a frightening encounter is gone. But it was funny!

----------------------------

In another game, we were wanted by corrupt officials in a particular town. So the sheriff came out with a large crew of thieves, brigands, and ne'er-do-wells as his 'deputies' to arrest us. A few fireballs and a chain-lightening later, they were all dead or fleeing.

The party rogue slips out (in disguise) and catches up to the sheriff. Claiming to represent some powerful bounty hunters, he offers to bring the sheriff the party's heads in exchange for an introduction to 'the real powers in the town'.

After the sheriff agreed and the rogue explained the plan to the rest of us, we took the sheriff's own dead men, disguised their heads magically and mundanely as our own, and then went into town in disguise.

Our silver-tongued rogue was SO slick that not only did we track down the folks who wanted us dead, we got paid the bounty on our own heads!

I will never forget that night and the sheer creativity and audacity of his plan! :lol:

Webhead
12-03-2008, 02:25 PM
...The party is tracking a relatively young black dragon. They find it's lair and are negotiating an underwater tunnel when the dragon swoops in, cloaks them in darkness, and begins taunting them. There is a LOT of tension and fear around the table. Then I said: "The black dragon chuckles and says..."
One of the players immediately pipes up with "The black dragon's name is Chuckles?!" ...and all hope of a frightening encounter is gone. But it was funny!...

Reminds me of a classic moment from one of our campaigns.

The party was somewhere around 10th level at the time. One of the PCs, a cunning Rogue/Lasher ends up acquiring an intelligent war griffon as a companion/mount. Upon first joining up with the creature, he asks its name upon which the griffon (GM) replies, "Toby". None of the other PCs were present to make comment, so we (as players) kept to ourselves. Feeling a potential loss of pride riding a griffon named "Toby" into battle, he decidedly christens the beast "Redfeather" in honor of his crimson plumage. Thus, when the party first encounters his new companion, we only are made to know him by that name (as players, we were all chomping at the bit to get ahold of his real name IC).

Several adventures later, as the group is laying out the battle plans for our latest assault, the Rogue (always the clever strategist) begins issuing the orders for the individual roles that we were each to take. At that point he turns to his role in the battle and says, "And then, I will come in from the South and fly over their outer wall on Toby...er, I mean Redfeather...REDFEATHER!!!"

In the instant of his hesitation after saying "Toby", all the players at the table turned to look at him in unison and said, "TOBY? Your griffon's name is TOBY?". The look on his face was priceless. At that point, he just slumped back in his chair in defeat. He knew it was hopeless. The charade had been diffused and now he would have to endure the party's eternal torment and ridicule at the name of "Toby the War Griffon". He gave a disgusted look at the GM for having the gall to give him a war griffon with such a name.

:rofl:

tesral
12-03-2008, 02:48 PM
The party is tracking a relatively young black dragon. They find it's lair and are negotiating an underwater tunnel when the dragon swoops in, cloaks them in darkness, and begins taunting them. There is a LOT of tension and fear around the table. Then I said: "The black dragon chuckles and says..."
One of the players immediately pipes up with "The black dragon's name is Chuckles?!" ...and all hope of a frightening encounter is gone. But it was funny!

Humor is forever the death of ternsion. I have one player who finds humor in everything, so I don't even try, much.

All funny as hell. Toby the War Griffin. I like stuff with off beat names.

My one thief that went by "Knuckler Jones". He was too ashamed to admit that his real name was Sebastian Percival Jones. What thief tough guy named "Percival" gets any respect?

Webhead
12-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Humor is forever the death of ternsion. I have one player who finds humor in everything, so I don't even try, much...

I'm shamefully guilty of a little tension busting from time to time, but then I've got a more sensitive funny bone than most. Humor is important to me and I often bring it with me into RPGs...sometimes a little too heavily, but I'm trying. ;)

I did play a vengeful, demonic spirit-duck in the last World of Darkness game one of my friends tried to run. He still hasn't forgiven me for it. My defense is that he told us we could play anything we wanted from any of the World of Darkness books. Somehow, I don't think the Bygone Bestiary was on his radar when he said that and even so, I'm sure the last thing he would have expected me to create from that book (which was designed to allow the creation of mythical and fantasy-type creatures) was a fire-breathing duck of doom. For what it's worth, I loved the character and I'm so sad the game didn't last very long (which was actually the fault of another player...not me).

Okay, okay...my bad. :(

tesral
12-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I did play a vengeful, demonic spirit-duck in the last World of Darkness game one of my friends tried to run. He still hasn't forgiven me for it.

Have I got an Avatar for you.

http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/SS_Modeler/Demon_Duck.jpg (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/SS_modeler/Demon_Duck.jpg)
(http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/SS_Modeler/Demon_Duck.jpg)

Webhead
12-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Have I got an Avatar for you...

Love it! LOVE...IT!!!

I need to put that logo on the front of my GM binder! Heck, I need that on a friggin' t-shirt! :peace:

12-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Have I got an Avatar for you.

http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/SS_Modeler/Demon_Duck.jpg (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/SS_modeler/Demon_Duck.jpg)
(http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/SS_Modeler/Demon_Duck.jpg)

tell me, does this have anything to do with Linux

since the Linux 'mascot' or at least the slackware one is
lucifer--i mean a duck!
:biggrin:

tesral
12-04-2008, 12:18 AM
tell me, does this have anything to do with Linux

since the Linux 'mascot' or at least the slackware one is
lucifer--i mean a duck!
:biggrin:

Penguin. Slackware is guy with a pipe (Sealed my nerd image right there.)

No, it's a demon duck. I have not a clue where it comers from.

BSD is a cure little Devil.

12-04-2008, 12:28 AM
One of the first games I ever ran, I had two famous mis-statements...

"You come across a rubber-strewn foyer." (Should have been rubble.)
One of the players, without missing a beat, says "Must have been a hell of a party..."

lololol:lol:

12-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Penguin. Slackware is guy with a pipe (Sealed my nerd image right there.)

No, it's a demon duck. I have not a clue where it comers from.

BSD is a cure little Devil.

Gah! of course!!!

Berkeley Unix has a devil?

and what in the nine hells are the AWK and SED mascots supposed to be?
Imps??

Etarnon
12-04-2008, 11:14 PM
A time traveling team focussing on JFK as a historical figure went back to the past, missed the mark and ended up in Dallas, and were forced to do nothing (to avoid a paradox) while Kennedy was assassinated. The team did manage to kil the enemy aliens "Demoreans" that were messing with the time stream.
I had a copy of the Zapruder film on a wide screen TV. Pretty hard core.

The next week, they went back even further to assist Kennedy in surviving the PT 109 scenario, all the while keeping quiet about how his life would end.

Many players did not know the specifics of the back injury, the collision, etc so it turned out to be a mini history lesson for some. A few remarked as to how "They don't make presidents like that, any more" and said they were glad this was "just a game for us."

Recently a team of modern-day agents of the Joint Defense Group (kind of like a mini CIA, working for JCS) were in Venezuela, trying to disrupt the government of Chavez. One of the agents stood in full view in a window 2nd floor of a marine supply store at a pier, blazing away with an M-16, while taking AK-74 hip fire from a boat pier 50 feet away, plus an RPG rocket gunner hitting the building.

Just by sheer luck, did the "Good guy" live, and get both of his opponents.
Total James Bond action flick stuff.

wolff96
12-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Just by sheer luck, did the "Good guy" live, and get both of his opponents.
Total James Bond action flick stuff.

I had a moment like that about a year ago that is still discussed whenever those friends get together.

Unlike most of our games, this was supposed to be a one-shot, beer-and-pretzels, pure dungeon crawl game. I was playing a Barbarian named Oog -- it was easy to make and barbarians are so fun to make into a stereotype. We're talking full-on, half-orc barbarian with a greataxe and no brains here. :lol:

Unexpectedly, we were really enjoying the game, so we made it into a mini-campaign. The only player in the game my character actually liked was the half-elven rogue, because he was nice to me and we were both outcasts. So we got in over our heads in one battle and it was looking like a TPK. The fighter (a real meat-shield of a dwarf) was down, the cleric was out of healing and had like 3 HP left, and we were facing some tough foes with reach.

My buddy the rogue went down, taking a nasty hit and laying there at like -9. The cleric couldn't take the hit to get to him and wasn't going to reach him in time. On my turn, I broke away from what I was fighting (AoO) and ran across the room to the two guys looming over him (took two AoOs on the charge). My AC is in the toilet -- Rage + Charge -- so I took three hits and went from reasonably healthy to ~5HP. I looked that giant in the eye and rolled the old nat-20 just when I needed it! The follow-up of 19 was just gravy.

Crunch! Down went one giant. But wait, I have cleave! I toss the dice one more time at the other one -- WHAM! Another natural 20, this one followed up by a lower roll, but still enough to confirm. This guy was barely scratched, but when a raging barbarian crits you with a greataxe and rolls nearly max damage, you feel it! Down he went as well, 69 points of damage in one blow.

Battered, bloody, and ragged, Oog put one one foot on the giant and screamed in its dead face: "You no hurt my friend!" Then he promptly passed out as his Rage ended. :D

Zig
12-07-2008, 03:00 AM
not really an expirence just an evil character for an evil campaign my friend made... he never felt the other players were really living up to the sick and sadistic tennants of the CE alignment... so he created an giggling evil cleric and had the DM give him a holy symbol that would let him use a cause light wounds spell at range, and DM allowed him to pick the limb it would effect.

well first he tells us he's got this cat in a small wooden cage and he's constantly stabbing it with twigs (etc) then healing it, taking a great ammount of joy doing this...

but the best part was when we were at this large pit fighting arena where some championship gladitorial event was going on, there were rickety wooden bleechers but they went up very high and it was extremely steep. well the cleric waits till theres this guy carrying a child, food, and ale, carefully going to the top of the arena... he uses the cure light wounds spell, hits and breaks his leg, and the guy topples all the way down injuring many... next thing you know a riot breaks out because of this, as the cleric is getting out of the arena he kicks over an oil lantern. The whole place burns down to the ground (killing just about everyone) we all met up outside across the street from the arena, the cleric then says..

"damn that was great... we gotta go to more of these... "

GoddessGood
12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
The evil duck reminded me of Scribbles, the hyper-intelligent, black cockatoo familiar of a pirate character. The player purposefully robbed every pirate story he could think of and built the character to copy Jack Sparrow (the character's name was Peter Sparrow). The PC was illiterate (by design) and thus had the parrot copy down his treasure map in "chicken scratch" which only the bird could read. The bird would occasionally blackmail us and demand pigeons for "company" or he wouldn't read the map to us. He was also a sarcastic little guy, and would frequently pipe up at inappropriate moments by saying "Squawk" (rather than actually squawking) in a very dry tone.

Harbormaster: We're looking for these suspicious persons. Have you seen them?
Us: No, not at all. We're here on legitimate business.
Harbormaster: My, that's an interesting parrot you've got.
Us: Oh him? He's nothing special.
Scribbles: Squawk.

Malruhn
12-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Playing Top Secret - a fellow agent tried to assassinate an opposing agent in a park by shooting through his newspaper and through the other guy's newspaper as they sat in opposing benches. There was a little old lady walking nearby as he shot... and blew the guy's head off as both newspapers exploded in a hail of confetti. The little old lady screamed and just stood there as my friend ran away.

The next adventure, the tension was getting high and the agent was blindsided by something hitting him on the head as he took surveillance pictures. The little old lady was behind him, bashing him on the head with her umbrella while screaming, "I KNOW youuuUUUU!!" (best done in screechy, little old lady voice). She became a recurring foil, blowing our under-cover ops. Some 25 years later, I still see little old ladies and say that quietly to myself (I envision that little old lady in those crappy "Free Credit Report.com" commercials - the same lady that was in the end of Tenacious D's video, "Tribute.")

Another was a recurring villain that modeled himself after the Master of the Hunt - and tormented our group in a long passed campaign. Whenever we heard a wolf howl, the guy playing our Paladin would start hyperventilating and grabbing his dice. After three years, we never did kill that bastage.

A good friend once had a half-orc that wanted orcan dominion over the world - but thought they were too evil to do it - so he was lawful neutral. He was very strong, but didn't want to use magic to aid him in battle - so he refuse a "normal" magical weapon (bastard sword). I eventually talked him into getting one made by Drow artificers when he was 4th level - and he had to use his present weapon while unarmored to fight a fighter of equal level so the new blade could be quenched in the sacrifice's blood. He takes about 25% damage the first time from his human opponent - and the new blade shatters when they tried to quench it. The artificers remake it, and re-curse it, as assassins capture a new sacrifice. The player is upset to hear that he won't be healed between bouts - something about being a "pure" battle or something...

The new fight is against an elf, and leaves him at about 50% hit points, and the blade shatters again. They reforge it, re-curse it, and a new opponent is captured. The 6th level dwarf is pretty torqued... After a huge battle, he prevails and is at 0 hp... staggers to quench the blade and it survives.

The thrice-forged, thrice-cursed blade was allowed a quasi-permanent commune with a senior agent of Ilneval (orcan deity of battle and honor), and acted as a +X weapon - to get around the first edition rule about needing a certain magical bonus to hit various creatures. It didn't give any REAL bonus - it just allowed him to HIT anything that he rolled high enough to hit.

The guy was crying when I made the reveal about what the sword did. A VERY memorable night!! Unfortunately, the campaign ended before I was able to finish out making his character a paladin (he was heading there by himself - not railroaded!). I remember that night to this day...

and the entire thing was pulled out of my fourth point of contact... I was DMing on the fly that night.

Etarnon
12-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I wrote this down, long ago, found it on my hard drvie, still lying there, after all these years....Across an Amiga 500, and Amiga 1000, and multiple Desktop PCs.

"The Tale of Throckmorton Snakeslayer"
[Being a Totally True AD&D Gaming Incident]

I was a player in an AD&D game run at the Naval Air Station, North Island, San Diego Navy Base. Was on active duty back then, 1985.
[I was a torpedo mechanic, at the more or less ammunition depot there.]

Anyway...

There was a really nice AD&D setting with a real mixed-bag of bold adventurers, run by a guy named John Lindauer, at building 1400 Air Squadron Barracks. All of us on active duty in the Navy.

Well, I played a character, a Halfling named Throckmorton Frogslayer.

He had backstabbed a Giant Frog in a swamp one day, and killed it,
on his first adventure, thus saving a BUNCH of party members from the 1e Giant Frog
"Swallowing Whole" attack.

Anyway, we were on this quest to go to a semi-Egyptian-flavor temple, to steal some
artifact or other.

So, we go into the main temple room, where there is a really narrow stone bridge that is 40' long going across the room.

There's a stiff cross breeze from some air vents, which vary at times, making the check to go across at a -10, the DM says. So the party is shaking in their boots, because:

A) WE HAVE TO GET ACROSS to get the item.

B) THERE's NO OTHER WAY, because way back before in the adventure, we had to cross a chasm, and the bridge collapsed on us, and we lost a character.

C) The pit on either side of the Bridge is FILLED WITH POISONOUS SNAKES.
(Our bad luck, because Raiders of the Lost Ark was the GM's favorite movie.)

So, I (As the Halfling with the 18 Con) Ask, "Just how many snakes are there?"

The ref says:uh... Hundreds.. You're not sure... Just a lotta damn snakes, man.

So, We're sitting there. No time pressure at all, but we know we gotta cross.

"I ask him, Anything else?"

He goes, "You're not sure... BUT... There seems to be a lever of some sort, it might be the control to something."

Then The dwarf says he's checking for shifting walls.

So, the GM goes: "Yes, It seems like another bridge will raise up, if you pull the lever...But it's surrounded by snakes."

We're sitting there, about a minute.

GM says, "Who's first?"

We sit there, not wanting to deal with the whole issue.

So, this went on, and in fact, was getting pretty dull. After a few minutes, we're all flipping through pages of character sheets, equipment, scanning spare PHBs, etc. Nothing.

Suddenly, the Elf says, "I've got this ring...It improves your resistance to poison... Maybe somebody can use it against the snakes, in case he or she gets bit."

So, I glance down at my character sheet, and start doing some figuring... It comes out, with con bonus, levels, etc, plus being a halfling, I'm at 4+ on a D20 to save vs. Snake poison. WOOHOO!

So I go: "Okay, SCREW THIS! Gimme the ring, tie me to a rope, you guys, I'm going for it!"

CHEERS from the group. A look of utter dismay from the GM.

GM says: "No, the ring is too big, it's Elf Size!"

We look it up in the DMG. Not a lot there in the description. No Help.
I get an inspiration!

I tell him, "I wear it on my thumb, and we wrap some string around the inside of the ring, so it will fit!"

THE PARTY IS LIKE: "YES!! WOOHOO, Go Throckmorton!!! YES!!"

I'm losing my mind: "MOO HA HA! (Looking down into the pit) HERE I COME, YOU STUPID SNAKES!! FEAR ME!!"

SO MY GOAL IS CLEAR: MOVE THE LEVER, so the party can cross.

(By now, we're sure this is going to be a really cool, Outsmarted-The-GM type deal. We're loving it, becasue we used to get like at least three or four characters dead per adventure. It was like a minor moral victory or something, for us to be able to outsmart this guy.)

The party gives me a magic +2 dagger, for 'Just In Case.' I accept it graciously, with a promise that, Don't worry, I'll pull the lever, and "...Be Right Back, Honest."

So, I DIVE IN to the pit. "HOOO YAAAAA!"

I start singing Airborne-style cadence songs.

"See that Halfling from the sky! He jumps in, and snakes will die!"

Everyone is loving it, slapping each other on the back. THIS IS GONNA WORK!

THE GM IS PISSED OFF. REALLY MAD.

Just by my actions, and demeanor, I'm taunting the idea of his formerly "Very Cool Snake Pit Kill A PC Death Trap."

He grabs a handful of D20s, and starts tossing 'em down. He needs like a 15 or better to hit.

GM is SCREAMING at me: "YOU'RE GONNA DIE! Here goes.. A GROUP OF SNAKES RUSH YOU! 2. 5. 7. 4. 9. 3!" ALL MISSES.

By this time, they cheer, with each roll, because they know that first the snakes gotta hit me, then I get to make a save vs. Poison. This will be really tough going for the snakes now.

It goes to my head. I'm drunk with power. I'm going "HEY SNAKES! come get me!"

GM: (still rolling) 4. 9. 12. 3. 6. 8. 3.

THE PARTY CHEERS! "WOO HOO! GO GO GO GO GO!"

GM: 12. 11. 5. 7.

PARTY: GO GO GO GO GO GO!

ME: I get to the lever, and pull it.

Everyone holds their breath, to see if this was it, or is he gonna *** change the story to screw us. ***

GM: You're Still Surrounded by snakes. They're trying to bite you!
GM: 4. 8. 9. 3. 6. ARGH!

ME: I PULLED THE LEVER! What's HAPPENING?

The GM Throws his dice across the room, screaming!

GM: "OKAY! The walls start shifting, in a few minutes, the party will cross... (He turns really dark & nasty, as he says in a low voice),
GM: BUT YOU'RE NOT GONNA MAKE IT OUTTA HERE ALIVE...

OH YEAH? So, THIS IS MY NEW GOAL, Just GET OUT ALIVE. (Except, By this time, I'm really out of control.)
THE PARTY YELLS: "YOU DID IT, COME ON BACK, MAN!"

ME: "I Pick up a snake, and swing it around my head."
GM: He's biting you. 5. 9. 4.
ME: "I grab the snake by the throat. YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?! HUH?
I SLAP THE SNAKE. (I Motion how I'm slapping the snake.) Spish! Spish!
YOU SUCK, SNAKE! Spish! Slap! I GET IN THE SNAKE's FACE! *** I BITE THE SNAKE! ***

(I'm laughing aloud, even as I write this.)

The party is aghast.

PARTY: NO, MAN! COME BACK! YOU DID IT! NO! COME UP!
GM: The Walls have moved, you guys can cross now.

GM's still rolling. And missing me. He changes dice.
THE PARTY: THROCKMORTON, COME UP! We're through, man! You did it! Let's go!

ME: I toss the snake away in disgust. I spit on it! Silly Snake, thinking you can POISON ME, HUH?!?!?!?
THE PARTY: Hurray, come up!

ME: NO.

(dramatic pause)

ME: Because *** I'M NOT DONE YET. ***
ME: I Rip off my shirt, like the Hulk.
ME: COME GET ME, SNAKES! I'm THROCKMORTON FROGSLAYER, soon to be Throckmorton SNAKESLAYER!

GM: The snakes are rushing you!

The party is really mad at me now.

PARTY: DUDE! Get a CLUE, Man. You did it! Come up!

GM: Another snake tries to bite you. 19! A HIT! Roll Vs. POISON!

The party gasps, and groans.

GM: OKAY, Man! MAKE A SAVE!

ME: I make a save. (rolls the dice) 20!!!! WOO HOO! I'M ALIVE!
THE PARTY: 20! A NATURAL 20!
ME: I AM INVINCIBLE! I AM KING OF ALL SNAKEDOM!

Everyone is just staring at my antics.

ME: I DIVE INTO THE PILE OF SNAKES! I'M *** BATHING *** in snakes!

(I motion how I'm rubbing snakes under my armpits, and such.)

ME: Just TRY TO BITE ME, you LOSER Snakes! I tie snakes in knots!

A few laughs at the idea of a pretzel snake, but mostly, The party is horrified.

The GM sees that this is going nowhere.

ME: I pick up snakes at random. YOU HISSING AT ME? YOU HISSING AT ME?
ME: THERE'S NOBODY ELSE DOWN HERE, SO YOU MUST BE HISSING AT ME!

ELF PC: Dude. Time to go.

Me: Stupid %^&$%^& SNAKES! You can't TOUCH ME!!!

ELF PC: Dude. Dude. Let's go. You made your point, man. Let's move on.
The Party: Yeah, man, let's go.

ME: I CHALLENGE any snake who has BALLS ENOUGH to face me, to take me on!

More chuckles from the party at the idea of a snake with testicles.

ME: I'm tossing snakes left and right!

(All the while, I'm live action roleplaying it, by tossing handfulls of clean socks,
belts, ties that I got from a nearby closet.)

The GM is beyond drained, in trying to kill me.

GM: Okay, man, let's just move on.

ME: FINE. I go over to where I came down.

ELF PC: Finally. Let's go.

ME: Okay, I'm getting ready to come up.

GM: There's one more snake left, where you came down.

ME: I STEP ON IT! I GRIND THE SNAKE INTO THE GROUND, LIKE A CIGARETTE!
ME: DAMN Snake, trying to get me! WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS!

GM: The snake gets a last attack before he dies.

ME: Fine. Whatever.

GM: 18. The Snake hits.

ME: Fine. I roll my save. (It's one of those that lands weird, and spins like a top.)

It's still spinning.

...and spinning...

ME: I Yell to the Elf to pull me up.

The dice stops spinning. Number Comes up. it's a 3.

ME: I'm dead.

The GM says nothing.

ELF PC: I haul his body up, and GET MY +2 DAGGER AND STUPID RING BACK. NO, WAIT.

ELF PC: I TOSS THE RING INTO THE PIT. THE SNAKES DESERVE IT, *** AFTER ALL THEY WENT THROUGH ***

ME: Uh.. OK. Uh. I guess I'll roll a new character...

ELF PC: Yeah. Your fault, man.

GM: Okay, so the party goes out of the temple room, you go down a dusty, twisting passage, covered with heiroglyphic writing.
You all.... EXCEPT FOR THE STUPID HALFLING THAT DIED enter another chamber, where you see what appears to be...

...And so ends the dark tale of Throckmorton Snakeslayer...

(That was 23 years ago; I'm a lot more mellow these days.)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Good read. I can visualize the whole thing, both from the players perspective and the GM's. Funny stuff.

1958Fury
12-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Funny stuff, Etarnon. :)

Still, mini-rant - While you did take it a bit far at the end, it bothers me that the GM was getting mad so early on... his job isn't to kill you, it's to help the group make up a good story. Why did your creative solution to his challenge upset him so much? What do GMs like this hope is going to happen? Would they rather the players just gave up? Creative solutions to puzzles are the core of the game.

tesral
12-07-2008, 10:45 PM
He was also a sarcastic little guy, and would frequently pipe up at inappropriate moments by saying "Squawk" (rather than actually squawking) in a very dry tone.

One of my characters "Ivan" has a cheetah of much the same disposition. A sentient critter that lives in the house, and has been given the power of speech. Guests will be shocked at the "wild animal"

Ivan: "He's a house cat."
Guest: "That is a house cat?"
Ivan: "He is a cat, and he's in a house."
Charlie Cheetah: "(ahem) Meow."

He is also a fiend for bacon. Ivan (A Phoenix) never thought he would be fighting the battle of the bulge. But Charlie a typical cat in that he works no harder than he must. As bacon can be caught at the market and kept in the cooler. He doesn't move except to get food and sex, unless Ivan makes him.

Ivan makes him, with "Baconman" A bacon golem made from strips of bacon (A stick figure with bacon instead of lines) that keeps bacon away from Charlie unless he works for it. RC cars, hovercraft and other fast toys carry Baconman (and the bacon) away from Charlie unless he chases it and catches it. Ivan has been through a large number of "Baconmans" as Charlie eats the annoyance whenever he catches it.

Etarnon
12-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Well, he got pissed apparently because i was so arrogant about it.

Being very much rules as written, he was not gonna just "Rule me dead."

So he knew as soon as we figured it out, his challenge was done.

By my actions, I was rubbing it in, but it was a very minor victory for us players, because we all lost multiple pcs in his games, they were tough as hell. He was not a killer Dm, but he was a Very Tough DM.

I recall one time we as PCs were locked in a prison in winter, naked, all we had was hay on the floor to keep warm, starving. They fed us barely enough to stay alive.

So I said okay we break ice off the bars of the window.

Ah, to drink, well it's very cold...

No, we use it to make lenses, and focus what light we can onto the hay, to set it ablaze.

So he rules that the smoke attracts our captors they try to find out what's going on, we steal some weapons and break out.

So later on we ask him, what was the way to get out?

He says, "there was no way. I wanted you all to go into your backstories while imprisoned."

But again, he was fair but very tough. And didn't hold the whole snakeslayer incident against me, next session, with a new PC.

That was one of the best gaming groups I've had, we used to play super long marathon sessions (we were all 18 / 19 ) friday nights starting at 6 PM, all day saturday, and into half of sunday till noon, then crash, and on monday morning work on planes and bombs at the air station.

I recall more than once on a sunday, at noon, breaking character "Oh hell, I'm actually a guy that's in the navy, and have to go to work."

It was again, some of the best memories of my gaming career, because it was 1e, and a new pc was a half hour, tops.

Webhead
12-08-2008, 10:43 AM
...He was also a sarcastic little guy, and would frequently pipe up at inappropriate moments by saying "Squawk" (rather than actually squawking) in a very dry tone.

Harbormaster: We're looking for these suspicious persons. Have you seen them?
Us: No, not at all. We're here on legitimate business.
Harbormaster: My, that's an interesting parrot you've got.
Us: Oh him? He's nothing special.
Scribbles: Squawk.

One of my characters "Ivan" has a cheetah of much the same disposition. A sentient critter that lives in the house, and has been given the power of speech. Guests will be shocked at the "wild animal"

Ivan: "He's a house cat."
Guest: "That is a house cat?"
Ivan: "He is a cat, and he's in a house."
Charlie Cheetah: "(ahem) Meow."...

How funny, Anas Platyrhynchos (my aforementioned demon-duck) also had the ability to speak (if he deemed it absolutely necessary) and loved using it to play tricks on humans. While tucked under the arm of his Mage companion (another PC), a bystander witnesses a momentary flash of magical light.

Bystander: "Did I just see that light come from nowhere?"

Duck: "No."

Bystander: (Looks relieved for a moment, then does a double take, looking at the duck with wide eyes.)

Duck: "Quack."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-08-2008, 12:04 PM
How funny, Anas Platyrhynchos (my aforementioned demon-duck) also had the ability to speak (if he deemed it absolutely necessary) and loved using it to play tricks on humans. While tucked under the arm of his Mage companion (another PC), a bystander witnesses a momentary flash of magical light.

Bystander: (Looks relieved for a moment, then does a double take, looking at the duck with wide eyes.)

Hilarious!

tesral
12-08-2008, 12:29 PM

I have a Real Life story along that line. When my wife was a kid her mother and her raised guinea pigs. They were are a local pet supply place better suppliues and they had a myna bird there. Sue said: "Hello bird". The bird looked at her the way myna birds do and replied "Birds can't talk." Sue said she was so stunned she argued with the bird for the next half hour and it never opened its beak after that.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I have a Real Life story along that line. When my wife was a kid her mother and her raised guinea pigs. They were are a local pet supply place better suppliues and they had a myna bird there. Sue said: "Hello bird". The bird looked at her the way myna birds do and replied "Birds can't talk." Sue said she was so stunned she argued with the bird for the next half hour and it never opened its beak after that.
That's hilarious. If ever i own a bird, i'll have to teach it that.

GoddessGood
12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Haha. There was a bird like that on Mazes and Monsters (old 80's made for tv movie about D&D).