PDA

View Full Version : New DM

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Recently started playing a solo campaign. The DM is new. The adventure is made for 4-6 players and i'm the only one. Some of the armor classes are really high so the dm lowers them.

The dm also doesn't have the experience yet to scale the adv. So i am fighting the same amount of monsters only with lower AC.

The game is a whole lot of fun which is the important thing. but what tips to you have for scaling?

nijineko
10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
the encounter level tables in the dmg are a rough (very rough) but nonetheless useful guide to scaling. especially if one has yet to gain the xp needed to figure the scaling themselves. on the other paw, you'll be gaining more xp at a faster rate, which can be good for you.

but, considering the dm's inexperience, that might not be what's best for the group. even when it's just the two of you, the accelerated pace of advancement you will experience from fighting four character's worth of monsters, will result in him/her falling into an escalation habit in order to challenge you. and that's a poor habit to be in.

quite possibly resulting in a poor learning experience for both of you. most important to remember, it will take some experimenting to find the right mix. this will result in some hit or miss situations. some things will challenge your single character inordinately, while others will be a breeze.

one possible solution is to pause the game, and run a few mock encounters through from another adventure several times with higher and/or lower numbers, and even different monsters so that the dm can start to get a feel for what you can do. another great solution is for your dm to find some more experience dms (other than yourself) to talk with and discuss how to best challenge. brainstorm and so forth.

perhaps you could encourage your dm to join us here on the forums and solicit advice from some of the dms here. we could send it to him/her via pm, and then s/he could try it out on you. heheheheh. and then we would be vastly amused and interested when you post the results from your point of view. win/win/win all around. =D

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
the encounter level tables in the dmg are a rough (very rough) but nonetheless useful guide to scaling. especially if one has yet to gain the xp needed to figure the scaling themselves. on the other paw, you'll be gaining more xp at a faster rate, which can be good for you.

but, considering the dm's inexperience, that might not be what's best for the group. even when it's just the two of you, the accelerated pace of advancement you will experience from fighting four character's worth of monsters, will result in him/her falling into an escalation habit in order to challenge you. and that's a poor habit to be in.

quite possibly resulting in a poor learning experience for both of you. most important to remember, it will take some experimenting to find the right mix. this will result in some hit or miss situations. some things will challenge your single character inordinately, while others will be a breeze.

one possible solution is to pause the game, and run a few mock encounters through from another adventure several times with higher and/or lower numbers, and even different monsters so that the dm can start to get a feel for what you can do. another great solution is for your dm to find some more experience dms (other than yourself) to talk with and discuss how to best challenge. brainstorm and so forth.

perhaps you could encourage your dm to join us here on the forums and solicit advice from some of the dms here. we could send it to him/her via pm, and then s/he could try it out on you. heheheheh. and then we would be vastly amused and interested when you post the results from your point of view. win/win/win all around. =D

funny thing. my dm is Chi on the forums:D This is actually her first adv that she is running. (an old published adv i had lying around and never used)

MortonStromgal
10-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Lets pretend for example its the DL1, there is a hobgoblin fight at the beginning of 6-12 of them. I would have 2 vs you and a "hand of god" npc, standing by (in the background) to save you. She can then get a rough idea how well you can do against 2 hobgobins (thats a CR 1 encounter). If the fight is easy next fight throw a CR 2 out there, if its too hard try a CR 1/2. The balance will not be perfect in 3.X but if she stages up and down a little she can get a good idea what you can tackle. Once shes comfortable she can remove the "hand of god" npc

nijineko
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
awesome!!! congrats, chi. =D well, if chi wants any advice or ideas... i for one will be happy to assist, schedule allowing. ^^

MuslixtheMighty
10-30-2008, 01:34 AM
I can't wait for Munchkin to make a "Sleep with the GM. Go up a level!" card.

nijineko
10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
some of the expansions decks included blank cards so that you could make your own. ^^

cplmac
10-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Yes, Kudos to Chi for giving at try at being the DM. Hey, you have to start somewhere. I'm sure that if she runs into a large enough problem that she won't hesitate to throw a question out here on the forums. I have also "heard" that Thriondel Half-Elven is in the process of running his first game using the 2E system. I wish you both well. Also, if I can be of any assistance, please give me a shout.

It can also work the other way too. I am finding that I am needing to scale up the encounters in my "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" campaign due to there being 9 characters in the party. I have had to adjust on the fly due to having made the encounter to difficult. Then again, that's just one of many aspects of being a GM/DM. You have to learn the ability to adjust on the spot either one way or the other.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Lets pretend for example its the DL1, there is a hobgoblin fight at the beginning of 6-12 of them. I would have 2 vs you and a "hand of god" npc, standing by (in the background) to save you. She can then get a rough idea how well you can do against 2 hobgobins (thats a CR 1 encounter). If the fight is easy next fight throw a CR 2 out there, if its too hard try a CR 1/2. The balance will not be perfect in 3.X but if she stages up and down a little she can get a good idea what you can tackle. Once shes comfortable she can remove the "hand of god" npc

she picked up an idea similar to your "hand of god" at a game she played. The DM passed out one gem or token at the start of each session. This token is similar to a "wish" i guess. So, given DM approval, you can use it for anything within reason. I have used 2 to get all my health back due to the enemies being so numerous.:D