PDA

View Full Version : Making my own RPG

DungeonMaster
10-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Ahoy fellow RPGers i am taking on the task of making my own RPG. I have been an avid D&D player and DM, and i see now as a good time to try venturing awayfrom it all. I have started to create a different system not using the d20 system that kind of revels near the d10 system with a lil twist. Wait....before i get ahead of myself, my RPG is post-WWWIII based. It's set around the time of about 2070ish. The storyline is similar to the storyline of a beloved game known as FallOut 2. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this title go here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PXiV95kwA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PXiV95kwA)

That is the basic rundown of the storyline in my RPG. World War 3 broke out in 2012 and the military placed all the civilians in Underground Vaults. A whole generation has grown up and gone by, and one day each of the countless vaults recieves a message from the outside to make preparations to be released from the vaults in 5 months. Being the good lil obedient civilians that we are, mostof the vaults pack up and wait for their release back into the world. The vault in which the "players" are from decided to 'jerry-rig' a bomb and blow the vault door off in advance. The civilians that waited for the 'Release-date' were mowed down by heavily high-tech armored soldiers wielding ionic gatling guns. The conclusion for such action is the fact that the soldiers, who stayed 'above' and out of the vaults, are now better suited to run the fate ofthe planet. The 'Vaulted' people were saw to be unfit humans for they are so feeble. The soldiers are all atleast half cybornetic beings, and have been this way for some time. The soldiers (note to self: Find a better name for them than 'the soldiers') decided it was more cost-efficient and easier to just exterminate the vaulted people rather than convert them.

That is the basic storyline. I am using modern weapons due to the fact that all that the vaulted people can scroungeup is the obselete weaponry that the 'soldiers' (God i have to find another word) no longer use. I am using percentage-to-hit for combat. For instance, A Glock 9 has a 35% base percentage to hit. This percentage may be modified by scopes [adding 5%] or by skills aquired which affect the certain type of weapon. As far as types of weaponry goes, i have the following: Hand-to-Hand, Pistols, Rifles, Combat Rifles, Explosives, Sub-machines Guns, ShotGuns [which have the option of being sawed-off for a decrease in range but increase in damage], Heavy Machine Guns, and Mounted Weaponry for vehicle use. Having armor, whether it be on oneself or on a vehicle does not change these percentages similar to AC in DnD. Other affecting elements to these percentages are range and velocity of target. I am still crafting such tables and graphs to compensate for range and velocity.

Skills are obtained/bought using a mixture of Gold and Experience Points. Each skill cost both. Exp. is gained through victory in battle, difficulty of tasks accomplished, and cleverness of problem-solving. There are no levels. THERE ARE NO LEVELS. Exp. is pooled up and saved to purchase skills. Skills ranging from Good-Eye Sniper which gives you an extra 3% whenever using a scope, to Brawler which grants an extra 1d4 damage to any Hand-to-Hand combat. Total HP will increase in time. The amount of increase is determined by your Vitality Score. The Attributes are Strength, Dexterity, Vitality, Intelligence, and Charisma. The figuring of these has not been.....figured. (HAHAHA)

I am only using the d10, d100, d8, d6, and d4. This paragraph is a catch-all for other crap i didnt put up there. I am only using the human race. The 'soldiers' all live in bio-domed cities. Anything outside the cities is a wasteland, not toxic or unlivable, just not pretty. There is no flight due to some reason i havent made up yet. No hover-crafts.

I'm tired and have been up too long today, so that is all i can think of at the moment. Please give me your thoughts. Any questions you have i will surely answer. Please throw some feedback my way

Much Love,
DM

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-28-2008, 02:57 PM
I would be interested to read the mechanics behind your combat rules. So whenever you have the chance...

Sounds cool so far. Very action oriented it seems. I like the idea of a percentile chance roll to hit.

Zijixiong
01-27-2009, 09:30 AM
A suggestion, if you haven't already gone ahead with something else, on why there is no flying or aircraft could be just that the Cyberculture may have specific functions for flight-oriented personalities and have them built into aircraft.

Alternatively, the Cyberculture could just no longer need external methods of flight, making flying vehicles somewhat antiquated.

Yet one more way is that all flying vehicles are kept under tight and secure surveillance within the domes when not in use.

However way, the Vaulted would not have access to such vehicles and therefore would not have the opportunity to fly. It sounds like resources are pretty well spent at this point, so it's unlikely the Vaulted will develop their own flying vehicles, especially if they're only scrounging weapons.

I have to wonder what the economic basis of such a society would be, and how badly corrupt the domed cities are considering their sources. I can see "credits" or some other near-traditional method of currency being used among the Cyberculture, but with resources scarce and access to the domed cities most unlikely, the Vaulted would have to use some other method of currency, like barter or maybe meal rations. Having separate economic systems also further emphasises the differences between the "humans" and the cyberculture.

As for possible names for the Soldiers, I have been using Cyberculture, but if the players are all Vaulted then they should have a name that reflects the way the Vaulted feel about them. "Soldiers" is completely antithetic, but "Praetorians" or "Legionaires" might be better. Alternatively, focus on them being corrupt, such as calling them the "Bane" or simply "The Enemy" or "The Others".

Maybe your Vaulted think of these Others as corrupted physically and impure. In that case, names such as "Defiled" or the "Impure". Maybe they're even the "Aliens".

I don't even know if you're still running with this project, of course, but I hope my suggestions help if you are.