PDA

View Full Version : Making my own RPG

DungeonMaster
10-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Ahoy fellow RPGers i am taking on the task of making my own RPG. I have been an avid D&D player and DM, and i see now as a good time to try venturing awayfrom it all. I have started to create a different system not using the d20 system that kind of revels near the d10 system with a lil twist. Wait....before i get ahead of myself, my RPG is post-WWWIII based. It's set around the time of about 2070ish. The storyline is similar to the storyline of a beloved game known as FallOut 2. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this title go here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PXiV95kwA

That is the basic rundown of the storyline in my RPG. World War 3 broke out in 2012 and the military placed all the civilians in Underground Vaults. A whole generation has grown up and gone by, and one day each of the countless vaults recieves a message from the outside to make preparations to be released from the vaults in 5 months. Being the good lil obedient civilians that we are, mostof the vaults pack up and wait for their release back into the world. The vault in which the "players" are from decided to 'jerry-rig' a bomb and blow the vault door off in advance. The civilians that waited for the 'Release-date' were mowed down by heavily high-tech armored soldiers wielding ionic gatling guns. The conclusion for such action is the fact that the soldiers, who stayed 'above' and out of the vaults, are now better suited to run the fate ofthe planet. The 'Vaulted' people were saw to be unfit humans for they are so feeble. The soldiers are all atleast half cybornetic beings, and have been this way for some time. The soldiers (note to self: Find a better name for them than 'the soldiers') decided it was more cost-efficient and easier to just exterminate the vaulted people rather than convert them.

That is the basic storyline. I am using modern weapons due to the fact that all that the vaulted people can scroungeup is the obselete weaponry that the 'soldiers' (God i have to find another word) no longer use. I am using percentage-to-hit for combat. For instance, A Glock 9 has a 35% base percentage to hit. This percentage may be modified by scopes [adding 5%] or by skills aquired which affect the certain type of weapon. As far as types of weaponry goes, i have the following: Hand-to-Hand, Pistols, Rifles, Combat Rifles, Explosives, Sub-machines Guns, ShotGuns [which have the option of being sawed-off for a decrease in range but increase in damage], Heavy Machine Guns, and Mounted Weaponry for vehicle use. Having armor, whether it be on oneself or on a vehicle does not change these percentages similar to AC in DnD. Other affecting elements to these percentages are range and velocity of target. I am still crafting such tables and graphs to compensate for range and velocity.

Skills are obtained/bought using a mixture of Gold and Experience Points. Each skill cost both. Exp. is gained through victory in battle, difficulty of tasks accomplished, and cleverness of problem-solving. There are no levels. THERE ARE NO LEVELS. Exp. is pooled up and saved to purchase skills. Skills ranging from Good-Eye Sniper which gives you an extra 3% whenever using a scope, to Brawler which grants an extra 1d4 damage to any Hand-to-Hand combat. Total HP will increase in time. The amount of increase is determined by your Vitality Score. The Attributes are Strength, Dexterity, Vitality, Intelligence, and Charisma. The figuring of these has not been.....figured. (HAHAHA)

I am only using the d10, d100, d8, d6, and d4. This paragraph is a catch-all for other crap i didnt put up there. I am only using the human race. The 'soldiers' all live in bio-domed cities. Anything outside the cities is a wasteland, not toxic or unlivable, just not pretty. There is no flight due to some reason i havent made up yet. No hover-crafts.

I'm tired and have been up too long today, so that is all i can think of at the moment. Please give me your thoughts. Any questions you have i will surely answer. Please throw some feedback my way

Much Love,
DM

MortonStromgal
10-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I wish you the best of luck :D

trechriron
11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
[I would choose to only post in one area, because the conversation is going to get divided...]

First question before I pipe in with opinions\advice...

Is this for personal use or a potential commercial\public release?

tesral
11-04-2008, 07:57 AM
The first question I have is why are you reinventing the wheel? What about your setting benefits from producing an entirely new system to run it with?

So far you have a fairly standard post apocalyptic world. A different spin on the thing, which is good, but the basic idea is the same. We could be up and running an a couple of hours with say GURPS or d20 Modern. How is your new system going to be better?

fmitchell
11-04-2008, 08:44 AM
As much as I like alternate systems, I kinda have to agree with Tesral; I don't see anything in your description that screams "I need a new system". What problems does your new system solve that GURPS, d20 Modern, Unisystem, BRP, D6, Fudge, and the rest don't?

I would also caution you not to get too complicated too fast. Start with a simple resolution system (percentiles, die + bonus, dice pool, whatever), and then add rules to cover special situations. As an aside, I'm intrigued that "skills" are all-or-nothing bonuses to base percentages; I presume you're looking at the simplicity of 4e "training" or Warhammer Fantasy skills. From your description, though, the better weapons win, not the best wielder.

Also, as a die-hard simulationist, I wonder why skill improvements require gold *and* XP: gold is cost for training, presumably, but XP is real-world experience, so either should be sufficient unless a particular ability demands only one or the other (e.g. academic skills may require formal training, but perception-based abilities can't be learned in a classroom).

nijineko
11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
...but perception-based abilities can't be learned in a classroom).

well, they can... but most places don't do that kind of training.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=76&pictureid=444

placebosonly
11-04-2008, 10:30 PM
just trying to remake inquisitor with a new setting?
(percentile based future-setting game)

ChaunceyK
11-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Also, as a die-hard simulationist, I wonder why skill improvements require gold *and* XP: gold is cost for training, presumably, but XP is real-world experience, so either should be sufficient unless a particular ability demands only one or the other (e.g. academic skills may require formal training, but perception-based abilities can't be learned in a classroom).

I disagree with you on this one. Think of your character like you would a Boxer (or these days, a Mixed Martial Artist)...he gets plenty of experience fighting in the ring, right? But he still needs a trainer to watch him & point out how he can improve on what he's doing.

Real-world experience is good, but having the proper guidance can only improve upon it.

wbrandel
11-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I do wish you the best of luck with your chosen task, however I do have to ask why develop a new system when there are plenty of existing systems that would support a game of that nature?

fmitchell
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM
I disagree with you on this one. Think of your character like you would a Boxer (or these days, a Mixed Martial Artist)...he gets plenty of experience fighting in the ring, right? But he still needs a trainer to watch him & point out how he can improve on what he's doing.

Real-world experience is good, but having the proper guidance can only improve upon it.

True, but in that circumstances gold/teachers *or* XP should increase the skill. A street fighter who fights on the street will improve on his own, and a martial artist who learns in class will also improve; combining the two should double the learning rate (or maybe more?).

trechriron
11-05-2008, 05:56 PM

Much Love,
DM

Did we scare you off? I hope not. We might be able to save you some trouble\heartache or offer you ideas.

trechriron
11-05-2008, 05:58 PM
*delete post*

tesral
11-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Did we scare you off? I hope not. We might be able to save you some trouble\heartache or offer you ideas.

Yes, the idea is to build something better and avoid past errors. Questions are not intended to discourage, but facilitate that process.

placebosonly
11-06-2008, 12:06 PM
you may want to check to see if there is an open license on the percentile system because i dont believe it is an open license just lookin out :)

trechriron
11-06-2008, 12:42 PM
you may want to check to see if there is an open license on the percentile system because i dont believe it is an open license just lookin out :)

There are none that I know of. Open Core, Action! System, d20 (in various forms from complete games to fiddly bits within closed content), FATE 3.0, FUDGE, are a few off the top of my head.

placebosonly
11-06-2008, 01:44 PM
there is a pen and paper game based on warhammer40k i believe that is in a percentile layout rules are sketchy and poorly done but I do believe it is percentile

fmitchell
11-06-2008, 02:16 PM
there is a pen and paper game based on warhammer40k i believe that is in a percentile layout rules are sketchy and poorly done but I do believe it is percentile

I haven't seen Warhammer 40K Roleplaying, but there's two editions of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, one from 1986 that's reportedly very scattershot and another from 2005 (which I own) that's cleaner but still a little unintuitive. For example, it has "skills" and "talents", but for the most part skills only give you the ability to use one of your percentile attributes in a particular situation, unless you take it two or three times, each getting an extra +10%.

Both WFRP and "Dark Heresy" (the first and apparently only W40KRP book, according to Wikipedia) were both done by Black Industries, originally backed by Green Ronin and now owned by Fantasy Flight Games.

gdmcbride
11-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Just to clarify:

Dark Heresy is an RPG based on the WH40K universe. It is very much alive and in print and has several supplements. You can read all about it here. (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/dark-heresy/)

It is a very beautiful and well done game using a (slight) variant of the WFRP system. If you enjoy the WH40K universe and have ever wanted to roleplay in that world, it is simply indispensable.

Also, the adventure book 'Dark Heresy: Purge the Unclean' is pretty darn good. I haven't played any of the adventures yet, but they read well (and one of them takes place on a space hulk -- yay!).

Gary

MortonStromgal
11-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Mongoose's Runequest is an open license percentile system and I love the fact its so easy to convert d20 monsters into it.

placebosonly
11-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Mongoose's Runequest is an open license percentile system and I love the fact its so easy to convert d20 monsters into it.
really? can you post a link to a rules page? sounds fun

MortonStromgal
11-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Mongoose SRD (use a fan site its easier)
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/series.php?qsSeries=39

One Fan Site
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/srd/srd_runic/index.html

A wiki
http://mrqwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

DungeonMaster
11-13-2008, 05:45 PM
[I would choose to only post in one area, because the conversation is going to get divided...]

First question before I pipe in with opinions\advice...

Is this for personal use or a potential commercial\public release?

personal use at first but if personal usage works out well and i "fix the bugs" through trial and error in game, then possibly i might submit the whole system.

DungeonMaster
11-13-2008, 05:52 PM
As much as I like alternate systems, I kinda have to agree with Tesral; I don't see anything in your description that screams "I need a new system". What problems does your new system solve that GURPS, d20 Modern, Unisystem, BRP, D6, Fudge, and the rest don't?

I would also caution you not to get too complicated too fast. Start with a simple resolution system (percentiles, die + bonus, dice pool, whatever), and then add rules to cover special situations. As an aside, I'm intrigued that "skills" are all-or-nothing bonuses to base percentages; I presume you're looking at the simplicity of 4e "training" or Warhammer Fantasy skills. From your description, though, the better weapons win, not the best wielder.

the reason behind using XP to buy skills is that it represents "time spent learning" each skill. IRL you acquire "skills" by learning them in a formal learning institution (i.e. vocational school), but since such things are not available in the world in which my rpg is based on. So skills must be passed on from war-buddy to war-buddy. So spending XP on skills is like spending "time" that you might have been being taught something from somebody that knows. Make sense?

DungeonMaster
11-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I do wish you the best of luck with your chosen task, however I do have to ask why develop a new system when there are plenty of existing systems that would support a game of that nature?

It's mainly for the challenge and having a system of my own lets me make my own rules. I could use another system and making this thing would require much less time but, i havent found a system that satisfies my need of rules to the T. So i want my own system.

DungeonMaster
11-13-2008, 07:40 PM
does anyone know where i can get a .pdf file of "d20 Weapons Locker"?

nijineko
11-13-2008, 11:55 PM
ah, i would suggest not asking such questions here on this forum, it will get your thread locked. ^^ here on the forum, they take anything that might possibly get the forum, admin, or even users in trouble, very very seriously. =D just a friendly heads up.

fmitchell
11-14-2008, 01:57 AM
does anyone know where i can get a .pdf file of "d20 Weapons Locker"?

If you want a LEGAL one, you can buy it from Drive Thru RPG (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=28586) for $30.

Otherwise, as said above, can't help you.

EDIT: You can also get the dead tree version mailorder from Alibris (http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/0786931329), among other places, for about $15 plus shipping.

DungeonMaster
11-14-2008, 04:36 PM
thanks for the feed-back on the pdf thing i didnt know but back to giving advice or critiscism (i am never gunna spell that word right)

fmitchell
11-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I've split the whole PDF vs. dead tree discussion to its own thread (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=53618)

nijineko
11-14-2008, 10:51 PM
thanks for the feed-back on the pdf thing i didnt know but back to giving advice or critiscism (i am never gunna spell that word right)

no problems. we are here to help. =D

about your rpg, i would like to see an alpha or beta writeup of your system. that would give me a better feel, and thus something of an opinion, rather than just the (what feels like to me) scattered bits of information i've been seeing as i read this thread. ^^

DungeonMaster
11-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Alrite, I have come to a "stuck spot". I am trying to figure percentage to hit. For FireArms I was doing a base percentage that varied from gun to gun plus Ability Mod. plus skill mod. which so far seems to work. BUT, Right now i am working on my Hand2Hand weapons and it doesnt seem right that an object, such as a broken beer bottle, would hinder your accuracy while swinging it. I do accept that maybe a heavy object, like a sledgehammer, would make you less accurate due to the weight, but something that could be easily swung or used like brass knuckles or the infamous broken beer bottle would not change your accuracy of a punch IRL. So then i thot that a 'base accuracy' derived from your STR. or AGI. would work. But i then ran into the problem of the players would just dump the 'high scores' in STR. and AGI. since my RPG is a very high combat-oriented one. Unless.....idk any ideas?

trechriron
11-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Maybe you should have an "accuracy" aspect be an aspect of weapons or objects? You could have an abstract "weight" score that demonstrates an object's generic weight and hand-ability. So, if a weapon lists an accuracy use that (as a modifier to the attack) OR if not, then use the objects "weight" score as a penalty to the attack. I would always keep "talents" and "skill" and other such factors on the character side of things versus the item\weapon side of things (so if a character is good at brawling, they have an "ability" or "talent" that improves their attack with improvised weapons, as an example versus trying to weigh in that factor in the broken beer bottle stats).

I would need to see more of you base system mechanics to help with impacts on numbers. The art of creating a character creation process that favors concept over optimization is obscure at best. There are a plethora of methods from simple "GM approves everything" to "combat stuff costs 3x as much as non-combat stuff" to "you can spend COOL POINTS if it has something to do with your goals, motivations, or flaws". YMMV.

It would be great to see a summary of your system basics, give us a better context for the discussion. :D

DungeonMaster
11-21-2008, 03:46 PM
i dont wanna post my "system" up here yet because it has way too many holes and things i am still working out...but as soon as i figure certain things out i will post it.

DungeonMaster
12-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Alright...sorry i havent added any updates recently. Abilities are gunna be rolled up by using 1d4 plus 1d6 to get results between 2-10. I believe any ability score of 1 is like you failed at life. Ability modifiers are as follows: 2-3 0% 4-5 5% 6-7 10% 8-9 15% 10, 20% I have been having trouble with my battle mechanics. So far i have this: Light weaponry is going to be based off of your Dexterity Score Mod. plus Skill Mod. minus weapon mod. (due to weight/recoil) plus percentile roll. All of that has to beat the person's or thing's TH rating (To Hit Rating) which is derived from 50% (base to hit rating) plus Dexterity Mod. plus 5% for every Job Level. For heavy weaponry i kinda wanna use their Muscle Mod. (Str. equivalent for my RPG) but i cant decide. Later on when i have more time i will post my weapon list. Also i am considering on adding mechs.

aiden28
01-16-2010, 09:54 AM
I Just today came across this thread and ... very interested. I guess I'm just wondering if people are still lookin at it. Is there a beta write up on your system yet and if so could you post it.

tesral
01-16-2010, 05:13 PM
No one is stopping you.

templeorder
04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
I built my own, its all i use now. But, the parameters set forward do seem to indicate that there's probably already a system out there you can adopt and implement some home brew rules on to customize. Its a lot of work doing your own, not worth it unless you have the time...

RC-1309
11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
I would be interested in playing this game when it is finished....sounds really interesting....