PDA

View Full Version : How Much XP?

MortonStromgal
10-22-2008, 12:14 PM
So in 3.5 I found a sweet spot with 2500 xp per session (regardless of encounters) had the right amount of advancement per session for me. Anyone have a sweet spot for 4e? Pathfinder? or some other D&D?

Webhead
10-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I've found that I tend to favor slower XP progression in level-based systems because of the "ding" factor of characters suddenly getting better in broad range of abilities. That said, in a 3e game, with PCs needing just 1000 xp to hit level 2, it's hard to run a 1st level adventure that doesn't push them all the way to level 2. And that's okay, but after that, I generally don't want my PCs gaining levels faster than every 3 to 5 sessions. Level 1 at the first session, Level 2 by the second session, Level 3 by the 4th or 5th session, Level 4 by the 8th or 9th session, etc. Any faster than that and I feel like I'm playing the old arcade game Altered Beast with the game annoucer peroidically howling "Power Up!"

I also like there to be a sense of the passage of time during a game as the characters advance. Characters' personalities, friendships and attitudes should evolve in step with their "power progression". In my Star Wars Saga game, I've tried to keep time moving briskly forward and thus far (with some established between-session downtime and travel) the PCs have advanced 4 months of in-game time and have reached level 5. A lot has happened to them in that time. Even so, I sometimes feel that I've advanced them too quickly, but if I try to do justice to the XP they should be earning for the challenges they are facing and the plots they are advancing, they are probably right where they deserve to be.

In short, I feel that gaining a level more frequently than every 3 sessions is probably too fast for my tastes. How that breaks out in terms of party level and related XP rewards varies obviously by the challenges met and the XP required to level.

Kalanth
10-22-2008, 01:54 PM
I have to agree with Webhead in that it is most desireable to level the players slower. I have tried to nail it down to every two sessions in the 4e game I run and that is only because we average one session a month at best. At this point it has been about two months of in game time and level 4, but still right about the same concept as Webhead.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Being old-school, i like to progress the party at very slow rates. I am flexible though, if the party im playing with is relatively new, then i will speed things up. In the end though... slow is always best.

nijineko
10-23-2008, 02:13 AM
depends on the campaign. and in any case it fluctuates between slow periods and faster periods. very tied to what the players choose to do. ^^

i would say, very generally, that at a minimum, i try to level everyone at least once an adventure. depending on the adventure, the number of sessions that translates to could vary drastically.

Skunkape
10-23-2008, 09:02 AM
My campaign started in Feb 2007, we play once a month and my currect party is 9th and 10th level, so that works out to about 2.2 months per level. But I agree that a lot of the speed of leveling depends on the campaign.

tesral
10-24-2008, 01:21 AM
I give XP by a percent of the level converted to XP points. Usually and average of 10% to 20%.for a real good session. 30%-40% if a major goal is reached. Progress is farly slow.

Skunkape
10-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I give XP by a percent of the level converted to XP points. Usually and average of 10% to 20%.for a real good session. 30%-40% if a major goal is reached. Progress is farly slow.

That's a very interesting concept! I'll have to keep it in mind when working out xp for my players.