PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a 3.5 fighter/rogue

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Anyone know of any PrCs out there for this combo?

I am sticking with human for the extra feat and skills, i love me skills and feats!

Ability scores will be:

Str 14
Dex 14
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 12

She will be very much the scoundrel type rogue and fighter with a bad attitude and cocky demeanor. The idea for our party is to stick with ranged attacks, (we will have a cleric/warlock, druid, and ranged fighter or scout), but I want her to be effective in melee combat because melee is usually inevitable in D&D. So knowing that she will eventually get into melee I am thinking of focusing on feinting to make her very effective. With a high Int I like the idea of her being a good tactician also.

Here is my feat list so far of the essentials I want to take:

Improved Initiative
Improved Feint
Combat Expertise
Quick Draw
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Weapon Focus

Any other suggestions?

Yes my previous character, the elven wizard was killed. Actually the whole party was killed. Yay for TPKs!!!

MuslixtheMighty
10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
I would say pick Improved Initiative. It will give your character that little extra boost to help protect the frontlines if everyone else is going to be behind her.

nijineko
10-21-2008, 06:54 PM
duelist prestige, perhaps? i've always thought that a drunken master rouge would be awesome to play. another option is to go the exotic weapon master, or master thrower route.

tesral
10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
That low Wisdom could bite your ass. Neither Rogues or Fighters have good will saves.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-21-2008, 11:01 PM
duelist prestige, perhaps? i've always thought that a drunken master rouge would be awesome to play. another option is to go the exotic weapon master, or master thrower route.

I was thinking duelist also, but she is going to be on the front lines more often than the other characters so she is going to need to be able to take quite a few hits. So I am going to make her not focused in stealth skills, maybe just enough to off-set the armor check penalties.

That low Wisdom could bite your ass. Neither Rogues or Fighters have good will saves.

Indeed, but she also needs hp (Con) to be on the front lines somewhat and be able to bluff (Cha) for feinting. Any ideas?

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I would say pick Improved Initiative. It will give your character that little extra boost to help protect the frontlines if everyone else is going to be behind her.

Already on the list!:D

tesral
10-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Indeed, but she also needs hp (Con) to be on the front lines somewhat and be able to bluff (Cha) for feinting. Any ideas?

Well the Int is pulling in more skill points. What is a 12 Cha doing for you? That +1 might be better off on the Will save. Or swap all three. Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10. You loose one skill point a level, but gain a +2 will save.

nijineko
10-22-2008, 01:31 AM
I was thinking duelist also, but she is going to be on the front lines more often than the other characters so she is going to need to be able to take quite a few hits. So I am going to make her not focused in stealth skills, maybe just enough to off-set the armor check penalties.

duelist is not stealth oriented... or at least not so as i recall it. and it boosts your ac via your int score... that's one of the reasons why i suggested it. ^^

MortonStromgal
10-22-2008, 10:14 AM
There is a feat in CS IIRC that makes the enemy target you, may come in handy to save a wizzy.

ignimbrite
10-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Order of the Bow Initiate (CW?) will give you mad ranged damage that stacks with your sneak attack and eventually I think you can fire in base-to-base contact without AoO.

The Nightsong Enforcer and Infiltrator (CAdv) are good team playing rogues. The Streetfighter and Vigilante (also CAdv) are slightly more martial rogues.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Well we are playing the Age of Worms campaign and so far it seems that the campaign was written for characters that are strictly a single class and assumes that you have a fighter, cleric, wizard, and a rogue in the party.

Knowing that, I need all the skill points I can get so I can keep Disable Device, Search, and Open Locks at max.

Our party will be made up of:

Dwarven Druid
Elven Cleric/Warlock
an archer of some sort
and my character Fighter/Rogue

Our tactic will be to attack from range as much as possible, but as enemies close I am expecting to take my character to the forefront to form the line as it were.

So she will need to wear at least medium armor which means that she wouldn't get much advantage from going Duelist because they only get that Int bonus to AC when wearing no armor or light armor. I want to get her a suit of +x Elven Chain Mail eventually, which will help in her mobility.

Also since she will be loosing some points of Bab, she is going to have to rely on magic and magic items to boost her hit percentage. To help make up for this she will be focused on feinting in melee, with Improved Feint she can feint as a move action and attack in the same round.

Here is what I am thinking for her feats:

1 Rogue 1 Skill Focus (bluff) Combat Expertise (also the reason for a high Int!), Sneak Attack +1d6, trap finding
2 Rogue 2 Evasion
3 Fighter 1 Quick Draw (since she will need to be able to switch from ranged to melee at a moments notice), Skill Focus (Disable Device)
4 Fighter 2 Improved Feint
5 Rogue 3 Sneak Attack +2d6
6 Fighter 3 Improved Initiative
7 Rogue 4 Uncanny Dodge
8 Fighter 4 Dodge
9 Rogue 5 Mobility, Sneak Attack +3d6
10 Fighter 5
11 Rogue 6 Trap Sense +1
12 Fighter 6 Spring Attack, Staggering Strike
13 Rogue 7 Sneak Attack +4d6
14 Fighter 7
15 Rogue 8 Bounding Assault, Improved Uncanny Dodge
16 Fighter 8 Combat Tactician
17 Rogue 9 Sneak Attack +5d6
18 Fighter 9 Deft Strike
19 Rogue 10 Rogue Special Ability
20 Fighter 10 ???

So, she will focus on being semi-mobile in combat, depending on the armor she is wearing.

What do you think? Tweaks?

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Order of the Bow Initiate (CW?) will give you mad ranged damage that stacks with your sneak attack and eventually I think you can fire in base-to-base contact without AoO.

The Nightsong Enforcer and Infiltrator (CAdv) are good team playing rogues. The Streetfighter and Vigilante (also CAdv) are slightly more martial rogues.

Oooo! I'll have to take another look at those!

Thanks

Bearfoot_Adam
10-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Well the downside of being the front line for melee combat is that your sneak attack won't really get much use. I would plan on the druid using animal form to draw off the melee so you could get on the flank.

nijineko
10-23-2008, 01:29 AM
invisible blade might be worth your while... only 5 levels, and +3d6 sneak attack. ^^ there is a "small" disadvantage to it, however. =D

master thrower also goes nicely with a rouge type, and the above.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Well the downside of being the front line for melee combat is that your sneak attack won't really get much use. I would plan on the druid using animal form to draw off the melee so you could get on the flank.

Hence the Improved Feint feat. Feint as a move action to cause my opponent to loose their Dexterity bonus to AC, thus granting sneak attack to come into play during a normal melee attack.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-23-2008, 11:12 AM
invisible blade might be worth your while... only 5 levels, and +3d6 sneak attack. ^^ there is a "small" disadvantage to it, however. =D

master thrower also goes nicely with a rouge type, and the above.

I don't like the Invisible Blade because I don't want to be stuck being focused on daggers.

I REALLY like the idea of Master Thrower and throwing daggers all the time, but out of our group she is going to be the one that gets into melee the most so I don't want to hamper her melee combat ability more than necessary.

MuslixtheMighty
10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I really wish I had not traded in all of my D&D 3.X books for I want to look up stuff and help but I got nothing to look in.

Already on the list!:D
See, I thought you listed those feats as ones we would help you pick from, sorry.

In the Complete Warrior, I think, there is a starting class called a "Swashbuckler" which basiclly is a fighter/rogue.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Here is what I am thinking now:

1 Rogue 1 Skill Focus (bluff) Combat Expertise (also the reason for a high Int!), Sneak Attack +1d6, trap finding
2 Rogue 2 Evasion
3 Fighter 1 Quick Draw (since she will need to be able to switch from ranged to melee at a moments notice), Skill Focus (Disable Device)
4 Fighter 2 Improved Feint
5 Rogue 3 Sneak Attack +2d6, Trap Sense +1
6 Fighter 3 Improved Initiative
7 Rogue 4 Uncanny Dodge
8 Fighter 4 Dodge
9 Rogue 5 Mobility, Sneak Attack +3d6
10 Fighter 5
11 Rogue 6 Trap Sense +2
12 Fighter 6 Spring Attack, Combat Reflexes
13 Rogue 7 Sneak Attack +4d6
14 Fighter 7
15 Rogue 8 Bounding Assault, Improved Uncanny Dodge
16 Fighter 8 Combat Tactician
17 Rogue 9 Sneak Attack +5d6, Trap Sense +3
18 Fighter 9 Defensive Sweep
19 Rogue 10 Rogue Special Ability
20 Fighter 10 Telling Blow

Levels 1 - 7 she will be the tough fighter type chick, attacking from range then closing to melee and relying on feinting to be able to deal an extra 2d6 damage to her melee attacks.

Levels 8 - 15 she becomes the more mobile around the battlefield, using mobility and bounding assault to attack twice and move. When necessary she can fall back on feinting to weaken her opponent.

Levels 16 - 20 she continues being the mobile combatant on the battlefield, but now she is causing opponents to keep their distance from her. She is dealing sneak attack damage on critical hits as well as still being able to rely on feinting to get sneak attack vs. opponents she gets into melee with.

Any problems with this? Would this be too hard to pull off? Any tweaks to make it better?

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-23-2008, 11:31 AM
In the Complete Warrior, I think, there is a starting class called a "Swashbuckler" which basiclly is a fighter/rogue.

There is indeed a Swashbuckler class!

However, I have an insatiable thirst for feats! So fighter is it for me. Also, it seems like it would be more difficult to make a rogue/swashbuckler character that is going to be able to survive on the front lines.

I do like the class, and it kind of fits with my theme, but I think I can simulate a similar "flavor" with feat choice and rogue/fighter levels.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Oh, we are starting at 4th level also.

MortonStromgal
10-23-2008, 03:29 PM
alittle off topic but I just loaded up Neverwinter Nights 1 again and have a Barbarian 3/ Rouge 2. Of course I had to call him Conan... Hes a lot of fun though so Fighter/Rogue sounds interesting to!

tesral
10-23-2008, 05:29 PM
I really wish I had not traded in all of my D&D 3.X books for I want to look up stuff and help but I got nothing to look in..

I said you would regret that move. I can put my hands on anything form the brown books to 3.5. (Sorry, no blue/red/gold, never bought them) I never ditch a gaming book.

Basxs
01-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Maybe Mithral brestplate might be better then elven chain for the better max dex bonus and armor check penalty

d-_-b
01-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I suggest you consider a reach weapon + combat reflexes feat if you're going to be the proverbial cork in the bottleneck and aiming your feats/PrC on the melee side of your characters fighting prowess. I don't have a specific PrC in mind but it seems to me that it is a sensible thing to do. After all, if all the other characters are built around ranged combat there's probably going to be enough damage potential without you too focusing on ranged feats.

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Well, here is the progression currently. Things have changed as far as players leaving and new characters joining the group. We now have a dwarven fighter so I dont have to worry about her being in melee alot anymore.

1.Rogue 1 Skill Focus (Disable Device), Dodge Trap Finding, Sneak Attack +1d6
2.Rogue 2 Evasion
3.Fighter 1 Weapon Finesse (short sword), Quick Draw
4.Fighter 2 Mobility Dex +1
5.Rogue 3 Trap Sense +1, Sneak Attack +2d6
6.Rogue 4 Improved Initiative Uncanny Dodge
7.Ranger 1 Retrain Skill Focus for Point Blank Shot, Track, 1st Favored Enemy, Wild Empathy
8.Ranger 2 Retrain Mobility for Precise Shot Combat Style (Rapid Shot), Dex +1
9.Ranger 3 Retrain Dodge for Telling Blow, Quick Reconnoiter, Endurance
10.Ranger 4 Retrain Weapon Finesse (ss) for Weapon Focus (c. longbow), Spells (1st), Urban Companion (ACF)
11.Ranger 5 2nd Favored Enemy, Spells (1st)
12.Ranger 6 Improved Precise Shot Spells (1st), Improved Combat Style (Manyshot), Dex +1
13.Ranger 7 Spells (1st), Woodland Stride
14.Ranger 8 Swift Tracker, Spells (2nd)
15.Ranger 9 Greater Manyshot Spell Reflection (ACF), Spells (2nd)
16.Ranger 10 3rd Favored Enemy, Wis+1, Spells (2nd)
17.Rogue 5 Sneak Attack +3d6
18.Rogue 6 Improved Rapid Shot Trap Sense +2
19.Rogue 7 Sneak Attack +4d6
20.Rogue 8 Improved Uncanny Dodge

Currently we are 7th level. She is 9 times out of 10 the scout of the group so Quick Recon is handy as well as the search and spot. I can't get past playing archers so im turning her into an archer.

She now has a +1 darkwood composit longbow (bought) and +1 mithral chainmail (found).