PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Ebay find...original woodgrain D&D box set!

ChaunceyK
10-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Dungeons-Dragons-woodgrain-box-set_W0QQitemZ270289852134QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 70289852134&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

...amazing, ain't it?! :eek:

raven21
10-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Wow that is amazing, but I don't think I would pay $410.00 for it

nijineko
10-19-2008, 10:20 PM
that's just where it is. the reserve is higher than that. ^^

ChaunceyK
10-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Holy crap...its up to $600, reserve STILL not met, and 6 days remaining!

You've gotta be one helluva dedicated D&D gamer to pay so much for it...if I were a bazillionaire, I'd buy it, stare at it for awhile, and then donate it to the Smithsonian. :lol:

GoddessGood
10-20-2008, 08:37 AM
There ought to be a gamer museum in Gygax's home town.

Grimwell
10-20-2008, 09:07 AM
It's interesting that the reserve is what he paid for it in 2007 and now he's selling it about 18 months later. Apparently the D&D rare books market is doing better than the Dow Jones? :)

MortonStromgal
10-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Not all that surprising collectors are crazy. I spent about $200 on lots to complete my shadowrun collection. I sold a few of them back on ebay as individuals (i already had them) and ended up making my $200 back with a bit of change...

nijineko
10-20-2008, 11:00 AM
well done. =)

MuslixtheMighty
10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I wonder if the buyer of that will actually play it, or just shove it into his closet for another 30 years.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-20-2008, 11:53 AM
I vote it goes into a gamers museum. No such thing? Well, there should be.

placebosonly
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
wow

tesral
10-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I wonder if the buyer of that will actually play it, or just shove it into his closet for another 30 years.

In the closet dude. The rules suck.

No, I wouldn't give him 60 bucks for it, never mind 600. I've got the books, I don't need a fancy box too (Had one, if died.)

Farcaster
10-20-2008, 03:24 PM
I might be willing to drop some change on collectable D&D materials, but not $600+ for one little box set. I do have the premium edition 4th edition books on order though. Well, actually, I have one on order, and I am waiting until after I check out the first one to decide if I buy the rest. That -- that I will do.

tesral
10-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I might be willing to drop some change on collectable D&D materials, but not $600+ for one little box set. I do have the premium edition 4th edition books on order though. Well, actually, I have one on order, and I am waiting until after I check out the first one to decide if I buy the rest. That -- that I will do.

The only "Premium" thing I own is the Encyclopedia Maigica and then only because it was on sale at fire sale prices. I got the whole set for the retail price of one. I just don't see a point in paying a premium price for the same content. I buy stuff to use and enjoy, not sit on a shelf and look at.

ChaunceyK
10-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Is there a transcription or a Cliff's Notes-style version posted somewhere? I'd be curious what the game mechanics were like in its early days.

(Cliff's Notes...showing my age. Today's kids would ask for a Dummy's/Idiot's version, lol!)

tesral
10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Is there a transcription or a Cliff's Notes-style version posted somewhere? I'd be curious what the game mechanics were like in its early days.

(Cliff's Notes...showing my age. Today's kids would ask for a Dummy's/Idiot's version, lol!)

Not that I know of.

Let's see. Three classes, Fighting men, Magic User, Cleric.
Races: Human, Dwarf, Elf Hobbit (Yes, Hobbit)
Dwarves could only be fighting men, Elves could be Magic users or fighting men, Hobbits fighting men only and all races except Human had some pretty nasty level restrictions. (4th level max for the useless Hobbit.)
Three Alignments, Law Neutral, Chaotic
All the rules fit into three digest sized book less than a half inch thick.
Hit dice, d4 Magic User, d6 Cleric, d8 Fighting Men.
AC went down.
THAC0 had yet to be invented, you really did need the chart.

raven21
10-20-2008, 07:31 PM

No, I wouldn't give him 60 bucks for it, never mind 600. I've got the books, I don't need a fancy box too (Had one, if died.)

I would give him $60 for it but that would be the most I would pay for it. And yes it was a very bland game in the beginning. You want a real kicker look at a picture of a Goblin, they don't look like you would expect them to.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Ive been known to collect items, but as i said on another thread, i do have a limit. Cool stuff, and yes, i'd love to look through it, but not for that price.

MuslixtheMighty
10-21-2008, 12:32 PM
The betting price has gone up some more and it has still not met the reserve. Any guesses on what the reserve might be?

I am thinking $750.

Farcaster
10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
I just don't see a point in paying a premium price for the same content. I buy stuff to use and enjoy, not sit on a shelf and look at.

Oh, I fully plan to use the "premium" edition 4e books. If for no other reason than it will help keep my books distinct from the rest of my players so that they don't accidently take mine and I don't accidently take theirs, which seems to happen every so often.

nijineko
10-21-2008, 06:50 PM
you can email the person to get the reserve price, according to the add.

tesral
10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh, I fully plan to use the "premium" edition 4e books. If for no other reason than it will help keep my books distinct from the rest of my players so that they don't accidently take mine and I don't accidently take theirs, which seems to happen every so often.

I put book plates in mine.

nijineko
10-21-2008, 07:06 PM
i sign mine in inconspicious places.

Farcaster
10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
i sign mine in inconspicious places.

As do I, but at 2am in the morning I sometimes forget to check while I'm putting my books away and I'll end up walking away with two PHB's for instance.

nijineko
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
hmmm, come to think of it... the bleary eyed end of session pre dawn book check might suffer a bit in trying to find all those hard to notice spots i signed.... ^^

bltzkrg242
10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
up to $650 for crap rules. The nostalgia is great but holy hell...

tesral
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
hmmm, come to think of it... the bleary eyed end of session pre dawn book check might suffer a bit in trying to find all those hard to notice spots i signed.... ^^

Hence bookplates.

Webhead
10-21-2008, 10:01 PM
As do I, but at 2am in the morning I sometimes forget to check while I'm putting my books away and I'll end up walking away with two PHB's for instance.

Well, we don't play into the wee hours anymore so that's not too much of a problem for me. I also shudder at the thought of writing in my books so I don't sign them, but I'm anal-retentive enough to end up with my own books again. For instance, my copy of the Star Wars Saga corebook that I bring to the game has a small distinct scratch mark on the back cover near the bound edge. If I find the scratch mark, I know the book is mine (yeah, I said I was anal-retentive).

If such methods aren't useful though, I usually can identify my books by keeping a bookmark or some other non-permanent form of identification. Then again, with the exception of D&D 3e (which I no longer own) or Star Wars (D6 and Saga), we really don't have a lot of duplicate copies of books that drift around our game table, so I guess it's less of an issue for me. For most of the other games that I ran, I was the sole owner of the books used.

nijineko
10-22-2008, 02:38 AM
yeah, i meet the traditional firetest of the dm now... owning more books than everyone else.

Lev Lafayette
10-22-2008, 06:17 AM
It's a pity it's not this copy of D&D which Greg Stafford owned.

http://www.weareallus.com/chaosium/thefirstdanddeversold.html

Skunkape
10-22-2008, 07:00 AM
I understand the concept behind the high price, but I know I wouldn't pay that much!

tesral
10-22-2008, 09:17 AM
I understand the concept behind the high price, but I know I wouldn't pay that much!

Successfully attach "collectible" to dog poo and you can sell it for some ghodd-awful high price. Some people really are funny that way.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-22-2008, 10:43 AM
It's a pity it's not this copy of D&D which Greg Stafford owned.

http://www.weareallus.com/chaosium/thefirstdanddeversold.html
That totally sucks. He's got to be hurting, no doubt.

Skunkape
10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Successfully attach "collectible" to dog poo and you can sell it for some ghodd-awful high price. Some people really are funny that way.

:)A friend of mine told me last night that he was watching a special about the auction of most of the Star Trek props that Paramount had. Some of the items were going for hundreds of thousands of dollars!

tesral
10-22-2008, 10:29 PM
:)A friend of mine told me last night that he was watching a special about the auction of most of the Star Trek props that Paramount had. Some of the items were going for hundreds of thousands of dollars!

That collectible thing happening.

ChaunceyK
10-23-2008, 07:27 AM

I sat in one of the 3 original Captain Kirk chairs this summer. There was a big Star Trek exhibit at the Space & Air Museum (or something to that effect) in California when I was vacationing this past August. It wasn't as big as the one I've heard about in Las Vegas, but it was still pretty cool. :cool:

Skunkape
10-23-2008, 07:47 AM
That collectible thing happening.

Real funny thing about collectible things, pretty much everyone I've ever gotten that's collectible, didn't cost anywhere near what people will pay for it today!:)

Course it would be nice to have the kind of money to be able to blow it on some expensive collectible items!:lol:

For instance, I have a Champions module, don't remember the name of it, but it got pulled off of the shelves because it was found offensive by a particular group of people. I managed to obtain a copy of it prior to it getting pulled off the shelves. It's never been opened, but I'm pretty sure it's worth a whole lot more than the cover price that I paid for it.

Granted, since it's a gaming module, I can't expect to get anywhere near as much money, but I'd bet it's worth more now than when I bought it around 23 years ago!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm wondering what's offensive about it. I'm curious.

Still though, very cool you grabbed it, i would have too if given the chance.

Farcaster
10-23-2008, 03:07 PM
So, is anyone here actually bidding on this thing?

nijineko
10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
nope! i might be slightly tempted if i had money to waste... but even then it would be unlikely.

Webhead
10-23-2008, 04:05 PM
No. Definately not me. Now, were someone selling a modern reprint of the set for around $20, I might buy it for nostalgic purposes. But I'm not really a "collector" in that sense.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-23-2008, 04:16 PM
No. Definately not me. Now, were someone selling a modern reprint of the set for around $20, I might buy it for nostalgic purposes. But I'm not really a "collector" in that sense.
Now this i could go for. I'd too would buy it for $20.00 for nostalgic purposes.

tesral
10-23-2008, 05:23 PM
So, is anyone here actually bidding on this thing?

If I had $600 burning a hole in my pocket I would be spending it on something else (Like fixing some of my old hardware). I have the books, two sets in fact. The box isn't worth that much.

ChaunceyK
10-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Bidding just ended. $700, with reserve still not met.

I didn't bid on it...but had I known it would go so high, I might've made one of the opening bids. Not because of any hope I'd win it at such a low price, just so I could say I bid on a piece of D&D history.
:laugh:

Skunkape
10-24-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm wondering what's offensive about it. I'm curious.

Still though, very cool you grabbed it, i would have too if given the chance.

It has some super powered individuals traveling back in time to assassinate Hitler before he gains power in Germany. That of course radically changes the present and the PCs are supposed to go back and stop the assassination.

1958Fury
10-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Not because of any hope I'd win it at such a low price, just so I could say I bid on a piece of D&D history.
:laugh:

You can still say it. I'll back you up. ;)

Webhead
10-24-2008, 09:40 AM
It has some super powered individuals traveling back in time to assassinate Hitler before he gains power in Germany. That of course radically changes the present and the PCs are supposed to go back and stop the assassination.

Of course! It's so obvious! Why would anyone ever publish this thing? Don't they realize what they are doing? They must be insane or some kind of Neo-Nazis! Pull it from the market! Our childrens' minds must not be tainted with this blasphemy!

:rolleyes:

Skunkape
10-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Of course! It's so obvious! Why would anyone ever publish this thing? Don't they realize what they are doing? They must be insane or some kind of Neo-Nazis! Pull it from the market! Our childrens' minds must not be tainted with this blasphemy!

:rolleyes:

LOL!

Well, in all honesty, it was 20 some odd years ago, so I was surprised when I found out about the big stink or should I say, the big enough stink that it got pulled!:)

Course, I've never been one to be politically correct!:eek:

nijineko
10-24-2008, 05:04 PM
i can see why that would have been considered radical or offensive. on the other hand, i can also see why preserving the continuity of the time stream would have a large moral weight attached as well. i think it was intended as one of those moral quandaries.

Skunkape
10-25-2008, 06:52 PM
i can see why that would have been considered radical or offensive. on the other hand, i can also see why preserving the continuity of the time stream would have a large moral weight attached as well. i think it was intended as one of those moral quandaries.

That's what I think they originally intended with the game, but unfortunately, the pissed someone off with publishing it so...

Better for me though as I managed to get ahold of it. I just pulled it out from the shelves I keep it on to remember the name of it, "Wings of the Valkyrie".

cplmac
08-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Counting the players and myself, the DM, we have a total of 10 people in our 2E game. By searching on Ebay, on of our members has been able to obtain 2E PHBs and now we have one for each person in our group. Makes it nice that everyone can look up info when ever they need to instead of having to share just a couple of copies amongst the group.