PDA

View Full Version : Home Grown Spells

Tony Misfeldt
10-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Just as the title says, this thread is for sharing home grown spells that aren't available in any books other than your character/DM notes. Here's one of mine...

Spell: Thriller
School: Necromancy
Level: 9th level WIZ/SOR/BARD spell
Components: V, S, F
Range: 100 yards
Area Of Effect: 30 yard radius
Casting time: 1 round
Duration: Aproximately 5 minutes
Saving Throw: Special
Discription:
This spell is a combination of the spells Magic Mouth, Otto's Irresistable Dance, Domination, and Control Undead. Once cast on the undead, all those affected begin singing and dancing as though they were in Michael Jackson's Thriller video. Once they begin to sing and dance, they continue to do so for the entire duration of the song. The spell affects 2d6 hit dice of undead per level of caster, with no upward limit. Thus a 40th level wizard could affect 80d6 hit dice of undead. All unintelligent or quasi-intelligent undead, such as zombies, skeletons, ghouls, ghasts, etc, are automatically affected with no saving throw. Any intelligent undead, such as vampires, liches, ghosts, etc, get a Saving Throw vs Will to avoid the effects (or Save vs Spells if you're playing an earlier edition of D&D). While singing and dancing, the undead are incapable of fighting or defending themselves in any way, giving PCs plenty of free shots with which to destroy them. Once the song ends, however, they resume their normal activities. The focal component to this spell is a silver sequined glove worn on the right hand. The somatic component is to spin around, go up onto your tiptoes, grab your crotch with your left hand, thrust your pelvis forward, throw your right hand into the air, and say the vocal component, which is "WOOOO! WHAT TIME IS IT?"

Mindbomb
10-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Nice one. I'll post mine as soon as I've got more time.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Cool! Great thread, Tony. I love homebrew spells. I'll be keeping track of this thread.

I'd love to share my own spells except a computer crash last year left me without my digital spellbook. :sad:

Tony Misfeldt
10-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Spell: The Midas Touch
School: Alteration
Level: 7th level WIZ/SOR/BARD
Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch
Area Of Effect: Special
Casting Time: Special
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Save vs Reflex to Negate (or Save vs Petrification in earlier editions)
Description:
By casting this spell, anything touched by the caster turns to solid gold. The casting time for the spell itself is 7, then the caster has one round per level in which to discharge the magic (rather like a Shocking Grasp spell). The spell will affect only the one object or creature touched. In the case of touching extremely large objects or creatures, the spell has limitations. For large inanimate objects (boulders, mountains, buildings, etc), the spell will turn a 10' x 10' x 10 cubic area into gold. In the case of extremely large creatures (giants, dragons, demons, etc), the spell affects creatures with up to one hit die per level of caster. Thus a 20th level wizard could turn a 200 cubic foot section of mountain, a 13 hit die giant, or a 20 hit die dragon into solid gold. This spell is not reversable and cannot be dispelled with anything less powerful than a Wish. This spell should be used with extreme caution, as it could potensially be extremely devestating to a world's economy. The material components for this spell are gold dust, lead powder or shavings, the powdered scales of a gold dragon, and the powdered skull from the snake off a medusa's head (or a midassa's, if you're using my medusa offshoots).

Tony Misfeldt
10-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Spell: Woodsteel; Bonesteel; Stonesteel
School: Alteration
Level: 8th level WIZ/SOR/BARD
Area Of Effect: One Object
Casting Time: 8
Saving Throw: N/A
Description:
These spells were created by a barbarian witchdoctor (ie: a sorcerer raised in a barbarian society) in order to make the simple wood, bone, and stone weapons and sheilds the tribes warriors used more effective against the metal weapons and armour of their more civilized enemies. They're essentially dirivatives of the more common spell Glassteel. Woodsteel makes any piece of wood as hard and as durable as solid steel. A wooden club with this spell cast upon it will never break, can't be burned, and is far deadlier than your standard wooden club. One can even make wooden swords, knives, and axes that are every bit as effective as their steel cousins. Bonesteel makes any single bone as hard and as durable as steel. Like Woodsteel weapons and armour, any tools, weapons or armour made of bone that have Bonesteel cast upon them are as strong and as durable as their more civilized metal cousins. Bonesteel even works on ivory. And finally, Stonesteel makes stone weapons and tools as hard and as strong and durable as steel. Stone daggers and axes, and stone arrow and spear heads, which have had Stonesteel cast upon them no longer have a chance of breaking when they strike something solid (such as a metal shield or weapon). The material components for Woodsteel is a pinch of iron powder or steel shavings and a bit of sawdust or wood chips. The material components for Bonesteel are a pinch of iron powder or steel shavings and some powdered bones or bone chips. The material components for Stonesteel are iron powder or steel shavings and a few pebbles.

cplmac
10-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Tony, I like the Woodsteel, Bonesteel, Stonesteel spell. I may have to add that one to a list of spells available for my 2E groups magic users. I also like how you made it an 8th level spell. This way it isn't that easy to get to use it.

I will be watching for other spells that will be interesting to add.

raven21
10-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Spell: Flame Web
School: Evocation/ Alteration
Level: 2 Wiz/Bard
Range 10 yards/level
Duration: 2 turns every 2 levels
Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: Special

The Flame Web spell creates a many-layered mass of strong, sticky strand similar to spider webs but far larger and tougher.
The spell covers a maximum 20' x 20 x 20' web for burning purposes it must be 20 feet thick. Anyone who touches it will be stuck in the web at 1/2 strength.
Anyone in the area when the spell is cast must roll a saving throw vs. spell with a -2 penalty. If the saving throw is successful, two things may have occurred. If the creature has room to escape the are, then it is assumed to have jumped free and only suffers 1d4 from heat damage. If there is no room to escape, then the webs are only at half strength and they take 2d4 plus 1 point per level to a maximum of 20. At 1/2 strength the web starts off by restraining creatures with 7 or less strength are stuck until freed and each round decreases by 1 from the web burring its self down to 0 that is when the web is fully consumed 1 foot of web can be broken through each round. Missile weapons are ineffective against creatures stuck in the web and the web its self, but wooden ones will burn causing an additional 1d4 damage.
The normal web will start of restrain creatures of 13 or lower strength or until freed and each round decreases by 1 from the web burring its self down to 0 that is when the web is fully consumed and they take 1d6 from being hit and each round after 2d4 plus 1 point per level to a maximum of 20 from the web burning.1 foot of web can be broken through each round unless creature has 18 strength then is 2 feet a round. Extremely strong and massive creatures break through 4 feet of web around. If the web is 1/2 strength then 18 strength or higher and massive creatures break through 2 x as much web.
The material component is a pinch of sulfur and a bit of a spider web. The sulfur is rubbed into the spider web.

Mindbomb
10-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Spell: Rheanin Clause's Illusory Battle Damage, (+Greater & Mass)
School: Illusion, Abjuration
Level: 6,7,8th Arcane
Area Of Effect: Touched
Casting Time: 1min
Duration: 1hr/3 lvls
Saving Throw: Will Negates(Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes(Harmless)
Description: This spell was created by a Gnome Illusionist member of The Bleak Cabal, Rheanin Clause. While caught in the Blood Wars on Elysium fighting the proxies there, Rheanin and his fellow Bleakers thought it would be nice to be able to make them believe that they were taking much more damage than they actually were. To lure them into a trap of an (undead) ambush.
This spell functions similar to Stoneskin in most respects (The subject gains damage reduction 10/adamantium and once the spell has prevented a total of 10 points of damage per caster level (max 150 points), it is discharged.) with the added bonus of having all attacks that hit appear to do what the attacker intended to the extent of non-dismemberment.
Greater: Change it to DR 10 and add dismembering illusion.
Mass: As Greater with an Area of Affect: All allies within 120'.

Tony Misfeldt
10-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Spell: Rheanin Clause's Illusory Battle Damage, (+Greater & Mass)
School: Illusion, Abjuration
Level: 6,7,8th Arcane
Area Of Effect: Touched
Casting Time: 1min
Duration: 1hr/3 lvls
Saving Throw: Will Negates(Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes(Harmless)
Description: This spell was created by a Gnome Illusionist member of The Bleak Cabal, Rheanin Clause. While caught in the Blood Wars on Elysium fighting the proxies there, Rheanin and his fellow Bleakers thought it would be nice to be able to make them believe that they were taking much more damage than they actually were. To lure them into a trap of an (undead) ambush.
This spell functions similar to Stoneskin in most respects (The subject gains damage reduction 10/adamantium and once the spell has prevented a total of 10 points of damage per caster level (max 150 points), it is discharged.) with the added bonus of having all attacks that hit appear to do what the attacker intended to the extent of non-dismemberment.
Greater: Change it to DR 10 and add dismembering illusion.
Mass: As Greater with an Area of Affect: All allies within 120'.
Oh, I like that one.

Mindbomb
10-18-2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks, that means alot.

Tony Misfeldt
10-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Tony, I like the Woodsteel, Bonesteel, Stonesteel spell. I may have to add that one to a list of spells available for my 2E groups magic users. I also like how you made it an 8th level spell. This way it isn't that easy to get to use it.

I will be watching for other spells that will be interesting to add.

I'm glad you liked them. They're actually three seperate spells, I just grouped them together like that because I didn't want to have to write everything out three times. My rule of thumb for homegrown spells is if you're altering an existing spell (in this case Glassteel), you add at least one to the spells level. If I remember correctly, Glassteel is a 6th or 7th level spell, thus the wood, bone, and stone variations are all 8th level. If a DM personally feels that they should all be the same spell level, he should feel free to change it as he sees fit.

Tony Misfeldt
10-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Spell: Nuke
School: Invocation/Evocation
Level: 9th level WIZ (2E) or Epic Level WIZ/SOR/BARD (3E+)
Components:V, S, M
Range: 2500 Yards
Area Of Effect: Special
Casting Time: One Turn
Duration: Instantaneous
Spell Resistance: Yes
Description:
This is a very, VERY potent version of the Delayed Blast Fireball spell. Just as with the more common variety, casting this spell causes a tiny ember to float gently towards its target. Then it explodes doing 10d10X10 damage to everything within a 1000 yard radius. Everything within that area gets NO SAVING THROW. The heat of the blast is so intense that for every point of damage done, the devastation expands by one yard. Anyone outside the immediate area of effect gets to Save vs Reflex for half damage. Furthermore, for every yard outside the area of effect, you subtract 1 point of damage done to those caught in the heat wave. For example, a mage covers his hands with Dust Of Damage and then casts Nuke, ensuring he does max damage. A person standing 1999 yards away from ground zero will only take 1 point of damage (or none if he makes his Save vs Reflex). Someone one yard closer to ground zero will take 2 points of damage (or 1 if he makes his save), etc. Obviously this spell should not be handed out to PCs except for in extreme circumstances, like having to cripple the hordes of Mordor for example. Originally I had created this spell for NPC use, for when PCs got too big for their britches (the ultimate munchkin killer). It was designed by a LG wizard (who's also an ancient gold dragon) to protect the small kingdom he had sworn to guard for all time. Thus it's not very likely to be used very often, unless it's stolen from his spellbook. The material components for this spell are guano from a red or gold dragon, sulpher, blood from a red or gold dragon, and the powdered scales of a red or gold dragon.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-28-2008, 01:19 AM
There really are a couple of great spells here.

<putting a copy of them in my secret evil dm's notebook>

tesral
10-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Blackmane's Burst Throw (Evocation)
Level 1
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 1 action
Area of Effect: 1 opponent + 1 opponent per level

This spell causes a wave of blue light to flashes across the caster's body causing creatures touching the target at the time to be forcefully thrown 10+2d8 feet from the caster (within the spell limit). The flash itself does no damage but causes all thrown creatures to make a Fortitude save or be stunned for one round. Stunned creatures will be unable to recover from the fall, pick up weapons or otherwise attack. Stunned creatures can defend with a -4 to the AC and no Dexterity bonus to armor class. Any creature in close proximity to the caster may be carried off by the thrown creatures. Note: Giant size creatures such as dragons will only have the area of their body touching the caster affected, claws, tail, jaw, etc. A failed save means the affected limb cannot be used in the next round.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-29-2008, 12:14 AM
I feel like a low level Magick User... again. :wink: My spellbook is getting bigger and bigger and even more valuable as the days go by. Keep 'em coming, and i'll keep entering them into my Tome of Magick.

All funning aside, i hope to participate too on this thread, i just have to find my homebrew spells. I must have packed them somewhere, for i am moving to the Bay Area in the next few months, and just have :noidea: where to locate them. Frustrating, but :ohwell:

Check out my haste spell: :bolt:

Pretty good, eh?

tesral
10-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Suszan's Sunscreen
Level: 1st
Researched by: Suszan McDonald
Range: touch
Components: V, S
Duration: 18 hours
Casting time: 1 action
Area of Effect: creature touched
Saving Throw: none

This spell protects the creature touched from sunburn for the duration of the spell. It will not protect the eyes form damage from looking at the sun, heatstroke, sunstroke, or dehydration. It does not give any protection from heat or fire.

Suszan's Umbrella
Level: 1st
Researched By: Suszan McDonald
Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: 3 turns + 1turn/level
Casting Time: 1 action
Area of Effect: 1 person
Saving Throw: none

The Umbrella spell is a modified Tenser's Floating Disc. Instead of following the casting mage the spell forms a curving field over their head. This field extends three feet on all sides of the recipient. The field will repel rain, snow, or other forms of precipitation as if it where a solid object. It will stop hail up to .5 inches across, objects larger that .5 inches will fall unimpeded by the field. The field will remain over the recipient no matter how they move. The spell will not work if there is not at least 20 feet clearance above the recipient's head. This does not include over head foliage.

Manes
02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Here are a few spells that my longest played character had developed over his illustrious career. Ditnor was a generalist mage created under 2nd ed rules that had achieved level 28 by the time he was retired. I kinda want to share them all as I have many but if you ever encounter him in battle I would like a few surprises left.

Cloud of Mirrors
Level: 7 (Enchantment/Alteration)
researched by Ditnor the Archmage
Range: Personal
Components: V,S,M
Duration: 1d4+1 turns
Casting time: 5
Area of Effect: Personal

This Spell enchants the shards of a broken mirror to form a cloud of whirling polished glass swirling around the caster. The mirror shards grant the following benefits:
gaze reflection - any gaze attack targeted at the caster is automatically reflected.
360 vision - The caster is imbued with all-round vision, therefore cannot be surprised or back stabbed
Protection from Light based attacks: reflects all spell and spell like effects that are light based including prismatic spray, prismatic wall, prismatic sphere, hypnotic pattern, light, color spray, ruby ray of reversal, rainbow, and air lens.
Attack - The cloud can be directed to attack a single target causing 1d4 per caster level thereby destroying the cloud. A save vs. breath weapon for half damage. The shards count as a magical weapon with no plusses for the sake of their ability to hit.
The material component is a mirror which must be broken at the time of casting.

Intermidable Bowels(reversible)
Level: 2 (Necromancy)
Duration: Instantanious
Casting time: 2
Area of Effect: 1 creature per caster level

This spell can be as baneful as beneficial. If a creature is suffering diarrhea or constipation this spell will relieve those symptoms. If cast on a healthy subject the target will begin to suffer explosive diarrhea in 1d4 rounds that will last for 1d6 rounds. During this time the target will be unable to act except to void their bowels. The target will lose 1 HP per round the defecation occurs.
The material component is a hot pepper or a sponge (for the reverse).
The reverse of this spell causes constipation for 1d6 days during this time the target will not heal naturally and lose 1 hp per day.

Paper Warriors
Level: 4 (Alteration/Enchantment)
Area of Effect: special
Saving Throw: na

This spell enchants a piece of paper that the wizard must tear or cut into the shape of humanoids. The paper warriors are medium and roughly humanoid in shape, they each can carry 10 lbs. The paper warriors attack with their fists as a warrior of equal level to the caster for 1 point of damage per attack and a 1% chance for a KO. Paper warrirors can use a weapon if furnished with one, but it must not exceed 5 lbs and has no proficiency. The paper warrior has 1-2 hp and is considered a 0 hd monster (it has no life force), it has no intelligence and will not comprehend complex instructions, only simple commands may be employed, eg. attack, carry, follow, defend, etc... the paper warrior will obey its last command tirelessly until destroyed. Any fire damage immediately destroys the paper warrior with no save.
The material component is a sheet of paper.

Needle and Thread
Level: 6 (Alteration/Enchantment)
Range: 10 +10 yards/level
Components: S,M
Duration: 1 turn/ level

This spell enchants a needle to act under the command of the caster. Whlie enchanted the needle can enact any of the following actions 1 per round:
1. Mend as per the 1st level mage spell
2. Stab for 1-2 points of damage
3. Pin- sew a targets clothing to itself or another nearby cloth item, cloth must fail a save vs, fire to break free expending 1 action.
4. Surgeons stitch - Closes an open wound stopping any bleed damage and restoring 1-2 hp per closed wound, this effect cannot restore HP to the normal maximum and can only affect each open wound once.
5. Embroider - Write one word or draw one symbol, the caster may use this for any spell requiring a graphic component (ie. symbol)
The Needle attacks as a warrior equal to the casters level.

Tony Misfeldt
02-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Here are a few spells that my longest played character had developed over his illustrious career. Ditnor was a generalist mage created under 2nd ed rules that had achieved level 28 by the time he was retired. I kinda want to share them all as I have many but if you ever encounter him in battle I would like a few surprises left.

Cloud of Mirrors
Level: 7 (Enchantment/Alteration)
Duration: 1d4+1 turns
Casting time: 5
Area of Effect: Personal

This Spell enchants the shards of a broken mirror to form a cloud of whirling polished glass swirling around the caster. The mirror shards grant the following benefits:
gaze reflection - any gaze attack targeted at the caster is automatically reflected.
360 vision - The caster is imbued with all-round vision, therefore cannot be surprised or back stabbed
Protection from Light based attacks: reflects all spell and spell like effects that are light based including prismatic spray, prismatic wall, prismatic sphere, hypnotic pattern, light, color spray, ruby ray of reversal, rainbow, and air lens.
Attack - The cloud can be directed to attack a single target causing 1d4 per caster level thereby destroying the cloud. A save vs. breath weapon for half damage. The shards count as a magical weapon with no plusses for the sake of their ability to hit.
The material component is a mirror which must be broken at the time of casting.

Intermidable Bowels(reversible)
Level: 2 (Necromancy)
Duration: Instantanious
Casting time: 2
Area of Effect: 1 creature per caster level

This spell can be as baneful as beneficial. If a creature is suffering diarrhea or constipation this spell will relieve those symptoms. If cast on a healthy subject the target will begin to suffer explosive diarrhea in 1d4 rounds that will last for 1d6 rounds. During this time the target will be unable to act except to void their bowels. The target will lose 1 HP per round the defecation occurs.
The material component is a hot pepper or a sponge (for the reverse).
The reverse of this spell causes constipation for 1d6 days during this time the target will not heal naturally and lose 1 hp per day.

Paper Warriors
Level: 4 (Alteration/Enchantment)

This spell enchants a piece of paper that the wizard must tear or cut into the shape of humanoids. The paper warriors are medium and roughly humanoid in shape, they each can carry 10 lbs. The paper warriors attack with their fists as a warrior of equal level to the caster for 1 point of damage per attack and a 1% chance for a KO. Paper warrirors can use a weapon if furnished with one, but it must not exceed 5 lbs and has no proficiency. The paper warrior has 1-2 hp and is considered a 0 hd monster (it has no life force), it has no intelligence and will not comprehend complex instructions, only simple commands may be employed, eg. attack, carry, follow, defend, etc... the paper warrior will obey its last command tirelessly until destroyed. Any fire damage immediately destroys the paper warrior with no save.
The material component is a sheet of paper.

Needle and Thread
Level: 6 (Alteration/Enchantment)
Range: 10 +10 yards/level
Components: S,M
Duration: 1 turn/ level

This spell enchants a needle to act under the command of the caster. Whlie enchanted the needle can enact any of the following actions 1 per round:
1. Mend as per the 1st level mage spell
2. Stab for 1-2 points of damage
3. Pin- sew a targets clothing to itself or another nearby cloth item, cloth must fail a save vs, fire to break free expending 1 action.
4. Surgeons stitch - Closes an open wound stopping any bleed damage and restoring 1-2 hp per closed wound, this effect cannot restore HP to the normal maximum and can only affect each open wound once.
5. Embroider - Write one word or draw one symbol, the caster may use this for any spell requiring a graphic component (ie. symbol)
The Needle attacks as a warrior equal to the casters level.

These are pretty cool. Good work!

Manes
02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Paper warriors creates 1-4 warriors per caster level.

Tony Misfeldt
03-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Improved/Greater Touch Me Not

School: Abjuration
Level: Brd 4(Improved)/6(Greater); Wiz/Sor 4(Improved)/6(Greater)
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Target: Caster
Duration: 5 rounds/level (Improved); 10 rounds/level (Greater)
Saving Throw: Will = Half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Description

These are upgraded versions of the 2nd level spell defensive spell Touch Me Not (The Book Of Erotic Fantasy, Page 118). The fourth level spell, Improved Touch Me Not, the spell grants the caster a +4 bonus to their AC. When an enemy grapples with the caster, the attacker suffers 2d8 damage +1/level (to a maximum of 2d8+10) per round that they're grappling.

The 6th level spell, Greater Touch Me Not, grants the caster a +6 bonus to their AC. In addition, when an attacker grapples the caster, the attacker takes 3d8 damage, +1/level of caster (to a maximum of 3d8+15) per round that their grappling.

Like the original 2nd level spell, these improved versions were designed to be used defensively to protect the caster from sexual assault. However they can be used offensively as well, by the caster electing to grapple with his/her opponent. Only grappling attacks (headlocks, choke holds, bear hugs, etc) cause damage, not touch attacks (slap on the shoulder, punch to the face, etc). Thus you don't have to worry about unintentionally injuring someone by accident through casual contact.

Like the original 2nd level spell, these spells stack with other defensive spells (such as Mage Armor), as well as defensive magic items (Ring Of Protection, Bracers Of Armor, etc). However they do NOT stack with each other. If a more powerful version of Touch Me Not is cast while a lower level version is still in effect, or vice versa, the more powerful version cancels out the lesser one wasting both the effort and the spell. Thus Improved Touch Me Not cancels out Touch Me Not, and Greater Touch Me Not cancels out both.