PDA

View Full Version : Capital cities

Bearfoot_Adam
10-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Would any of you out there know of a capital city in medieval times that had a smaller population than another city in it's domain. I know that there are plenty of modern examples but not sure of historic. The closest thing I can think of is possibly there were some cities in the Roman empire that may have been larger than Rome itself, possibly Alexandria.

Grimwell
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Constantinople was larger than Rome I believe. Not at all time, but eventually and before the fall of the Roman Empire.

Greylond
10-14-2008, 04:25 PM
It depended on the political situation. For example the Rome/Alexandria example, Alexandria was already a huge city when Rome conquered Egypt.

Most times in nations that hadn't conquered a neighbor within a few decades then the capital would be bigger. I'd say it all depended on the political situation along with trade/resources. If there was a city bigger than the capital then there should be a good reason for it in the nations history. Perhaps the capital is inland and the nation has grown into a strong economy based on trade and therefore has had its major port grow suddenly.