PDA

View Full Version : Death Gate Cycle RPG?

GoddessGood
10-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I've heard that a Death Gate Cycle RPG (based on a great 7-book series by Weis and Hickman) is "in the works" from Weis' production company (same one that made the Serenity RPG). What I read is that it's "not for the 2008 time frame" but that it is the process of development.

So I've been pondering trying to recreate the magic of that universe using various systems with little to no luck, mainly because of the magic system. Has anyone else had an interest in this or attempted to create such a setting/system? How have your attempts faired?

http://www.margaretweis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9

Webhead
10-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Tell us a little bit more about magic within the context of the series and what makes it unique.

I've done some heavy conversions to the magic system in Unisystem to make it fit the unique behaviors of magic in the Dresden Files book series, so I might be able to offer some insight depending on the nature of magic in the Death Gate Cycle.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
I would have liked them to put out more Surrenity modules before putting their eggs in different baskets.

GoddessGood
10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
There are two main classes of magic, but both are runic in nature. They are practiced by two races, the Sartan and the Patryn (keep in mind it's been a few years since I read the books, so I may be a bit off). From what I remember, the Patryns were a more visceral and tribal lot. To protect themselves they are tattooed at birth all over their bodies except for their heads, palms and the soles of their feet. Each rune connects with the others in unique ways and by tracing the runes on your skin with your fingers in certain patterns you cast different spells. The same runes can connect in different ways to make a completely different effect or no effect at all.

The Sartan were supposedly more enlightened and cultured. Their manipulation of the same runic principles involves intoning them and inscribing them in the air and on the floor in a flowing, shuffling dance with similar effects as the Patryn magic. I don't have the books on me at the moment, or I'd give some sample effects. This, however gives the basic gist.