PDA

View Full Version : Character Generator

ChaunceyK
10-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Can anyone recommend something like this...

http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm

...only finished? I'm brand new to 4E, haven't played in 20 years, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the books. I'm more of a visual learner, not a book learner, and a (finished) tool like what PathGuy has would be a great help to me.

Thank you.

Kalanth
10-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Wizards stated that they will have closed Beta on their character generator relatively soon considering that they are going live with paid susbscriptions as of today. I have not seen many character generators out there, but I know that Hero Forge is a good option. While not a generator, it is a fill in the blanks spread sheet that kind of holds your hand as you go through. I would give up a link, but I am at work and the site is blocked by the firewall here. A quick google search will reveal it in no time though.

ChaunceyK
10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Googling worked, thanks. But it appears their 4e version is incomplete as well.

Anyone else?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Shucks! Ah well, one will pop up soon for i guarantee there are dnd fans programming them as we speak. Some of the coolest stuff on the net are creations of big-time fans.

ChaunceyK
10-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Well, when it does, I'm sure someone will post about it here. :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Well, when it does, I'm sure someone will post about it here. :)
No doubt about it. We have a great community here and everyone likes to keep his/her gamer brothers and sisters well informed. I'm sure it will be posted here within an hour of it being posted on the net. :)

frank634
10-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Wizards stated that they will have closed Beta on their character generator relatively soon considering that they are going live with paid susbscriptions as of today. I have not seen many character generators out there, but I know that Hero Forge is a good option. While not a generator, it is a fill in the blanks spread sheet that kind of holds your hand as you go through. I would give up a link, but I am at work and the site is blocked by the firewall here. A quick google search will reveal it in no time though.

You are correct, Wizards went live with the paid subscription and plan to release a Beta to any paid subscriber.

At the Gencon convention, they also had a beta running as they were using it so players can write up characters for the RPGA events. I found the program very good. There were some bugs (as expected in the early beta) but a very good program. I believe my players and I will use it extensively in the future.

They also had beta's running for the other programs as well. Again very buggy but showed promise.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-15-2008, 11:10 AM
You are correct, Wizards went live with the paid subscription and plan to release a Beta to any paid subscriber.

At the Gencon convention, they also had a beta running as they were using it so players can write up characters for the RPGA events. I found the program very good. There were some bugs (as expected in the early beta) but a very good program. I believe my players and I will use it extensively in the future.

They also had beta's running for the other programs as well. Again very buggy but showed promise.
I'm looking forward to the alpha release of said programs. Wont that be nice.

Tsquared80
10-21-2008, 01:37 PM
I picked up a nice character sheet generator from http://dnd4.com/dd-4th-edition-character-sheet . You can download the Excel file and just fill in the blanks. I won't use anything else now.

ChaunceyK
11-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Just found a nice one here...

http://www.ibisfightclub.co.uk/dnd

...and it even makes power cards!

Kalanth
11-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Having played with the WoTC character builder I can say that is the best character designer I have seen yet. Easy to use, makes a nice character sheet, and does power cards along with a few other perks. Definetly worth it once it goes full version.

placebosonly
11-25-2008, 01:19 PM
im not sure if it does 4e or not but "hero lab" is a nice program usuable for more than one game (you just need to get the rules downloaded from the site) but i wont use anything else to make an npc for anygame these days really streamlines the whole thing and for d10 games even calculates dicepools google it to find it