PDA

View Full Version : Burning First Age

Rymbeld
10-09-2008, 09:55 PM
This game will be set in Middle-Earth's First Age, specifically right after the events in Chapter 12 of Children of Hurin. In this chapter, Hurin returns home to find the land enslaved by Easterlings who had allied themselves with Morgoth. He slays Brodda and several men, but then leaves. When I first read this, I wondered to myself, “what happens to those left behind? Are they doomed?” They all insist that Hurin leave immediately and bemoan the fact that other men will soon arrive and punish those who remain. This game will be the story of those downtrodden slaves who remain, and you will take on the role of one of them. What will you do? Will you try to fight back? Will you beg for forgiveness? Will you try to run away, escape?

You have only a matter of days.

Readings.
In order to participate in this game, some preliminary reading is required. Other readings are recommended.

Required: The Silmarillion, chapters 17, 18, 20 (30 pages); CoH chapter 12 (11 pages).
Strongly Recommended: The Silmarillion chapters 12 and 14; “The Heroic Literature of the North,” from the introduction to E.V.Gordon, An Introduction to Old Norse (.pdf provided; 7 pages)
Recommended: The Silmarillion (omit Akallabēth and Of The Rings of Power and the Third Age); The Children of Hurin. If you decide to read all of this material, I recommend that you read SL first, in its entirety before moving on to CoH.

Obviously, this game is going to be tailored for people who are very enamoured with Tolkien. The real point of having “required reading” is to ensure that we are all on the same page and working from the same “text.”

Player Characters.
The Characters will all be thralls of the Easterlings residing in Dor-Lomin.

Lifepaths.
Since the characters are all either very young or very old, and represent essentially a worn-out slave population, lifepath choices will be restrained. Keep in mind that nearly the entire fighting population of the region has been slaughtered: you represent those too young or infirm to be able to wage war or put up an effective resistance.

The first major restriction is this: Dor-Lomin has been occupied for 23 years. Therefore, the last 23 years of any character's life must have been spent in a servitude lifepath.

The number of lifepaths a character may walk is either 2 or 8. The following restrictions apply:
The final lifepath must be chosen from the servitude setting.
Eight lifepath characters may walk no more than 4 different lifepaths, including Born... and the final servitude choice.

Further details available on request. Game times are negotiable.