PDA

View Full Version : Darwin's World?

scatterbrain85
10-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi! I'm new to pnp gaming. Do very many people play Darwin's World? I'm a huge Fallout 1/2 fan and DW looks really interesting. Does anyone have any opinions on it or recommendations of other post apocalyptic games? I think I will need a game that is well supported with adventures and whatnot because I'm going to be playing with other inexperienced players.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi! I'm new to pnp gaming. Do very many people play Darwin's World? I'm a huge Fallout 1/2 fan and DW looks really interesting. Does anyone have any opinions on it or recommendations of other post apocalyptic games? I think I will need a game that is well supported with adventures and whatnot because I'm going to be playing with other inexperienced players.
Hello and welcome to the boards.

I love Gamma World, but i'm old-school with this. If you and a bunch of friends are looking to break into the rpg gaming world for enjoyment, then I'd say go for it, Darwins World will be a great experience for all of you.

There are alot of other post-apocalyptic gaming fans on this site, so dont be surprised if you get alot of recommendations in the next few days.

Game on!

:spider:

Webhead
10-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Well, I don't know anyone who plays it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have an audience.

There are several good postapocalyptic RPGs out there, unfortunately almost all of them are out of print and can usually only be found at used bookstores or on eBay.

Some good ones are:

Gamma World (the *original* postapocalyptic fantasy RPG...1st, 2nd or 4th edition are considered the best by fans, but they are long since out of print)

Deadlands: Hell on Earth (a great game setting but with a funky rules system, also out of print but generally easier and cheaper to find than Gamma World)

Armageddon (never played it, but it is a game of pseudo-biblical apocalypse, angels and demons walk the blighted remains of the Earth, still in print last I checked)

Earthdawn (sort of a postapocalyptic D&D, meshes a lot of sword-and-sorcery fantasy ideas with ancient ruins of advanced civilzations, out of print last I checked).

There are more, of course, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Best of luck!

MuslixtheMighty
10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
I was going to say Deadlands: Hell on Earth but Webhead beat me to it. It fun playing a game that is like Mad Max with the unkillable D&D monsters.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Twilight 2000: http://www.waynesbooks.com/Twilight2000.html

Aftermath: http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/shop/?shop=1&cat=2&cart=49665

Traveller: http://farfuture.net/ & http://www.travellerrpg.com/ & click store(top left).

Gamma World: http://www.waynesbooks.com/GammaWorldDownloads.html

Here's a few links to help you out. There are plenty more fan-based support sites on the net. Of course, Ebay will be just fine when picking up the print editions.

Hope this helps,

Webhead
10-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I was going to say Deadlands: Hell on Earth but Webhead beat me to it. It fun playing a game that is like Mad Max with the unkillable D&D monsters.

It is a great game. It's like Gamma World with a cigar in its pie-hole and that uses the word "y'all" a lot! ;)

Seriously, I have great memories of our Deadlands campaigns. Almost makes me want to pick them up again...almost.

darelf
10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
uhh... Tribe 8? Is that still in print?

Yeah, Gamma World is pretty good, I especially liked the version with the same system that Marvel Super Heroes Advanced had. Gamma World is very comic-book, not quite serious post-apocalypse.

Does Traveller really count as post apocalypse?

There was a really fun game along those lines called Living Steel. I'm fairly certain it's out of print. I enjoyed it.

Armageddon is technically in that genre, but I never use it for that. It's a great system though.

That's the only ones I can think of that I like.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Traveller can be defined as post-apocalyptic, though i realize it's a stretch and alot depends on perspective. There are many worlds within the Traveller realm that could fit the mold. www.travellermap.com (http://www.travellermap.com)

Otherwise, go with the others suggested for they are probably more of what youre looking for.

scatterbrain85
10-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome and suggestions everyone! I ended up ordering Darwin's World, and in a triumph of Ebay over my better judgement, I'm also expecting a copy of Gamma World 4e. Now I'll just have to figure out how the heck to play...

Brutorz Bill
10-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Gamma World 4e is the best edition of GW in IMHO. However if d20 Modern is what your group likes, then Darwin's World can't be beat!
Regards,
Brutorz Bill

Webhead
10-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Gamma World 4e is the best edition of GW in IMHO. However if d20 Modern is what your group likes, then Darwin's World can't be beat!
Regards,
Brutorz Bill

Don't forget the d20 Modern supplement: d20 Apocalypse. Very cool book, even if I don't really like d20 Modern.

MortonStromgal
10-16-2008, 10:18 AM
If I was going to run a Fallout like game I would use GURPS. Frankly I think it does the genre very well. However there is a Fallout RPG out there I run the yahoo group and I believe someone has a wiki up for it now.

Webhead
10-16-2008, 10:58 AM
If I was going to run a Fallout like game I would use GURPS. Frankly I think it does the genre very well. However there is a Fallout RPG out there I run the yahoo group and I believe someone has a wiki up for it now.

Are you talking about the one based on the d20 system or the one based on the system used in the PC games?

I offered my services to write/proofread for the "d20-based" Fallout RPG, but last I heard, it never got off the ground. Has it been released now and I just didn't know about it?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the welcome and suggestions everyone! I ended up ordering Darwin's World, and in a triumph of Ebay over my better judgement, I'm also expecting a copy of Gamma World 4e. Now I'll just have to figure out how the heck to play...
I've never played Darwins World... being a big Classic Gamma World fan myself, but if you would, please share with us experiences and insights with said game, scatterbrain85. I'm curious of yours, and others' opinions on Darwins World.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Traveller can be defined as post-apocalyptic, though i realize it's a stretch and alot depends on perspective. There are many worlds within the Traveller realm that could fit the mold. www.travellermap.com (http://www.travellermap.com)

Otherwise, go with the others suggested for they are probably more of what youre looking for.
Addendum: Another very cool map that can be used if you make your game space capable.

http://www.utzig.com/cgi-bin/iai/map_top.pl

purestrainhuman
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Gamma World 4ed is great - it's post apocalyptic, while still managing to be entertaining. Like someone upthread stated, it's comic booky. And 4ed is great, but you have to take it with a grain of salt - it never really got off the ground, so there's lots of holes, and some of the mutations are horribly unbalanced. I think everyone pretty much has their own set of rules for Gamma World, I know mine are a mishmash of 2nd 3rd and 4th.

Webhead
10-28-2008, 12:55 PM
I really enjoyed Omega World, the excellent d20 Gamma World conversion by Jonathan Tweet published in Polyhedron Magazine. It was a really fun read and really inspirational. The only problem was that it was...ahem...d20. It required use of the 3.X PHB to play (for skills, combat rules, etc.). But there were a lot of really good ideas there.

I especially loved the "mutation" system. Each mutation had a point value. You rolled up random mutations (just like in all previous editions of Gamma World), but after rolling a mutation, you could choose to stop there or keep going and roll up another. Once you were done rolling your mutations, you then had to roll on the "defects" table. You had to have at least as many points in defects as you had in mutations. Excellent idea. And since the defects were random, odds were the more you had to roll, the more likely you were to get a really bad defect. If your total "defect points" was greater than your total "mutation points", too bad. Them's the breaks. You should be more careful next time you play around in raw sewage.

There were also some excellent rules for ancient relics, radiation and converted monster stats as well as advice on how to use monsters from the Monster Manual in a Gamma World game.

It's one of those games that I've always been tempted to run but haven't yet found an opportunity...and...it's d20. :rain:

purestrainhuman
10-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Your mention of relics reminds me of the one problem I had with Gamma World, and that was role playing the "Figure out Artifacts" flow chart. First I told people they could only do it once per game day, so they went to a town and stayed there for a month and just rolled and rolled and rolled, turning down all offers of adventure until they'd broken or figured out all the artifacts.

I tried changing it to once per session, but the flow chart is so damn convoluted that 3 months (real time) later, they still hadn't figured out how to use a damn flashlight. Which is realistic, I suppose, but not fun. I've been trying to brainstorm a way to balance the two lately, or come up with a third solution, because the whole point is that you're uncovering mysterious artifacts from the past, not *yawn* yet another vorpal sword of summoning +3

Webhead
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I really only used the "relic charts" as guidelines. I wouldn't let the PCs just sit around until they "figured it out" but rather, described more and more about the object as they spent more time around it. And everytime they would try to use it, I would make a few rolls to see if they "discover" something about the relic that was previously a mystery. Sometimes, this didn't end well for the party but that's the fun of relics. You never know what's going to happen (or which end the death ray comes out of).

I didn't like the idea of PCs "rolling" their way to enlightenment, but I also made sure that they caught on to their new tools eventually, even if it was only how to point and shoot.

darelf
10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Regarding "relics" in Gamma World:

Try shoe-horning something similar to the Earthdawn mechanics for figuring out artifacts. It was definitely the best version and best balance for any similar game setting... that is, where there are "magical" artifacts and you are trying to figure out how to use them without killing yourself or accidently ending the world.

purestrainhuman
10-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Can you explain in broad strokes what Earthdawn's method was?