PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NaNoWriMo

ronpyatt
10-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I know some of you like to write fiction. Well, it's that time of year again. November 1st is almost here.

Will you be joining thousands of others in writing your own novel in just 30 days? Think it's impossible to write 50,000 words (something that tries to make sense) in only a single month?

I've succeeded in doing it once. I'm trying again this year.

Go sign up when you're ready. Details can be found at http://www.nanowrimo.org.

Grimwell
10-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm giving it serious consideration. I've never tried before, and have no idea what I'd write, but it sounds more and more fun with each passing year. Despite all the work involved. :)

Chi
10-07-2008, 06:16 PM
That is what Thriondel should do he is working on writing his own book and he is good at it.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-07-2008, 06:23 PM
I've never heard of it, but I do have this guide book to write a book in 30 days. And i was going to start it up on November 1st. Weird. i will have to check it out!

tesral
10-08-2008, 10:59 PM
I've done it, written 50,000 words in a month, but never on the month it was demanded. I have a goodly number of stories under the belt. Just finished another 5000 word number.

It's interesting, I'll take a pass. To many projects going.

Bearfoot_Adam
10-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Good luck to all that are participating.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I've decided to do it. Signed up the other day. Can't wait. btw. . . what is everyone's user name on the Nanowrimo page? so we can look each other up? Mine, of course, is Thriondel Half-Elven

Chi
10-09-2008, 05:44 PM
So you did decide to do it! GOOD LUCK!!

ronpyatt
10-09-2008, 06:00 PM
I've decided to do it. Signed up the other day. Can't wait. btw. . . what is everyone's user name on the Nanowrimo page? so we can look each other up? Mine, of course, is Thriondel Half-Elven

I can hardly wait! My nanowrimo user name is jueqel.

fmitchell
10-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Mine is "LuhSuh".

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-09-2008, 06:26 PM
great! i looked you guys up. good luck next month.

I can hardly wait! My nanowrimo user name is jueqel.

Just read your novel info. interesting. How did he forget about his brother being taken?

ronpyatt
10-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Just read your novel info. interesting. How did he forget about his brother being taken?Thanks for the encouragement. I wish you success to the finishline, as well.
As for how he forgot such a major event? I'm not sure, but I can't wait to find out.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I wish you success to the finishline, as well.
As for how he forgot such a major event? I'm not sure, but I can't wait to find out.

me either. such a huge thing happening is hard to forget. I have so many things running through my head right now. "did he this or maybe it was this"!:biggrin:

nijineko
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
first i've ever head of it. and rotten timing as i have way to much to consider trying it this time around. but i would be interested in the future. ^^

tesral
10-10-2008, 02:33 AM
It was a dark and stormy night....

...just 49,993 to go...

gdmcbride
10-10-2008, 03:08 AM
It was a dark and stormy night....

...just 49,993 to go...

It was a dark and stormy night, when I first met Linda -- for about five minutes. That was the last time I ever saw her. I think her name was Linda. It might have been Lydia. Anyway, the night was still young and dark and stormy...

...now just 49,953... :)

Gary

ronpyatt
10-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Looking for story material for your NaNoWriMo or RPG?
These sites have good stuff for both. (Kinda addictive.)
http://chaoticshiny.com/
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-14-2008, 10:52 AM

I checked out the chaoticshiny site. i like it. A lot of good stuff there.

I have previously been to the seventh sanctum. It really good too. i second the recommendation to these sites.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Only a couple of more days before the start! Is everyone ready to go?

ronpyatt
10-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Ready. Tonight at midnight my fingers should explode. I'm shooting for 5,000 words a day.

nijineko
10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
excited much? ^^ or should we not expect to hear from you much?

Grimwell
10-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm in too, but not sure I'll stay up to start tonight. I might start tomorrow after a good night of sleep. :P

fmitchell
10-31-2008, 11:56 PM
Tonight at midnight my fingers should explode.

Sounds painful. Will you dictate your novel then?

ronpyatt
11-01-2008, 10:34 PM
excited much? ^^ or should we not expect to hear from you much?

Good question. I hit my first 5,000 words on the 1st day, today. It's a good start, but I hope not to burn out before I'm done.

I have dictation software, but I'd have to have an environment that I could utilize it. I'm uncomfortable speaking to a computer when I'm in a room with others. I'm not really good at using it anyway.
I do have an Alphasmart Neo that I use when I'm away from home. That came in handy for chapter 2.

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I hit 3,000 my first day! I too have an Alphasmart. But its a 2000. its still awesome though. But because i bought it off ebay i don't have the cable to connect it to a computer to transfer the files:(

Chi
11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Good luck everyone

ronpyatt
11-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Well, I have not made my 5,000 words a day goal, but I'm ahead of my word count with 18,000+ words.

Something I'm not sure about is how words are counted. Different softwares count words differently. I remember typing class said that word count was total characters divided by 6, but Word counts any string of letters with a space on either side.

fmitchell
11-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Something I'm not sure about is how words are counted. Different softwares count words differently. I remember typing class said that word count was total characters divided by 6, but Word counts any string of letters with a space on either side.

I did some experiments a year or two ago, and NaNoWriMo's word counter does indeed count "words" as visible characters delimited by whitespace (or beginning/end of file).

If you have Linux, MacOS X, or some other Unix variant, the shell command 'wc' will count words the same way.

Like many other professional writers, you'll get "paid" the same amount for a "cyclopean fastness" as for a "big castle".

tesral
11-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Like many other professional writers, you'll get "paid" the same amount for a "cyclopean fastness" as for a "big castle".

There is the old tale of the pot boiler hack (3 cents a word) specializing in Hard Boiled Action Novels and all his heroes or villains would blast away with their guns. "BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!" Someone asked why. He replied: "The heck if they are going to kill them with 15 cents still in their gun."

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I never realized how busy life is until i started nanowrimo. Now that i have something to do besides work i am having trouble finding time to write

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Cool links, thanx for posting.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I know some of you like to write fiction. Well, it's that time of year again. November 1st is almost here.

Will you be joining thousands of others in writing your own novel in just 30 days? Think it's impossible to write 50,000 words (something that tries to make sense) in only a single month?

I've succeeded in doing it once. I'm trying again this year.

Go sign up when you're ready. Details can be found at http://www.nanowrimo.org.
I was definitely going to do it this year, even made an account with the site. If it were for my impending move, i would have. Oh well, next year for sure.

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-30-2008, 02:38 PM
last day. how is everyone doing? i failed miserably

Chi
11-30-2008, 02:43 PM
last day. how is everyone doing? i failed miserably
Ohhhh you just worked to much, just try agian with out the challenge next month!

MinipainterUS
11-30-2008, 04:22 PM

fmitchell
11-30-2008, 11:57 PM
I punked out, I'm afraid. I think it was a combination of work pressures, disinterest in the story and characters, the end of the last game I was in and the departure of my old GM, ideas for the campaign I'd like to run Real Soon now, a *different* story popping into my head (partly stemming from campaign ideas) ... the usual excuses.

tesral
12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
DING! Time, put down your computer and present your work.

ronpyatt
12-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Not this year. Lost steam at 35,000 words, and when I got the "we need money" to keep NaNo going next year email then I stopped. Still, I had fun with the story. I've introduced some of the characters into my game.

Chi
12-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Good work everyone, even those of you who did not finish.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I'll make 2009 the big year. Actually, my plan will be to write one book a month(300 pages a month or 10 a day, which is do-able) beginning January. Yep, going to move it up my list of hobbies. I take a free-hand approach which encourages imagination. I just sit and see the fingers tap the keyboard. Immensily rewarding in that even i dont know where the story will go or how it'll end.