PDA

View Full Version : What should a Monk buy?

zergrusheddie
10-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Currently, I'm a level 4 Monk in the campaign that we are currently going through. I have about 2200 gold sitting in my pouch just waiting to be pickpocketed, so I think buying something would be a reasonable decision.

We are an 'evil' group and the highest AC in the party is 24, which is the Wizard (Yes, the main tank in the party is Dabble). So,more AC would be a good thing...
However with only a +5 on attack at 1d8 +2, my combat abilities are slightly lacking than the Warlock and Rogue
So, with my 2200 at level 4, what should I be looking to buy?

Yes, my group is a little odd with the Wizard having the best AC {10 + 2 (Dex) +4 (Mage Armor) + 2 (Shield) + 4 (Full-Defensive) + 2 (Unique Amulet) = 24}:confused:

Best of luck
-Eddie

MuslixtheMighty
10-06-2008, 09:55 AM
First off, just because the wizard has the best AC doesn't mean you can't make yours the second best. Amulets and bracers of Armor are good. They give you AC bonuses without taking away your no-armor abilities. I don't know if you fight with weapons or unarmed but magical weapons and gloves do have their perks. If you are the sneak of the group, look into magical boots like "Boots of Elven Kind" and other items to make you a better well you.

zergrusheddie
10-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I'm torn between Bracers of Armor and Amulet of Natural Armor.

The Amulet is more expensive and is less likely to be found in an adventure. If it is found, everyone in the group is likely to roll for it.

The Bracers are cheaper and are more likely to be found in an adventure. If they are found, there is a high chance they would get defaulted to me because of my inability to wear armor.

I convinced to DM to let me be able to get Gloves of the Rose. These gloves can enhance your unarmed attacks {+1-5, Shock, etc.}so I could always get a pair of those.

My main problem is thinking of what is likely to turn up and what are the odds that I would get it. The DM likes to throw encounters at us where the loot basically has someones name on it. Example: we fought 2 dark-elf Rogues who used Rapiers and a Scabbard of Keenedge {Rapier only}. It just so happens that it was exactly what our Rogue used. It's possible that we may go against a Monk who is wearing a few pieces of bling, so it's a waste to buy things that may be easily found.

Any suggestions on which to buy?

Jcosby
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I'm torn between Bracers of Armor and Amulet of Natural Armor.

The Amulet is more expensive and is less likely to be found in an adventure. If it is found, everyone in the group is likely to roll for it.

The Bracers are cheaper and are more likely to be found in an adventure. If they are found, there is a high chance they would get defaulted to me because of my inability to wear armor.

I convinced to DM to let me be able to get Gloves of the Rose. These gloves can enhance your unarmed attacks {+1-5, Shock, etc.}so I could always get a pair of those.

My main problem is thinking of what is likely to turn up and what are the odds that I would get it. The DM likes to throw encounters at us where the loot basically has someones name on it. Example: we fought 2 dark-elf Rogues who used Rapiers and a Scabbard of Keenedge {Rapier only}. It just so happens that it was exactly what our Rogue used. It's possible that we may go against a Monk who is wearing a few pieces of bling, so it's a waste to buy things that may be easily found.

Any suggestions on which to buy?

A couple of items I usually like to get for my monks are...

1. Bracers of Defense
2. Amulets of Natural Armor
3. Hewards Handy Haversack, Bag of Holding, Portalable Hole
4. Brooch of Shielding
5. Weapons of Pure Good

I usually run high AC monks so the Bracers and Amulets are #1 priority. Also with the weight limits I like to get some type of weight reduction container. The HHH is the cheapest and usually the first to get. As a high AC monk I'm usually the target of many Magic Missle spells, so the Brooch is a godsend. I almost always play my Monks LG so a couple of weapons with Pure Good on them are always nice as well.

JC

nijineko
10-06-2008, 03:58 PM
wait, wait, what? some of the best monk items and not even mentioned?!?!? well, we can't have that!

monk's belt: boost your effective monk level by 5 for purposes of ac, speed, and unarmed damage.

tiger's sandles: allows you to do a charging flying kick for buku damage.

ki straps: adds various effects to your unarmed strikes.

practice dummy: allows you to do a 10' step whenever you would normally be able to do a 5' step. (can you say battlefield control? i thought you could!)

there's lots more, but i'll stop here for now. however, i will leave you with some references. check out oriental adventures, arms and equipment guide, and http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex (index of pretty much everything in every print edition of dragon magazine-which is "100% official wotc content" as printed on the cover....) for lots more monk specific items.

Jcosby
10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
wait, wait, what? some of the best monk items and not even mentioned?!?!? well, we can't have that!

monk's belt: boost your effective monk level by 5 for purposes of ac, speed, and unarmed damage.

tiger's sandles: allows you to do a charging flying kick for buku damage.

ki straps: adds various effects to your unarmed strikes.

practice dummy: allows you to do a 10' step whenever you would normally be able to do a 5' step. (can you say battlefield control? i thought you could!)

there's lots more, but i'll stop here for now. however, i will leave you with some references. check out oriental adventures, arms and equipment guide, and http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex (index of pretty much everything in every print edition of dragon magazine-which is "100% official wotc content" as printed on the cover....) for lots more monk specific items.

Well, there are 100's of items to choose from if you want to dive into every splat book ever written. In my campaigns we don't allow any splat books in whole and only allow exceptions on a 1 by 1 basis.. so I rarely look for the broken items, as most GM's I play will won't allow them. We like to keep it simple.

JC

nijineko
10-06-2008, 04:24 PM
one, some of these items are not from splat books as i understand the term. try your dmg.

two, they are not broken. only players and/or dungeonmasters are broken.

three, i mentioned two books, not every book ever written. (now the dragon magazines fall into your catagory there, as there are about 350 of them, granted.)

four, the question asked indicated that more options were desired, not less. i happen to be one of those (apparently) rare types that enjoys playing high to epic fantasy. i have never had trouble challenging my players or leading them into roleplay despite all the class levels, equipment, and magic that they can pack onto their greedy little selves. so when someone throws out a question about options, i'm more than happy to oblige.

five, there's nothing wrong with keeping things simple, even if one interprets simple as low magic. as long as your group is playing such that everyone enjoys themselves, then you're good.

Jcosby
10-06-2008, 05:20 PM
one, some of these items are not from splat books as i understand the term. try your dmg.

two, they are not broken. only players and/or dungeonmasters are broken.

three, i mentioned two books, not every book ever written. (now the dragon magazines fall into your catagory there, as there are about 350 of them, granted.)

four, the question asked indicated that more options were desired, not less. i happen to be one of those (apparently) rare types that enjoys playing high to epic fantasy. i have never had trouble challenging my players or leading them into roleplay despite all the class levels, equipment, and magic that they can pack onto their greedy little selves. so when someone throws out a question about options, i'm more than happy to oblige.

five, there's nothing wrong with keeping things simple, even if one interprets simple as low magic. as long as your group is playing such that everyone enjoys themselves, then you're good.

Well, first the OP has 2200 gold to purchase something. There for I kept it simple do to his bank account. Also, he didn't mention using extra books or not so I tried to give him some options that could be found at or near his bank roll in the standard books.

As for my statement about splat books, was just in response to your saying that lots of things were missing. At the end you then list out a handfull of books and mention the dragon mags, along with a listing of everything ever printed. I was just trying to give some simple examples for a level 4 character with 2200 gold. Nothing more, nothing less.

JC

nijineko
10-06-2008, 06:15 PM
sounds good. but i still think that two books is less than a handfull. ^^ and looking at my list, only one of those items is from the dmg. =D and the listing of "everything ever printed" is only of the dragon mags; most people don't know what the dragondex is, so i did some explaining.

cplmac
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Now since clerics and monks are usually supplied with their gear from their "church", would this mean that when the monk returns home, the bought item would then be turned over to the church? If that is the case, would the monk maybe buy something that he knows the church is in need of, ie. candles, alter linens, perhaps new goblets. Just a thought.

nijineko
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
stab of guilt and a pitch for role playing all in one! you sure you didn't take any rouge levels? ;D

cplmac
10-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Nope, just a lowly GM Advisor putting in his two coppers.

Another thought, there are some sects that do allow their clerics and monks to use any weapons as opposed to just blunt ones. That is why I asked if the monk would be required to turn in any weapon or armor items especially upon return.

nijineko
10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
i suppose we will have to wait until we find out more background on the character.

zergrusheddie
10-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Remember, I only have 2200 gold so no Monk's Belt yet. I was just wondering if I should continue saving the cash to get other items. Here's what I've come up with:

Gloves +1: +hit and damage is nice
Bracers of Armor 1: Buy them now, risk them dropping next session
Bracers of Armor 2: Save for these and go out with a 'low' AC
Amulet of NA: Buy now. If these drop during a session, 5 of us will roll for them.
Monk's Belt: Save, save, save. Monk's Belt is 13,000 grand so saving will be needed.

My Head slot gives me Invisibility and +2 Defelction on AC, so no Rings of Protection.
One of my rings gives me a +1 poison save.
My Chestpiece is a Monk's Robe, which I'm trying to convince the GM that it should be able to be upgraded. If he lets me, I'll have more AC than the fighter in the end.
So, what do y'all think I should do?

Best of luck
-Eddie

dragonfire
10-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Cant remember what book its out of right off the top of my head but the Beads of Force wouldnt be a bad Idea. If I remember the stats correctly when thrown they cause 4d6 points of damage to any creature within range, sorry I dont remember what the range is, I think its like 10 ft but I might be wrong.

DeathByDM
10-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Just take Vow of Poverty and you don't have to worry about all this :P

zergrusheddie
10-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Just take Vow of Poverty and you don't have to worry about all this :P

Ehh, our group tends to get more cash than what is suggested from the DMG. VoP is ok, but our DM has made things for the Warder {what Monks are in his world} that goes together perfectly. Using Gloves as enhanceable weapons, giving me a Headband that can use invisibility 1/week for 15 minutes as well as a +2 Defelection bonus, the ability to enhance Robes of the Warder, and allowing Rings of Mighty/Greater Wallop. Bracers of Armor also adds to Touch AC too. With being able to put +5 Enhancement on my Robes, wearing a +6 NA Amulet, Ring of Wisdom +4, Ring of Dex +4, and my Headband, I'm looking at 27 AC without adding other stats. I could expect 38 AC at level 20. VoP would give 32 AC at level 20.

Going non-VoP while receiving the above bonuses and more gold flow is more advantageous. Our DM is constantly making tailor made items for people; the downside being that it is first being swung at us. Second session, our Rogue got a Scabbard that can turn a Rapier {what are the odds of this random assassin using a Rapier, just like our Rogue} into a Keen Weapon like a Scabbard of Keenedge. SoKe goes for 16,000 and since our Rogue has Telling Blow, his damage potential sky-rocketed. I think taking VoP would sort of kneecap myself.

Also, Warders are supposed to be Mercenaries to Nobles and sometimes other questionable characters, so giving away my wealth to starving peasants who "refuse to break their back for their supper!" wouldn't make much sense.

dragonfire
10-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Be carefull with the VOP, I had a DM once that forced that on me cause I was a cleric. Everytime we hit a town I had to give 90% of my coin to the local church, which made it very difficult for me to buy better equipment. Unlike many DM's he wasnt very good at having PC's finding good stuff.

nijineko
10-13-2008, 01:15 AM
even though i'm really easy going and generous as a dm, not to mention a really big proponent of the "rule-of-yes"... i disallow anything that appears in the bovd and boed from my campaigns. i even take it so far that i will not play with any group or dm where any character or npc is using any material from those books.

ever given thought to how you can... expand... that money into a larger amount of money? ^^

cplmac
10-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Taking the VOP out of the picture, there is still the concept that I use in my game. Clerics are the healers of the group and as such usually look to make things more "comfortable" for the party. Now this doesn't have to only mean food, clothing, and a place to sleep comfy & warm. It could mean that you find a merchant of non magical weapon items. If the group has expended most of their arrows in fighting, the cleric could maybe provide some funds in order to obtain more arrows, for the safety of the group. Another possibility would be to purchase food items that can be carried along while the party travels.