PDA

View Full Version : Hack Master

Stormcrow77
09-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I have been a huge fan of Knights of the dinner table for over 10 years now and have fore awhile been wanting to play Hack Master (4th ed).
But what i would like to know ,is H.M. just Ad&d 1st and 2nd ed rehased with a humors twist, as it looks, or is it a serious game that took its base from said D&D editions?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2008, 06:00 PM
It's *word for word, including errors, with alot of goodies added in.

I'm a big fan. Some of the extra stuff is usable and some isnt, depends on your DM, party, and game theme.

*Not sure which edition i have, it's up north of me. I'll check next time i'm there. Ive had it for years, though.

nijineko
09-23-2008, 06:04 PM
hackmaster is the game for serious hack'n'slash, and for serious sidesplitting.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2008, 06:13 PM
hackmaster is the game for serious hack'n'slash, and for serious sidesplitting.
nijineko is right. It's the fight without the fluff. Definitely hack-and-slash all the way.

tesral
09-23-2008, 06:20 PM
It's *word for word, including errors, with alot of goodies added in.

I'm a big fan. Some of the extra stuff is usable and some isnt, depends on your DM, party, and game theme.

*Not sure which edition i have, it's up north of me. I'll check next time i'm there. Ive had it for years, though.

First. In fact the Hackmaster books where the same scenes as on the AD&D books, but a bit earlier.

"Save against Apology" Snerk.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2008, 06:31 PM
First. In fact the Hackmaster books where the same scenes as on the AD&D books, but a bit earlier.

"Save against Apology" Snerk.
Thanks tesral. Your epic-ness level of wisdom has come through once again.

All this talking about HackMaster has gotten me interested in pulling the old books out and starting a campaign once again.

kirksmithicus
09-24-2008, 12:15 AM
All this talking about HackMaster has gotten me interested in pulling the old books out and starting a campaign once again.

I found my old B2 Keep on the Borderlands when I was unpacking last week. I read through it again and love it. I was thinking of running a 4E game of it if I get the chance. I would probably expand things a little. Draw interior maps of the whole keep, profiles of all the NPC's. Maybe add a small hamlet or at least some farms and cottagers. A few more ruins and encounters, and of course redo the map of the caves to make them more tactically challenging. I think it would be cool to do as a community project too, everyone add an NPC or an encounter or something.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2008, 01:38 AM
I found my old B2 Keep on the Borderlands when I was unpacking last week. I read through it again and love it. I was thinking of running a 4E game of it if I get the chance. I would probably expand things a little. Draw interior maps of the whole keep, profiles of all the NPC's. Maybe add a small hamlet or at least some farms and cottagers. A few more ruins and encounters, and of course redo the map of the caves to make them more tactically challenging. I think it would be cool to do as a community project too, everyone add an NPC or an encounter or something.
That does sound like fun. I havent played that module since its original release. If i lived closer, id ask for a seat at your gaming table.

Stormcrow77
09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
*Not sure which edition i have

There all 4th ed. It was a inside joke since that was the edition that had just been released in the comic.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2008, 10:08 AM
There all 4th ed. It was a inside joke since that was the edition that had just been released in the comic.
I seem to vaguely recall something to that effect. It's been a while. Thanks for the info.

nijineko
09-24-2008, 02:44 PM

b2 was my first official d&d adventure. played at scout camp instead of getting merit badges. when we went into the "caves of the unknown" the dm started drawing up all sorts of weird random stuff. lots of fun going off the map. we all wound up with weird abilities as a result of playing around with random stuff. i mean really, how many people swim to the bottom of a pool and touch the weird unknown glowing stuff, right? and how many people after witnessing the party getting sucked into these odd colored walls decides that since they are all alone left of the party, to touch the one wall no one else has touched yet and share the party's fate?

very good times. ^^

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2008, 03:08 PM
b2 was my first official d&d adventure. played at scout camp instead of getting merit badges. when we went into the "caves of the unknown" the dm started drawing up all sorts of weird random stuff. lots of fun going off the map. we all wound up with weird abilities as a result of playing around with random stuff. i mean really, how many people swim to the bottom of a pool and touch the weird unknown glowing stuff, right? and how many people after witnessing the party getting sucked into these odd colored walls decides that since they are all alone left of the party, to touch the one wall no one else has touched yet and share the party's fate?

very good times. ^^
Awesome adventure and i believe my first i ever ran through in its entirety. Ah, the memories.

Stormhound
09-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Hackmaster is...like most things in life...what you make of it. I ran a campaign for about a year, and a good time was had by all, though I was houseruling stuff within a month and never used all the rules. I like the humor/attitude, enjoyed the nostalgia, and would happily run it again if I could find the right players (it helps to have a bit of "what the hell" attitude going on both sides of the screen). If there's such a thing as a serious hack'n'slash game, its name is Hackmaster.

Webhead
09-25-2008, 10:17 AM
...If there's such a thing as a serious hack'n'slash game, its name is Hackmaster.

Hackmaster has 17 variations of the Fireball spell...'nuff said! ;)

Stormhound
09-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Is that counting the Nuclear Winter variation? I don't have my PHB handy... ;)

Webhead
09-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Can't help you there. I don't have my copy anymore. :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I'd love to help but my copy is halfway across state.

Stormhound
09-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh, well...found my PHB and my Spellslinger's Guide, and only toted up 16 different Fireball spells, including the NW variety. I'm almost disappointed. ;)

Greylond
10-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey, I've been off of the Net dealing with RL for a while and missed this thread.

I GM HackMaster, I'm in the HackMaster Association and run a Sanctioned Game. Meaning I run it straight by the rules, all of them.

HackMaster is many things, according to Dave Kenzer and the rest of the D-Team at Kenzer&Co it is approx 1/3rd 1st Edition, 1/3rd 2nd Edition and 1/3rd New Stuff(some of which was some pretty common house rules).

Speaking of which, yea, there are a lot of rules but IMO if you leave some stuff out you are short changing yourself since many of the subsystems were designed to work together.

HackMaster is a serious game with a lot of humor in it(the Parody elements in it were required by the WOTC license). It can be Hack-N-Slash but there's also elements that strongly encourage roleplay. In fact if you ever go to a Con and play in a Tournament you are going to face at least one Social Encounter every time.

If you're looking to expand the old B2 then you should seriously look at the Hackmaster version. They expanded it to a mini-campaign, especially when combined with the HM B1, which is set in the same area of the wurld.

kirksmithicus
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
If you're looking to expand the old B2 then you should seriously look at the Hackmaster version. They expanded it to a mini-campaign, especially when combined with the HM B1, which is set in the same area of the wurld.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can locate a copy of it.

Webhead
10-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can locate a copy of it.

Littlest Keep on the Borderlands, I believe it's called. I was tempted to pick up that module on basic principle, even though I don't play Hackmaster. And I liked a lot of the Hackmaster monsters as well. The "Distractor" is classic! I'd use it in my D&D games! :lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Didnt know this. Will definitely keep my eyes open for B1 & B2.

Greylond
10-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Littlest Keep on the Borderlands, I believe it's called.

Nope, just Little Keep on the Borderlands.

Webhead
10-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Nope, just Little Keep on the Borderlands.

Well, sounds like it deserves a sequel then! ;)

Greylond
10-07-2008, 01:09 PM
It certainly did but thanks to the WOTC staff it never came about...