PDA

View Full Version : Iron DM - 4th Edition - Interest?

Grimwell
09-21-2008, 02:46 PM
IRON DM -- A contest in which DM's are paired off against each other competetively to create adventures that demonstrate their creativity and prowess with the system. Using multiple single elimination rounds the DM's are whittled down until one is left standing supreme.

I saw this first on the EN World forums, near the onset of the 3.0 D&D rules release. It was a lot of fun to watch, and provided everyone with entertainment, and adventures to lift and use in their own campaigns. Click this link (http://www.aquerra.com/IRON_DM/whatisirondm.htm) to read a history of what they were, and the rules used at the time.

If there is enough interest, I'd like to run an Iron DM tournament here at P&PG! Here is how I'd like to run it:

Willing contestants need to step up and say "I'd like to participate!"
I'll pair up contestants and create a tournmanet ladder that will get us to the final round.
We would use the D&D 4th Edition rules.
In each round, contestants will be given six items to use in the 'recipe' for their adventure.
Items will be pulled from the following: Monsters, Persons, Locations, Items, Concepts, or Events.
Each ingredient must be used in the adventure.
Participants will have 24 hours to create their adventure using the forums timestamp as our timer.
Entries, once posted, cannot be edited. We will rely on the honor system wherein contestants don't read their opponents adventures until everyone has turned in.
Entries will be judged by me. My rulings will be final.
Comments from the P&PG community are very welcome, but people need to avoid suggesting how to use ingredients, or what they would do until judging is complete.
The winner of the final round is crowned the "Iron DM"

That's really it. Ideally, if there is enough interest, I'd like to run a sample round open to as many people as possible. I'll give one list and anyone can submit an entry. It will not be judged in the tournament sense of things, but would be a bit of fun and set the examples out before we do a tournament.

If this works, it should be a fun way to explore the new D&D rules, and give everyone new ideas for their adventures.

One final note: The submissions should be micro-adventures. Not full blown 96 page submissions. It should be something that a person can do in a day, without calling in sick to work, and should be fun, not work.

Interested? Post in this thread to let me know. If enough folks are, I'll run a sample round and then set a tournament ladder up!

kirksmithicus
09-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Sounds really cool and could be a lot of fun. The only problem is that some days I don't have a lot of time, maybe two hours? But if you made the time longer (or maybe not) I would be willing to throw down. :D

cplmac
09-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Sorry Grim, but I will have to set out on this one. The biggest reason being that I have no 4E books. It will be interesting to see what those that enter do offer up. Might be a chance to borrow an idea or so.

Kalanth
09-22-2008, 08:49 PM
I would love to do this but I run short on time a lot because I spend a lot of time working on my current campaign. Definetly intersted though.

Grimwell
09-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Concerning the time requirements. I would definitely be agreeable to not posting the ingredients until both of the paired contestants note that they are ready to go. Unless they need, say, six weeks to be ready. :)

kirksmithicus
09-23-2008, 08:38 AM
5 weeks should be just enough prior notice for me. :)

Now all we need is a dozen more participants.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I would love to be a part of this but sadly, i am moving soon and have no time. Perhaps next time.

kirksmithicus
09-24-2008, 12:22 AM
I would love to be a part of this but sadly, i am moving soon and have no time. Perhaps next time.

Well that'll just make it fair for the rest of us. You have to DM while driving a moving truck through a narrow mountain pass. :D

Where you moving too? if you don't mind me asking an off topic question.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Well that'll just make it fair for the rest of us. You have to DM while driving a moving truck through a narrow mountain pass. :D

Where you moving too? if you don't mind me asking an off topic question.
Moving to the Bay Area. I'm looking forward to the change in climate. Did i mention that i have plenty of gamer friends up north? Yep, another added benefit.

kirksmithicus
09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
So I was laying in bed at 2 A.M. last night thinking about campaign possibilities and I have been sifting through internet sites for free adventures that others have created. Anyway it occurred to me that anything that we create as a result of this project could be packaged as PDF's (with a little more work) and either given away free on sites that sell online PDF's, as a means of advertising the site. Another possibility would be to sell the encounters as one-shot filler for when a DM doesn't have time to come up with anything. We could create some one or two page encounters and sell them for a .25 or .50 cents and have the proceeds go towards supporting the site. Once again these could contain a small advert at the bottom with the sites name.

Anyway I thought this might be a good way for people to contribute to the site, and for those interested in getting into the RPG business, a means to build up a body of work for a resume.

Anyway just a thought. Feel free to destroy my optimism with the boot heel of reality. :fear:

Grimwell
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I was hoping, if I could pull off running the Iron DM contest here, that it would draw in some new blood. It was plenty popular in the past and generated a lot of discussion. I intend to pimp it, discretely, to get some of the old eyes on it and see if they wouldn't like to join us.

I love your idea of packaging the submissions after the fact as a campaign resource. I'll do that! Farcaster, in his infinite wisdom, provided us the ability to post blogs as resources!! Which can then be advertised as available for interested folks.

Sound good?

Grimwell
09-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm bumping this to see if there is any further interest. Right now I don't think I have enough hands in the pot to really pull it off. :P