PDA

View Full Version : How far are you?

Chi
09-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I have not gotten very far I have played with my group once and I am first level. How far is everyone else? What level?

Grimwell
09-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm about to update my profile and start a game. So I'm at square one! I've been reading the books and adventures to get ready, but have yet to roll a 4th edition dice. I'm looking very forward to seeing firsthand what's reality and what's just grumbling from all the comments.

Chi
09-21-2008, 02:55 PM
I hope you enjoy and good luck getting started let me know how it goes.

Grimwell
09-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I plan on using the P&PG blog page to write about the experience. That way it's not an accidental spoiler for folks who don't want to learn secret details about the modules I'm going to run.

Aidan
09-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I have a fifth level human wizard in one campaign and a second level dragonborn paladin in another campaign. (BTW, whoever said that a dragonborn paladin was 'practically unstopable' was high).

Stormhound
09-21-2008, 05:08 PM
After four sessions, my group has 3 3rd, 1 2nd level, with one new guy starting this next week (or so we hope).

MuslixtheMighty
09-21-2008, 08:24 PM
The game I joined had already started with three players and another joining for the first time too. The already playing characters were 2nd and the other new guy and I came in at 2st.

DeathByDM
09-22-2008, 06:48 AM
My group is about halfway through level 3. I'm running Keep on the Shadowfell and we just got down to the second level yesterday. We've played about 15 combat encounters. Playing about twice a month/about 3 encounters per time it's taken about 3 months so far.

I've had two actual deaths, and 3 "quasi-deaths" due to people wanting to try new character concepts. I think the group is pretty settled now, with a Paladin, Warlord, Rogue, and two Wizards.

boulet
09-22-2008, 07:07 AM
I played only one session with my teenage poseur wood elf warrior and he got his whooped in beauty. This first fight involved a dozen goblin (mostly minions except a spell caster and two serious ones). A combination of bad luck with dice, minion surprise ("oh minions are immune to this effect of your powers...") and tactical misplacement, lead my blockhead braggart elf to fall unconscious twice despite the use of one second wind and the support of a cleric.

The dice I can't do much about (my only good roll was a saving throw while unconscious). The tactical aspect, I have to get better at it. The first lesson is : "battle with minions isn't like little school recess, they actually bite".

Kalanth
09-22-2008, 08:20 AM
After four sessions the group I DM for is 600 shy of level 4. Its nice plotting out the games because I have such control on the XP like never before. I can actually see the exact point in a campaign that they will level up so I know when it is comming. :)

Valdar
09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
The group I'm running just hit level 5 last week- we've been playing most weeks since the books came out.

MegatonSunder
09-22-2008, 12:00 PM
This is a sore subject for me. I DMed our character creation session and we got in one encounter from the back of the DMG, and now it's been something like 8 weeks. We're finally starting up again this Friday though, so hopefully we'll get back into the swing of things.

kirksmithicus
09-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I've created a character or two, but that's it. Still looking for a group.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Our group is pushing 3rd level. We play every Saturday.

Chi
09-23-2008, 03:02 PM
OK here is my other question, some of you have already answered it but how long do you like to play on any given day?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2008, 03:05 PM
No less than six solid hours, eight solid hours preferred, but no more than ten.

Chi
09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
I usually play for six hours also I just can't sit much longer than that. I am ADD.

Inquisitor Tremayne
09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
We start our 4e game next Thursday!! I am excited and eager to see what all the hub-bub is about, I am DMing too! My first "real" foray into D&D DMing. To keep things simple I am running the short adventure in the back of the DMG but I have altered to throw off any players who may think they know what to expect!

I am also incorporating a lot of roleplaying for this first session.

I am going to try the blog thing that grimwell mentioned also, sounds like a grand idea.

And my preferred game time is 6-8 hours but we normally game for 4-5 hours due to schedules.

Webhead
09-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Back in my college days, we used to play every weekend for 10 to 12 hours at a stretch. Of course, there was a little "downtime" to order food, use the bathroom, etc, but otherwise it was all game-time.

These days, we play alternate weekends and each session is about 5 to 6 hours long, so, effectively half as much as we used to. I might like to play for a longer stretch, but we game Sundays which means everyone has work the next day, plus family obligations to return to.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2008, 04:05 PM
When i was running a WLD(Worlds Largest Dungeon) campaign up north(I'd fly up there once a month for a weekend), we'd do marathon sessions. It was not unusual for me to run 16-18 hours games 3 days in a row.

I gotta tell ya, in high school, this probably would have been fine, but now, i started to experience burnout. Thank God i had 3 weeks off in between to recover. This is how i know that 6-10 hours, no more, is good for me, and that's once a week.

Kalanth
09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Twice a month at 6 - 7 hours. I am strict on both start time and end time round here. :)

MegatonSunder
09-23-2008, 04:39 PM
We schedule 5.5 hours, but realistically, we play for 4. I'd like to change that though.

Valdar
09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
OK here is my other question, some of you have already answered it but how long do you like to play on any given day?

Three to four hours, usually- we assemble starting at 6-7, and go until 9-10 or so.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Give me 8 hours, one day a week, and i will be very pleased.

gdmcbride
09-23-2008, 09:02 PM

Right now I play in three games all of different lengths.

One runs 6 hours (with a pizza break in the middle) every other week.

One runs 8 hours (also with a brief food break), also every other week.

The other runs 4 to 6 (no breaks at all) . That game is weekly.

So, in a week with no cancellations, I generally game about ten to fourteen hours, divided between Friday nights and Sunday afternoons/evenings.

Gary

DeathByDM
09-24-2008, 10:57 AM
My group usually plays for about 4 hours, sometimes 5. After a while people start to get tired, space out, and such. I've found that a shorter session actually means things progress pretty quickly. People don't waste as much time chatting about WoW or playing with their cell phones as they used to.

Grimwell
09-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I like to run games for about six hours. Anything less and I don't feel that players have had enough time to really get into their gaming groove and enjoy it. Anything more and it starts to become an endurance contest for some -- plus it makes it harder to respect family obligations.

Chi
09-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Right now I play in three games all of different lengths.

One runs 6 hours (with a pizza break in the middle) every other week.

One runs 8 hours (also with a brief food break), also every other week.

The other runs 4 to 6 (no breaks at all) . That game is weekly.

So, in a week with no cancellations, I generally game about ten to fourteen hours, divided between Friday nights and Sunday afternoons/evenings.

Gary
That is alot of time in one week, I wish I could get that much gaming time in two weeks.

We start our 4e game next Thursday!! I am excited and eager to see what all the hub-bub is about, I am DMing too! My first "real" foray into D&D DMing. To keep things simple I am running the short adventure in the back of the DMG but I have altered to throw off any players who may think they know what to expect!

I am also incorporating a lot of roleplaying for this first session.

I am going to try the blog thing that grimwell mentioned also, sounds like a grand idea.

And my preferred game time is 6-8 hours but we normally game for 4-5 hours due to schedules.
You will have to let me know how dming goes I am thinking about starting to Dm for Thriondel just so I can start to get a feel for it.

Aaron Young
09-30-2008, 07:53 AM
The last game I played was in Ca. and I was a 11 level ranger elf. But now that I have moved to a new state I will start off as a 1st level.. If I can find a new game.....:(

clint
09-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I DM in one and play in one campaign with two different groups (I'm the only person in both groups). In both the party just hit 4th level. The game I DM we play from 8-11:30 on Sunday nights. The one I play a Dragonborn Fighter we play 7-11 on Tuesdays.

The one I DM the players are a lot more focused and efficient with their turns and are slightly ahead of the party I where I'm a player, even though I started to run my campaign 3 sessions later and we play 30 minutes less a session. The group where I'm a player, people routinely take several minutes per turn and still have to look up how much damage they do for their At-Wills after four levels of play.

When I DM I make my own adventures. The one where I'm a player it's modules. That might be the difference too.

Grandore The Giant Killer
10-01-2008, 12:21 AM
We play around like 8 hours every weekend. I opened up a new realm and made the players make new characters. In this realm Gnomes are a prominent race. It's a war between the Humans and Gnomes. The Dwarves are kind of in between as support. Elves are here and there. No signs of any Orcs at all but that doesn't mean it isn't subject to change. I can also say the sea is ruled by a certain Pirate named Python. He is a half snake/half dragonborn. The sea borders are rdecorated with skulls of people who refused to work on his ship. Trespass through the seas if you dare....

Aaron Young
10-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Sounds like a cool relam.

Kalanth
10-01-2008, 08:06 AM
We play around like 8 hours every weekend. I opened up a new realm and made the players make new characters. In this realm Gnomes are a prominent race. It's a war between the Humans and Gnomes. The Dwarves are kind of in between as support. Elves are here and there. No signs of any Orcs at all but that doesn't mean it isn't subject to change. I can also say the sea is ruled by a certain Pirate named Python. He is a half snake/half dragonborn. The sea borders are rdecorated with skulls of people who refused to work on his ship. Trespass through the seas if you dare....

Interesting, I like that premise.

My world has Gnomes nearly extinct along with humans as a result of two seperate wars. The first is called the Thousand Years War that was a slow war between the dwarves and elves that spanned 3000 years. The second is called the Blood War and is a Blood Fued between the Eladrin and Tiefling with the Gnomes trapped in the middle. Dragons are under a curse that makes them feral in nature, and most of the world remains unexplored. Orcs invented magic, Ogre cities fly in the skies over Illithid infested lands, hobgoblins play the role of the Red Cross for Humans, and Dragonborn are largely based on ancient Japanese culture.

Always facinating to see what different ideas people come up with and how differently they use what is available to them.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey Grandore The Giant Killer. Where do you hail from? I'm curious.

Chi
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Agreed. I'd like to play in the alternate universe campaign. Very cool

Valdar
10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
The group just hit level 6, and we're trading off DMs for a story arc or two, so I'm playing a brand new level 6 character! Go me!

Kalanth
10-02-2008, 07:36 PM
The group just hit level 6, and we're trading off DMs for a story arc or two, so I'm playing a brand new level 6 character! Go me!

Wish I had players willing to do that in my games. Bah, oh well.

RoboGerbil
10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Im dming a group of level 9's right now in 4e. started at level 1 in one adventure, then brought them over to the red hand of doom updated to 4e by me. We just finished chapter 3 and are about to take on some really tough monsters. There is a good chance the players will die in chapter 4 due to 5 successive boss fights and only a few healing surges a day. We will see.

My group plays once a week for 8 hours straight. I try to keep them focused on the game but sometimes they get a little rowdy.

wizarddog
10-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, I run a 4e group and we player every other sunday for 5 hrs. At the beginning of session 4 they finally advanced to level 2 (They were short about 50xp each at the end of the 1st adventure). Normally I have 6 players but one couldn' t make session 4 and so his PC is still at 950xp. I plan doing a little solo play to bring him up to level 2 so he is at the same level of everyone else.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/935

Chi
10-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, I run a 4e group and we player every other sunday for 5 hrs. At the beginning of session 4 they finally advanced to level 2 (They were short about 50xp each at the end of the 1st adventure). Normally I have 6 players but one couldn' t make session 4 and so his PC is still at 950xp. I plan doing a little solo play to bring him up to level 2 so he is at the same level of everyone else.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/935
That is a really cool idea that way he is not behind everyone and yet his level does not just go up when he has not done anything.

Grimwell
10-06-2008, 09:25 AM
I'll be running my second session of 4E this coming Saturday. It's Keep on the Shadowfell and we should really be able to sink our teeth into it this time. Right now the group has only seen two encounters. I'll also know if I'm LFP or not as I have two more folks intending to join which would round out the table.

Good times!

Chi
10-06-2008, 02:00 PM
dang wish I could join that sounds like fun

frank634
10-12-2008, 04:06 PM
As far as a campaign goes, not very far. However, I couple friends of mine and I have simply did random dungeons and encounters to test the rule system and character powers. We are at Level 23 and found no problems so far.

Combat did not get any "faster" from 3 to 4. In fact, we feel it has definately gotten slower as it is taking longer to defeat the encounters at higher levels. (of course that was the same in 3). We do feel that the new system definately focuses on the heros more then the previous editions. This has made for very enjoyable combat senerios.

Amazingly enough, i believe it will also change the way Role Playing will be in 4th. Since our heros are truely heroic at 11th (and even super heroic after 21st), the common man and even the common king would treat the heros differently then they would have in the previous editions. We are starting a campaign soon and look forwart to seeing how it plays out.