PDA

View Full Version : WitchHunter: The Invisible World

MortonStromgal
09-18-2008, 10:36 AM
So I've been looking at this game for awhile in the store and figured someday I would buy it... Well I did and now WHY DIDN'T I BUY THIS SOONER!!!!!

So far its full of awesome and I can't wait to run it!

fmitchell
09-18-2008, 11:16 AM
So, what's the source of it's awesomeness? What are the key selling points, particularly for those of us with a bookcase full of once awesome games?

MortonStromgal
09-18-2008, 11:50 AM
The setting is great. At first I was like 1680s meh... till I read their mythic take on it. For one the Black Plague wiped out significantly more men than women leading to greater womens rights and having them work along side men. Also the Aztechs were able to hold on to their empire through Magic. Some churches accept witchhunters, some hunt them, others employ them. If your a fan of WFRP 2nd you will find the style of the fiction and the art work similar. Mechanically its nWOD with house rules (smaller dice pools, different TN, etc). I have not read the magic systems yet but so far the book is really solid.

I would recommend this to people who like WFRP setting & nWOD mechanics. Though rather than a Fantasy setting its a Mythic setting

Their "Living" Campaign can be found here http://darkprovidence.net/
there is also a yahoo group for it http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/whdp_campaign/
and the offical web site http://www.paradigmconcepts.com/witch_hunter/

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Huge WFRP fan here, and i appreciate your recommendation. I'll check it out.

Thoth-Amon

MortonStromgal
10-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I'll be running it tomorrow night :) I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I'll be running it tomorrow night :) I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Definitely. I am really curious about this one.

MortonStromgal
10-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I had 5 players 1 book. Character creation took about 3 hours for all of them and at leased one player was a tad unhappy with the results as he couldn't quite make the character he wanted without XP.

I ran "Swans"

Right from the begining the PCs didn't follow the script and I had to wing it. They bolted from the inn too early and started exploring the town. I had them over hear the screams though so they came running back. The combat went ok however we had to look some things up. They managed to see the BBEG so I unleashed the "pet" right then and figured things would end but the PC grabbed the BBEG and ran off. In retrospect I should have had the BBEG be more cunning and scarded of the mensing PC soldier but the BBEG made his roll vs intimidate. They ended up at the brothers house enventually so I took the lawer out of the equasion and had the brother give the PC the letter. The ante got uped as they pumped the BBEG for info and figured out there were 3 targets left in town. They tried to get the 3 targets togeather but I had the "pet" dominate the kid and it ended in a climatic battle in the lutheran church vs the "pet" a dominated kid and an animated body of the BBEG. One PC attempted to bind the pet so even though the pet totally made his roll i let it stand that he was bound which dropped the animated BBEG and the no longer dominated kid out of combat. I had the staff shatter when they hit the pet with it but another couple hits and it was forced back to hell.

All in all its a great game, character creation is kinda slow and combat options are many. I think as we play a few more times though it will become as fluid as d20 or oWOD. This game is more complicated than nWOD or WFRP though when it comes to combat. I really like the magic system and if I can find an easy way to convert 3.X monsters into the witchhunter system I plan to throw some in. I think the mechanics are great for a D&D level 7ish style play. Its a bit to chunky on combat for me personally but that doesn't stop it from being a great invocitive game.

[edit] interesting note that the 2 "smart" PCs spent alot of time doing research while the "combat" PCs ran around doing the socializing and finding clues, it was really neat to see.

Chi
10-06-2008, 02:53 PM
That sounds like fun! wish I could play

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-06-2008, 02:54 PM
So far sounds interesting. Keep the story coming.

MortonStromgal
10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I shall, not sure when we will play next but I will be running "Dedication".

Ulfendar
10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I was one of the PCs in Morton's game (the big scary soldier type). Morton runs a damn good game, so I knew it was going to be fun going in, system aside. I had a really good time playing, and while I knew we jumped the tracks when I punched the minister in the face (no True man of god walks away from a critically injured, possibly dying man, no matter what that man's denomination), outside of that I didn't realize how far off the story line we'd run. In all the game ran very smoothly.

My overall impressions of the system were mostly positive, but I had two issues with the system. First I felt that the character creation system was overly restrictive, and lead to less interesting, more cookie cutter characters. Second, I felt that the hero point mechanic had one small, but critical, flaw.

Character creation was unreasonably restrictive to my mind. You get a number of points to spend on attributes, then you pick a profession (which generally sets how you spend 20-30% of your attribute points) which gives you a handful of skills, and then a very meager number of skill points that you must spend in specific categories. After that you pick four minor feats (or 2 minor & one major) and you're done.

Skills are a really core piece of the game, they impact virtually every roll, and most feats require at least one skill at a particular level. Your skills really dictate who you are. Character creation gives you an extremely limited selection of skill points, which is fine, but it functionally dictates where you can spend them. I believe they do this for niche protection, so that fighter types really are better fighters, but the result is that some fairly simple character concepts are impossible.

For example: I wanted to play an eastern European veteran of the second Siege of Vienna (the game was set in English speaking New England). I was pretty happy with the concept and execution of the character, however it was literally impossible for me to start as a soldier who knows more than one language with any proficiency. I could speak my native language, and have a single point in a second one. My understanding is that a single point in a language is "I can't speak the language but I can sort-of understand it and get across some basic concepts." Perhaps there's some hidden rule I don't know about, I didn't get to read the book thoroughly, but I found no way to be able to speak two languages, unless you took one of the scholarly templates. On the other side of that coin, our friend Matt played one of the scholars, and he was unable to qualify for most, if not all, of the combat feats.

Additionally, in order to buy a skill that is outside of your niche with experience points, you spend twice the cost of the skill. This means that you're giving up a really substantial boost in your core abilities in order to pick up a very minor amount of diversification. I understand the value of niche protection, and I particularly understand it in a game clearly heavily inspired by the World of Darkness (where niche protection basically doesn't exist, and can cause real problems), but the degree and heavy handedness with which it's done in Witch Hunter was a real frustration for me.

My issue with Hero Points was a bit more minor. For the most part they function exactly like Hero Points in every game, you get them for being heroic, you spend them to gain a bonus on a die roll. My issue is that increasing your "True Faith" attribute, which is quite potent when fighting demons, requires you to horde your hero points to upgrade it. I don't like system elements that encourage me to horde resources. Encourage me to spend resources, spending resources is fun, hording resources is dull.

Rereading this post, it seems like I'm complaining a lot, but honestly I liked the system. I think the fact that I liked the system as a whole really makes the parts I didn't like stand out in contrast. I would play the game again, and not just with people I know and like (who I will play almost any game with). I wouldn't run the game, mostly because it doesn't pass my GURPS threshold (i.e. Can I run the same game as well or better with GURPS? No? Then I'll just use GURPS).

Malkcntent
10-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm also one of the players in the game and I'll reiterate two points Ulfendar made. First, it was a great session and everyone had a blast. The dark, gothic feel of the game was really captured by the adventure and the GM and I really enjoyed the final showdown in the church as well as the other gothic/horror tones of the game.

Character creation was a pain. You're really shoved into your character's profession with little leeway outside of the template they give you. It occurred to me today that this bothered me in this game but doesn't in others such as Dark Heresy (which I love). Not sure why that is, but I felt overly restricted in WitchHunter.

I'll reserve judgment of the system after a few more sessions, but the game went smoothly. Well, as smoothly as a new rpg can go. I look forward to the next game where my lawyer can bust out his impressive debate ability and convince the demons to ask God for forgiveness.