PDA

View Full Version : My campaign world

Bearfoot_Adam
09-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Well, I'm finally unpacked enough to start working on this again and would love your guys input on this as it is my first world creation. I figured I'd start out with my creation myth. Let me know what you think.

In the days before the land and all her creatures there was only Tachutanna the sun and her lover Tachutatta the moon. Together they danced in the heavens two cosmic beings sharing the universe alone. Time passed, and out of their dance came Erden their daughter. As their daughter grew her parents gave her many gifts. Blue oceans, grey mountains, amber plains, green forests and brown deserts were her raiment. Animals, fishes, Birds were given to her for her pleasure. Her greatest gift was the animal named Man. They made her happiest of all for all the things they could do.

Time passed as time does and Erden grew tired of the gifts of her parents. She wanted to make men of her own design but she could not for the creation of life was for the sun and the moon. And so it came to pass that Erden interrupted the great cosmic dance of Tachutanna and Tachutatta. Erden called out to her father and he came down to her and they began to form a new dance, and out of that dance came beings like man but of Erdens body and design. These new men forever marked by the earth their maker would later be given the name dwarves.

When Tachutanna learned of the trespasses of her child and her cosmic lover she became outraged. She began to chase Tachutatta across the heavens. But Tachutatta is quick and has been able to avoid her wrath. And to this day the sun and the moon will never be seen together in the sky.

As for Erden, Tachutanna ripped a pieces of her flesh and hurled them with might toward her daughter. The impacts shook Erden to her core scarring her face with great craters. The pain and anguish of this caused great tears to well up from Erden and soon these scars were covered by water.

This explosion had far greater impacts for the denizens of Erden. For Erdenís children they became scared of the wrath of Tachutanna and turned to their birth mother the earth for protection. To this day the dwarves dwell below the earth safe from the suns wrath never straying to the surface for too long.

But that was not the only consequence. Tachutanna, a being of pure creative force, unleashed a part of that force on the land. She brought magic to the land. The creatures of her design closest to the blast were permanently changed by this force. Elves were now seen, as were satyrs, centaurs and other strange animal hybrids. Mighty beasts sprung up in the seas, and plains, and mountains. Not even Erdens dwarves were without change as some changed into trolls, and ogres before they could seek the safety of their mother.

Time passes as time does and these creatures old and new began to find their places in the way of things. Erdenís scar, still the heart of magic draws the beings who were created by terrible day forever connected to its power while beings made before that day remain independent of that source and populate farther lands. And that is how world we live in has come to be.

boulet
09-17-2008, 07:13 AM
It's a nice story, reminds me of Greek Mythology for the incestuous undertone and the rebellion theme, but on the other hand it sounds like a more primitive kind of myth. I especially like the idea that the Sun is female, it's not typical (except maybe in Shinto tradition).

There's a little trouble though. And I think it comes from the fact that the Moon and the Sun have names that are too similar. It's going to be a source of confusion during game time as much as it is confused in your text already.

...there was only Tachutanna the sun and her lover Tachutatta the moon. Together they danced in the heavens two cosmic beings sharing the universe alone. ... When Tachutanna learned of the trespasses of her child and her cosmic lover she became outraged. She began to chase Tachutanna across the heavens. But Tachutanna is quick and has been able to avoid her wrath. And to this day the sun and the moon will never be seen together in the sky.
In bold are the cases that seems to refer to the Sun. Underlined are those related to the Moon, the unscrupulous fleeing lover. There might be other inversions of the names across your text. I suggest to differentiate them by more than only one syllable and re-check the text.

ignimbrite
09-17-2008, 10:40 AM
got to agree with boulet. I really like the myth it is a really good way to explain magic and aberrations etc.
Only suggestion would be to differentiate the names, try to make the sun a softer or shorter sounding name and the moon with a harder set of consonants.

nijineko
09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
reminds me of some shinto traditions. the first four beings that arose were singular in nature, and gave birth to the next one which was also singular... sort of like how the doctor regenerates on doctor who... the next four were paired, and bi-sexual in nature... and if i recall my chat with the shinto priest correctly, gave birth to each succeeding pair. the last pair were the two who created the world (japan) by dipping their spear into the water and stirring it up so that the mud broke the surface. this was also the pair that had many many children who became the various spirits that dwell in all the different things. of the more famous of their children is amaterasu, who story has similar aspects to the story of jesus christ in certain respects.

unfortunately, i no longer live in japan, and the book shown to me by the shinto priest has never been translated into english, to my knowledge. i believe it gave the geneology of the gods from the earliest times down to the current emperor, among other teachings. ^^ at the very least, it tracked the geneology of the gods in prehistoric times, judging by the chart in the book he showed me.

Bearfoot_Adam
09-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Good points on the name change, and will do as soon as I come up with something I like. I picked them because they were derivitives of the names of two mountains near this villige in Peru I visited one being mountain father the other mountain mother. Yeah I liked the idea of the sun being feminine since it is the sun that is really the giver of all life. Thanks for the comments all. The next part will hopefully be a history of the land. Yay!!!

tesral
09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Nicely done. Carve that on some rock and bury it for several thousand years and people would call it history.