PDA

View Full Version : A Grognard Looks Back

big_hungry
09-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Okay, so I'm an OG. Tough.

For history, I'll have to finish my archeaological dig to find my logbooks.
Today, I'll start with some more recent stuff, and try to shake the dustmice out of my memory later.

Recently, an overachieving genius player who is in his fourth year of high school, decided he would try out his shiny new chainmail of levitation. Being the intelligent elf that he is, he identifies the command word for "up." (around here, identify reveals one power, command word or plus per cast- I'll discuss more on this later...)

My genius friend then decides to don said chainmail of levitation, and speaks the command word. Mercifully (?), he was inside the mage's guild library when he did so, instead of in the green outside the guild. Which is where this mis-adventure started. So there he is, stuck to a 40 foot ceiling, with some 25 or so fellow mages looking on. Our interpid adventurer begged his deity to help out, since he couldn't figure out how to get out of this predicament. Bets were made, pools started, and general ridicule tossed about. The PC's deity responded by getting in on one of the pools. (guess who won that one... ) One of the PC's fellow partymembers (another elf from a rival clan) wandered in to see what all the ruckus was. He got a ladder, and placing it carefully just out of reach of the flying player, proceeded to [I]identify the command word for "down." Climbing back down the ladder, he went and ate a bit of lunch. "Magic is such tiring and tedious work after all." After a short lunch (chinese delivery- this is a rather sizable cosmopolitan town anyway), the flying elf was rescued by his partymate. Who has yet to share the command word. (a limited wish was also used, worded thusly: "that no more identify spells will reveal the command word for 'down,' for that particular chainmail. ever.") I sense a lot of trouble with this in the future. good trouble, but trouble.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-16-2008, 05:27 PM
This is hilarious stuff. I loved reading it. (;

Thoth-Amon

nijineko
09-16-2008, 05:57 PM
rocking awesome! ^^ quite enjoyable, do continue posting, by all means. =D

Grumpy Old Man
09-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Okay, so I'm an OG. Tough.

I sense a lot of trouble with this in the future. good trouble, but trouble.
My kind of man, I wish we were 850 miles closer

tesral
09-23-2008, 12:01 PM
My kind of man, I wish we were 850 miles closer

Too much continent in the continent. I want Niven's Flick booths.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Ive run into the same dilemma. Just waaaaay to much continent in the continent. There are so many gamers here whos games i would love to join, if not for the miles. );

nijineko
09-23-2008, 06:02 PM
we need to borrow a page from the transcendesant pig's book... omni-locality is quite handy.