PDA

View Full Version : Damage progression?

zergrusheddie
09-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Howdy folks. I know that the damage progression for most characters is easy enough to figured out. 1, 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, and 1d12 is the most common damage chain.

However, how does a Monk's damage progression go if he finds a few things that increase his size or damage? For example, what is the damage of a level 20, effectively, Monk that has 3 size increasers or more?
What's the damage progression?

Best of luck folks.
-Eddie

ignimbrite
09-12-2008, 04:30 PM
level 20 monk is 2d10 right?
and PHB says a medium weapon that does 2d10 goes to 4d8 when it is made large.
Monster manual gives 2d8 -> 3d8 for larger sizes.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to say: 2d10 -> 4d8 -> 5d8 -> 6d8, etc
or 2d10 -> 4d8 -> 4d10 -> 6d8, etc
Statisically they are close but the straight d8 progression would give a slightly higher average. Depends how much you love your d10's I suppose.

DMMike
09-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Best to go to the Monster Manual for this, maybe starting with Animated Objects.

But since it's possible there aren't any monsters that do 2d10(?) damage on a slam, you could stop and realize that monk attacks require quickness and precision, which probably are hindered by increases in size. If that's the case, maybe only higher STR bonuses should apply.

zergrusheddie
09-13-2008, 06:21 PM
There really is no concrete chart about how the damage goes up, is there? I mean, most damage never goes over 2d10, so is there a way to know what a level 20 Monk does with 3 Size Increases and a Damage Increase?

zergrusheddie
09-13-2008, 06:27 PM
you could stop and realize that monk attacks require quickness and precision, which probably are hindered by increases in size. If that's the case, maybe only higher STR bonuses should apply.

True enough, but there is always this:
Ali, for a Heavy Weight, really did not hit all that hard; he was just so damn fast.
George Foreman could knock out a lesser man with a back-hand slap.

Just because you may lose some precision in being larger, it does not mean you are less lethal. Would you rather me attack you with a medical scapel or a rusty chainsaw?;)

Best of luck
-Eddie

nijineko
09-13-2008, 09:29 PM
there is a concrete chart. =D

and here is the link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm#tableSmallorLargeMonkUnarmedDamage). this only covers small and large monks. but it is a start.

also, in savage species, there is an expanded chart that will help you with the extra boosts. page 43 has what you want. complete chart for changing damage for any size.

i do believe that there is also a chart in complete warrior, but it deals with improvised weapons. ^^

in order to calculate, start with the link, then go to savage species and finish your calculations. =D

nijineko
09-14-2008, 12:51 PM
the table in savage species has what you want. i suspect that i've seen a slightly updated list somewhere, but i cannot recall where. page 43 of savage species covers starting damage from 1 point to 1d20 (or 2d10, as the case may be), and covers up to 6 size increases. you can easily extrapolate from the table if you need more than 6 size increases. ^^

ignimbrite
09-15-2008, 12:56 PM
I came up with the progression by looking at savage species and monster manual and the small/large monk progression. Using the d8 progression seems to be the most logical.

dentarthur
09-18-2008, 01:58 PM
The d8 progression will give you the same amount of extra damage at each size increase (+4.5 average). If you want to get more of a feeling of "huge things hit REALLY hard" you can use an exponential increase, like so:

1d6 -> 1d8 -> 1d10 -> 1d12 ->
2d6 -> 2d8 -> 2d10 -> 2d12 ->
4d6 -> 4d8 -> 4d10 -> 4d12 ->
8d6 -> etc.

This doubles the number of dice every 4 size categories, thus doubling damage as often. Not sure how broken this is but have fun.