PDA

View Full Version : research challenge!

nijineko
09-07-2008, 03:30 PM
i'm looking for a way to be able to meet a requirement of "being able to cast 1st level spells" without actually taking a level of sor or wiz. i've thought of factotum from the dungeonscape, but it doesn't fit thematically with the character in question. are there any other ways? the characters race is already predetermined, so that is not an option either.

Kalanth
09-07-2008, 05:10 PM
You want what? 1st level arcane spells without taking those classes? Just take a level of Bard, since their spells are arcane, and you can call it a day.

nijineko
09-07-2008, 05:19 PM
better than taking a level, a way of casting 1st level spells that does not require taking a level at all, if possible. none of the arcane classes fit the character concept except for sorcerer. so what i'm looking for is the existance, if any, of a completely different option. ^^

Riftwalker
09-07-2008, 08:14 PM
You may have to homebrew up a feat (or two or more) for that.

nijineko
09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
no kidding. i'm looking towards the complete mage and complete arcane in my own research, as they have feats that allow you to cast a spell or two. i'm trying to avoid the homebrew stuff if possible, though. ^^

ignimbrite
09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
does the first level spell have to be an arcane spell? Otherwise you could take a divine level like healer from Miniatures Handbook ...
I think that the feats that grant you 1 or 2 spell like abilities a day *might* work, but it's kinda pushing it.
Otherwise I'd be tempted to say that the requirement is there to act as a minor penalty/inconvenience because the PrC is good enough to warrant it.

nijineko
09-07-2008, 09:13 PM
yeah, i noticed that the feats grant spell-like abilities, which do not qualify as casting spells for purposes of the class. and yes, it has to be arcane spells.

the prestige in question is the arcane archer class. ^^

Riftwalker
09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Presumably this is to avoid the disadvantages of taking a level of sorcerer or wizard?

If you're going for Arcane Archer, there may be some overlooked bonuses you might find interesting by taking a level in wizard/sorcerer.

Here's a few:
- The True Strike spell. Since you'll probably normally be wearing armor, get some wands of this, maybe even taking Craft Wand.
- You can substitute getting a familiar for some interesting abilities. PHB2 has a bunch. For example, (Urgent Shield (+2 Shield bonus to AC as immediate action usable a number of times per day equal to your INT modifier), Cursed Glance, Prescience, others).
- Getting an item familiar (such as your bow or a quiver) might also be worthwhile instead of a regular familiar.

dentarthur
09-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Craft Wand requires caster level 5th; however, you can take Scribe Scroll (or get it automatically as a Wizard) and you'll effectively have as many spells per day as you need, at a very low cost since 1st-level scrolls are stupid cheap. And yes, there are definitely benefits to being a 1st-level caster: True Strike, Mage Armor, and Ray of Enfeeblement can be used to good effect in combat; several cantrips can be useful, especially if your group lacks an arcane caster; and once you hit 2nd level in Arcane Archer you can slap Magic Missile or Chill Touch on your arrows for more damage.

Riftwalker
09-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Mea culpa on Craft Wand. Though you can still buy them or scribe some scrolls as dentarthur mentions.

nijineko
09-08-2008, 08:19 PM
neither magic missle nor chill touch can be placed on arrows by an arcane archer. the prestige class feature requires that the spell in question have an area effect in order to imbue it into an arrow.

the reasons for taking a level of arcane archer is background story only. it would be nice if i didn't have to spend a level to qualify for it, but it seems that there will be no choice. at least the favored class is sorcerer. ^^

by the way, this is the same character that i mentioned over in the multiclassing thread. ^^