PDA

View Full Version : D&D Forgotten Realms Player's Guide Excerpts: Luruar

PnP News Bot
09-04-2008, 12:00 AM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Forgotten Realms Player's Guide Excerpts: Luruar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080904a)

Luruar offers a new start for people with ruined lives, welcoming those of all races and backgrounds, as long as their intentions are noble.

Farcaster
09-04-2008, 10:55 AM
I really like the suggested roleplaying backgrounds depending on your region! That is a great resource to help players give their character's a unique feel. Well done! (And a snub to those that claim that the focus of 4e is devoid of roleplaying)

tesral
09-04-2008, 11:34 AM
I really like the suggested roleplaying backgrounds depending on your region! That is a great resource to help players give their character's a unique feel. Well done! (And a snub to those that claim that the focus of 4e is devoid of roleplaying)

So so. Decent writing but I expect that. A few character hooks. A few paragraphs of area description. It's about par for a typical Lizards effort. It doesn't change the rule focus on a miniature war game.

Farcaster
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
To be fair, more detailed descriptions of the region are in the Campaign Guide.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Anything that suggests, or rather encourages, clever backgrounds for characters is all right with me. Pretty much a requirement in all my games... as well as my other gamer-GM's.

Thoth-Amon

darelf
09-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah, this would be awesome in the actual game, rather than as a supplement. If the "first" core player book had spent more time on mechanics to flesh out the role-playing part, I don't think anyone would be complaining about it today.

Farcaster
09-08-2008, 10:59 AM
The backgrounds presented in the excerpt are regional based from Forgotten Realms. Since the core rule books didn't include a world setting, I don't see how they could have included such.

Out of curiousity, I never purchased the Forgotten Realms Players Guide for 3rd edition. Did they have suggested character backgrounds in that one as well?

darelf
09-09-2008, 07:58 AM
The backgrounds presented in the excerpt are regional based from Forgotten Realms. Since the core rule books didn't include a world setting, I don't see how they could have included such.

Out of curiousity, I never purchased the Forgotten Realms Players Guide for 3rd edition. Did they have suggested character backgrounds in that one as well?

That's not what I meant. I meant... actually looking back it seems I said what I meant. So I'll quote it:

If the "first" core player book had spent more time on mechanics to flesh out the role-playing part, I don't think anyone would be complaining about it today.

Please note in the excerpt you linked to the (tiny) section about game mechanics that have to do with background. This is what I'm talking about that is missing from 4th ed. Give me more of that in the core book and I would be happier about 4th ed all around.

There were background things in the 3rd edition FRPG and lots of setting specific rules (which is how FR has always been, since it is not the default setting of D&D), but it doesn't seem to me to be the purpose of an alternate setting to add the RP to the G. Maybe I'm old fashioned and this is the wave of the future where the game rules are in one book and role-playing rules are available separately.

Farcaster
09-12-2008, 02:52 PM
The Forgotten Realms Players Guide gives some flavor character enhancements that have to do with the region the character is from. I suppose that the core rulebooks could have given suggestions as to how to create your own character background flavor abilities... I don't think that means there was something "missing" from the core books, however.