PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Availability Tracker

Farcaster
09-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Hello, all.

I've started work on a new gaming availability tool. Now, instead of simply putting in your availability as "Saturdays, Sundays," and "Afternoons, Evenings," you will be able to indicate exactly what hours you're typically available to game (or attend events).

At the moment, you can visit your profile (Player Registry -> Your Profile) to setup your times. Other members will be able to see what you entered (adjusted for their timezone) when they visit your profile. Here is a list of the future improvements I am planning to add to this:

The Player Registry Search will allow you to search for members who are available during specific hours and days.
The Campaign Invitations tool will be integrated will use this same availability chart and will help the GM find players available at specific days/times.
Social Group Members will be able to see other group members availability in a consolidated view. This will help group leaders figure out the best time for scheduling events, or if you setup a Social Group for your players, you can use the schedule view to figure out the best time to plan the next game.
Members will be able to enter "exception time." For example, let's say that you are typically available on Saturday between 2pm and 11pm, but this upcoming Saturday, September 6th, you have to work until 4pm. You will be able to enter an "exception" in your schedule to block that time out as unavailable on this particular week. Other members will see your exceptions in the schedule view in social groups. (Think Outlook if you've ever used the calendar feature in that.)

I think this will ultimately be a great tool for smaller gaming groups and larger area groups alike. I know I have been wanting something like this for my group for a while. In the meantime, I hope that having a more detailed view of member gaming availability will be helpful.

Enjoy, and please update your availability as soon as you can, as the Registry and Campaign Invitations tools will eventually be switched over to use that chart instead of the current profile fields.

If you have any questions or encounter any nasty little bugs, let me know :)

Farcaster
09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Good, bad, indifferent? Anyone have any comments / recommendations?

kujester
09-04-2008, 12:37 PM
My only concern, as it has always been for the 'availabillity' section is for those of us who really don't have any availability to play in person, but have scattered/random times for playing PbP games. Any recommendation on how we should label ourselves in that situation?

Farcaster
09-04-2008, 01:00 PM
You labeled it correctly in your profile as "Restricted or Variable Schedule". Since you don't have any typical schedule, you might not want to fill it out. When I add the ability to log exceptions, then at least your GM could use that to determine dates in the future that you and other members of his group are available (at the same time, hopefully).

Grimwell
09-04-2008, 01:02 PM
I think this is pretty darn cool, and a really good idea. From the "I'm trying to schedule something that will work." perspective this has many of the answers.

Well done!

nijineko
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
very useful and cool! i look forward to checking it out. (even if i have to put restricted/variable schedule for myself. ^^)

spotlight
09-04-2008, 06:43 PM
It seems a usful tool. I doubt I will use it much personally. but then thats just how I treat comps.

cplmac
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
I like how you can show each hour of availability. Will make it easier to know more specifically when people are looking to game. Also looking forward to when the exceptions will be able to be listed. Hopefully it goes over good.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
It's an "above and beyond" project. In a world where most choose to do the minimum, why on earth would i ever have a problem with the Gaming Availability Tracker?

Once again, Farcaster makes it clear why he is a Quasy-Deity.

Thoth-Amon

Stormcrow77
09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
This is a great tool. Hope it helps me find a game soon.

Webhead
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Very cool. As usual, Farcaster goes above and beyond the call of duty. Good work! :)

mrken
09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
The old way was good, this way is gooder, (is that right?, or is it more gooder?) specially for us visually inclined. :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Gooderer, would be the mostest correct.

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Gooderer, would be the mostest correct.

Thoth-Amon

I learned you well. Your grammar is most good.

boulet
09-10-2008, 03:23 PM
My rezent fn maid at ze ekspenz of un-anglosokzon mameboers laka me

nijineko
09-10-2008, 06:09 PM
heheheh. don't make me start breaking out the jap-lish on everyone! ^^

boulet
09-10-2008, 06:22 PM
/me pokes rainbow kitty with a chopstick until his forehead veins triple volume

nijineko
09-10-2008, 08:14 PM
unless you had recently eaten fish, chicken, liver or some other food which kitty would like off of those chopsticks.... ;D in which case you might not be holding them anymore.