PDA

View Full Version : How do I convince my DM?

duncandun
09-02-2008, 07:25 PM
to switch to SWSE from the RCR?

He said it would throw a monkey wrench in his plans, but I'm not so convinced it would really cause any problems (or many?). We just finished the first 'arc' of the campaign(I think) Saved a senaters daughter(also girlfriend of mace windus son), and have reached level four.

In anycase, give me some compelling arguments to sway his position, because the players would like to switch to SAGA, but like I said, hes reluctant. and I don't wanna switch to SAGA unless he wants to.

Webhead
09-02-2008, 09:22 PM
If possible, give him the opportunity to read through the book so he can see how the game has changed. A lot of the changes sound drastic and jarring if you're just hearing about it second hand (like fewer "core" classes) but once you've read through things to understand how the game was restructured, it starts to become clear exactly what the game is trying to do. I'm assuming that none of you have actually played a game using Saga Edition, so get the group together and let the GM know that all of you are willing to work together to learn the ins and outs of the new system.

If you're looking for specific selling points on Saga, that is tough because there is so much that makes Saga a good game. For the most part, its strength comes from the fact that a lot of rules systems that were needlessly complicated or given their own obscure rulings were streamlined and made quicker and easier to remember and reference during the game. The core classes were trimmed down but at the same time, they were made more flexible through the ability to select from the various talent trees. Even two characters taking the same class can have entirely different play styles based on the types of talents they choose.

Combat rules are quicker, easier and more intuitive, the new Force Power design is a lot of fun but still fairly balanced against the other classes.

Talents are one of the coolest new elements of the game.

Also, character creation is considerably quicker in Saga. Even creating high-level NPCs can be done in 30 minutes, so it makes it easier for the GM to put things together.

The ship combat system has more options than the previous version, in my opinion, yet is still simple enough not to bog down the game.

There's a lot that makes Saga good, but I think the best path is to sit down with the GM and look over the game together. Point out the cool stuff and share the enthusiasm. Hope that works for you.

vadersson
09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
I would have to agree with webhead. Show him the book, maybe sit down and make some characters to see how quick and unique they all are. Maybe play out a quick combat to see why it is so much better.

I can understand the GMs reluctance if he has a lot of encounters planned out and all balanced. Your characters would likely wind up with different power sets and all the NPCs would have to be remade. All that said Saga is easy to crank that type of thing out in.

Thanks,
Duncan

Inquisitor Tremayne
09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
You could even run a short adventure for your group using Saga's rules. That would clear up some things and let everyone realize how freaking awesome Saga is!

I would make it a higher level one shot, like 5th-7th level.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I would agree with the other posters. Let him read through the book for it just may be his unfamiliararity with SAGA that is the snag. Also, the other suggestion of running a short adventure has merit too. If he is still hesitant after these two suggestions, then i guess you fears have been realized and youll continue to play RCR.

Best of luck and may the force be with you,

Thoth-Amon

duncandun
09-03-2008, 02:38 PM
im kind of hoping he sees this thread to be honest lol.

thanks for the replies, I guess we(the players) will get together and buy the book(and maybe the KOTOR book because its supposedly amazing) and sit down and let him look it over.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I wouldnt worry. I wouldnt be threatened if i was the GM and saw this thread. In fact, on the contrary, it shows a healthy level of interest in my game by my players which is conducive to enjoyable and memorable gameplay.

Thoth-Amon

vadersson
09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I would suggest that you join the RPGA, become a GM, and then download and run the one shot Betrayal of Darth Revan module. It was a lot of fun and shows off several aspects of the Saga system, including 9th level characters and space ship combat.

Thanks,
Duncan

masterjudge
10-15-2008, 04:08 PM
SAGA is the best thing since sliced bread. It is easy and fun. I suggest showing him the book, and maybe running a short campaign. It would also be a good idea to show him just how easy it is to create new PCs and NPCs.