PDA

View Full Version : Psi Fantasy gaming

ronpyatt
09-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Have you ever run or been in a classic fantasy game where psychic powers dominated the campaign?
Was it because the characters were psionic?
Was the nature of the world psionic?
How much magic was in the world?
Were psionics overpowered, underpowered, or just another kind of magic?

Webhead
09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I've expressed it elsewhere, so I won't go into too much detail, but Dark Sun was my favorite pre-built D&D world and it was bleeding with psionics. Just about every monster (and every PC) had at least some psionic powers.

There's still some magic in Dark Sun through the Defilers and Preservers who draw spell energy from plant life (and thus the reason the planet was turned into a nearly endless desert) and Templars who drew magic from the ancient Sorcerer-Kings.

As best I recall, psionics wasn't really more powerful than magic (perhaps even a bit less powerful, but more versatile), but it was a good bit different than magic in its practice and application.

praksis
09-02-2008, 11:11 AM
I've played in one game where psionics dominated the game, but that was by design. Single player game by friend was running for me in Ad&d 2nd ed. Telepath in a world where psionics were outlawed and viewed by the general poplace as witches/warlocks to be burned at the stake. Became very interesting getting through things without ever letting anyone realize what he was (oddly enough gaining the rep as one of the great figherts of the land), but since no one had any psionic defenses he was significantly more powerful than normal. Telepaths could do mean things to people in 2nd ed, ego whip was the stable in combat...-5 to do anything always a great way to 'even' the odds.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Magic was much more prevelant in the game. Psionics is great for flavor and i never disallowed a player to use it. I have never played an all psionics game... been talked about, but never done. Perhaps one day soon.

Never found psionics to be overpowered... and i have played them to the high double-digits in levels. Ask anyone who's played said characters for many levels and they will tell you the same thing. Only time i ever heard the contrary was from GM's that used the reasoning not to allow psionics in the game for "they read somewhere" that the discipline unbalances the game.

Thoth-Amon

nijineko
09-02-2008, 09:33 PM
i must agree, i've experienced that psionics are not overpowered (in 3.5e and gurps and some others), and i've played at many differing levels. unfortunately, i've never found someone to play a psi-only campaign with me, but it is guaranteed that psionics exist in all of my games. ^^ and i tend to play psionics in other's games.

tesral
09-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Have you ever run or been in a classic fantasy game where psychic powers dominated the campaign?
Was it because the characters were psionic?
Was the nature of the world psionic?
How much magic was in the world?
Were psionics overpowered, underpowered, or just another kind of magic?

Dominated, no. But I desiged my psionics to not dominate. Andt hat chapter is done. Time to upload it.

nijineko
09-05-2008, 10:07 PM
yea!!! =D