PDA

View Full Version : Your 4E character

kirksmithicus
09-01-2008, 12:18 AM
So tell us all about the great new character you've made for 4E. :D

I was thinking of going with a Dwarven Ranger.

dentarthur
09-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Darenna is an elven cleric of Pelor, specializing in Wisdom-based holy-light attacks and defense/healing prayers. She is also impersonating a male and going by the name Lucanar. (Long story.) The other PCs discovered the gender thing while performing a Heal check to pull her out of negative hit points last session, but they didn't bring up the issue in-character, so as far as Darenna knows she's still fooling everyone.

I've geared this character up for maximum radiant damage -- lots of radiant powers, highest score in Wisdom, racial Wis bonus, Astral Fire feat for +1 radiant damage. I go after the armored guys first since they're likely to have crap Reflex defenses, but of course I can always hit someone with my mace instead. I'm getting great mileage out of Healing Word too, since my party (there are only 3 of us, all 1st-level) needs healing all the damn time.

I've got a spare character drawn up as well: a dragonborn (cold breath) named Gannin, a former circus performer who's now (or will be, if I end up using him) on a mission to avenge the death of his brothers. He's a Rogue, and I've set him up for +damage as well, using daggers and shuriken along with Weapon Focus: light blade, the Brutal Scoundrel build, and 16s in Str and Dex.

Kalanth
09-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I am the DM, but the party is filled with interesting charactes.

We just had our Eladrin Warlord / Warlock leave the party but he was certainly an interesting character. Inspiring the party and providing healing while using his eye bite to get an upper hand on the enemies. The player was planning to do full multiclass so no paragon path for this one.

Vix is a Half-elf wizard that, because the DM said so, also has the Lay on Hands ability. She makes use of many different status spells and is in love with her Ray of Frost as she does all she can to slow the enemy. Very standoff-ish when it comes to interaction, but this is a shy wizard.

Malik is the Brute human rogue with the high initiative. It was his belief that he should always go first and that generally is true for him. The man swipped at a dragon with a dagger and dealt nearly 50 hp damage. Course this means that his reputation is spreading thanks to those that see his work and live by running, and so the enemy has started to focus on him.

Sidd is an extra dimensional traveler. A former Knight of the Rose come to my homebrew world, now defined as a Paladin. Sidd stands in the front and holds his position against all odds. Though the world is strange to him, Sidd has found his home with the others to be quite welcoming. Last session Sidd branched out and is now a Paladin / Ranger.

I will have two or three new players in the next session so there will likely be more to add here.

ronpyatt
09-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Karrak is my Dragonbron (cold breath) Paladin of Erathis. He likes to take orders, but so far the party has not figured that out. He's charisma focused with Str as his dump stat. With Astral Speech, he is well on his way to becoming a busy talker, and his bark with be as nasty as his bite.

Chi
09-02-2008, 11:32 AM
I am making an Eladrin Rogue! Her name is Leshanna!

MortonStromgal
09-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Morton Stromgal Dwarf Paladin... a reincarnation of an old character

Morton started out a Fighter (AD&D 2nd) then moved into the roll of Cleric (3.0 & 3.5) for a number of years and finally now has settled into a new role as a Paladin for 4e

fmitchell
09-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I've talked about Oriana Dunharrow, the Tiefling Warlord, in other threads:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34604#post34604

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=39509#post39509

See also the campaign thread:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6589

Valdar
09-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Someday I hope to play a character in 4e. I just need to make sure my schedule is clear for the meetup I guess.

Characters in my game include and have included:

Bellavixi, Tiefling Warlock. Survivor of a senseless feudal war, she aspires to the values of the Paladin that raised her.

Garn: Dragonborn Warlord. His destiny is to lead his refugee clan to reclaim his homeland, an expidition he was recently called away to undertake.

Kalena: Human Wizard with an overpowering thirst for knowledge.

Kyri: Elf Ranger, adventuring to escape her destiny as a bureaucrat.

Markas: Half-Elven Paladin of the Raven Queen, living by the credo that honor and glory is merely the road to an early grave.

Rhegar: Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut. Singleminded in his devotion to Law and Good, he's often the force that keeps the group on track. Recently left the group to accompany Garn.

Tavia: Human Cleric of Kord. Was looking forward to joining her family on their merchant expeditions when her calling as a warrior-priest called her away.

Travis: Human Rogue, struggling just to get by. Met a sticky end early on when underestimating a grave hound.

Yvala: Tiefling Rogue. On the run from being the wrong assassin at the wrong time, she's joined the group looking for a quick escape from her homeland.

Valdar
09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Aside: There are four Dragonborn named in this thread, and they've all chosen cold as their breath weapon- I haven't run the numbers, but what's the appeal?

Kalanth
09-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Its frosty? All the dragonborn players I have come across choose the Cold breath as well. Must be something about it.

Chi
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
My fiances dragonborn is doing acid, but I thought could would be neat. He told me that a fighting dragonborn with acid could eat through armor and kill anything, we will see.

DeathByDM
09-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm the DM character.....

In my group we have:

Dragonborn Paladin
Dragonborn Warlord
Eladrin Rogue
Eladrin Wizard

Variety is the spice of life eh?

Dead characters in this campaign include:
Elf Ranger
Human Warlord
Human Fighter
Human Warlock

Interesting....

Characters I would like to play (in no particular order)
Bugbear Ranger
Doppleganger Wizard
Minotaur Fighter

Maybe it's a good thing I am the DM....

Webhead
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Aside: There are four Dragonborn named in this thread, and they've all chosen cold as their breath weapon- I haven't run the numbers, but what's the appeal?

It's the perfect excuse when the party is readying for battle for one of the other PCs to utter the line:

"Stay frosty." :drum:

:behindsofa:

Thriondel Half-Elven
09-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Can't decide between:

Dragonborn Fighter
Elf Ranger
Eladrin Wizard
Human Cleric

Don't know which to pick. all of them are cool. (kinda leaning away from the cleric).

HELP!!!!

Webhead
09-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Can't decide between:

Dragonborn Fighter
Elf Ranger
Eladrin Wizard
Human Cleric

Don't know which to pick. all of them are cool. (kinda leaning away from the cleric).

HELP!!!!

What are the other classes in your group? I always find it best when trying to choose between multiple concepts to consider what the others are player to avoid redundancy or leaving crucial "gaps" in party capability.

Thriondel Half-Elven
09-09-2008, 05:54 PM
What are the other classes in your group? I always find it best when trying to choose between multiple concepts to consider what the others are player to avoid redundancy or leaving crucial "gaps" in party capability.

ya thats what i was thinking. i actually made all four of them already (how lame). i'm not sure what chi is going to be. and the other guy i'm not sure of either. so thats why i made one of each "role".

what are your thoughts on the char ideas?

Webhead
09-09-2008, 05:58 PM
ya thats what i was thinking. i actually made all four of them already (how lame). i'm not sure what chi is going to be. and the other guy i'm not sure of either. so thats why i made one of each "role".

what are your thoughts on the char ideas?

Have you played any of these race/class combos before? If so, did you like it or not? What kinds of characters do you usually play? Are you looking to stick with something familiar or do you want to try something different?

Thriondel Half-Elven
09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Have you played any of these race/class combos before? If so, did you like it or not? What kinds of characters do you usually play? Are you looking to stick with something familiar or do you want to try something different?

oh wow.

this is actually my first foray into 4th edition!:redface:

in 3.5 i usually played a half-elf ranger.

its been a while since i have roleplayed at all so. something new would be nice. i guess it depends on what i want to do. my fighter is buff and deals major damage. the ranger also has some wicked powers. it will probably be between them. the other guy in the groups like rangers and if he picks that then i will be the fighter

Webhead
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
oh wow.

this is actually my first foray into 4th edition!:redface:

in 3.5 i usually played a half-elf ranger.

its been a while since i have roleplayed at all so. something new would be nice. i guess it depends on what i want to do. my fighter is buff and deals major damage. the ranger also has some wicked powers. it will probably be between them. the other guy in the groups like rangers and if he picks that then i will be the fighter

Don't feel bad. I've not yet played 4e at all.

From the sound of it, I'd say that the Fighter is a good choice.

Thriondel Half-Elven
09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Don't feel bad. I've not yet played 4e at all.

From the sound of it, I'd say that the Fighter is a good choice.

ya that was my initial character i rolled up. then, since we weren't playing right away, i decided to make the others.

he does do massive damage. and has acid breath (i think)

MuslixtheMighty
09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
After I adventure out into the unknown reaches to try out 4E with a new group, I will post my character tomorrow.

I have made my adventurer and he is a Dragonborn Cleric of Bahamut. (It was too awesome to pass up.) More about him to come later.

kirksmithicus
09-10-2008, 04:22 PM
ya that was my initial character i rolled up. then, since we weren't playing right away, i decided to make the others.

I have found that a lot of people tend to play the same character types over and over again. Personally I would just try to have some fun with the character creation process and come up with some unusual character race/class combinations that don't get played a lot.

Chi
09-10-2008, 06:35 PM

I am think Roguesince you didn't know yet.

DeathByDM
09-11-2008, 06:30 AM
From what my group has told me and what I've seen, here's my take on the classes:

Most fun classes: Rogue, Wizard (lots of variety)
Least fun classes: Warlock, Ranger (sit back and pewpewpew with the same moves over and over)
Class that nobody has played yet: Cleric

Most broken race/class combination: Dragonborn Paladin

Race that nobody even considers playing because it's so lame: Tiefling

Valdar
09-11-2008, 10:22 AM
From what my group has told me and what I've seen, here's my take on the classes:

Most fun classes: Rogue, Wizard (lots of variety)
Least fun classes: Warlock, Ranger (sit back and pewpewpew with the same moves over and over)
Class that nobody has played yet: Cleric

Most broken race/class combination: Dragonborn Paladin

Race that nobody even considers playing because it's so lame: Tiefling

Interesting... I've seen people have fun with all of those- though Warlock would be my last choice for a class- a Striker that does less damage than a Fighter, specializing in debuffs in a game where monsters only live a couple of rounds...

We had a Dragonborn Paladin for a while, who took CHA as prime stat and a STR of 13. This has the effect of making the character a poor defender, as OAs will usually miss...

We have one Cleric, and Cleric was the second choice of the player now doing Rogue. That's not even leftover memories of 3e CoD- the Cleric's player never played 3e.

And, our current party of 6 has two tieflings.

DeathByDM
09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Interesting... I've seen people have fun with all of those- though Warlock would be my last choice for a class- a Striker that does less damage than a Fighter, specializing in debuffs in a game where monsters only live a couple of rounds...

We had a Dragonborn Paladin for a while, who took CHA as prime stat and a STR of 13. This has the effect of making the character a poor defender, as OAs will usually miss...

We have one Cleric, and Cleric was the second choice of the player now doing Rogue. That's not even leftover memories of 3e CoD- the Cleric's player never played 3e.

And, our current party of 6 has two tieflings.

The personalities of our groups are obviously very different. My group is rather short on angst. They are most intrigued by the special abilities of the dragonborn (breath) and the eladrin (teleport).

The Cleric is fine but we have one player who absolutely loves the Warlord class, so our leader is covered.

Dragonborn Paladin with good strength and charisma is almost unstoppable.

wbrandel
09-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a got a character, an Eladrin wizard, rolled stats two count 'em two 18's (before the racial bonus) whom is going to be very sneaky and underhanded (my type of guy) I would tell you more but the dm does visit this site and thread (don't you Dentarthur)

Valdar
09-12-2008, 03:52 PM
The personalities of our groups are obviously very different. My group is rather short on angst. They are most intrigued by the special abilities of the dragonborn (breath) and the eladrin (teleport).

The Cleric is fine but we have one player who absolutely loves the Warlord class, so our leader is covered.

Dragonborn Paladin with good strength and charisma is almost unstoppable.

Angst? Not so much, really- one was raised by Paladins and is living up to their ideals, the other is pretty much embracing her heritage and works as an assassin. No real angst there.

Eladrin looks fun, but redundant stats keep its powers in check (both bonuses affect AC/Ref, so you only benefit from one).

Engar
09-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Lets see. He is a fighter. He is a dwarf. He has powers just like any class. He had access to all the same skills as all the other classes. He has a unique personality, but that has nothing to do with 4e and everything to do with me resisting conformity. Hmmm, well, aside from that pesky personality he pretty much conforms to any other 4e game token, er, I mean character.

Farcaster
09-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Enough! Trolling is not acceptable.

Steve855
09-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Well, in my first 4e campaign, there was a Dragonborn fighter (he used fire breath instead of cold), Tiefling Warlock (Fey Pact), Human Warlord, Eladrin Wizard and Elf Ranger. the PC's personalities conflicted some of the time, the pretentious Warlord and the rough and tumble Fighter got into arguements, which was always fun. As for the Ranger and the Tiefling they we're two gung ho teammates who were the ones usually leading the expedition to clear out the caves or fight the undead on the mountain summit.

As for my own character, he was a Human Ranger named Morgan Nightblade. He is a revived character from 3.5 who didn't believe in a fair fight because, he was a small fry and his village was ravged by some sort of evil warmongers.

Valdar
09-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Looks like my time as a 4e player may be coming sooner than I thought- I've asked my group if anyone wants to DM a story arc, and I've got two takers.

Here's our party at the moment:

Paladin
Cleric (will be stepping out to DM first)
Wizard
Rogue
Warlock
Ranger (will be stepping out to DM second)

I know our group will be missing our only leader for the first arc, but rather than playing a pure leader, I'll be playing a Fighter (since I've never seen one played in 4e), and probably multiclass heavily into one of the Leader roles (Cleric would be more helpful, but Warlord would be better from an RP standpoint, so I wouldn't have to explain having two power sources).

So, what do you all think would make the best Fighter race for this group? I'm tempted to go with one of the races we've never seen played (Dwarf, Halfling, Eladrin) just to mix things up- I've heard good things about Warforged fighters, but want to stick with PHb for now...

or maybe I'll play a Warforged Warlord/Warlock named Warren...

dentarthur
09-20-2008, 10:00 AM
...wearing Warplate armor! Beautiful!

The Fighter/Warlord (or /Cleric) combo sounds pretty neat. You'll only get 1 healing power per day at first, but that may be all you need. But I wonder if, by sacrificing four heroic-tier feats at the altar of multiclassing, you would be hurting for important feats that could improve your combat ability. Haven't tried it myself, so I couldn't say for sure.

Kalanth
09-20-2008, 12:23 PM
So, what do you all think would make the best Fighter race for this group? I'm tempted to go with one of the races we've never seen played (Dwarf, Halfling, Eladrin) just to mix things up- I've heard good things about Warforged fighters, but want to stick with PHb for now...

or maybe I'll play a Warforged Warlord/Warlock named Warren...

You could always change it up and go with Paladin / Cleric and explain yourself as a heavily devoted member of your church.

Human is a really good choice with a Fighter / Cleric option. In my group we had an Eladrin Warlord who was great to watch. That fey step can really make a difference, and coupled with a Fighter you are able to get in and get the enemies attention faster.

Mac Who Else
09-20-2008, 05:14 PM

How Ironic, I made a Female Dwarf Ranger, She uses a crossbow instead of a traditional bow.

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/female%20dwarf%20crossbow/latest/14143
is the Mini I'm using for her done up in browns and greens.

Back story is that she was always in trouble, for acting to 'boyish' for a dwarf female, and didn't want to be stuck in the home like most are. Her father was a Well renowned Cleric of the Church (A character from our last campaign that made it to level 20ish before the story ended.) While she was off playing Orc Raiders came through and attacked her home village destroying it and raping/killing the women and children, burning bodies everything. she was one of the few who lived because she was not where she was suppose to be. Having no home she went to the nearest woods to call on the Elves for help, as her Father had told her to do many times before if ever there was trouble. Because of who's daughter she was she was given safe refuge in the elven woods until old enough to strike out on her own.

That's the short of the story, again Our group has the fortune to pull on large amount of events and back knowledge because we are on a homebrew world. And Able to play off the characters that We are playing now! A great example is Our Mage in the party was trained by a gnome with cat ears and tail, who was my character (odd things happen with rods of wonder). Even though they are now NPCS or dead, they still had an effect on the world now... The Drow have been forced to the surfice in the West because a gnome (cough cough) turned their main source of water into vile filth and putrid waist (again that rod of wonder...) It's much funner to run a second campain in the same world.

wow.. .got of track there... yeah Female Dwarf Ranger, uses the crossbow.

Name: Odharnaiot
Race: Dwarf
Class: Ranger
LVL: 5
Sex Female
Height: 4'4
Weight: 160 lbs
Age 27
Size Medium
Movement 5

Stat mod mod+
1/2 level

Str 14 2 4
Con 16 3 5
Dex 17 3 5
Int 09 -1 1
Wis 15 2 4
Cha 10 0 2

Max hp 48
Bloodied 24
Surge value 12
Surges/day 11

AC 12 +3 +3 = 18
Fort 12 +3 +1 = 16
Ref 12 +3 +1 = 16
Wil 12 +2 0 = 14

Senses
Passive insight
Passive Persception

Racial Features:
+2 endurance, Dungeoneering, Low-light vision
+5 racial to saves verse poison
Can use second wind as minor action vs standard
Proficent w Throwing and war hammer
Normal Movement even when under heavy load
move 1 less space when effect force movement
if knocked prone, save throw verse fall imediately

Class feathers:
Archer Ranger (crossbow)
Hunter's Quarry: +1d8 to quarry marked (leathal hunter)
Armor : Cloth, leather, hide
Weapons: Simple melee/ranged
Weapons Military melee/ranged

Skills
TRAINED: Dungeoneering, Endurance, Stealth, Insight, Perception, Thievery.

Feats: Sneak of Shadows, Defensive Mobility(class feature), Leathal Hunter, Linquestics.

Languages: Dwarven, Common, Elven, Draconic, Goblin

At-will powers:
Careful Attack
Twin Strike

Encounter Powers:
Evasive Strike
Cut and Run
Sneak attack

Daily Powers:
Hunter's Bear Trap
Excruciating shot

Utility Power:
Yield Ground

Equipment:
Crossbow
LongSpear
Ammunition (bolt) 60
- -double quiver on hip, spare on back(closed)
(2) water skins
(50 ft) Rope, silk
Climber's kit
Standard adventures kit
Hide armor.

Grumpy Old Man
09-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Shaggy Potz, Dwarf fighter, uses Heavy War Hammer for serious but never without his miners pick. He juggles it, spins it like a top, twirls it like a baton, even without his gear he is never unarmed and can swing it, block blows with it or throw it, whatever seems appropriate. Name Shaggy because his long hair and beard are so heavy and unkempt you cannot see his face unless he pulls his hair aside to expose an eye when he introduces himself. Man of few words and large appetite. Funny when he is drunk.

Steve855
09-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Well, I think that a TWF Ranger/Fighter Dwarf would be a great combo especially at paragon tier. This is because when you multiclass into fighter by using the Heroic tier feat, you qualify for paragon paths from both. As for the path you would want to select, it would be one called Pitfighter. With it, at level 16, you have your Wis. and Str. added to all of your attacks and sense you get a +2 Wis. as a dwarf it is a win/win. In addition to being a dwarf you get a +2 to dungeoneering, and a ranger can pick dungeoneering as a trained skill so you would have 7 + WIS mod to that stat, not to mention lowlight vision. The only problem is that you're limited to Hide, unless you burn a feat and it also takes awhile for it to mature.

Another interesting variation would be an Eladrin Ranger/Fighter, mostly because you could Fey Step into a flank, meaning that you have all sorts of options, but, that is the only real advantage I see to being an Eladrin fighter.

kirksmithicus
09-22-2008, 05:53 PM
How Ironic, I made a Female Dwarf Ranger, She uses a crossbow instead of a traditional bow.

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/female%20dwarf%20crossbow/latest/14143
is the Mini I'm using for her done up in browns and greens.

Back story is that she was always in trouble, for acting to 'boyish' for a dwarf female, and didn't want to be stuck in the home like most are. Her father was a Well renowned Cleric of the Church (A character from our last campaign that made it to level 20ish before the story ended.) While she was off playing Orc Raiders came through and attacked her home village destroying it and raping/killing the women and children, burning bodies everything. she was one of the few who lived because she was not where she was suppose to be. Having no home she went to the nearest woods to call on the Elves for help, as her Father had told her to do many times before if ever there was trouble. Because of who's daughter she was she was given safe refuge in the elven woods until old enough to strike out on her own.

That's the short of the story, again Our group has the fortune to pull on large amount of events and back knowledge because we are on a homebrew world. And Able to play off the characters that We are playing now! A great example is Our Mage in the party was trained by a gnome with cat ears and tail, who was my character (odd things happen with rods of wonder). Even though they are now NPCS or dead, they still had an effect on the world now... The Drow have been forced to the surfice in the West because a gnome (cough cough) turned their main source of water into vile filth and putrid waist (again that rod of wonder...) It's much funner to run a second campain in the same world.

wow.. .got of track there... yeah Female Dwarf Ranger, uses the crossbow.

That's cool.

I was thinking for background something like...

Family killed and he was captured at a young age by orcs and forced to work in a slave labor mine. Knows very little about dwarven history and culture. Has the social graces of an orc raised in a prison. Shaved head, short beard covered with scars from years of abuse and the lash. Escaped and then lived underground learning to stalk and kill orcs in the deep.

Two blade ranger with double war picks and the javelin (to take advantage of str).

They could be long lost siblings :D

DeathByDM
09-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Does anyone else find that the multiclass feats are the best feats available, at least in Heroic tier?

You get a trained skill (so it's like skill training, only better), a use of an ability (which makes Warlord and Cleric multiclass very good), it allows you to take feats to swap out powers and you have more paragon paths to choose from.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially if you are human and have an extra feat.

My character's that I've made for PBP games are:
Rogue/Warlock
Paladin/Warlord
Wizard/Cleric

kirksmithicus
09-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Depends on what your going for in a character, but generally it is a pretty good deal to multi-class. The only thing is that you have to be sure that is what you really want to do, because you can't change your mind about it later. In the case of the thievery skill, multi-classing is a good option rather than just taking the skill because you get the skill and the added bonus of the increased damage to one attack per encounter. On the other hand if you just take the skill you leave open the possibility of multi-classing later on.

If you really wanted to cover most of the bases you could create a Ranger, with the thieving skill and armor prof. in scale to start with. At second level throw in multi-class as cleric, warlock or wizard and you could in effect have three classes combined. I imagine it would be a lot like a demon hunter type character.

Valdar
09-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Does anyone else find that the multiclass feats are the best feats available, at least in Heroic tier?

You get a trained skill (so it's like skill training, only better), a use of an ability (which makes Warlord and Cleric multiclass very good), it allows you to take feats to swap out powers and you have more paragon paths to choose from.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially if you are human and have an extra feat.

The skill training is pretty good, but the other bits aren't all that good by themselves- one heal a day from the Leader multiclasses, one turn of ranged Hunter's Quarry for a ranger... The Fighter multi doesn't even grant a use of combat challenge (it says "mark", which is not the same...)

It seems like you need to use power swap feats to make an effective multiclass- that and make sure that you have the right abilities and attributes to make the combo effective (like, not having a Cha based power when you've dumped Cha, or gaining a mark when you don't have the defenses to back it up.)

Chavic
09-23-2008, 01:55 PM

I was also thinking of a Dwarven (Two Weapon) Ranger, being inspired by the Slayers from Warhammer Fantasy.

I'm a Creative Writing major with and interest in sci fi and fanatasy, and since I took up DnD I have had a lot of fun just writing up detailed character backgrounds for characters I want to play in the future. I'm currently playing a Dragonborn paladin but I want to play:

A human infernal warlock named Chavic. Long story short:
Chavic was the youngest son of a renowned wizarding family, he lacked even the ability to light a small candle. Pushed out by his own guilt and his parents' shame, he becomes a mercenary and joins a caravan as a guard. He fights for about a year before joining a mercenary band and become close friends with the dwarves, humans, and elves that make it up.
They are hired to deal with a necromancer by a small, out of the way town, only to find that the towns people are cultists drawing them in for a blood sacrafice for their necromancer lord. Chavic is mortally wounded and his friends are slaughtered.
Using his knowledge of the arcane he calls up a demon and swears to preform a unnamed task in the future in return for vengence. He is granted infernal power and gets his revenge, but then wonders what he has become and what his fate will be.

Lol ok, maybe this isn't so short, but it is still shorter than the 10 page story I wrote.

I have also drawn up a story for a son of a noble family, bored with courtly life, who joined a conscript army under and assumed name. Eventually he becomes a Ranger (Rifleman in the steampunk setting)

I am still writting the story of the Dwarven ranger I mentioned.

The only problem is I want to play them all now!

TSchmee
09-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I was immediately attracted to how the Wizards work in 4e, despite usually playing support characters like Clerics or Bards in 3e. So I decided on a Pyromancer :mad:. He is fun in every way.

Backstory / Worldview:

Magic.
Magic is the most unpredictable, the most capricious, of all of the forces. Or should I say, of all the elements? It is both. It is both the air and the wind, the sea and the storm, the earth and the quake.
It was Corellon that laid the seeds of Magic in the world. His domain is art, and so the fools believe that Magic is Art. “Art requires purpose, elegance and mastery of principles,” they say. But do not the straightest of trees have twisted roots? Is not the finest silk woven of worm shit?

What is it that makes a spell evil? Is it a lack of mercy? By casting a spell, no matter what spell, you are imposing your will on the cosmos; overcoming reality itself by sheer force of will. Tell me a merciful force. Right. There's no such thing. It's like gift-giving; it's not the gift, it's the thought that counts. A spell, in combat, is a weapon. A weapon, never forget this, is a tool for stopping your enemy. That's the purpose -- stopping him. The so-called “good” spells merely stop a man without permanently injuring him. The best spells are the ones that work by implication, by threat, and never have to be used at all. The enemy stops himself. It's when they don't stop that the spells become evil, because that's when you have to use them. And so far, the most effective ones are the ones that kill, because they stop the guy permanently. Although...there's a lot to be said for maiming...but that's asking too much of both the spell and its caster.
I was always curious. I read everything I could find, explored everywhere. My brother Garrett was the same way. We were inseperable.
Once, while exploring the woods outside of town, Garrett and I had found a wand of Burning Hands in an old hut. We spent days trying to figure out how to use it, but we got it to work. We played with it for a while, but then Garrett said he heard about a cave a couple miles away. We grabbed a pack and headed out.
We found the cave late in the afternoon. I left the pack by the entrance and we went inside. We must have walked around for a couple of hours at least, because when we came back out, it was almost dark. I wanted to head home, but Garrett said he wanted to check out one more thing. It was not a very big cave, and I had a torch in my pack, so I said ok.

It took only a moment. I dashed around a bend in the path and up out of the mouth of the cave. The pack was where I had left it. I scooped it up and hung it on one shoulder, checking the contents as I walked back. I came around the bend in time to see the biggest insect I had ever seen attacking my brother. He was just turning toward me, grinning - then there was a horrible, chittering sound, and a section of the floor next to him just...fell away. A huge insect, with a brown shell and horrible black eyes, and sharp, grabbing arms. I couldn't find the wand! The goddamn pack was in the way! "GARRETT!" He was already turning toward the bug, sudden realization appearing on his face-and then it was on him. He didn't even have time to yell.

I found my hands and I burned them both. I held the flame on them and burned. Bright gouts of flame.

Searing tongues of flame. Red and black and orange! Roaring, cleansing fire! I held the wand firm, and
I screamed. The flame screamed too. I played it back and forth across the Ankheg long after the thing had ceased to writhe. Then I turned it on the hole and burned that too. I didn't stop until it was completely aflame and the smoke made me leave the cave. But by then, the wand had stopped anyway...when they found me, they had to pry it out of my hands.
Flame...is truly beautiful. It'll stop a man instantly – or a beast – or a dragon. It'll stop a construct. It'll clear out a room. There isn't anything that can resist fire except very thick armor or a lot of distance. It is not “merciful.” You cast, and that's not a man in front of you anymore; it's a private piece of hell. You can watch him turn black and shrivel as his blood boils out of his skin. You can feel his flesh roasting. Sometimes you can even hear the scream of the air exploding out of his lungs. And that's good, that's very good. You should be right down there next to what you're doing. If you're going to be a killer, you should do it personally, so you experience what you're doing. That's the civilized way. It is not humane, it's not merciful, but it is civilized.

yukonhorror
09-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Thread resurrection! My character, zephyr, can be seen at unquiet lands pbp game on this site. He is a half-elf barbarian with some dabbling in sorcerer.

Vulture
09-16-2009, 07:38 AM
right now im playing a dragonborn palidin of Bahumut and he breathes fire though i think he must be blind becuase when ever i roll to hit i end up missing 78% of the time. My next character will probably be a tiefling avenger of Sehanine.

Q-man
09-16-2009, 08:47 AM
I think my next character will be a Dwarven Beastmastery Ranger, probably will have him get in the melee with a polearm of some sort. Assuming the DM is agreeable to it I'd like to give him a spellscar as well. He won't really understand the spell scar, but he's been able to make use of it so he's gotten a few strange abilities from it.

He lives in the wilderness, speaks with animals (at least his companion), and has strange powers. As far as he's concerned he's a druid, which would be more fun if there was a real druid in the party as well.

WhiteTiger
09-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Thread resurrection! My character, zephyr, can be seen at unquiet lands pbp game on this site. He is a half-elf barbarian with some dabbling in sorcerer.

That's interesting. I have been looking at testing the new hybrid character system. I am considering a Dragonborn Barbarian/Sorcerer hybrid.

Thorn
09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Mostly Eladrin wizards,1 cleric,Elf ranger,Gnome Illusionist.

Dimthar
09-19-2009, 10:47 PM
I had a:

Human Cleric (Ilmater - FR).

and a :

Eladrin Fighter/Wizard, a Fugitive "a la Kung Fu".

Frank Jamison
09-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I am currently a Minotaur Barbarian|Warden hybrid.

Amon Alden
09-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Elven Archer Ranger. PewPewPew can be quite boring sometimes, but is quite effective.

Gargs454
09-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Half Elf Cunning Bard. Doesn't deal much damage directly but certainly makes it easier for the rest of the party to kill the baddies.

He plays up his Chaotic Curious personality quite well . . . often leaving half the party trying to hold him back while the dwarven battlerager and halfling sorceror who worships Kord will stride in right beside him.

Crossroads_Wanderer
09-29-2009, 09:31 AM
If I ever play a 4e game after the current PBP I'm in, I'll probably go with Dwarven ranger simply because someone on the WotC community told me that's the best race/class combination to fit my appearance, and because it is an intriguing combination.

My current character (well, after I actually start playing) is a shifter druid that I'm taking over from someone who left the game.

kkriegg
09-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Human Fighter, with maxed out Strength and a greatsword, built to deal wicked oppertunity attacks. Here's his backstory, if anybody is interested.

When Roderick took his first steps, his father had presented him with a small wooden sword to practice with. His father, King Uzmond, was the ruler of their land and had to train his first born son well. When he died, his property would go to Roderick but his title would not. That privilege would go to whomever he had named... or any challenger who killed them in formal combat. His people were proud and aggressive, and the warriors of the land could never follow a weak king.
As he grew, Roderick partook of the pleasures of life in equal measures of the pains. He drank alot, and knew many servant girls before his 15th year. He was also harshly disciplined with sticks and starvation. His hands were calloused from practice, and he had broken many of his bones. But his blood ran thick with warrior spirit from all those who went before him, and he was tall and muscular. By the time he was 17, he had the honor of killing many brave men. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that he would replace his father.
But not everything works out the way it should. In his 21st year, an army of proportions never before seen in those parts soon came. The neighboring Kingdom broke their treaty with Roderick's people and joined the invaders. The battle was long and bloody, and the sky was black with the circling ravens who knew of the feast to come. King Uzmonds men were outnumbered 4 to 1, but had killed two men for every one they had lost.
The battle raged on for hours, perhaps even days. It was impossible to tell in the perpetual twilight. Roderick's lips were dry and cracked, his belly was empty. His hair and armor were drenched in blood. Only his blue eyes penetrated his mask of crimson, angry and cold like the eyes of a starving wolf. His battle lust could only be halted by a familiar howl. His father had taken an arrow and fell.
Roderick ran to his father's side, but it was too late. His father could only gasp out one word before his last breath escaped him. Roderick struggled to hold back the tears he had never shown anybody. He had hardly noticed the battle had come to an end. It was just Roderick and barely a dozen of his men who were too exhausted to fight any longer or escape. He was dragged to the feet of the treacherous betrayer, King Astran.
"You have killed many of my men, and many men of my allies. For that, you will be given no quarter. Execute him!" Astran waved his hand to a nearby warrior.
"Do you think I fear death?" Roderick scoffed. He removed his helmet and tossed it aside, then tugged loose the leather band that kept his hair in a pony tail. "I will gladly die in service to my King. Don't let my hair dull your executioner's sword."
One man forced Roderick to his knees and grabbed his hair, pulling it away from his neck. A warrior readied his sword above it.
Roderick waited for the faint whisper of the blade. And pulled back as hard as he could. The warrior who held his hair howled in pain and rage. Roderick's sudden jolt had moved his arms into the blade's path. His hands lay twitching on the earth as his stumps sprayed blood. The warrior with the sword hesitated, shocked at what he had done. Roderick pulled a dagger from his belt. He tried to struggle to his feet but his energy was spent. He lunged for the man with the sword and plunged his dagger into the man's groin. He, too, was soon howling.
The onlooking army was stunned. Some men rushed toward Roderick's slumped form, but they were halted by a strange, booming sound. It was the sound of King Astran's laughter.
"Ha ha ha ha haa! Well done. Very well done. What is your name, young man?"
"Roderick."
"Very well, Roderick. I shall name my next son after you. I hereby release you."
"And what about my men?"
"They will die. Their sons will be my slaves. Their wives and daughters will be my whores."
Roderick knew there was nothing he could do. He was dragged to the edge of the kingdom and left there. He would later cut his hair short and join the ranks of a mercenary band. There he would have many more adventures, including meeting and befriending an elf named Tau. All the while he bid his time, for only he had heard the last word of his father, spoken with his dying breath. It was the only thing that kept him going.
"...vengeance!"

Hibiki54
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Balrok Ignus, level 14
Dwarf, Fighter, Firstborn of Moradin
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Background: Geography - Mountains (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 18, Dex 11, Int 9, Wis 17, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 32 Fort: 27 Reflex: 21 Will: 22
HP: 111 Surges: 18 Surge Value: 33

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +12, Endurance +17, Athletics +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +6, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +12, Heal +10, History +6, Insight +10, Nature +10, Perception +10, Religion +6, Stealth +3, Streetwise +7, Thievery +3

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Plate)
Level 4: Devoted Challenge
Level 6: Shield Push
Level 8: Distracting Shield
Level 10: Durable
Level 11: Dwarven Durability
Level 12: Stonefoot Reprisal
Level 14: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Passing Attack
Fighter daily 1: Comeback Strike
Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward
Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Unbreakable
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Victorious Surge
Fighter utility 10: Shooter's Nemesis
Fighter encounter 13: Anvil of Doom (replaces Passing Attack)

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Battlemaster's Craghammer +4, Dwarven Gith Plate Armor +3, Amulet of Health +2, Horned Helm (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), War Ring (paragon tier), Iron Ring of the Dwarf Lords (paragon tier), Belt of Vigor (paragon tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit, Sunrod (8), Climber's Kit, Instant Campsite (heroic tier), Map of Unseen Lands (heroic tier), Salve of Power (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

kitsune1842
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Call him Jax.

Tall even for his kind the massive minotaur stands above those he works with. White as the driven snow, with great horns carved in odd trible designs rubbed with black soot like scrimshawed bones. Raised by a tribe of human barbarians in the far north he went into the wilderness in his trial to be declaired a man, when he returned he found only devistation and ruin. In the ruins of what was his home and his people he found his father's prize, an Executioner's Axe taken from a Half Giant Executioner by his adopted father when he traveled the world as a yong man. Jax followed the trail of those that destroyed his people to the sea, and since then has followed them into the world vowing to grind those that destroyed all he knew beneith his hooves.

Strength focused, with a large sized Executioner's axe he deals massive damage and preffers to charge when ever he can. Thirsty for blood, vengence, and glory he adventures now with a group of others that many might call monsters, a Half Ork, 2 Drow, and a Goblin.

kirksmithicus
10-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Anybody ever play a human?

as a rather humorous side note. In the game that I'll be running I attempted to get the players to play character races that reflected the campaign settings demographics. That being mostly human, with a few dwarves and halflings, and very little of anything else. I gave out extra bonuses for playing those three races. So far the possible characters are...

Halfling Rogue
Halfling Rogue / shaman
Halfling Wizard
Dwarven Fighter
Dwarven Beastmaster Ranger / druid

So far it appears everyone wants the bonus but nobody wants to be a human!

timelesstyrant
11-18-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm looking to build a war-forge tank, but being such a newb, I have yet to ask my friends for tips. Oh well, I SHALL TRY!

Geode
01-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Lucien Iados, Tiefling Wizard. His companions only know him by his pseudo name Sanctity.

Lvl 1 with racial bonuses (int and cha)
Str:13 Con:16 Dex:15 Int:19 Wis:16 Cha:17
(I got REALLY lucky on the rolls, and my DM let me keep it.)

Sanctity's soul was crystallized and broken into pieces after a secret experiment went awry. The resulting trauma would have killed him had it not been for his blue mouse familiar, who was able to salvage a shard before a rival mage escaped with the rest. The shard was enough to revive Sanctity. Unfortunately, without the rest of his soul his personality is completely blank. He is unable to remember this event, and the mouse is unwilling to tell him the full story.

Completely detatched from personal feelings, he has no qualms about talking about the hypothetical elephant in the room. His serene stare is a little unnerving and often makes very awkward silences. Talking is rare for him, even if someone is trying to talk to him.

The blue mouse familiar (also named Lucien Iados) is the complete opposite of his master. Around his neck is a choker with the fragment of Sanctity's soul attatched to it. The familiar tends to be rather spazzy from being exposed to such a large amount of soul in comparison to he should normally get as a familiar. As a way of greating, he will nibble someone's ear then cuddle up to them. When they drop their guard, he'll go for their wallet. He resembles a punk mouse from all of the piercings and metal bands that he wears.
He is fully aware of the whole situation and does his best to guide Sanctity to the rest of his soul.

emblasochist
01-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm currently the DM of my group, but there is a minotaur barbarian who, having escaped from slavery, has thrown off the yoke of oppression that the dragonborn people hold over Minotaurs, or at least has become personally free. Another character is a Changeling Swordmage who, after his parents were killed, become skilled in the use of gadgets as well as the heir to their massive fortune and a shrewd businessman himself. Yes, the player essentially wanted to be Batman in a fantasy setting. I was okay with it. Another character is another changeling rogue with severe kleptomania; he wants to steal everything nailed down or not, even the nail... I tried to tell him that there is a special form of hell for him where he's stolen everything, ever. It hasn't helped me any.

A character I played is the half-orc, half-elf archer ranger Mailee. Her race officially is that of half-orc, but her mother was an elf and not a human. It's not clear why, but while the combination of orc and elf normally could not produce offspring, she was born without much complication. (It could be that normally the offspring is just aborted, or that the mother doesn't survive the encounter anyway, let alone the pregnancy of the child) With her mother's blessing, she became one of her clan's hunters at an age when most elves are just getting attuned to the forests, and being the strongest of the clan's hunters, she had the physical strength to wield a greatbow and use it effectively. She's been hunting her father and his tribe for some time now and she has a pretty good lead on where they'll be next.

Blydden
01-15-2010, 01:22 PM
All I have played so far are spellcasters. 3 eladrin wizards, a half-elf warlock, and a human shaman (who did alot of spell casting).

Of course, if you count all my GMPCs then I have also been a...:

Dwarf Warlord
Halfling Rogue
Kalashtar (Githshtari in my game) Warlock
Halfling Psion
Goliath Fighter
Shadar-Kai Wizard
Tiefling Fighter
Goblin Rogue
Dwarf Fighter

Azar
01-16-2010, 01:58 AM
It's hard to say, i'm playing a Goblin Warlock named Blik, but I would also like to play...

*Dragonborn Fighter
*Elf Ranger or Fighter
*Human Wizard

But I can't find a PbP game to play these in... darn!

Midnight Genius
02-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I've made, as my DM requested, a story-related character for his campaign
and I absolutely love her <3
She's a human artificer with a Marmoset named Cyre. Just hit paragon level, took the human paagon path which is pretty cool, plan on doing Eternal Seeker for an epic destiny.
She's a spunky, willful, sneaky princess of Breland who has made it her purpose in life to find out what happened to Cyre, what's going on in the Mournland, and why.
I absolutely love playing her, and this is the first time I've made use of the journal feature of the Character builder. She keeps a journal of her escapades and what she learns. At present we're on a mission to stop the war from starting up again. Dumb Valenar :/

Clerical_Errer
06-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Addelbirch Roe, a Dwarven cleric who hates to get dirty, doesn't like making things, isn't very intrested in wealth and really really enjoys evening tea.

kirksmithicus
07-08-2010, 04:13 PM

I didn't go with the Dwarven Ranger, instead I tried a human warlord. Didn't go so well, turns out I like strikers more than controllers. My second character is a Halfling Two-blade Ranger named Zander Strifeweaver, a humble antiquities dealer from Amn.

SirSlither
07-16-2010, 07:16 PM
My favorite character so far for 4e would my human rogue named Knox Ratter.

The character came about as I was trying to come up with a back story for a rogue that did not involve anything sorted or immoral. And then it came to me a country ratter.

He was raised by his adopted father who rescued him from an abusive home. He grew up traveling a small circuit of villages killing rats for the local farmers. As a ratter he learned about traps as well as stealth. I got stumped to be honest on how he learned about locks but I just rationalized that sometimes he needed to break into a building to hunt down his quarry. Life on the road has toughened him and he knows that the world is a dangerous place. And good in it must be cherished and guarded. He has spent his early years doing Pelors work protecting the harvest from rats, now that he is of age he is ready to take on Pelors other foes.

Talmek
07-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Talmek "the Anvilbreaker" - Dwarf Warlord (Inspiring Presence Build)

Talmek "the Anvilbreaker" is gruff and stand-offish (typical of a dwarf), but is fiercely protective of children and the poor, regardless of their race. He has always been slow to make friends, but is one that stays committed to those he trusts. He is brutally honest, preferring to hurt someone's feelings than lie or sugar-coat his opinion.

Although he lends some credence to the generalizations of dwarves made by the other races, he is well-spoken and can be influential in situations where his endeavor's success or failure depends on it.

Tall and broader than most other dwarves, Talmek knows his height and mass have intimidated those of his race, and has used this fact to his advantage in the past. However, as he has progressed into adulthood he has found that he is more comfortable in the company of other races, who tend to be less observant of his exceptional height for his race.

As a newborn Talmek was abandoned at a temple of Moradin without even a name offered by his birth mother. His surname "Anvilbreaker" was given to him by the clerics of the temple as a young dwarf, not because of his strength so much as his sheer determination to succeed.

He departed the protection of the temple and the lands of the dwarves as a young adult, hungry for adventure and to test his abilities. He has since found his place in the world with the company of other adventurers and looks to lead them to victory.

Geode
07-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Thorin: Human Darkpact Warlock. Lawful Good. Devout follower of Pelor.
He accidentally made a pact with a spirit from the Underdark as a child.
The pact binds them both in different aspects. Should either party violate their end of the pact, the contract is considered void and their soul is forfeit.

The spirit uses Thorin as an anchor, sees through his eyes, and fights through him. Thorin considers the spirit an abomination and actively seeks to annul the pact.

Pendragun
08-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I play a tiefling hybrid fighter/ranger named Dagger. Yeah, he uses flaming daggers. Not the most optimal build I've ever made, but he is fun to play, as he's a little more intelligent and charismatic than most characters of his class. He does have a lot of versatility in that he is equally effective ranged or melee. It's an online game, though, so he progresses REALLLY SSSSLLLOWWWLYYYY. :(

I've also converted most of my legacy characters to 4th edition to see how I like them. I think the one I would be most interested to play again would be Arathestra, my elven ranger specializing in the bow. I think I actually like her better in 4th edition than previous editions.

Argetlahm
08-15-2010, 09:02 PM
I've played three different characters in 4th Edition so far.

Jonas Renard, Warforged Fighter. He was my first D&D character ever. His defining quirk was that he didn't actually want anyone to KNOW he was Warforged, and as such insisted on separate sleeping quarters whenever the party was in town, and owned a tent and bedroll in spite of the fact that he had no real mechanical (pun unintended) use for them. He wore a heavy cloak over his armor and a large hat, which he explained as a habit he'd picked up from when he used to live in the desert. His skills and magic items were weighted in the general direction "I want to be able to jump as my charge to avoid difficult terrain," leading him to have lots and lots of athletics, and the shoes that allow you to take 10 on any Athletics or Acrobatics check. Of course, running into such traps as "Noose from above tries to choke you!" and "Room filling with water!" quickly made hiding his nature less than feasible.

One trait that eventually defined Jonas is his utter inability to hit anything with his crossbow, despite a decent Dexterity stemming from his spear use. Generally, what would happen is at the start of any combat encounter, Jonas would utilize Quick Draw to pull out his crossbow, load it, then shoot a wall, or a tree, or sometimes a barrel. Mechanically, one could say that any time I drew the crossbow, I was guaranteed to roll a 1. When I became DM, my players were fighting against an evil Warlock who, near death, was about to reveal the plans of his wizard master. A man who appeared to be Jonas kicked in the door of the room and shot the Warlock in the chest. One of my players protested "Hey! You have to roll for that!" I did. Natural 20. Same player "Dude never hits anything with that crossbow. He has to be a fake!" Lo and behold, he was right, but due to terrible Insight and Perception rolls, they couldn't, in-character, determine this. This was probably my proudest moment with the character, that the players were actually able to determine that he was a fake based on an attack roll :D

Zaden Gres, Human Ranger, was one that I only really got to play for one session. During that session, he was set on fire twice, and ultimately never actually succeeded in getting himself to NOT be on fire. I ended up blaming this on his inventory, which consisted of standard adventurer's stuff, and about a gallon and a half of oil for lanterns, since no one in the party had Low Light vision, let alone Dark Vision. We never completed the dungeon crawl he was part of, so he's still on fire, sitting in a dungeon, frozen in time :p

My current character is a Shadar-kai ship captain and Swordmage, multi-classed into Wizard, named Roias Silverstar. He likes to think of himself as a dashing ship captain, whom all the ladies swoon over and who can sway even the hardest-hearted leader to allow him and his crew passage, but his poor charisma (10 at level 18) ultimately ends up dashing these thoughts. He is, in setting, from the frozen plains surrounding a port city far to the north called Fallport, so named because it is built in the shadow of a mountain with rising waterfalls, an effect he imitated flanking the main walkway leading into Fallport Keep through liberal use of his magic. He has a bit of a flair for the dramatic, and during a battle with a giant demon spider, demonstrated that he can communicate in Abyssal by taunting the creature, goading it into fighting him as it had little chance of hitting him. He has no shortage of Teleport powers, and through use of Devious Jaunt and an Incisive Dagger, can teleport 12 spaces with Shadow Jaunt :cool:

Roughly 100 years prior to the events of his campaign, the Captain was known as Roias of Namasar. He was a Rogue of a nomadic warrior tribe who had sworn his blade to the defense of Fallport. A white dragon had taken up residence in the mountains west of Fallport, and was threatening the destruction of the city if they didn't send it offerings weekly. The leader of Fallport, Baron Graaft Ravynmyst, was busy dealing with Gnolls who also lived on the mountain, and were currently being displaced by the white dragon. Roias, seeing this as a lose-lose situation for Fallport, slipped out under cover of dark and climbed Mount Namasar to deal with the dragon personally. The battle was harrowing, but Roias ultimately came out on top, managing to land the finishing blow with a silvered shuriken he grabbed from the dragon's hoard. After tending his wounds, Roias returned to Fallport with a bag full of dragon scales. Not long after this, he was accepted into the order of Arcane Knights, rising through the ranks until he ultimately became Grand Master of the Arcane Knights, a position he actually loathes, as it absorbs time that could be spent sailing the seas and exploring the world, two of his favorite activities (and ones that he spent the better part of 60 years performing, ultimately mapping the length and breadth of his world).

The other reason he hates the position is the uniform that comes with it. His normal clothing is a relatively light blue tunic that covers his leather armor, and a pair of loose-fitting brown trousers. His uniform is a heavy white coat, heavy white trousers, heavy white gloves, and heavy white boots, all of these with actual etched gold plates sewn into them. The uniform weighs no less than 60 pounds, provides no actual benefit other than being heavy clothing in a near-arctic environment, is probably worth several thousand gold pieces, and is, to quote the good captain, "Quite possibly the most repulsive and garish garment I have ever had the displeasure of having to wear to every. Single. Major. Event. Honestly, if the uniform hadn't been designed nearly a hundred years before my grandparents were born, I'd swear they made it this way simply to aggravate me."

Roias is actually a middle-high level NPC in the setting he originates in, one that I've been building for the better part of a year now :)

Zugh
08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I dont think anybody said this yet. Drow Rouge FTW.

16 in Dex/Cha + racial bonus = 18 in each. At-will power sly flourish will deal 8+weapon damage, if your like me then you took the Rapier proficience feat to make it 1d8+dex(4)+cha(4).

Deals damage like its a poker game.

kirksmithicus
08-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Yes it does. One of the players in our games is all about statistics. He says it was the best build for the heroic tier by far. Not sure if it still holds true with all the new books that are out though.

I'll raise.

You might want to check the character builder if you have it. You can take the versatile duelist feat that lets you use any one-handed heavy blade in place of a light blade. Which opens up Long Sword (d8), Kophesh (d8, plus brutal), Scimitar (d8, high crit), and Broadsword (d10)

Proteas
11-10-2010, 12:02 AM
I've made a gnome wizard, that i haven't managed to use much yet these days. We're still running mainly 3.5 campaigns

Dihan
11-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Starting with my fist a dragon-born fighter (Gurindall) who was working in an advanced scout party when they were ambushed by a hoard of kobolds. Only he and another survived just to become prisoners. It seemed like that wasn't the worst part of it. The kobold's were raising a ice dragon hatchling in a cavern and they were to be its meal. Fortune be praised that he was rescued by a band of adventures that was sent to investigate. Unfortunately his comrade succumbed to the cold. The loss of his subordinates caused him to leave the guard and he joined the band of adventures to payback his debts. Now this is where I wish the ice dragon had shown mercy and just put my character out of its misery. Sure his life was spared but he would now pay for it in blood for the rest of his existence. The fist actual encounter where my character gets to be played, the DM lands 3 natural 20's (only 2 hits actually missed me that fight with 18 or 19 ac) on me and I proceed to be caught by a falling tree saving one of my companions. He survives with only 1 saving throw from death hes already uncontentious from the falling tree. (several encounters later) He is now level 3 and has more scars than skin at this point. I'm thinking yay maybe my luck will change for the better. The first encounter of the day I proceed to be pummeled mercilessly taking over 90 dmg that encounter. Thus is the tragedy that is Gurindall. (he should have just stayed a guard)

My current character who is a work in progress is a shardmind invoker called Nymn who somehow ended up with a balista bolt in the back. (good thing hes a pile of pebbles or else that might have hurt.)