PDA

View Full Version : Catechism of Konigsdottir: Chapter the First: Proverbial Estuarys



nijineko
08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
*Thump.*


Pause.


*Thump.*


Pause.


*Thump.*


Pause.


*Thump on the left.*


Pause.


*Thump on the right.*


You are in darkness.


*Thump on the left.*


It is very hot.


*Thump on the right.*


You feel like the ground under you is pitching back and forth.


*Thump*


Suddenly you realize that the thumps are your head striking something on each side as it lolls back and forth in time to the unstable rocking of the ground. There is intermittent creaking and the sound of water slapping against something.


*Thump*


Your eyelids crack open. Light filters dimly through some small cracks above you. There are large shadowy objects on either side of you. You flex your muscles, and manage to stop the thumpings... but also realize that you have been pounced upon by a headache, one that seems determined to investigate the contents of your skull. You also realize that you must be on a boat. You seem to be pinned, with heavy somethings resting on top of your body. Some of them have uncomfortable edges.

nijineko
09-01-2008, 07:01 PM
The wan light through the cracks is occasionally occluded, sometimes shortly, sometimes for a long time. After some painful mental plodding, you realize that the short intervals are someone crossing overhead, and the long intervals are likely caused by cloud cover. The air is not only hot, but rather stifling.

Midnight
09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Rilde figures it must be an unusually hot day; if she's on a boat, she must have gotten drunk after a long day of caring for the wounded and passed out--hence the headache (it's happened before :rolleyes:). Probably people had to take a boat in order to go after the orcs and took her aboard. She's still a little confused as to what she's doing pinned; probably something went wrong once they set sail.

Loudly and grumpily (noticing the pounding headache): "Will someone get me out from under this junk before I smash something? Fiera, you just out-wrestled me a day or two ago, so wrestle this junk off of me before I smash something. Kord's wrath! I have orcs to slay!"

If no one answers, she irritably tries to push her way out of this stuff: Strength check

If that's not enough, she takes 20, for a total of 24.

nijineko
09-05-2008, 06:34 PM
One of the passing shadows stops abruptly at your loud pronouncement. After a brief pause, there is the sound of slapping feet, and the shadow moves off swiftly. After much too much time passes where nothing happens, you heave against the weights on your body. They shift and partially move.


Some more shoving yeilds unexpected results. Above you there is the sound of many feet slapping the deck, around you there is the sound of rope creaking and finally breaking, and you tip over sliding painfully down with a cascade of hard objects, crates and boxes and the like. This time you wind up on top, and are now completely free of the pinning objects. There is a general outcry of deep voices overhead, and the feet move. There comes some muffled sounds and shouting from above and over from where you lay.

Midnight
09-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I stand up and look around. Where am I? Who are the people here? Do I recognize anyone? {ooc note: Of course I know there won't be anyone I know, but Rilde doesn't know that.}

nijineko
09-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Looking around you see that you appear to be in a hold. Where you are standing is at the base of one pile of crates which are no longer lashed together. You can see the remnants of netting clinging to some of the crates. There is some sound from over to one side, and abruptly a hatch is thrown back with a crash. Bright sunlight streams down in a pillar, occluded by someone sticking their head down into the hold you are in. From your point of view they are upside down, and their features are completely obscured by the light shining down behind them. A voice booms out from the head, and after a momentary pause, you hear in Common, "Come out into the light where we can see you!"

Midnight
09-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Rilde moves a little bit farther from the hatch, trying to put something between her and the opening, to obscure the sounds of the spellcasting she's about to do. If she can, she casts Eagle's Splendor on herself, hoping it will aid in any negotiations she must do. Then she says, "All right, I'm coming out", and steps out into the light to greet the people on the ship.

nijineko
09-20-2008, 08:45 PM
You step into the light. The contrast is literally blinding. Your eyes tear up a bit. It is very hard to see anything beyond profiles. From above the voice speaks in surprise, "A stowaway?!" You hear the indistinct murmur of voices. The head looks off to the side and the voice barks, "Gai-ye! I thought I told you to check and secure the hold before we left!" Faintly you hear, "But I did! And by the Mercy of the Four Sages, there was none present when I checked!"
The head growls a bit. "Well then, come look and tell me what you see!" Presently, another head appears in the light. "It looks like a human?" A hand reaches out and cuffs the second head. "Of course she's a human! They aren't so different that you can't tell the gender, Gai-ye. Try not to sound like a fool." The first head looks down at you. "A moment, Lady. We shall have you up." A rope ladder with wooden rungs is unrolled down into the hold.

Midnight
09-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Rilde climbs up to see who is here.

nijineko
09-26-2008, 02:39 PM
You climb out into the sunlight, assisted by a firm calloused handgrip from the first head. You blink a few times, adjusting to the warm brightness. The breeze is firm, cool, and fresh... but lacking in salt. You glance around at the crew people. At first you think your eyes are deceiving you, but what you see does not change.


Goblinoids!


Uniformly tall, dark, and handsome goblinoids? As if some divine sculptor took the various races and stretched them upwards and molded them out of dark clay into some Olympian ideal of goblinoids.

Midnight
10-01-2008, 11:17 AM
She says warily, "I am Rilde of the Snow Children. Who are you? And which ship is this?" She is trying to be blunt and forthright but diplomatic. If it matters: Diplomacy check

nijineko
10-09-2008, 09:51 PM
The first one speaks to you. "I am San-Ji, and it is my blessing to be Helmsman of the good ship Wave's Foam." He pauses and seems almost embarressed. "We are devoute followers of the Enlightened Sages, and the penalties for stowaways are clear, but I am lothe to enact them as written, for you are clearly a Lady. And the treatment of a Lady is also clearly outlined. A moment to confer, if you please, Lady." He turns and speaks in a low murmur to several of the other crew.

After a few moments, he turns back and says, "Lady, will you accept a symbolic binding of your wrists, and an escort to a cabin in which we shall hold you while we confer at greater length and detail as to what we must do? Your comfort will, of course, be seen to, as much as it is in our power to do so."

Midnight
10-10-2008, 12:25 AM
"Very well, but if you offer violence against me you'll find I give as good as I get. Go ahead." Warily, she offers her wrists. She pays attention to the cords, though--if they seem more than symbolic she may resist more.

nijineko
10-21-2008, 08:17 PM
The proffered binding proves to be a ribbon of silk, a bright red in color. San-ji holds it before you, flexing it in demonstration before gently wrapping it around your wrists before you and securing it in a bowed knot. The silk is not tight, but is warm from his touch.

San-ji, Gai-ye, and two other crew members surround you in a loose diamond. Together they escort you to the rear of the ship where there is a raised area apparently housing quarters. Inside they show you a small room with a chest at one end, and some kind of netting hanging down on the wall above, swaying with the motion of the ship. A narrow window lets in some light. One of the crew folds down a cleverly hidden seat from the wall, using a couple of fingers in a little depression. You note that there are a number of similar finger-nooks in the same wall.

After seeing you settled, the crew bow to you in turn. San-ji approaches and partly unties the silk, reworking it so that you have a length of ribbon between your wrists. He speaks softly, "We shall trust you not to remove the silk, and this should allow you some freedom of movement. Food shall be brought shortly." He bows again and steps outside the compartment. The door is shut and there is the sound of something sliding into place.

The small cabin has a few hangings on the wall, secured at all four corners. They are abstract works of some kind, with complex whorls and patterns. It seems that this is someone's personal quarters.

Midnight
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Rilde looks around the room, trying to get a feel for the environment. Is the style of artwork/writing/whatever at all familiar? The make of the furniture? Any hints as to who was here before her?

Also: I don't know what time of day is standard for prayers to Kord, but I would guess noon is a good time. It may be about time she prayed, in which case she will do so.

nijineko
12-17-2008, 01:33 PM
The room is bare, save for the artwork, and plain wood. Closely looking at the woodwork, does not reveal any familiar styles, but does show signs of having been rubbed to a satiny finish, and of expert craftsmanship.

Turning to the artwork, it is abstract, somewhat geometrical in design and execution. There are portions which almost seem to resolve into something, but your eyes keep trying to find a beginning or end to the pattern. Between the odd effect, and the rocking of the ship, any prolonged study of the art seems to induce vertigo.

Other than the fold-down chair, there is no furniture. Just the netting hanging from above, and hooked off to one side. It seems to contain padding or blankets rolled up inside. Giving up on the surroundings, you begin your prayers. After only a short while, there is a double tap, and the door is opened. You hear someone say, "Oh." And then whisper, "Forgive me for disturbing your meditations."

The person sets a tray very quietly on the floor, and does something to the wall letting down a tiny waist-height table. The tray slips into grooves, and a peg is used to keep it in place.

The person bows slightly in your direction, and quietly steps out closing the door again. The smell of cooked fish reaches you.

Midnight
02-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Rilde finishes her prayers, eats, then begins a vigorous set of exercises designed to show her strength, to please Kord. Once that's done she bathes (or at least cleans up water and a cloth) and waits for a little while (half an hour or so). After that she begins to be quite impatient. {I'll indicate what she does in that case if it gets that far.}

nijineko
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
The time passes slowly, now that your exercises are finished. There is little to see, and only a narrow view available from the cabin porthole. The various fingerholds on the wall, while clever, soon exhaust their possibilities, proving to be small niches and cubbies for the storing of objects. A shallow fold-out lavatory allows you to clean up a bit, if somewhat awkwardly.

The ship, while visually uninteresting, is awash with familiar sounds. The familiar slap-splash of the waves, the creaking and twanging of the rigging and sails, the cry of birds. Even the calls of the oddly melodic basso voices are the sounds of sailors everywhere.

You are just about reaching the end of your patience when there is a polite double tap at the door.

Midnight
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Somewhat sharply: "Enter!"

She is sitting on her bed, looking slightly grouchy (which she is; she's not used to sitting still for so long).

nijineko
02-21-2009, 12:06 AM
There is a sliding sound and the door opens. A crew-being, somewhat thin and wiry looking, half-bows to you. He steps back and to one side, gesturing that you should come out. He is dressed as the others in clothes of a light and simple cut of neutral colors.

Midnight
02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
"Let's go!" She stands up and waits for the "man" to proceed.

nijineko
02-25-2009, 12:00 AM
After a momentary hesitation, he proceeds. He leads you down a short hall and around a corner to the left, past more panels-which after a moment-you associate with your door. Instead of opening out into the hall or into the room, they all appear to be made to slide into the walls. He stops in the hall between two wider panels, one on each side of the hallway, and taps on the one to his right. The vertical slats that make up these doors have been carved into decorative designs. Over his shoulder you see the hall continue past more panels and make another left.

A low voice is heard, and the crew-being opens the panel and again steps aside gesturing you in with a half-bow.

Midnight
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
(Sorry for delay, didn't realize you were waiting for me.)
Rilde strides in and looks around for someone in command. She says firmly and with a touch of irritation, "I'm here and I've accepted temporary imprisonment. Thank you for taking me on your ship, but I want to know what will happen to me. I am willing to work for my passage. I would also like to know where we are and where we're going."

nijineko
03-20-2009, 03:55 PM
You step into a finely appointed room, which must take up the entire upper back portion of the ship. Something clear fills large portions of the back wall, giving a fine view of the waters. The waters seem a very different color, and the waves are much gentler than what you are used to seeing. There is a low table in the center around which are numerous backrests that sit flush upon the floor. A small hanging lamp, adorned with numerous slender tinkling crystals encasing globes of some liquid in which floats small objects giving forth light. There are hangings and floor coverings, the wood surfaces are all of a finely colored and satiny looking polish, gleaming-almost glowing. Around the table sit a number of goblinoids, you count nine. Among them you recognize San-ji, sitting with his back towards the windows. From the attitude and positions of the others you intuit that he is of some importance, likely the figure of authority that you seek.

The expressions on the faces of those who have turned to see your entrance range from shocked to disapproving to blank to amused. San-ji himself has a somewhat bemused expression on his face. He gestures towards you, "Lo-fan, will you be so kind as to remove the bond from our guest. Here, she is to be treated as Lady. Wave's Foam would not have it another way." The goblinoid who escorted you steps forward and you feel his touch on your wrist. There is a moment of odd warmness, and then he is removing the ribbon from your wrists.

Midnight
03-20-2009, 05:28 PM
She stretches her arms. "San-ji--is that how I should address you?--thank you for seeing me. So, what's to become of me?"

nijineko
04-16-2009, 06:15 PM
He regards you a moment, silently. You feel the weight of all the gazes upon you. "We have reached something of a deadlock concerning you," he admits. His gaze sweeps his fellows and then returns to you. "You have obviously sailed before, recently even. Were you a passenger, on some ship perhaps?"

Midnight
04-18-2009, 04:10 PM
"I was not on a ship. I do not know what manner of being brought me here." She briefly describes her situation. "I heard a strange music, fell asleep, and then woke on your boat. Thank you for your care of me. I don't suppose you've seen my sister? You'd know her--she looks much like me."

nijineko
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
There is some soft muttering between the group around the table. After a bit, San-ji replies, "The treatment of a Lady is unquestionable. Sadly, there was only yourself. A search of the holds were conducted after your unexpected... discovery. Were you expecting her to be with you?"

Midnight
04-29-2009, 05:55 PM
"I do not know how I got here; I had hoped that she would be with me, that is all. Now, where are we and where are we headed? I wish to return to my own home, wherever that is. I live in the far north, among the Snow Barbarians. I am of course willing to work for my passage--I'm somewhat familiar with boats and can heal and fight. Can you describe more of this place to me?"

nijineko
05-12-2009, 11:08 PM
There is some more muttering and gesturing around the table, some of it sounding a bit scandalized. With sudden insight, you realize that the gestures are more than casual expression of the body, there is some meaning to them. Finally, the table is silent.

San-ji coughs gently into his hand. "Different indeed are the other ways of other kinds. While you travel with Wave's Foam, we wish to make some requests of you. We shall insure that you understand the full import of the requests, and you shall have a time set aside to consider them before you make a final decision. However, it is necessary that these things be decided, for your situation cannot remain unresolved, lest the honor of Wave's Foam be tarnished... which," and there is a sudden hardness in his voice, "cannot be allowed to happen."

Everyone around the table makes a particular gesture at the mention of the honor of Wave's Foam. There are various general mutters of agreement.

After a brief moment of intense silence, San-ji looks up at you again. "There is one thing we must have assurance about, that I may lay at ease the concerns of my honorable brethren. "He gestures to those sitting around the table with him. "We wish to treat you as a Lady while you are with Wave's Foam. In order to be able to do so, it is required that you remain within the bounds set for a Lady, as we all act within the bounds set by the Breath and the Finger of each of the Four Sages. Will you seek to learn all that you can that you may make this decision as soon as possible?"

Midnight
05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
"I will certainly learn what is required so that I can make the decision. I'll warn you, though: My own people do not consider me ladylike! In any case, tell me what you mean by 'bounds of a Lady'."

nijineko
05-13-2009, 11:28 PM
"We will, gladly, but the crew must return to their stations, lest Wave's Foam be displeased with us. Your word of your willingness to learn is sufficient for now. If you will excuse me momentarily, I will return quickly once all is in order, and then we may begin?" San-ji inclines his head briefly towards you. "Thank you."

Midnight
06-14-2009, 12:18 PM
"I will wait. Then let me learn." She waits for the others to return, so she can learn more about this situation.

nijineko
06-26-2009, 03:35 AM
You are left alone in the cabin for a time....

Midnight
06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
and continues her exercises. If they don't return within 45 minutes or so, she decides to walk out and see more of Wave's Foam.

nijineko
07-08-2009, 07:43 AM
After a long while (but before she decides to wander out), San-ji returns carrying a scroll, and with him is another older goblinoid. After a moment you place him as one of the faces around the table. The scroll also momentarily catches your eye, it seems to have an odd glitter to it, which fades even as you look, making you wonder if you saw anything at all.

San-ji and the other go to the head of the table, and with a courteous gesture, indicate that they wish for you to sit first.

San-ji and the other study you for a bit, and then he speaks, "This is Rann-po. We do not always see eye to eye," a significant glance is exchanged between them, "but his honor and integrity is widely known to be irreproachable. We would like you to tell us honestly about yourself and your life. This will permit us to understand how closely you come to the honorable post of Lady aboard the Wave's Foam."

Rann-po hmmpfs. "Or how distantly."

Midnight
07-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Rilde has nothing to hide. She begins by describing how she came here, saying frankly that she has no idea what brought her here. She then backtracks to give a reasonable summary of her life. Her description places a heavy emphasis upon the valor and warlike deeds of her people, herself, and Kord--probably more than she means to. She hides nothing, feeling that there's nothing to hide.

nijineko
07-28-2009, 12:15 AM
They listen intently and politely. They glance at each other every now and again... after a while you pick up on that it tends to be when you are speaking of the valor and warlike deeds. There is some silence after you finally wind down. They exchange a long look, both wearing an inscrutable expression. San-ji finally speaks, "A proud and valiant people, and you a warrior-daughter in deed." He bows his head in your direction as he says this, though he does not quite meet your eyes.

Rann-po glances at him and then unexpectedly bursts out laughing. "Not quite the lady you were hoping for, eh, San-ji?!" He chuckles at the slight discomfited expression that crosses San-ji's face. "But, and I hate to say this, if you stop and think about it, she is almost the epitome of the ancient ways, before these newer thoughts on the traditions took hold. Your proposing of her for Ship's Lady may be one of your most cunning insights ever."

San-ji has an arrested expression which becomes one of deep thought. "Indeed... she is at that. I am forced to admit... that you are right." This wins another guffaw of laughter from Rann-po, who then continues, "We all know about your hopes, and though I cannot agree with the recent changes in tradition, I do find great amusement in watching you stumble about in a haze of as yet unrequited hope. It may be that trying this delightful young warrior on Wave's Foam will show you the errors of your convictions. I change my mind, I will give this venture my support."

"Hopes... oh my, I hadn't thought of that..." muses San-ji. "But we must be confusing our guest, my apologies, Rilde Konigsdottir, for speaking of so many things of which you know not. Please ask, and I shall try to clarify."

Midnight
07-28-2009, 02:10 PM
"What is it about my story? I gather that valor and warlike deeds are not valued so highly here? What were you hoping for?

You're implying I may be what you need rather than what you expect. Explain further."

nijineko
08-25-2009, 12:51 AM
"How best to explain... perhaps a bit of history. I shall keep it brief in the interest of swift comprehension.

In ancient times, our people prized valor and heroic deeds highly. But the deeds performed were barbaric savagery against those of other races, and many times those deeds were won by piracy, or brutal conquest. Then came a prophetess, who tried to show us another way. A way where valor and honor could be won, and yet the lives of those we once preyed upon could be spared.

Alas, the people were most set in their ways, and would not listen. As more and more people began to follow her teachings, the Great Dread, who was the leader and exemplar of those times and ways, became uneasy and set his four greatest lieutenants the task of slaying her.

Yet she herself was a warrior of incredible prowess. An epic battle ensued, said to have lasted an entire day, and well into a moonlit night. She fought the four valiantly, yet would not strike a disabling blow, nor take advantage of weakness, nor take the life of any of the four. In the end... she gave her life up defending that way, facing her foes, to weak to lift her weapon any more, yet standing tall and proud, unbent.

When the four saw her fall, and were smitten with shame and guilt. They renounced their honor, their names, and their weapons and vowed to forevermore defend and teach her way of life.... They became the Four Scholars, and through their efforts, the rule of the Great Dread was overthrown, and the Dread himself was sent away into the night, with the few remaining followers, never to be seen again.

Ever since that time, our people have followed the teachings of the Great Lady and the Four Scholars, and modeled our civilization upon those teachings. Recently however, within perhaps the last few generations, there has been a small shift away..." here Rann-po coughs loudly, "...shift away from the ancient ways. We have been at peace for many generations now, and become prosperous through trade and competition. Some of our people feel that it would be more in keeping with the spirit of the teachings to give up the warlike traditions that accompany them.

Indeed many have done so, and the Ship's Lady has become more of an example of proper manners and grace and beauty, among many of the other good things that are taught in the writings of the Lady and the Four Scholars. And in fact, there is one such Ship's Lady, who is soon to retire..." San-ji trails off into some sort of reverie.

Rann-po clears his throat, chuckles, and says, "He has hopes that she might choose him, " with a saucy wink. "In any case, you seem quite the fit for the older ways, though I can't recall ever having heard of any of your kind that were adept upon the waters, or indeed of any great numbers ever since the Scourging. Though we mostly ply the profitable lanes of the Surrounded Sea, and have never far-travelled."

San-ji snaps out of it, and you see a dusky hue spread across his cheeks... a blush. "Quite so, quite so. The end of the story is that though we have been profitable, that we have never been selected to be blessed with the grace and presence of a Ship's Lady. Well... that is to say, that none have found... er, what I mean is that there have been some, potential... or rather, not... " San-ji trails off after a few aborted attempts to finish his sentence.

Rann-po elbows him jovially. "She didn't like them, any of them, and didn't I say she wouldn't!" San-ji rolls his eyes, but then heaves a sigh.

Midnight
08-27-2009, 01:07 PM
"I am confused. You speak of the Great Lady renouncing violence " {she can't help but look slightly taken aback and perhaps disagreeing with this idea} " and the Four Scholars following her example. If you're following their example, then presumably you gave up violence a long time ago. So why do you speak of a shift away from warlike traditions only in recent years? If you're following ways of peace, then what warlike traditions remain? I assume the Ship's Lady is one of them.

"I take it that you, Rann-po " {looks at him} " are more traditional, balancing warlike traditions with peace, while you, Sann-ji " {looks at him} " follow newer traditions. And you have somehow chosen candidates for a Ship's Lady, and your ship has somehow indicated her refusal of them.

"So you think I may be a Ship's Lady. I think I would be honored, but what does acceptance involve? What would be my responsibilities? What glorious duties of war would I carry out?"

nijineko
09-17-2009, 05:04 PM
They both chuckle, San-ji somewhat embarrassedly, Ran-po heartily. The latter speaks, "No, not a renouncing of violence. She fought valiantly, remember. Her way was a way of honor, to not strike down a helpless foe, to not seek a life when another way might satisfy both honor and valor; but still preserve the lives of both, to not take advantage of weakness.

"Nor did the Scholars give up violence, though they did give up their weapons. The Great Dread was not overthrown without much fighting, after all. The Scholars found another way too, just as the Lady had shown them that the old way was not the only way. They discovered ways of fighting without weapons. That combined with the teachings they shared gathered people in great droves. The more people who converted to this new way, the less people the Great Dread had in his armies.

"I think perhaps that the most important thing she taught us was that if honor seems to demand the life of another in order to be satisfied, it is no longer honor, but a pride which if followed will inevitably lead into evil."

In the brief silence that follows, San-ji speaks, "That teaching preserved the lives of our peoples, our culture. Before we would war against each other because our various peoples are slightly different, or against others for plunder and spoils and slaves. But by respecting the lives of each other, and eventually those of other races, we found that we could still win honor and valor in combat, but preserve the lives of those we fought.

"Today our peoples have become successful merchants instead of pirates, guardians of others instead of killers, competitors with other nations instead of enemies. The Great Arena has become a popular venue of trade with many of the nations with whom we trade, and also permits us to win honor and valor without death or destruction.

"Other than competition between tribes and companies and other nations, we have been at peace for several decades now. Some no longer see the traditional ways as necessary, except perhaps among certain individuals who participate in the Great Arena.

"Also... when a Ship's Lady retires, she chooses from among the available Helmsmen. There are few honors greater than being chosen by a Ship's Lady. I think, she fancies me... I hope."

"Only problem is, she's of this newfangled way of thinking," Ran-po breaks in. "And thus might not be well disposed towards a more traditionally minded Helmsman. We are a successful crew, with Wave's Foam's blessing. Despite lacking a Ship's Lady, we have done well... so far. But it is only a matter of time."

San-ji recovers from his revere. "As far as duties go, a Ship's Lady speaks the will of her Ship. She leads the crew, she is a guide to and teacher of the Way, and she protects the crew."

"And she leads the crew in battle, rare as that may be these days," interjects Ran-po.

San-ji sighs, "Yes, that too."

Midnight
10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
{ooc: Edited because they repeatedly mentioned the ship's name; I managed to miss it somehow.--midnight42}

"I think I have overemphasized warfare. Yes, we find honor and glory in combat, but I would agree that slaying another does not in and of itself bring honor. It's the honorable conflict and striding of strength that brings honor, not killing in itself. Killing someone merely to satisfy honor defeats the point; honor is gained because one faces a worthy opponent, not because you kill one whom you feel has insulted you.

"I would be honored to be your Ship's Lady, if Wave's Foam will have me, but I must admit honestly that your people are strangers to me. I don't know your ways. If I do agree to lead you, it is very important that you inform me of your ways, so I don't cause insult or embarass someone unnecessarily. Still, if your Ship will have me, I accept.

"A few last questions. What is my relationship to the captain? Am I the captain if I become Ship's Lady? If not, which of us has authority in which circumstances? I will warn you that my life has been one of independence, not leadership, but I can and will do my best for you and the worthy Wave's Foam."

nijineko
11-21-2009, 02:40 AM
You see pleased expressions as you speak, both of which suddenly turn surprised, for a brief moment towards the end of your comments. The two look at each other, then grin, united in some similar thought. The turn to look at you, giving you the sudden impression of two boys eager to show someone the creepy-crawly something they just caught, despite their age. They rise and approach you.

"Of course, you will be given access to the Writings in order to study."
"And we will help teach you and guide you directly."
"It is truly said that seldom will one forget a lesson learned by experience."
"But you'll do fine, just trust Wave's Foam."
"We'd best not keep her waiting, she's been feisty lately."

During this spate of words, you are skillfully and politely guided out of the room and into the hallway. You end up with one of them on each side of you, directly facing the wall opposite. You blink suddenly as the wall in front of you seems oddly distant for a brief moment. There is something about the pattern on the wall...

{{{please make a will save?}}}

In your moment of distraction, you hear, as if distantly, Ran-po say, "Should I warn the crew?" And San-ji reply, "Yes, please. I expect this to be much different from last time, however, but it is still wise to take precautions." Ran-po dashes off.

There really is something strange about the wall panels directly in front of you....

Midnight
11-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Rilde's Will save

nijineko
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
The panels on the wall seem to have somewhat of a similar pattern on them as the abstract artwork on the wall in the chamber you were held in briefly. Only, much more complex, and somehow, as you look at them, alive. You suddenly notice colors which before were but tints and shadows along edges, and in the variations of colors patterns within patterns. Whichever portion you are looking directly at does not move, as you would expect, but everything around where you are looking at directly seems to begin moving and shifting after a second or two. You keep trying to catch a part of the pattern actually moving, but no matter where you look at, it is still. You blink, momentarily losing vision, and feel a wave of dizziness.

(((please roll a will save or an int check, whichever is better for you. and while you are at it, please also roll three wills and three forts, i will need them shortly....)))

Midnight
05-22-2011, 02:37 PM
I will make a Will save for the first one, followed by the requested ones.
First Will save
Second Will save
Third Will save
Fourth Will save
First Fort save
Second Fort save
Third Fort save